AVS Forum Special Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Batman Returns (UHD)
Let me say it from the outset, "This one is a WINNER!!" You would never know this title dates back to 1992. In other words, this is NOT like my review yesterday where I had given the UHD of Batman too high a score because of my comparing it with its DVD/Blu-ray counterparts. This second installment could easily have been a current title; it looked that good!! Here's what I liked:
1) BLACKS and SHADOW DETAILS...Oh my word, they were DELICIOUS!! Inky, inky blacks with absolutely no black crush...just tantalizing details. Wait till you see some of the "black skies" and perhaps the best "black treat" is Cat-woman's glistening black suit. There were tons of scenes with all kinds of blacks and they all, with the rare exception of two fleeting shots, gave me pure EYE CANDY.
2) COLORS, though limited, were as BOLD and VIBRANT as ever, courtesy of HDR!!! They stood out all the more against all of those amazing blacks! I had mentioned Cat-woman's BLACK SUIT...well, with her BRIGHT RED LIPSTICK and her perfect FLESH TONES, we are served up more EYE CANDY.
3) DETAILS abounded!! Whether we're talking facial close-ups, or clothing, or city streets, or furniture in Wayne Manor, or in everything else, they were topnotch!
4) DEPTH was astounding at times!
5) CLARITY/SHARPNESS reigned supreme, even in the many dark scenes.
With all of these virtues this is a shoe-in for Tier 0, (even with a few "soft shots" with a wee bit less resolution). I was going to give it a Tier 0 (.5) but I think I'll be conservative....
Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)
PS For "desert" we were also served an EXCELLENT DOLBY ATMOS MIX!!!!
LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One
5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs