The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 833 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3863Likes

post #24961 of 26429 Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
^^^^^^^^^

I would only add that besides the WCG (Wide Color Gamut) improving color fidelity, HDR gives the contrast a huge boost, resulting in much BRIGHTER WHITES and BLACKER BLACKS. I rarely see a marked difference in details, but the difference in COLORS and CONTRAST can be quite dramatic (or, at the very least, discernible) with High Dynamic Range.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24962 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^^^

I would only add that besides the WCG (Wide Color Gamut) improving color fidelity, HDR gives the contrast a huge boost, resulting in much BRIGHTER WHITES and BLACKER BLACKS. I rarely see a marked difference in details, but the difference in COLORS and CONTRAST can be quite dramatic (or, at the very least, discernible) with High Dynamic Range.
On my OLED, SDR is already the blackest black
But not being pedantic, yeah having more stops coming out of black is nice. Certainly the brightness ceiling is much higher.

Just updated Oppo and my E6 for what are supposedly Dolby Vision fixes, so I'll be posting Dolby Vision comments here on.
The Oppo 203/205, now has an option to force HDR streams to play as DV. Supposedly this works very well for OLEDs.
Open question for group, should I mention I force DV on an HDR title if I do so? Doesn't seem out of bounds from say people using a Darblet, but my experience may differ from others. (If I knew what the Oppo was doing to achieve this, that would help me decide I think)

Edit: Just wanted to add my thoughts on my open question: It would become way too difficult to track HDR10/DV titles separately, I think just tracking UHD with those two HDR formats lumped together is fine. The aggregated score will show generally where a title lands, and someone can go thru and read reviews to see if comments bare out that one or the other is better (or in my case HDR forced into DV theoretically better)

I don't think this has really come up yet, as only a couple of us are DV ready, let alone the low number of UHD reviewers in general.

Last edited by JNayAV; 07-06-2018 at 05:47 AM.
post #24963 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't help you out regarding Dolby Vision, but I do have a response to you saying, "On my OLED, SDR is already the blackest black." When I had my Pioneer KURO it too had "the blackest black" WHEN THE SOURCE SUPPLIED IT! In other words, the blacks had to be perfect (or nearly perfect) in the source, whether you talking about a movie on cable or Blu-ray, or a tv series. I guess what I'm really saying is, "Not all blacks are created equal."

To illustrate, on my Sony 940D, when I'm watching anything on tv the screen goes to COMPLETELY BLACK when switching scenes (or when cutting to a commercial). All the pixels literally go to black. But when I'm watching a movie or tv series with black shots in it, the blackness varies. There are movies like Sicario that have the deepest blacks ever; then there are movies where the blacks are fairly good, but not real deep.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24964 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^

Oppo owners will probably recognize fellow AVS member Bob Pariseau's name. He's written a strongly detailed explanation of the different color spaces available on UHD and a more wide-ranging discussion for why UHD reigns over the standard Blu-ray format. It dives deeps into the weeds but is recommended for videophiles looking for technical explanations.

https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/5/...in-color-space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
On my OLED, SDR is already the blackest black
But not being pedantic, yeah having more stops coming out of black is nice. Certainly the brightness ceiling is much higher.

Just updated Oppo and my E6 for what are supposedly Dolby Vision fixes, so I'll be posting Dolby Vision comments here on.
The Oppo 203/205, now has an option to force HDR streams to play as DV. Supposedly this works very well for OLEDs.
Open question for group, should I mention I force DV on an HDR title if I do so? Doesn't seem out of bounds from say people using a Darblet, but my experience may differ from others. (If I knew what the Oppo was doing to achieve this, that would help me decide I think)

Edit: Just wanted to add my thoughts on my open question: It would become way too difficult to track HDR10/DV titles separately, I think just tracking UHD with those two HDR formats lumped together is fine. The aggregated score will show generally where a title lands, and someone can go thru and read reviews to see if comments bare out that one or the other is better (or in my case HDR forced into DV theoretically better)

I don't think this has really come up yet, as only a couple of us are DV ready, let alone the low number of UHD reviewers in general.
It's funny you bring this up because I had been pondering the very same question since Oppo's recent firmware introduced that Dolby Vision option. Forcing Dolby Vision may very well improve a disc's HDR on certain displays. It's prudent bringing it up when evaluating a disc for the PQ Tiers because it could have a material impact on the picture quality.

Having delved far deeper recently into the underpinnings of UHD's tech and what it means for PQ results, I am starting to come to the conclusion that a UHD's 4K quality is more dependent on the display and player combination than we've seen from Blu-ray. The variation in what we each see with differing hardware set-ups introduces a few problematic issues for the PQ Tiers itself. We soon might have to go back to everyone listing which player and display they are using for each UHD recommendation in the thread. It definitely wouldn't hurt.

The situation should improve as UHD matures as a format and the hardware comes together around a core set of principles.
SuperFist likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 07-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.
post #24965 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Is there an updated list of the tiers?
post #24966 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't help you out regarding Dolby Vision, but I do have a response to you saying, "On my OLED, SDR is already the blackest black." When I had my Pioneer KURO it too had "the blackest black" WHEN THE SOURCE SUPPLIED IT! In other words, the blacks had to be perfect (or nearly perfect) in the source, whether you talking about a movie on cable or Blu-ray, or a tv series. I guess what I'm really saying is, "Not all blacks are created equal."

To illustrate, on my Sony 940D, when I'm watching anything on tv the screen goes to COMPLETELY BLACK when switching scenes (or when cutting to a commercial). All the pixels literally go to black. But when I'm watching a movie or tv series with black shots in it, the blackness varies. There are movies like Sicario that have the deepest blacks ever; then there are movies where the blacks are fairly good, but not real deep.
No worries, I get what your saying and agree. HDR can have lots more variations in black, or have a deeper shade of black next to a brighter white.
Was just jokingly pointing out SDR allows for what TV considers 'true black' which on Oled is the pixel off. It's why some joke SDR on Oled is like HDR.
post #24967 of 26429 Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It's funny you bring this up because I had been pondering the very same question since Oppo's recent firmware introduced that Dolby Vision option. Forcing Dolby Vision may very well improve a disc's HDR on certain displays. It's prudent bringing it up when evaluating a disc for the PQ Tiers because it could have a material impact on the picture quality.

Having delved far deeper recently into the underpinnings of UHD's tech and what it means for PQ results, I am starting to come to the conclusion that a UHD's 4K quality is more dependent on the display and player combination than we've seen from Blu-ray. The variation in what we each see with differing hardware set-ups introduces a few problematic issues for the PQ Tiers itself. We soon might have to go back to everyone listing which player and display they are using for each UHD recommendation in the thread. It definitely wouldn't hurt.

The situation should improve as UHD matures as a format and the hardware comes together around a core set of principles.
From reading Ralph's reviews, I don't really see the DV v HDR10 really being worth more than a 0.25 tier discrepancy, but will point it out after I watch one.
Soon as think UHD is gonna mature.... HDR 10+ likely comes out next year with HDMI 2.1 and then 8k wider adoption in 2019(?)..... potential new format or expanding of UHD for that...... ouch.........

Those that want to split off UHD ready to split off whatever the 8k format is as well? Holy cow may get ridiculous with all the formats.
post #24968 of 26429 Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnk21 View Post
Is there an updated list of the tiers?
Soon, very soon. I never intended the Tiers to go this long without an update. But life has a habit of interfering with my free time.
SuperFist and AmerCa like this.

post #24969 of 26429 Old 07-08-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

German Angst

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Cult label Artsploitation Films distributes this 2015 German horror anthology, looking quite decent in 1080P video. All three short films in the anthology are presented at a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, shot with varied cinematography but generally eye-pleasing picture quality.

The moodiest film of the trio has a color grading drained of strong primary colors. The middle film includes some 8mm footage in flashbacks but otherwise has fairly steady picture quality. The strongest looker of the bunch is the last film with its richer contrast and pristine clarity.

The transfer has been left untouched by unnecessary processing and cleanly handled by Artsploitation Films, resulting in a technically sound Blu-ray. I don't tend to rate many discs anymore in this range, as most films these days are either strong Tier One material or land closer to Tier Three.
AmerCa likes this.

post #24970 of 26429 Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just picked up A Quiet Place at Redbox and will be watching it this evening. Needless to say, I'm quite excited. For the most part people are praising this movie for its originality, excellent acting, and topnotch PQ/AQ. I hope I'll be echoing their sentiments in my review later on tonight.

post #24971 of 26429 Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A Quiet Place

Okay, perhaps I was expecting more, but I wasn't blown away by the PQ. Don't get me wrong, it is still "demo-worthy," but I doubt it will make the "reference quality" tier (Tier 0). There were certainly scenes that rose to reference level, with impeccable details, depth and clarity. Colors were also natural and warm...a definite plus. But there were also a few soft shots and flesh tones were hindered by the orange color-grading that dominated many of the daytime, outdoor scenes. Black levels were pleasing and in the multiple night time scenes shadow details also came through nicely. I did appreciate the light grain that gave it the coveted "filmic look."

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS I really did "like" the movie but I didn't "love" it. This may have been a case of too much hype, making my anticipation greater than the event. I reserve the right to change my mind though after a second viewing.

PPS The Dolby Atmos mix was awesome (when it needed to be )!

post #24972 of 26429 Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope my comments above don't result in some NOT renting (or buying) this movie. Let me add that the acting was absolutely superb (it was the BEST feature of the movie, by far). And I'm speaking especially of the "child actors," for they were so believable you would think you were watching two terrified kids actually going through the nightmare of an alien invasion. Mrs. Blunt was also on the top of her game.

Again, the Atmos mix was crazy good. For a movie with very few words, the music score and sound effects were crucial and they came through in spades!

The plot was good, but was FULL OF HOLES. I am used to seeing a Sci-Fi movie and suspending disbelief, but I was expecting more from this given all the rave reviews from the "critics." Having said that, it still was a very enjoyable movie. I just didn't LOVE it and now I'm wondering whether or not I want to buy the UHD version. It was definitely worth a "rent," but a "buy" may not be in the cards for me.

post #24973 of 26429 Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
^^^^^^^

Thanks for the honest review. That's why when there's too much hype surrounding a movie, I get a little nervous. A Quiet Place sounds like something I should really like, but who knows? I like many movies who others think are trash, and sometimes is the other way around

However, my curiosity is contained by the current high price of both the UHD and bluray. I can definitely wait for a good deal.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #24974 of 26429 Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saban's Power Rangers [Open Matte version] (2016 - Lionsgate)

I'm reviewing the Open Matte version released by Zima in Mexico, which, if not completely the same, should be pretty close to the American version. I'm planning to get the UHD version when the price is right to get the original AR and the ATMOS track ( Mexican edition only gets 5.1 DTS-MA.)

This was a very satisfying visual experience, if a bit inconsistent and only seldomly reaching reference levels. Black levels and shadow detail are strong, while clarity and detail are very good, but only occasionally showcasing remarkable sharpness. Colors and contrast are good, but not eye-popping. PQ gets deductions points for the frequent softness introduced by the CGI effects and blue screens. All in all, a very competent transfer.

Now, here comes the superlatives. The audio mix is I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E. Keep in mind this was only a 5.1 mix and that I still don't have a subwoofer. And yet, this track was soaring across my room. Whatever bass I was getting, I got it with authority. Immersion and directionality are remarkable, and I don't doubt people who say the ATMOS track is a treat. Despite the brutal presence the track possess, it was very balanced and dynamic, and dialogue was always clear and well prioritized. THIS is a surround mix, and it's the best audio mix I've heard since the Transformers: The Last Knight, all the way back last November. And for those who don't know it, the audio mix was done by and AVS fellow member. He surely knows better than anyone what people in here want from an audio mix.

Needless to say, this movie was pure mindless fun, that surely has lots of replay value just for the audio mix alone.

Tier Recommendation: 1.5

Here are a couple of reviews, one fof the UHD, which apparently is much superior to the bluray, and one for the regular bluray:

Djoberg's (UHD)(0.25): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post54926104

Snell's (1.0): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post55214526

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #24975 of 26429 Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Life (2017 - Sony)

This is a very color-graded movie which exhibits a particular aesthetic. There are very few chances for showing striking colors or contrast, but the clarity and detail are remarkable for most of its running time, easily reaching reference very often. There are some problematic scenes and shots, but I've gotnto say that, personally, I liked a lot the look of the film. Black levels and shadow detail were strong for me, and at no point detracted from the viewing experience. Had the movie showed more consistency, this disc would be in tier zero.

I got this movie because the bass track was recommended frequently in the Ultimate Bass thread. But I'm pleased to report that I ended enjoying the movie A LOT, and for the entirety of its running time I was sucked in to their world, and was toroughly entertained. What I got from the audio mix with my setup was fantastic, and I can't wait to rewatch the movie with a sub!

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

A couple other reviews:

John Mason (2.0) ( What??): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post54473969

Djoberg's (1.25): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post53878865
djoberg likes this.

post #24976 of 26429 Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kong: Skull Island (2017 - Warner)

Competent transfer that gets the job done nicely, but suffers from inconsistency and some color grading that hurts the PQ potential. What's impressive about the disc is the highly detailed and textured CGI. It is a feast to the eyes, and makes the creatures to look *almost* real. Other than that, the visual presentation is often satisfying, but rarely truly impressive.

Much like Power Rangers, the real star here is the audio track. Fun from start to finish, with a nice selection of music, and pummeling when it needs to be. Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts is someone to look for, at least in terms of visuals and action sequences, because the visual imagery was stunning, and many of the shots involving Kong were majestic.

(I just read the the BD defaults to the 5.1 DTS-MA, instead of the ATMOS track. I just have a 5.0 setup, but the ATMOS could have additional punch).

Other reviews:

Djoberg's (UHD, 0.75 - 1080, 0.75): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post54377241 + https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post56146778

Snell's (1.75): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post54431689

Doxie's (UHD, 0.75 -1080, 1.0): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post55270460
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #24977 of 26429 Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Point Break (2015 - Warner)

This BD has some egregious color grading... but I absolutely loved the look of it. Despite the particular green-ish look and intentional aesthetic limitations, the picture can't help but exhibit exceptional clarity and detail, bordering in reference levels for the most part. It's certainly a disc to show off your display.

And the PQ is helped by the breathtaking cinematography and beautiful locations. The "globe - throttling" in this movie is off the charts, and coupled with the amazing stunts and action sequences, that alone is worth the price of the BD. Seriously, this movie is visually a thing of art. I know this movie received serious flak, and I expected the worst, but I think the particular spin the gave to the original story was pretty interesting, and gave the premise a new life. I'm a big fan of the original, but I can live with this remake, which I believe has higher replay value. The original may be better as a movie, but this one was a thrilling experience. The audio track was definitely on par with the visuals, when it needed to be.

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

Djoberg's review (1.5): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post43913058. (I just noticed we both used the word "egregious color grading" for this movie )

Quote:
Orange and Teal hues ruined what could have been a Tier Blu contender! It's been awhile since you've seen me overly criticize a release for egregious color-grading, but this one was definitely over-the-top.
djoberg likes this.

Last edited by AmerCa; 07-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #24978 of 26429 Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see AmerCa has been busy of late with a lot of movie watching. Hopefully I can contribute more in upcoming days.

Mary and the Witch's Flower

recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

From the director of When Marnie Was There and the key animator on Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away, this 2017 theatrical anime has superb animation. Bright, fluid and smoothly drawn with ornate detail, Mary and the Witch's Flower is first-rate animation made by skilled artists. This Blu-ray presentation from Universal is perfect, there just isn't anything lacking in the pristine video.

The main feature runs 102 minutes, encoded in flawless AVC on a BD-50 at excellent parameters. The 1.85:1 theatrical framing is preserved here in complete fidelity. The colorful animation deserves an HDR pass and life on UHD. Backgrounds are certainly eye-catching, capturing intense greens and other brilliant primary colors.

Traditional animation can't look much better than a wonderfully produced theatrical movie like Mary and the Witch's Flower. It is definitely on par with Studio Ghibli's best-looking movies.
AmerCa likes this.

post #24979 of 26429 Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kubo And The Two Strings (2016 - Universal)

The animation in this movie took me by surprise. I expected the "traditional" CGI animated film that has become almost mandatory, but this movie uses the "stop-motion" technique that gives this BD a very peculiar look. However, I have yet to see a reference animated film, because as well as this movie was made, and the beautiful images and set they used, this disc left me wanting something more. What was it? I'm not sure. There were details and textured, colors were bright although not always very crisp, but something felt a little...off. Perhaps it was the techniques they used, maybe it was the models, but visually the movie seemed a bit limited.

But the above is only my reasoning to not put it in tier zero, because otherwise the PQ in here pretty solid and eye-pleasing. It's still demo material, it just doesn't belong to the upper tiers.

Movies like this and 9 are giving me compelling reasons to give more animated movies a chance. This one had a beautiful story, and is one to watch with friends or family.

PD: Jesus! I just read Djoberg's review and he gives it a tier zero #23 placement! I've watched this movie twice already, and I still don't think this movie belongs in tier zero. And also I just learned that "9" was also a stop-motion film. Animated films are definitely not my field.

Djoberg's review: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post50495681

Quote:
As with Coraline, it is the intricate DETAILS and amazing DEPTH that rule in this animated marvel. Texture on clothing, armor, wooden ships, foliage, etc. is simply stunning at times.
Addendum: I actually agree with the quoted bit above.

Last edited by AmerCa; 07-14-2018 at 11:27 PM.
post #24980 of 26429 Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Le Chef [Comme Un Chef] (2012 - Cohen Media Group)

I'm reviewing the Mexican edition released by Videomax, which was graced with a French Dolby Digital 2.0 track, which I'm willing to bet is around 192 kbps. It's not the first time they do this crap. "But hey, why the hell did you buy it then?". Well, I didn't. My mom did.

The movie started rather weak, but improved just as it progressed. It as a "simple" look, with limited locations, so the PQ doesn't have many opportunities to show off. Clarity is pretty good, there are plenty of great facial close-ups, and the picture is reasonably detailed is you really pay attention, but overall, the video presentation simply get the job done without particularly impressing. There's not really much more to say about it.

On the other hand this was a very funny movie, well-written and acted, and it had a heart. It you can get it for much less than the current 25 bucks (lol) that Amazon is asking for the US version - that at least has a lossless track -, it's a very fine French comedy.

Tier Recommendation: 2.0

post #24981 of 26429 Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDTVTest's 65" display shootout was held in the UK this weekend.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...july-15th.html

The line-up included LG OLED65C8PLA
Panasonic TX-65FZ802B
Samsung QE65Q9FN
Sony KD-65AF8.
AmerCa likes this.

post #24982 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Kubo And The Two Strings (2016 - Universal)

I just read Djoberg's review and he gives it a tier zero #23 placement! I've watched this movie twice already, and I still don't think this movie belongs in tier zero. And also I just learned that "9" was also a stop-motion film. Animated films are definitely not my field.

Djoberg's review: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post50495681

Addendum: I actually agree with the quoted bit above.
Just so you know, in my review I state that this title had already been placed in Tier 0 at #24 when I reviewed it. So, there were OTHERS who deemed it worthy of a high Tier 0 placement. My point in saying this is that MOST who watch animated titles see their PQ as quite remarkable; in fact, an animated title rarely ever gets placed in Tier 1 (or lower). Perhaps someday you'll have a change of heart and come to value the amazing virtues of animation PQ.

post #24983 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just reserved Winchester at a local Redbox and will be viewing it tonight. I'm hoping this "horror" movie will prove to be better than my recent experience with A Quiet Place. (Again, A Quiet Place had its moments but it wasn't really different from anything I'd seen before, with the exception of it being a film with very few words.)

Winchester has one of my favorite actresses in it (Helen Mirren) and the storyline sounds interesting. Reviews on it are mixed, but the positive reviews make it sound like it will be "my cup of tea."
Phantom Stranger and AmerCa like this.

post #24984 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@djoberg :

Quote:
Perhaps someday you'll have a change of heart and come to value the amazing virtues of animation PQ.
I don't know, man. There was a trailer for The Secret Life Of Pets included in the BD of Kubo, and it looked pretty awesome. Also, in other discs, I've seen trailers for Angry Birds and The Emoji Movie and both looked great. I assume the actual BDs will look even better. Maybe I just didn't like the stop-motion in this movie, or its particular aesthetic. Again, I liked the PQ, I just wasn't blown away.

In any case, I need to watch more animated movies to "develop" an "eye" for it and think of them in terms of PQ.

post #24985 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
@djoberg :

I don't know, man. There was a trailer for The Secret Life Of Pets included in the BD of Kubo, and it looked pretty awesome. Also, in other discs, I've seen trailers for Angry Birds and The Emoji Movie and both looked great. I assume the actual BDs will look even better. Maybe I just didn't like the stop-motion in this movie, or its particular aesthetic. Again, I liked the PQ, I just wasn't blown away.

In any case, I need to watch more animated movies to "develop" an "eye" for it and think of them in terms of PQ.
So, allow me to rephrase my last statement:

"Perhaps someday you'll have a change of heart and come to value the amazing virtues of STOP-MOTION animation PQ."
AmerCa likes this.

post #24986 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic TX-65FZ802B
Samsung QE65Q9FN
Sony KD-65AF8.
Well, it was no surprise to me that one of the three OLEDs came away as the BIG WINNER...that being the Panasonic OLED. I'ts a crying shame that Panasonic won't distribute their tvs to the U. S. market.

I was surprised that the QLED only won in the "Best display for bright room viewing" category. I was thinking it might also win in the "Best display for HDR" with its ability to hit 2,000 nits (of brightness) and still retain a very impressive black level.

Last edited by djoberg; 07-17-2018 at 09:05 AM.
post #24987 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Winchester

I was impressed, for the most part, with the fine details, appreciable depth, warm colors, pleasing blacks levels/shadow details, and accurate flesh tones. There were fleeting instances of softness, especially in low-lit interior shots, but in all outdoor daytime scenes and well-lit interior scenes, the clarity was razor-sharp. The only other "gripe" I would mention was CGI shots of the house; they looked fake and lacked details.

The movie was so-so. I long for a really good horror/thriller to makes it way to the big screen. The DTS-HD Master audio mix was well done!

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.90)
AmerCa likes this.

post #24988 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The movie was so-so. I long for a really good horror/thriller to makes it way to the big screen.
I hear you. Have you tried turning your eyes into Asian horror movies? A lot of the best stuff comes from there, although not everything is releases in the States. I don't know if Redbox/Netflix carries foreign movies, but a couple recommendations if you are interested:

The Wailing (2016 - Korea): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wa...lu-ray/161601/

Train To Busan (2016 - Korea - DTS:X mix!): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Train-...lu-ray/160541/

Plus one American movie which doesn't get much recognition:

The Eyes Of My Mother (2016): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ey...lu-ray/171073/

2016 was a good year, I see. These movies can get very graphic and bloody, and can be really intense. Take that into consideration if you want to watch them with other people.
djoberg and Phantom Stranger like this.
post #24989 of 26429 Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the heads up on those movies! I doubt that Redbox has them and as of now I don't subscribe to Netflix. But I can check them out in other venues.
AmerCa likes this.

post #24990 of 26429 Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:

Panasonic TX-65FZ802B
Samsung QE65Q9FN
Sony KD-65AF8.

100% as expected:

* Panasonic wins the show as king of picture quality (called it)
* Sony AF8 and LG C8 are neck-to-neck and basically comes down to personally preference.
* Samsung Q9FN will basically come in last place, even though it is a fantastically superb FALD. Oh and that this TV would win for gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page