The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 860 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3512Likes

post #25771 of 26018 Old 06-28-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
^^^^^^^^^

I should have added, "You have a lot UHD Blu-rays to watch!"
Phantom Stranger likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25772 of 26018 Old 06-28-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (UHD)

Amazing...amazing...amazing! My eyes just overdosed on mesmerizing DETAILS, super inky BLACKS, intricate SHADOW DETAILS, and striking CLARITY. I gave the 1080p version a ranking of .5 but this most definitely takes it up a notch. I also gave the UHD release of Black Hawk Down a .33 placement and this is a tad better. Instead of giving you another review, I'll just post the link for the review on the regular Blu-ray.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post44632481

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.25)

PS The Dolby Atmos mix was also AMAZING!!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-28-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #25773 of 26018 Old 06-29-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I have about 90 4K/HDR Blu-rays in my library and I can only think of one that really disappointed me. I'm speaking of The Da Vinci Code, which had a lot of softness and some murky blacks. I looked for my review on it but it nothing came up. I probably still gave it at least a Tier 2 ranking though, for it did have some excellent details at times.

Regarding some of us ranking Apollo 13 high because "it looked good for an old film," that simply isn't true (in my case). You said your friend said the film looked 20 years older than it was...I believe he said that because this is indeed what we call a "period film" (due to it taking place in April of 1970). The "ascetics" of a period film is going to look different than a "Present-Day film." It will usually have saturated colors. It will often have "grain" (which I know you really like). That may come across to some viewers as "poorer quality" but IMHO if it still has good clarity, details, depth, black levels, and flesh tones it should NOT be penalised.
My friends know I'm extremely picky about PQ, and that generally a movie watched at my place will have really high quality. They mostly have cheap/small/old TVs and watch the bulk of their movies on netflix. Fury is a period film, but if you asked 100 people to guess when it was made, I bet you 99 out of 100 would guess somewhere in the last ≈ 10 years ( I think it was 2013 or 2014). No one will guess 1945, or 1975-1990.

Wolf of Wall Street has reference quality PQ, its based in the late 80s / early 90s, but if you showed a random clip using unknown actors (so hiding Leo DiCaprio or Matthew McConaughy or Jonah Hill etc) ANYONE can tell its from the last decade.

Has reality changed in the last 20-30 years? Or perhaps the quality of mastering, cameras, lenses, optics, computers etc.

First Man is from 2018, I'll try finding a scene from the movie that doesn't have any famous faces like Ryan Gosling and get a friend who hasn't seen it to guess what year it came out. Its based around the same time as Apollo 13, but something tells me he won't guess "the 70s or something?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25774 of 26018 Old 06-29-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (UHD)

Amazing...amazing...amazing! My eyes just overdosed on mesmerizing DETAILS, super inky BLACKS, intricate SHADOW DETAILS, and striking CLARITY. I gave the 1080p version a ranking of .5 but this most definitely takes it up a notch. I also gave the UHD release of Black Hawk Down a .33 placement and this is a tad better. Instead of giving you another review, I'll just post the link for the review on the regular Blu-ray.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post44632481

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.25)

PS The Dolby Atmos mix was also AMAZING!!

Glad I could partly convince you to get 13 Hour in 4K/HDR.

my copy of 13 Hours just arrived along with the also 4K/HDR version of 'Mortal Engines'. It looked reference in the cinema, and having Peter Jackson's name on it makes me believe this could be a top of the hill tier 0 reference
post #25775 of 26018 Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
First Man is from 2018, I'll try finding a scene from the movie that doesn't have any famous faces like Ryan Gosling and get a friend who hasn't seen it to guess what year it came out. Its based around the same time as Apollo 13, but something tells me he won't guess "the 70s or something?"
I just tried Searching for my review of First Man and nothing came up. That's weird since I just reviewed it the first part of the year. Anyway, if memory serves me that film also had "saturated colors" that SEEM to be the norm for many "period films." I "think" you will find it similar in that respect to Apollo 13.

Okay, I spent about 20 minutes looking for my review and here it is:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post57501134

As you will see Snell, this has both GRAIN and SATURATED COLORS and I mention that's because it's a "period piece."

Last edited by djoberg; 06-29-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #25776 of 26018 Old 06-29-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My copy of 13 Hours just arrived along with the also 4K/HDR version of 'Mortal Engines'. It looked reference in the cinema, and having Peter Jackson's name on it makes me believe this could be a top of the hill tier 0 reference
Here is my review of this "phenomenal" PQ film:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post57748106

You're in for a treat!!
SnellTHX likes this.

post #25777 of 26018 Old 06-30-2019, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mortal Engines - 4K

Holy ****, WOW. This movie is an absolute reference movie. my expectations were sky-high for this movie, as it looked phenomenal in
3D IMAX. Peter Jackson's heavy involvement hyped me to believe this would be one of top dogs in image quality like The Hobbit trilogy still is today and like the now pretty old LOTR movies, are still near reference quality two decades later.

Mortal Engines exceeded my expectations and more! Another one of those "4K looking like 8K" discs with ridiculous amount of 3D depth fooling you to think it's a "2D looking like 3D" movie. Derived from a 4K D.I. (obviously) filmed with the RED Helium 8K camera, you can tell that 4K just doesn't do the picture quality justice. It is easily one of the best looking 4K/HDR movies I have ever seen. It is hard to imagine a better picture than this from the 1.7 metres I sit from my 55" OLED. If I move 20cm closer it remains perfect. 40cm closer and it is still flawless. 60cm closer, no noise, no pixelation, no artefacts, no grain... It made me want to glue my face to the screen.

CGI is best-in-class. The image so punchy it punches you in the face. Resolution is perfect, blacks are absolute, contrast infinite, clarity is pristine, details are endless. Colours pop. Razor-sharp is an understatement. its sharpness goes well beyond want I'd normally describe as sharp. I tried looking for faults in a faultless rendition/transfer of a movie and the only 'negative' thing I can think of is that I wish it was presented in a taller 1.78 / 1.85:1 format so it would fill my screen, but that's a personal preference and doesn't defer the rating of the picture quality at all.

Mortal Engines bumps Billy Lynn right out of my top 5. It surpasses Pacific Rim (which has my preferred aspect ratio) and places well into my top 3. Picture quality doesn't really get much better than this as of 2019, that is the new demo standard. I'm not quite sure if I'd place it as my #1 or #2 (Dunkirk the PEAK PQ king with IMAX 15/70mm scenes) and (Transformers 5 the 'OVERALL' PQ king) but it definitely goes alongside those two as my three kings of PQ.

Tier recommendation: 0 (Top 3?)

Last edited by SnellTHX; 06-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.
post #25778 of 26018 Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Mortal Engines - 4K

Holy ****, WOW. This movie is an absolute reference movie. my expectations were sky-high for this movie, as it looked phenomenal in
3D IMAX. Peter Jackson's heavy involvement hyped me to believe this would be one of top dogs in image quality like The Hobbit trilogy still is today and like the now pretty old LOTR movies, are still near reference quality two decades later.

Mortal Engines exceeded my expectations and more! Another one of those "4K looking like 8K" discs with ridiculous amount of 3D depth fooling you to think it's a "2D looking like 3D" movie. Derived from a 4K D.I. (obviously) filmed with the RED Helium 8K camera, you can tell that 4K just doesn't do the picture quality justice. It is easily one of the best looking 4K/HDR movies I have ever seen.

Mortal Engines bumps Billy Lynn right out of my top 5.

Quote:
Mortal Engines bumps Billy Lynn right out of my top 5.
Quote:
Derived from a 4K D.I. (obviously) filmed with the RED Helium 8K camera, you can tell that 4K just doesn't do the picture quality justice
When I watched the Blu-ray there's was quite a lot of motion blur on the CGI (eg. moving cities).
The reviews also say it's unlikely the CGI was all done at 4K.

Also wouldn't there be a lot less motion blur in Billy Lynn (which in theory should allow for more picture resolution (depending on the amount of motion) ). In theory shouldn't a film shot at 4K 120 or 60 fps be higher res (all thing being equal, on an average frame) than one shot at 4K 24 fps (or partially 8K but mastered at 4K) with a lot of fast motion (cities moving fast on wheels etc.)? Maybe the Billy Lynn wasn't shot in the best way/camera for picture resolution (compared to Mortal Engines) but surely the increased frame rate should have helped on average (so that where the 24 fps film blured a lot due to motion it wouldn't in the higher fps one).

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 06-30-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #25779 of 26018 Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^

I'm going to slip my UHD copy of Mortal Engines in this afternoon and watch some of the heavy CGI scenes. I don't recall ANY of them having motion blur on the moving cities.

Snell's review reminded me that when I watched this film it was on my former Sony 940D LCD/LED, so I need to watch this on my new OLED.

post #25780 of 26018 Old 06-30-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
When I watched the Blu-ray there's was quite a lot of motion blur on the CGI (eg. moving cities).
The reviews also say it's unlikely the CGI was all done at 4K.

Also wouldn't there be a lot less motion blur in Billy Lynn (which in theory should allow for more picture resolution (depending on the amount of motion) ). In theory shouldn't a film shot at 4K 120 or 60 fps be higher res (all thing being equal, on an average frame) than one shot at 4K 24 fps (or partially 8K but mastered at 4K) with a lot of fast motion (cities moving fast on wheels etc.)? Maybe the Billy Lynn wasn't shot in the best way/camera for picture resolution (compared to Mortal Engines) but surely the increased frame rate should have helped on average (so that where the 24 fps film blured a lot due to motion it wouldn't in the higher fps one).
Well right now you are comparing my 3rd favourite film (Mortal Engines) against my 4th or 5th favourite film (Billy Lynn) in terms of PQ. We're separating hairs here... Both are two of the finest looking movies ever. I'm one of those guys that does not mind 48fps, 60fps or 120fps, but at the same time I am not an old fundamentalist clinging on to 24fps forever. Whatever looks best.

the movie is a 4K DI, is a huge step up from the blu-ray in every way. I read professional reviewers writing the samething. the blu-ray and 4K/HDR version were night and day.

If you watched the movie in 4K/HDR you'd find it hard to believe it comes from a 4K DI.... Certainly it must be sourced from an 8K DI and somehow quadrupling my OLED B6's output resolution

But now that you mentioned it, I did notice a bit of blur. I'm constantly torn between using TruMotion off and having a user-mode Trumotion that slightly increases smoothness without artefacts. Some high-paced action scenes made me consider turning it on... WHich overall is very annoying, I sometimes find 24 fps to be too slow / laggy and 48 fps to be too smooth/soapy.... So perhaps a 36 fps compromise for people like me that sit between the two formats??

But in the end it didn't matter. 24 fps, 48 fps, 120fps, 240 fps, whatever motion you decide - Mortal Engines' PQ is as good as it gets
Joe Bloggs likes this.
post #25781 of 26018 Old 06-30-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I just watched Mortal Engines all the way through (I couldn’t limit myself to just a few scenes with such irresistible PQ!) and I did NOT notice any motion blur. Also, I do believe the COLORS were even more dazzling with Dolby Vision (my Sony was only capable of HDR10). So, I had given this a ranking of .25 but I believe it should go a tad higher. Maybe .10 would be my choice. Putting it another way, I think it is one of the “5 best live action films.”

There were many reviewers who said the movie was terrible, but I actually enjoyed it, from beginning to end.
SnellTHX and AmerCa like this.

post #25782 of 26018 Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Mortal Engines - 4K

Mortal Engines exceeded my expectations and more! Another one of those "4K looking like 8K" discs with ridiculous amount of 3D depth fooling you to think it's a "2D looking like 3D" movie. Derived from a 4K D.I. (obviously) filmed with the RED Helium 8K camera, you can tell that 4K just doesn't do the picture quality justice. It is easily one of the best looking 4K/HDR movies I have ever seen. It is hard to imagine a better picture than this from the 1.7 metres I sit from my 55" OLED. If I move 20cm closer it remains perfect. 40cm closer and it is still flawless. 60cm closer, no noise, no pixelation, no artefacts, no grain... It made me want to glue my face to the screen.

CGI is best-in-class. The image so punchy it punches you in the face. Resolution is perfect, blacks are absolute, contrast infinite, clarity is pristine, details are endless. Colours pop. Razor-sharp is an understatement. its sharpness goes well beyond want I'd normally describe as sharp. I tried looking for faults in a faultless rendition/transfer of a movie and the only 'negative' thing I can think of is that I wish it was presented in a taller 1.78 / 1.85:1 format so it would fill my screen, but that's a personal preference and doesn't defer the rating of the picture quality at all.

Mortal Engines bumps Billy Lynn right out of my top 5. It surpasses Pacific Rim (which has my preferred aspect ratio) and places well into my top 3. Picture quality doesn't really get much better than this as of 2019, that is the new demo standard. I'm not quite sure if I'd place it as my #1 or #2 (Dunkirk the PEAK PQ king with IMAX 15/70mm scenes) and (Transformers 5 the 'OVERALL' PQ king) but it definitely goes alongside those two as my three kings of PQ.

Awesome. Love reading enthusiastic reviews. I'm saving up for finally buying a 4K OLED and new receiver, hopefully later this year.

Slowly building a list of must-buy 4K discs
djoberg and SnellTHX like this.
post #25783 of 26018 Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I just watched Mortal Engines all the way through (I couldn’t limit myself to just a few scenes with such irresistible PQ!) and I did NOT notice any motion blur. Also, I do believe the COLORS were even more dazzling with Dolby Vision (my Sony was only capable of HDR10). So, I had given this a ranking of .25 but I believe it should go a tad higher. Maybe .10 would be my choice. Putting it another way, I think it is one of the “5 best live action films.”

There were many reviewers who said the movie was terrible, but I actually enjoyed it, from beginning to end.
0.10 sound about right

I thought the movie itself was a pretty good
Spoiler!
but other than that the movie was awesome and didn't deserve all the hate it got. I do hope they make a trilogy out of it. Can't wait to see how they'll push the boundaries of ultimate reference picture even further.
djoberg, AmerCa and SteveC356 like this.
post #25784 of 26018 Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

I've been getting a grip on Dolby Vision since seeing what is capable with it on average-looking Blu-rays. My OPPO can apply Dolby Vision to any Blu-ray and makes even pedestrian visual fare stand out. I have to turn it off when reviewing discs.

One example is A Record of Sweet Murder, a largely disposable and forgettable Japanese horror film from 2014. The low-budget found-footage movie just came out on Blu-ray and Dolby Vision practically puts the disc in Tier Zero. Without Dolby Vision, the BD is just another newish production circling the bottom half of Tier One.
djoberg and AmerCa like this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #25785 of 26018 Old 07-01-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^

In my "limited experience with Dolby Vision" (I say "limited" since many of my UHD Blu-rays only offer HDR10) I have found that in most cases I do see a difference between it and HDR10, especially in COLORS. In fairness, there are some blu-rays where the difference is negligible.

post #25786 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Subjectively Dolby Vision looks better. I haven't calibrated my display so each mode looks a bit different

SDR - ISF Night
HDR - HDR Game
Dolby Vision - DV Dark

Objectively Dolby Vision beats regular HDR in every way

12 bit vs 10 bit
10,000 nit vs 4000 nit
dynamic vs static.
post #25787 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

With my C8 (and the whole "8" series of OLEDs), Dolby Vision defaults to the "Cinema User" Mode and it is EXCELLENT. No need to change the Picture Mode or any settings!

Regarding the differences between Dolby Vision and HDR, perhaps we don't see a whole lot of difference yet based on 12 bit, but we surely do with the 1) Extra nits (especially with the introduction of Tone Mapping) and 2) Dynamic instead of static.

post #25788 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Police Story (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Good overall clarity and color, but limited by some soft shots inherent to the source.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #25789 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Police Story (Criterion)

Good overall clarity and color, but limited by some soft shots inherent to the source.
I'll probably get this during the Barnes & Noble sale.
DarthDoxie likes this.

post #25790 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Dark Tower (1080p)

Well, I had a FREE Birthday rental from Redbox and after perusing the online site for nearly 30 minutes I finally found what I thought would be a decent rental. (It is getting harder and harder to rent movies from Redbox when they offer very little in the blu-ray format.) I had heard the PQ was stellar but that the movie was a stinker, but for the sake of good PQ/AQ I was willing to fork over NOTHING to see it.

Guess what? The movie was indeed horrendous (and there is no hyperbole in that statement) and, IMHO, the PQ was a letdown. I simply can't believe all the reviews that extolled the virtues of this film's PQ. Now it did have its moments....with excellent clarity, details, depth and black levels. But it also had some blown out contrast (especially in the opening scenes in the streets of New York City) which washed out details and came across as flat. Flesh tones had a "red push" at times, and there were some crushed blacks which also lacked depth and details.

At any rate, I was thinking of a low Tier 1 placement but I almost feel pressured, after reading a unanimous crowd of "Reference Quality" scores from highly respected reviewers, to place this higher. But I refuse to mislead you; I MUST tell it like I saw it. Soooo.....

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*
AmerCa likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 07-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #25791 of 26018 Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hadn't heard anything good about The Dark Tower, which is why I've managed to avoid it. A shame because the books are very interesting.

Happy Birthday!

post #25792 of 26018 Old 07-03-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Phantom (my birthday was actually on June 20th but the Redbox Free Disc offer was good for 60 days).

I can imagine I may get flamed for my placement recommendation on yesterday (that is, if anyone here actually bothers to rent it). I say this because every reviewer, without exception, gave this a 5 Star PQ score. They all hated the movie, but they loved the PQ. Again, it was EXCELLENT in certain scenes, but the overblown contrast was especially obvious in daytime, outdoor scenes of NYC, and the crushed blacks were also evident in some of the low-lit interior scenes and night time scenes.

post #25793 of 26018 Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Phantom (my birthday was actually on June 20th but the Redbox Free Disc offer was good for 60 days).

I can imagine I may get flamed for my placement recommendation on yesterday (that is, if anyone here actually bothers to rent it). I say this because every reviewer, without exception, gave this a 5 Star PQ score. They all hated the movie, but they loved the PQ. Again, it was EXCELLENT in certain scenes, but the overblown contrast was especially obvious in daytime, outdoor scenes of NYC, and the crushed blacks were also evident in some of the low-lit interior scenes and night time scenes.
Nahh, I'm pretty sure I watched this on blu-ray and scored it around 1.75
post #25794 of 26018 Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
The Dark Tower 1080p

Wow, some strong contrast going on in this one! Occasionally it seemed almost too much, to the point I dialled down my displays contrast setting. That being said, I was very impressed with this disc and felt the need to pause it more than a few times. The picture was, in general, exceptionally clear and void of grain, just how I like it. Some opening scenes in the ‘normal’ world looked amazing and really drew you into the picture with beautiful colour and clarity; speaking of colours, they became muted as the film progressed into the ‘other world’ , befitting more to the stark and barren landscapes. Whilst many of theses scenes weren’t as pretty, the clarity and depth upheld so PQ did not suffer the fate of softness. I have to mention the blacks also; so strong throughout, only very occasionally did they feel like they crushed out some detail.

Overall a big thumbs up, not top tier but not far off...

Tier 1.5
Quote:
The Dark Tower

I'll admit I had zero expectations for this movie, I thought it would be another straight-to-netflix movie with average picture quality. The movie was garbage but I'm a huuge Matthew Mcconaughey fan so I had to get it anyway. The PQ was actually pretty good, crisp detailed image and good contrast throughout.

Tier recommendation: 1.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
The Dark Tower

Tier recommendation: Tier 0 (bottom) or maybe tier 1.0

If you want to test whether your black levels are set correctly, this is the disk to do it. Shot with the Arri 65 camera, this is a gorgeous production (if lackluster movie) that really hits a great balanced contrast look.

I read a reviewer of the cinematic version claiming some of the scenes were too dark to see what was going on, but the scenes in question, while dark, were clear to me and I know that my W1070 is not up to any contrast competitions. I am a fan of the Arri 65 and have thought the PQ from movies that have used it are consistently good. (You'd recognize a bunch of the list here: http://arrirentalgroup.com/alexa65/ like Civil War and Rogue One etc.)
Quote:
Nahh, I'm pretty sure I watched this on blu-ray and scored it around 1.75
This is one of the few times I never did a Search on a title to see if others had reviewed it. The THREE REVIEWS above go to show that I need to do a Search from now on.

Yep Snell, you did indeed rank it at 1.75 so we are on the SAME PAGE!! Will wonders never cease!!!

I read with real interest what Fred said in his review about this film "testing one's black levels." He then referenced a reviewer who said some scenes were too dark, which was what I experienced. But Fred said those scenes were clear to him without any black crush. If any of you have been reading the Owners' Thread for the LG OLED C8/E8 series, you have seen that many owners, including me, have complained of black crush after the last two Firmware Updates. We are still waiting for a future update to correct the Gamma settings which will then eliminate the black crush. Perhaps the black levels in this movie will be okay then but guess what? I will NOT be renting this horrible movie ever again!

Phantom, I'm wondering what Firmware Version your new display has. If it's .15 I would LEAVE IT ALONE. If it's .31 or .55 you too will have to wait for the new 05.10.02 FW that is coming out sooner or later to correct the Gamma settings.

Last edited by djoberg; 07-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #25795 of 26018 Old 07-03-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will have to check on the firmware question.

post #25796 of 26018 Old 07-06-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

13 hours - 4K/HDR

Okay I can honestly say I didn't even realise it was Michael Bay that directed this movie, or at least I didn't exactly know beforehand. Perhaps subliminally, as I couldn't even remember if I had seen it or not. I remember some scenes vaguely, so I guess I watched it at a friends house or so 'in the background' while chatting/eating/playing video games or whatever other activity. Which is a shame to treat a movie that was as it does indeed have reference picture quality, as so many have suggested I watch it in its 4K/HDR glory as it apparently exemplified HDR better than any other film according to some. while I won't go that far it did make good use of HDR, had plenty of inky black moments (night scenes) and this might the film with the most details of any. It's like Black Hawk Down on steroids, or I guess you could call it the spiritual successor to BHD, after all it's a war movie with similarly vast amount of detail in every shot, just 15 years newer.

Back to the Michael Bay point, the first 30 minutes of watching the movie, other than the highly detailed imagery the first thing that popped to mind was that this movie looked and felt like a Transformers movie, specifically Transformers 4: Age of Extinction. The resemblance in PQ is uncanny. T4: AOE has almost the EXACT same filmic (but a bit grainy) theme going on. And guess what lol, both made by Michael Bay himself. One of the few times (if not the only time) I've been able to identify the director based solely on the picture.

So to compare the image quality is on par, perhaps slightly greater than Transformers 4 (2014), but obviously a mile a way from the PQ king Transformers 5 (2017). So while not the BEST example of 4K/HDR I have seen (others from different forums claimed such, it is a great example of reference PQ.

Tier recommendation: 0.5
post #25797 of 26018 Old 07-10-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Patrick Melrose

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

This harrowing British drama starring Benedict Cumberbatch receives top-notch treatment on Blu-ray from Acorn Media. The five episodes are spread over two BD-50s, allowing ample room for the fully transparent AVC encode. Patrick Melrose's production values are extremely high, befitting a prestige project nominated for several Emmys. It was produced by Showtime and SKY television as a joint trans-Atlantic venture. Just released on home video, the precise digital cinematography has fantastic depth and dimension for television fare.

Five years ago, there's no doubt I would have placed this 1080P video into Tier 0. The crisp, razor-sharp definition has perfect focus and very subtle palette choices. Texture and detail are impressive upon close inspection.

24 Hour Party People

recommendation: Tier 5.0*

Director Michael Winterbottom's ode to the music of Manchester dwells near the bottom of our list primarily due to its rough source material. Recently released by MVD Visual, they've licensed their "HD" transfer from MGM and it carries over the same sins found on MGM's DVD. Namely, the movie was shot at 25 frames-per-second PAL with its resulting picture limitations. It also results in this version running about five minutes slower than in its native PAL video found overseas.

Put out on a BD-25, you really can't fault the serviceable AVC encode for the noisy video and erratic detail. This is soft, blurry resolution purposely made that way to help set the movie's mood and tone. If you are pondering purchasing this disc, do it for the better audio quality. Because it's not much of an upgrade in video quality.
IronWaffle and AmerCa like this.

post #25798 of 26018 Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^

Way to go Phantom on the Double Feature!

Pet Sematary (2019...1080p)

Overall this is a decent looking Blu with striking clarity, details and depth in all daytime, outdoor shots. Night time scenes were a mixed bag, with some very good blacks and shadows details at times, but with softness and noise at other times.

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

PS The Dolby Atmos mix was excellent!

post #25799 of 26018 Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Police Story 2 (Criterion)

On par with the first PQ wise and is only limited by the source material.

Not as exciting as the first, the action sequences and fight scenes are just not as fresh as the first film.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

post #25800 of 26018 Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Pather Panchali (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

The OCN was nearly destroyed in a fire, so the restoration that was undertaken with multiple film elements and the resulting print is nothing short of miraculous. Black levels, contrast, and details are great for the most part with only a few shots noticeably taken from lesser film elements. There is still print damage for sure like scratches and occasional gate hairs, but it's not distracting and it just serves as a reminder you are watching a movie shot on film and not digital or video.

This is the first of the Apu Trilogy and I hope to get to the other two this month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page