The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 856 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3233Likes

post #25651 of 25739 Old 05-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Just had my JVC X790 calibrated by Chad B. Wow. Not sure if I'm going to have more time to chime in here, but now I really feel like I have a reference display. Highly recommend calibration and Chad B's work.

JVC X790 is one of the BEST ways to view movies. Congrats on the calibration
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Last edited by SnellTHX; 05-15-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25652 of 25739 Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, that JVC projector was given an excellent rating by Sound & Vision back in December of 2017. Here's their review:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ojector-review
fredxr2d2 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #25653 of 25739 Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 606
What Men Want

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

Paramount's new comedy has excellent picture quality. The glossy, high-impact digital cinematography has few visible flaws, and embraces straightforward color grading with deep color saturation and strong black levels. A technically perfect presentation on Blu-ray that indicates source material good enough for UHD, which Paramount didn't bother releasing.

There are some that would likely place this BD in Tier 0.

Blaze (2018)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

The musical biopic from Ethan Hawke has razor-sharp definition and consistently deep clarity. Black levels are disappointing, often muddy and dull, lacking the inky depths of better-looking discs. My chief complaint is the zealous digital grading applied scene from scene, as the narrative jumps around between different periods. While the moody lighting certainly helps set the tone and atmosphere for each setting, each color push is drastic. There is only so much sickly green-yellow tint I can take.
djoberg and AmerCa like this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25654 of 25739 Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Aquaman UHD

Stunning use of color and HDR. There was a good variety of dark scenes that showcased HDR's contrast abilities with dark grays standing out against inky blacks. Also, although the color palette was predominantly blue (because, you know, it's Aquaman), they did a good job of having lush greens, reds, primarily for the scenes on land, but also for the ones underwater.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that there wasn't as much fine detail as I would have liked. There were only a handful of closeups of any of the characters, and they weren't as detailed as I would have hoped for. (One exception is the closeups of Manta. For some reason those were more detailed than those of Arthur/Aquaman and Mera.)

The other minor gripe is in the prologue when they showed Aquaman's parents meeting and falling in love. They did that thing where they used CGI to replace older actors' faces with their younger selves, rather than hiring younger actors. For some reason, Nicole Kidman looked like young Nicole Kidman, but the father (played by Temuera Morrison) had that uncanny valley look. I don't know what he looked like when he was younger, but probably not that.

Recommendation: Tier 0 (Top 33%)
post #25655 of 25739 Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Unbroken (Regular 1080p BR)

This is a beautiful looking disc.

Contrast is often perfect amidst a very clean and grain free picture; there are many moments which appear dimensional due to excellent, deep reaching clarity. I loved the slightly subdued colours and the general cinematic feel of the picture.

Really pleased to give it
....Tier 0 (bottom half)

Hi by the way!
Russ

Last edited by rusky_g; 05-16-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #25656 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post

Contrast is often perfect amidst a very clean and grain free picture; there are many moments which appear dimensional due to excellent, deep reaching clarity. I loved the slightly subdued colours and the general cinematic feel of the picture.

....Tier 0 (bottom half)

Hi by the way!
Russ

First of all, WELCOME BACK Russ! I was pleasantly surprised to see your review this morning and hope it's just the beginning of regular contributions.

I actually have this movie on my "demo shelf" and thought the PQ was amazing except for some softness and a drab color palette in the "lost at sea" and "POW camp" scenes (which made up a large percentage of the movie). I gave it a 1.5 because of those negatives. If not for those it would easily have been a Tier 0 placement for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post33175657

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #25657 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Phantom for the "Double Feature" review! You once said to me when I gave a review of TWO MOVIES that it was a rare treat. To your credit you have done this many times over the years.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #25658 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Quote:

....Tier 0 (bottom half)

Hi by the way!
Russ

First of all, WELCOME BACK Russ! I was pleasantly surprised to see your review this morning and hope it's just the beginning of regular contributions.

I actually have this movie on my "demo shelf" and thought the PQ was amazing except for some softness and a drab color palette in the "lost at sea" and "POW camp" scenes (which made up a large percentage of the movie). I gave it a 1.5 because of those negatives. If not for those it would easily have been a Tier 0 placement for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post33175657
Hello Denny!

I knew you’d be the first to reply and am glad you did. First things first, apologies for my absence - life has been busy and I haven’t watched any Blu Rays for a long time although oddly I’ve still continued to buy them. Currently I have been signed off work with some physical ailments which have made me feel a bit down. So what better cure than to start working my way through some movies...

Thanks for linking me to your review and I appreciate your scoring logic behind this one - interesting was your comment about reaching for the ‘pause button’ as I often use this temptation to help gauge my thoughts - I recently watched the first instalment of ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and was expecting many ‘Pause Button’ moments however Unbroken ace’d in this respect - I’ll write a review of Beasts shorty but in essence I was slightly underwhelmed, likely due to the dark and dim mood of the film (not a fault, just the way it is).

I did read a few pages back about your TV situation - how’s that all going now? I’ve yet to make the leap to UHD but expect this will happen next year...hopefully! Love to you and yours
Russ
post #25659 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello Denny!

I knew you’d be the first to reply and am glad you did. First things first, apologies for my absence - life has been busy and I haven’t watched any Blu Rays for a long time although oddly I’ve still continued to buy them. Currently I have been signed off work with some physical ailments which have made me feel a bit down. So what better cure than to start working my way through some movies...

Thanks for linking me to your review and I appreciate your scoring logic behind this one - interesting was your comment about reaching for the ‘pause button’ as I often use this temptation to help gauge my thoughts - I recently watched the first instalment of ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and was expecting many ‘Pause Button’ moments however Unbroken ace’d in this respect - I’ll write a review of Beasts shorty but in essence I was slightly underwhelmed, likely due to the dark and dim mood of the film (not a fault, just the way it is).

I did read a few pages back about your TV situation - how’s that all going now? I’ve yet to make the leap to UHD but expect this will happen next year...hopefully! Love to you and yours
Russ
Hi Russ,

I hope others don't mind this quick exchange between us since we've been AVS "friends" and regular contributors on this thread for a long time.

I was sorry to read of your physical afflictions and hope you are "on the mend." Yes, watching movies IS a good pass-time when we are laid aside and thus "your pain is our gain." I have always appreciated your honest reviews; you "tell it like you see it" and that is the way it should be. Again, I truly hope you can get back on track with reviews and I look forward to your review of Fantastic Beasts. For the record, I was underwhelmed by it too for the same reasons you gave.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post52868049

Regarding my tv, I was past my warranty period on my Sony 940D so I had to trash it. I did contact an authorized repair shop near here and they said it wouldn't be worth repairing. So, I decided to take the plunge and get the 77" OLED I had wanted in the first place (back in 2016...when the OLED price was out of reach for me). I couldn't be happier with this decision for in my "dark room" it is the PERFECT DISPLAY for movie-watching.

Again, I am thrilled that you're back Russ.

-Denny

post #25660 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Denny,

Thanks for the kind words, I am on the mend. It’s great to see you’ve been holding it down here with regular reviews which (along with the other contributors) continue to be a good barometer of all things HD/UHD. I don’t even think UHD had landed prior to my last review. Glad the TV situation is resolved, I can’t imagine how epic a 77” display must look!

Back to the reviews...

Murder on the Orient Express - (Regular BR 1080p)

Things started off well PQ wise with some fantastic clarity in the opening scenes and aboard the initial part of the train journey. Notable highlights: any close ups of Judi Dench which revealed excellent facial detail, a beautiful, crisp colour scheme which really captured the feel of the train carriages - I loved the glow of the Art Deco lights against the wood panels. Whilst they did look a bit CGI’ish, I did also enjoy the swooping panoramic shots of the train in motion, especially the night ones which had good shadow detail. Another high point was fabric textures - the outfits of Penelope Cruz and Daisy Ridley being the best examples.

Sadly however the PQ took a nose dive towards the end of the movie and my potential upper Tier 1 ranking became questionable with, to coin the phrase, ‘softness creeping in’ in quite a few shots. It’s a shame, but owing to this, my final placement is...

Tier 1.75

Edit - Denny I just found your review of the above movie with a .75 ranking. I must admit I did debate either 1.5 or 1.75 but plumped for the latter in the end - for me it definitely fell apart around the big reveal!

Hopefully I’ll be reviewing IT, Deadpool, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle and The Commuter in the next few days!
Phantom Stranger and AmerCa like this.

Last edited by rusky_g; 05-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
post #25661 of 25739 Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^

Thanks for your excellent review Russ. Though we disagree on the placement we are actually (for the most part) on the same page when it comes to evaluating the "positives" in this film. Again, I have always admired you "calling it like you see it" in spite of others ranking it differently. Keep those reviews coming!

Last edited by djoberg; 05-17-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #25662 of 25739 Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will be getting my Pre-Ordered copy of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (UHD) this week. I am excited to get this for I've always been a fan of the first two in the series. I watched both of them the other day to "refresh my memory" and with so many dark scenes in them they looked even better on an OLED. Our resident "AVS Reviewer" Ralph Potts has given the last in the trilogy an almost perfect score for the UHD.

I hope to view it very soon after receiving it so I'll chime in with a review. In the trailer it looks like it will have much more for COLORS than in the first two so perhaps it will be a real contender for a spot in the Top Ten.

post #25663 of 25739 Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Just had my JVC X790 calibrated by Chad B. Wow. Not sure if I'm going to have more time to chime in here, but now I really feel like I have a reference display. Highly recommend calibration and Chad B's work.
I would like to get my new Sony 950G calibrated. Who is Chad B? thanks
post #25664 of 25739 Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I would like to get my new Sony 950G calibrated. Who is Chad B? thanks

www.hdtvbychadb.com

Known calibrator around these parts. He is out of Ohio but does trips to nearly every part of the US.
bokap likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #25665 of 25739 Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
www.hdtvbychadb.com

Known calibrator around these parts. He is out of Ohio but does trips to nearly every part of the US.
thanks!
post #25666 of 25739 Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Lady from Shanghai, The

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Good looking film noir. Black levels and contrast are excellent for the most part, just a few murky scenes. Details are also nice.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #25667 of 25739 Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM

The Dark Tower 1080p

Wow, some strong contrast going on in this one! Occasionally it seemed almost too much, to the point I dialled down my displays contrast setting. That being said, I was very impressed with this disc and felt the need to pause it more than a few times. The picture was, in general, exceptionally clear and void of grain, just how I like it. Some opening scenes in the ‘normal’ world looked amazing and really drew you into the picture with beautiful colour and clarity; speaking of colours, they became muted as the film progressed into the ‘other world’ , befitting more to the stark and barren landscapes. Whilst many of theses scenes weren’t as pretty, the clarity and depth upheld so PQ did not suffer the fate of softness. I have to mention the blacks also; so strong throughout, only very occasionally did they feel like they crushed out some detail.

Overall a big thumbs up, not top tier but not far off...

Tier 1.5
AmerCa likes this.

Last edited by rusky_g; 05-21-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #25668 of 25739 Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I went looking for the full PQ list but could only find the one in the first post that was BluRays.

Is that list both BD and UHD?
post #25669 of 25739 Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^

Thanks for your excellent review Russ. Though we disagree on the placement we are actually (for the most part) on the same page when it comes to evaluating the "positives" in this film. Again, I have always admired you "calling it like you see it" in spite of others ranking it differently. Keep those reviews coming!
You’re very welcome Denny.

I’ve been out the loop a while so it may take a bit of time for me to recalibrate my ‘verdict ‘pendulum’.

As such, I’ve been trawling back through this thread a few pages each night so I can better appraise the discs I view, in the context of how technology has progressed over the years; bottom line is that we now seem very spoilt with a lot of the latest releases - this can only raise the Tier 0 bar even higher!
post #25670 of 25739 Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A "Heads Up"

Just thought I would chime in with a "Heads Up" for people ordering Blu-rays from Best Buy. I had ordered How to Train Your Dragon: Hidden World and it was scheduled to arrive yesterday. Last night I received an email from them informing me it was delayed and may not come until as late as June 20th and if it was wasn't available then they would cancel my order. I decided to cancel it and try to buy it at a B&M store.

Here's the real problem. It came with a FREE Digital Order which had to be redeemed by May 21st, so I went ahead and downloaded it. I had forgotten about this and after I canceled my order I received another email saying it had been canceled but I was charged $24.99 for the Digital Copy. I NEVER would have ordered a Digital Copy for that amount...or any amount for that matter, for I rarely, if ever, watch movies on my iPhone or iPad, and never on my computer when I can watch it on my OLED that is across the room! So, now I'm trying to contact Best Buy and they say, "We're sorry, we can't take any calls at this time due to the Help Desk being overloaded with calls." If I am able to get a hold of them I will "try" to reorder my 4K Blu-ray and hopefully they'll simply charge me the difference between the price and the $24.99.

The BOTTOM LINE for you: It looks like I won't be reviewing this anytime soon!

post #25671 of 25739 Old 05-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Mortal Engines (1080p)

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1

This is a great looking blu! It is sharp and colorful and holds its image quite well. Some softness due to CGI work, but that is to be expected. Shot on the 8K Red camera and finished at 4K. I am now looking forward to getting my hands on the 4K blu to give it a comparison.

Despite the bad critical reception, my wife and I both enjoyed the movie and thought it was well done (it does rip off several better films, including Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but while I noticed those comparisons, I didn't think it made the movie bad).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #25672 of 25739 Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mortal Engines (1080p)

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1

This is a great looking blu! It is sharp and colorful and holds its image quite well. Some softness due to CGI work, but that is to be expected. Shot on the 8K Red camera and finished at 4K. I am now looking forward to getting my hands on the 4K blu to give it a comparison.

Despite the bad critical reception, my wife and I both enjoyed the movie and thought it was well done (it does rip off several better films, including Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but while I noticed those comparisons, I didn't think it made the movie bad).
I firmly believe you'll be nominating the UHD version for Tier 0; it is stunning! It should look absolutely mesmerizing on your newly calibrated JVC Projector, especially with those fantastic black levels. I gave it a .25 ranking!! Here's my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post57748106

PS I got a hold of Best Buy and they, to their credit, refunded the amount of the Digital Copy of HTTYD: HW. Now I need to find a copy at a store so I can see this much-anticipated movie.
SteveC356 likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 05-25-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #25673 of 25739 Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (UHD)

Make room on your Reference Shelf, for we have ANOTHER WINNER!!

Where do I begin? Actually, if I begin "at the beginning" I have to admit it isn't that spectacular, for it is a scene with lots of dark clouds and fog, yet even in that scene there were details that stood out. But ten minutes in the scene shifts to Berk and the COLORS and DETAILS explode, along with incredible DEPTH. (The DETAILS and TEXTURE in clothes, hair, beards, faces, foliage, dragon skin/scales, are to-die-for!) From there we have numerous scenes "in the air" and "on the sea" (with some of the best "photo-realism" I've ever seen when it comes to "clouds" and "water"). A few minutes past the hour time stamp we enter the "hidden world" and your eyes are filled with PURE EYE CANDY in the form of unbelievable colors and cinematography...giving Avatar a real run for the money!

I've saved the best for last, for this is, without a doubt, the BEST HDR presentation in an animated film, bar none. You have oodles and oodles of FIRE (fire swords, shooting fire from dragons, fire from explosions) that will give your eyes a rush that you have to see to believe. Then there are SUNRISES and SUNSETS that again give you some amazing photo-realism. And then there are the BRILLIANT BLACKS & WHITES, along with mesmerizing SHADOW DETAILS. These are especially on display as you enter the "Hidden World" and fly through dark caves which lead to the unbelievable COLORS mentioned above. There is also a daytime scene at the end in Berk and on a snow-covered mountain top that will dazzle you, and make you wish there had been more scenes like that.

My only gripe would be some soft shots in scenes with fog and heavy, dark clouds (for there are numerous dark scenes, especially in the first half). I saw no anomalies such as banding, which can often happen in a film with so many scenes that take place in the sky. But as I've said in other reviews, I'm really "nit-picking" here, for they were "few and far between."

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (In the TOP FIVE...I'd opt for #3)

PS The Dolby Atmos mix was definitely better than the last mix but not quite as good as the first installment. It still lacked the LFE/bass of the original, though I did turn it up to -3 for the last hour and eventually my wife came down and asked me to turn it down!

Last edited by djoberg; 05-22-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #25674 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^

After (once again) "sleeping on it," I thought a "disclaimer" was in order concerning my placement recommendation. I had said there are numerous "dark scenes." In those scenes there are two factors to consider: 1) One's appreciation for BLACKS and SHADOW DETAILS; and 2) Your display's ability to handle those scenes accurately (without crushing details). If you do experience a lot of black crush you will no doubt penalize this film and knock it down quite a few notches from where I have placed it. Here's what Matt Paprocki had to say about the black levels in the beginning of his excellent review on DoBlu.com:

"Here’s a fantastic display test disc. Hidden World will challenge even high-end displays to accurately replicate black levels. The darkest scenes around 50-minutes produce alluring shadows, falling to true black without a loss of shadow detail. Pure gradients keep depth even in a near total absence of light. It’s marvelous."

I might add that in the rest of Matt's review he continues to praise every aspect of this UHD Blu-ray, especially its HDR benefits and in the end he gives is a PERFECT SCORE of 5 Stars (which he rarely does).

post #25675 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^

I just read my last post again and it dawned on me that some people could take that the wrong way...as if I was being condescending regarding other people's displays. I'm sorry if it did come across in that way for I never meant it to. All who know me on this thread know that before getting an OLED I had a Sony LCD for nearly 3 years. It was a very good display EXCEPT for issues with black levels, which I honestly criticized (especially when it came to light bleeding into the letter-boxed bars with HDR material). So, I have always been OBJECTIVE when it comes to displays, knowing that some are better than others in certain areas. If you happen to have a display and you do have issues with the black levels in How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, it's not your fault nor should you feel bad that you don't have a display which excels in the area of black levels. Every technology has its own strengths and weaknesses and we should acknowledge that and realize our particular display is, at times, "one of the factors" that determines what we see and what placement we may give for a certain movie.

One more thing. I know Matt (at DoBlu.com) fairly well, for he used to be a MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR on this thread. I'm quite sure he wasn't being condescending either when he made his opening remark in his review. He too has an OLED and he was simply stating that this particular movie is going to really "test your display's ability to accurately replicate black levels." I'm sure he is happy that he does have an OLED which is strong when it comes to black levels, but he's NOT looking down on those who, for whatever reason, have another kind of display.
AmerCa likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 05-23-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #25676 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^

I just read my last post again and it dawned on me that some people could take that the wrong way...as if I was being condescending regarding other people's displays. I'm sorry if it did come across in that way for I never meant it to. All who know me on this thread know that before getting an OLED I had a Sony LCD for nearly 3 years. It was a very good display EXCEPT for issues with black levels, which I honestly criticized (especially when it came to light bleeding into the letter-boxed bars with HDR material). So, I have always been OBJECTIVE when it comes to displays, knowing that some are better than others in certain areas. If you happen to have a display and you do have issues with the black levels in How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, it's not your fault nor should you feel bad that you don't have a display which excels in the area of black levels. Every technology has its own strengths and weaknesses and we should acknowledge that and realize our particular display is, at times, "one of the factors" that determines what we see and what placement we may give for a certain movie.

One more thing. I know Matt (at DoBlu.com) fairly well, for he used to be a MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR on this thread. I'm quite sure he wasn't being condescending either when he made his opening remark in his review. He too has an OLED and he was simply stating that this particular movie is going to really "test your display's ability to accurately replicate black levels." I'm sure he is happy that he does have an OLED which is strong when it comes to black levels, but he's NOT looking down on those who, for whatever reason, has another kind of display.
FWIW, I didn't find anything about that condescending. In fact, I thought it was a good clarification to make. With my old 1080p projector, I saw a lot of black crush, no doubt exacerbated by the fact that my walls are white, and I don't have perfect light control. I upgraded my projector, and I really enjoy noticing being able to see blacks against a backdrop of even blacker blacks. I'm in the process of planning an upgrade to the theater so I can have perfect light control, dark walls, etc., and I will be on the lookout for those subtle differences.

I think the whole point of this thread when it started way back in the olden times was that we were all excited that we could watch hi definition content on HDTVs. LCDs were a huge upgrade over what came before them, so back then talking about all of the subtle textures one could see might have come off as condescending to people who hadn't upgraded to HD yet. Now that technology has moved on, the changes aren't as dramatic as going from 480i to 1080p, so calling out all of the subtle things the cutting edge can do is important. (For this thread anyway. Certainly not in the grand scheme of things!) Just as some people took some time to make the jump from SD to HD (myself among them - I didn't get an HDTV until 2008 or 2009), other people will take longer than others to upgrade their systems to the latest and greatest, whether for budgetary reasons or just feeling like their current setup is still good enough. If anything, calling out things that could be a problem for people who don't have the latest and greatest is helpful so they're not disappointed about not seeing the effect you're describing. (To wit, people often cite Pacific Rim UHD as one of the best PQ movies out there, but I get a *lot* of black crush in the darkest scenes. I want to watch it again once I can get better light control in my room.)
djoberg and AmerCa like this.
post #25677 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
^°^°^°^
Don't worry, Djoberg. Your post doesn't read condescending at all, it's just what it is. I know what you meant.

In fact, when I'm talking about black levels in my reviews, I often wonder if my display's limitations might affect the "accuracy" of my opinions, but again, it is what it is. We certainly need the opinions of people with reference displays to give another perspective.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
djoberg likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #25678 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it's no trouble, could someone review Apollo 11?
post #25679 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Wish I could help you out! I do want to see it, but Redbox is only renting the DVD version and I will NOT rent a DVD. I really do want to see this and I'd even be willing to buy it, but so far they haven't released a UHD Blu-ray (only 1080p) and I rarely buy regular Blu-rays any more.

post #25680 of 25739 Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Here's an excellent review by our own AVS Resident Reviewer Ralph Potts:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...l#post57992776

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page