The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 866 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3452Likes

post #25951 of 25965 Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Got the Psycho (1960) 2016 BD recently. Looking forward to viewing. First coupla scenes while checking player reading looked very good.

Okay, I'm wondering if that is the same Blu-ray that I received with my "Alfred Hitchcock Essentials Collection." I'm thinking it is; if so, you should be impressed with the restoration they did. It had an excellent gray-scale with beautiful blacks/shadow details and brilliant whites. If memory serves me there were some artifacts so they weren't able to do a complete "scrub" on the restoration, but it meets my "standards" for a film that old. Enjoy!

One more thing...the Blu-ray cover makes it look like it's in COLOR, but I've never heard of any restoration of Psycho being done in color. Let me know if I'm wrong regarding this...and if I am wrong, let me know what it looks like in color.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25952 of 25965 Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Okay, I'm wondering if that is the same Blu-ray that I received with my "Alfred Hitchcock Essentials Collection." I'm thinking it is; if so, you should be impressed with the restoration they did. It had an excellent gray-scale with beautiful blacks/shadow details and brilliant whites. If memory serves me there were some artifacts so they weren't able to do a complete "scrub" on the restoration, but it meets my "standards" for a film that old. Enjoy!

One more thing...the Blu-ray cover makes it look like it's in COLOR, but I've never heard of any restoration of Psycho being done in color. Let me know if I'm wrong regarding this...and if I am wrong, let me know what it looks like in color.
Your collection release date is 2013. The most recent Psycho (1960) single Blu-ray releases are 2010 (50th Anniversary/Bates Motel cover), 2014 (Steel Book/Iconic Art cover), 2016 (Pop Art cover). Bluraydotcom shows the same specs for all these, including your collection's Psycho (1960). All black and white. Cheers.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #25953 of 25965 Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Walking Dead, The: Season 2

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Rough looking for such a recent show, but that's probably intentional. The biggest knock on the quality is the low detail, looks like something in between DVD and BD. Color is good with all the forest and wide open spaces, everything else is appropriately gritty and dull.
I remember I bought the first season of the Walking Dead back when it was new (2010 or something?) which was still the early days of blu-ray. I was certain that I accidentally bought the DVD...
DarthDoxie and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25954 of 25965 Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
I remember I bought the first season of the Walking Dead back when it was new (2010 or something?) which was still the early days of blu-ray. I was certain that I accidentally bought the DVD...
...and I would have thought I was watching a VHS recording that had somehow been transferred to a DVD!

Seriously though, the first 6 seasons or so were horrendous and then it got somewhat better, most notably in daytime scenes or close-ups. But it still never compared to Fear the Walking Dead or the Hell on Wheels series.
SnellTHX likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #25955 of 25965 Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Walking Dead, The: Season 3

There were some scenes sprinkled throughout this season that looked really good, mostly conversations between characters in daylight conditions. Overall though, still on the rough side.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #25956 of 25965 Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^

It gets a "little better" as the seasons progress, but as I intimated earlier, the nighttime scenes are still quite GRITTY, MURKY and NOISY.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #25957 of 25965 Old 09-13-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 627
The Case of Hana & Alice

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

The 2015 anime movie receives a fine presentation on Blu-ray courtesy of GKIDS next week. Featuring 3-D CG and rotoscoping, the animation isn't up to par with the latest Hollywood blockbusters. The transfer has rock-solid black levels. This isn't a wildly over-saturated color palette, working in flatter and more realistic tones.

Regular anime watchers on Blu-ray should know what to expect from this mid-tier Japanese anime production. The AVC encode avoids banding, always a critical thing for animated films.
AmerCa likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #25958 of 25965 Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To those that've viewed Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm, how far off is the UHD experience from the theater experience? Will there ever be a home format that exceeds the big film experience in a theater?
post #25959 of 25965 Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
70mm movie projections are so rare or distant in the past, that I have the impression some people are "romantizing" the format as something incredible that can't be replicated, kinda like some think of vinyl recordings. I doubt people saw Lawrence of Arabia at theaters at thought "omg! There's so much detail, clarity and textures, this is so razor sharp" like we refer to movies these days. I believe it can look today much better than it looked in previous home versions, and probably better than at theaters, but I believe 1080p BD and UHD with HDR capability can come close enough to such quality, at least to the point of saying "OK, this looks, really, really good ".

Or...maybe I'm completely wrong. But that's kinda the point. How many people are in position to really assess the quality of 70mm projections? Very few. So at this point is basically a stuff of legend.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
djoberg and Panson like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #25960 of 25965 Old 09-14-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
I doubt people saw Lawrence of Arabia at theaters at thought "omg! There's so much detail, clarity and textures, this is so razor sharp" like we refer to movies these days.
Yeah, I don't remember thinking that.

What I do remember thinking is, "Why are we watching a static shot of the desert. (10s go by, 20s, etc). OMG! There's a man way down there walking toward us, he's a dot, now he's 2 dots, ... IT'S LAWRENCE!"

Also, in Dancing with Wolves. Sort of mentally panning back over the course of a few moments to realize that he's standing in a (apparently) miles-wide downtrodden path of a herd of buffaloes that was bigger than the town I lived in at the time.

Those experiences really were breathtaking.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #25961 of 25965 Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
70mm movie projections are so rare or distant in the past, that I have the impression some people are "romantizing" the format as something incredible that can't be replicated, kinda like some think of vinyl recordings. I doubt people saw Lawrence of Arabia at theaters at thought "omg! There's so much detail, clarity and textures, this is so razor sharp" like we refer to movies these days. I believe it can look today much better than it looked in previous home versions, and probably better than at theaters, but I believe 1080p BD and UHD with HDR capability can come close enough to such quality, at least to the point of saying "OK, this looks, really, really good ".

Or...maybe I'm completely wrong. But that's kinda the point. How many people are in position to really assess the quality of 70mm projections? Very few. So at this point is basically a stuff of legend.
My thoughts exactly. I just have to laugh when anyone talks about a theater experience from 50 years ago (typically its LOA or 2001). Even if the person remembered correctly...was the film projected under ideal conditions? Was it a new screen or did it have a layer cigarette smoke and thus not reflecting the picture correctly? Was the projection bulb new or on it's last few hours? Was the projection glass in the both clean or again covered in cigarette smoke from the chain smoking projectionist? There are just too many variables to say any projected movie is the reference to which a home release is judged.
AmerCa and Panson like this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

post #25962 of 25965 Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 AM

In the Heat of the Night (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Good looking film. Colors are vibrant in all the store signs, red tractors, and other vehicles. Black levels and shadow details are good in the night scenes. Details are nice for the most part except for two very short shots in the middle of the film when Tibbs goes to the hotel to talk to the widow. It's just a nice all around presentation.

post #25963 of 25965 Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
My thoughts exactly. I just have to laugh when anyone talks about a theater experience from 50 years ago (typically its LOA or 2001). Even if the person remembered correctly...was the film projected under ideal conditions? Was it a new screen or did it have a layer cigarette smoke and thus not reflecting the picture correctly? Was the projection bulb new or on it's last few hours? Was the projection glass in the both clean or again covered in cigarette smoke from the chain smoking projectionist? There are just too many variables to say any projected movie is the reference to which a home release is judged.
Depending on your local Bijou, going to the movies can be underwhelming these days with dim projecting. The thing I do remember from "back in the day" is how bright and vibrant screens looked, regardless of screen or theater size.

Putting it best for first-run theater vs HT experiences, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) on a new dim screen, and Lawrence of Arabia (1962) on an old bright screen, and prefer by far my home-spun presentations with the following.

mrtickleuk and AmerCa like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #25964 of 25965 Old 09-15-2019, 02:46 PM

The Towering Inferno

Not bad, but not great. Details are good for the most part in the non-special effects shots. The middle of the image is in focus, but fuzzy around all the edges in many shots. Colors are nice and flesh tones look natural. The effects shots are where the image falters with lots of matt shots and green screen. The print itself is nice, absent of scratches and other blemishes and free of any glaring processing or compression problems.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #25965 of 25965 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (1080p)

This was a "decent rental" but I'm glad I didn't order it (the movie was just "okay"). Having said that, the PQ/AQ was Reference Quality in nearly every scene! Here is a link to my impressions on Ralph's site. Excuse my "laziness" but I'm really tired and we're leaving, once again, on a short trip early in the morning.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...l#post58578142

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)

PS The AQ would be a "Top Tier 0" (in the Top 10-20) if this was an Audio Thread!
AmerCa likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page