The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 871 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3652Likes

post #26101 of 26186 Old 12-07-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Here is an interesting article on "Full Frame Cameras" which also contains a comparison between the Arri Alexa LF and the Sony Venice. Sounds like the Arri Alexa is superior (even though it is 4.5K and the Sony is 6K).

https://www.productionhub.com/blog/p...t-our-industry

Here is another good write-up on Digital Cameras used for the BIG screen:

https://ascmag.com/articles/measurin...exhibition-use

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 12-07-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26102 of 26186 Old 12-07-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A Quiet Place (UHD)...Revisited

We have my sister here for the weekend and she wanted to see this movie (for the first time). I had seen it 5 months ago and gave it a 1.0 ranking. Well, guess what? After viewing this today I think I was too conservative. This deserves a Tier 0 placement so I'm changing my vote to...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (.75)

PS I really don't recall the BLACKS and SHADOW DETAILS being this awesome. Those, along with amazing DETAILS and DEPTH, made this an easy decision. I was wondering why it looked better this time around and the only thing I can come up with is...My OLED was relatively new at that time and as it was "breaking in" the PQ kept getting better and better. That must be the reason for the difference I'm seeing now.
Phantom Stranger and AmerCa like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26103 of 26186 Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^

AmerCa,

How are you doing? I know the last time I asked you said you had been under the weather but hoped to get back on the "Blu-ray track" soon. I miss your reviews but if there are things holding you back we would surely understand.

Denny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26104 of 26186 Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
^°^°^°^°^
As always, it's very nice of you to ask. Yes, man, everything is OK, it's just that between catching up on some personal things and my lack of movie watching I haven't had anything to contribute to this thread, but I do try to check it regularly.

Actually, I've just finished my first two movies in quite some time, (it felt SO GOOD!), so I should be back to reviewing in short time, that is, for the people who are interested in them, lol .

Sadly, this past Black Friday I couldn't land almost any good deal (apparently Amazon US wasn't interested this year in sharing their deals with us), and the ones I got won't be arriving until a month or two. Here's hoping they'll ship earlier. It's a good thing I got a good stash of unwatched movies, hahaha. I'll be reviewing some of those.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
djoberg and Phantom Stranger like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #26105 of 26186 Old 12-08-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Just look at my review of Star Trek Into Darkness from a few days ago. I was extolling the virtues of the IMAX scenes in that film! But I had no idea they were using the IMAX MSM 9802 camera. I've also seen the UHD version of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and there too I had no idea which IMAX camera they had used.

So, do you know anything about the IMAX Sony Venice camera...which will be used for the upcoming Top Gun: Maverick movie? The WHOLE FILM will be shot with that camera!!
The Sony camera is not the same. the Sony Venice is a 6K digital camera... I don't think its any different than the sea of other digital cameras out there.

I remember hearing Avengers: Infinity War & Avengers Endgame was going to be the two first films to ever be filmed entirely in IMAX format. Which was bull****, because they didn't mean an IMAX 15/70mm analog film camera like the IMAX MSM 9802, instead they meant the Arri IMAX camera which is basically a rebranded Arri 65 6.5K digital camera. Not saying its bad, just a bit false marketing. After all both those Avengers movies look phenomenal, and even more so - Transformers: Last Knight was filmed with Arri IMAX 65 camera as well as various Red Weapon/Dragon 8K cameras...
post #26106 of 26186 Old 12-08-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info Snell!

I knew that Transformers: The Last Knight was filmed with the Arri 65 and we know how well that turned out...as good or better than anything we've seen. So, there can be fantastic results "for the BIG screen" without using the MSM 9802, but you are surely right in implying the 9802 is one of the "Kings of IMAX," if not "THE KING."

post #26107 of 26186 Old 12-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Image is rather soft, but colors are strong.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #26108 of 26186 Old 12-13-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Tier 1.5 is now up to date as well.

The Miracle Worker (1979)

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

Easily the best film transfer I've ever seen from a VCI release. This television production from 1979 has actress Patty Duke playing a different role in the movie that first made her Hollywood career. The film elements are in spectacular condition. The film-like presentation has crisp definition and lively colors. There isn't much evidence of extraneous processing. A few stray halos are virtually negligible. The 2018 restoration is credited to Blair and Associates, which I've not heard of before this disc. It's a commendable job from pristine elements and results in a quality catalog release.

The 98-minute main feature is presented at its original 1.33:1 broadcast ratio. The disc is a BD-25. Encoded in finely-tuned AVC, there is real detail and excellent resolution throughout the film. The only quibble is an odd change in the normally bright and warm color timing for less than thirty seconds at the end of one scene. It happens near the end of the first act at around the 35-minute mark.
And now we come full circle...

The Miracle Worker (1962)

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

I had overlooked Olive Films releasing the original Oscar-winning classic on Blu-ray in 2017. Starring Anne Bancroft and a young Patty Duke, it remains the most captivating version of Helen Keller's life story. Shout Factory has recently reissued Arthur Penn's The Miracle Worker as part of their new Anne Bancroft Collection, using the same disc authored by Olive Films. Which is a sound decision as the black-and-white transfer struck for it was excellent. Proper grain structure, little if any extraneous processing, and a strong AVC encode make for a wonderful film-like treatment. The powerful movie is presented in its original 1.66:1 theatrical aspect ratio with lovely texture and pleasing black levels.

The movie was licensed from MGM. I rarely see an MGM property get such a magnificent new film transfer - this is relatively new film scan from quality elements. Crisp definition and impressive cinematography make for superb black-and-white eye candy. My highest recommendation for film lovers.
djoberg likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #26109 of 26186 Old 12-17-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ad Astra (1080p)

I decided to rent this from Redbox today and I'm glad I did. This is one of those "thinking man Sci-Fi movies" so don't expect a lot of action with aliens. The pacing was slow but I appreciated Brad Pitt's character (his acting was topnotch) and the human drama build-up. That's all I'll say for now in order to avoid "Spoilers."

PQ-wise, it was a mixed bag. It was filmed in 35mm film and thus it had the "filmic look" that was quite impressive.

The GOOD: The DETAILS were "stellar" in many shots and the BLACKS, overall, were "out of this world" (sorry, I couldn't help myself). CONTRAST was super-strong at times especially in deep space with white space ships against a starry, black background (man, how I love my OLED with scenes like these).

The NOT-SO-GOOD: There was a fair amount of COLOR-GRADING throughout...scenes with "blue hues" and scenes with "orange hues." The orange was especially egregious causing flesh tones to be very unnatural. The were also some SOFT SHOTS and a few MURKY BLACKS in various interior shots.

AQ-wise, I was VERY SATISFIED! It was only a DTS-HD Master Audio mix, but my Denon did a good job of up-mixing it to Neural:X and the height channels brought a smile to my face many times.

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

post #26110 of 26186 Old 12-19-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It: Chapter Two UHD

recommendation: Tier 0* (bottom third)

Horror movies didn't used to look this good with superb definition and a well-rounded HDR pass enhanced by Dolby Vision. The genre has changed in Hollywood with the advent of high-end digital cinematography. Filmed mostly in raw 3.4K resolution and finished at 2K on the digital intermediate, this new UHD features a crafted aesthetic by the filmmakers with brilliant tonality and dynamic color range only possible with UHD.

The 2.39:1 presentation has excellent focal depth and unwavering clarity. A lot of money has been sunk into the production by Hollywood ensuring a perfectly seamless cinematic experience with outstanding picture quality and smooth CGI effects. The UHD's PQ fares comparatively better than the first It on UHD, taking full advantage of the format's expanded color palette.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 12-19-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #26111 of 26186 Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^°^°^°^
Great review. Sounds like something I'd buy on UHD... next Black Friday. I liked the first part, but I'm not a super fan of it, and the potential upgrade in UHD seems worth it.

On another news, my US Amazon orders arrived much sooner than expected, which makes me very happy, but I'm not sure I'll be watching any movies until next year .

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #26112 of 26186 Old 12-20-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Incredible Hulk (1080p....2008)

So, I decided to choose an "oldie but goodie" from my Blu-ray library and this is what I picked (to me it's much better than the original Hulk from 2003 with Eric Bana playing the BIG GREEN GUY). The PQ still holds up well, though by today's standards it doesn't rival any of the Tier 0 titles. That said, it still deserves a place on my "demo shelf" (Tier 1). I may have assigned this to Tier 0 "back in the day," for it had some phenomenal details, especially in close-ups. You could see every whisker on Edward Norton's face, loads of texture on William Hurt's, and lots of details on the two BIG GREEN BOYS.

When it comes to the audio mix, the DTS-HD MA mix BLEW ME AWAY!! I'm not resorting to hyperbole when I say it does indeed rival many top audio mixes today. My Denon up-mixed it to Neural:X and the surrounds were simply amazing, with bullets and helicopters whizzing overhead (from front to back...side to side...diagonally...every which way) with stellar precision throughout several long scenes. But it's the bass/LFE and really put a smile on my face. Whether it was the Hulk stomping around or roaring, or during massive explosions (from all kinds of BIG GUNS), my walls were shaking BIG TIME. There was one scene where they had a "Stark Sonic Cannon" that sent "waves of sound" to the Hulk and I'm here to tell you it sent "waves of sound and energy" across my room...I thought my cheeks were going to start curling. I didn't dare to turn my AVR any higher than -7.5!!!

Tier Recommendation: 1.5
Phantom Stranger and AmerCa like this.

post #26113 of 26186 Old 12-20-2019, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^°^°^°^°^
Nice to see you reviewing some "oldies". For a moment there I thought you were reviewing the new UHD version. It's true, some old BDs still hold up very well, and it's nice to know they can still look good on an OLED.

The audio is true reference, and one of those tracks that get better the better your equipment gets. I need to give it a spin one of these days.

post #26114 of 26186 Old 12-22-2019, 01:42 PM

In a Lonely Place (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Stable image with excellent blacks and contrast.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

post #26115 of 26186 Old 12-22-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got done watching Amazon Prime's new original movie titled The Aeronauts and I was blown away by all the FULL SCREEN shots where the Air Balloon was "above the clouds" (they supposedly got as high as nearly 38,000 feet). The PQ (which was in 4K/HDR) was absolutely amazing! If you get Amazon Prime...check it out!! All the full screen shots were shot with an IMAX camera (which was supposedly 70mm).

I was very blessed to see this on a 77" screen at a seating distance of 8'. I would be willing to visit an IMAX Theater though to see this one on the REALLY BIG SCREEN!!!
DarthDoxie likes this.

post #26116 of 26186 Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, so I was wrong! I just found this online from a good source speaking of the filming of The Aeronauts:

Was the film shot on IMAX cameras?

We didn’t actually shoot in IMAX. We shot in dual aspect ratio, on 65mm cameras. There were various artistic reasons for doing that, but it came down to a creative decision as an instigator, rather than a business decision. We wanted it to feel like the story was opening up when you got into the sky. That will be consistent on the Amazon Prime release, because TVs are mostly built for the 16:9 aspect ratio nowadays. Everything we shot on the ground is in 2.39:1, and then when you go up into the air, it opens up to 1.85:1. So that actually transposes to Amazon Prime very nicely. And if you see it on IMAX, as you can in a few places in the US, the UK, and in China, it’ll be replicated there. And the 70mm print is a slightly different aspect ratio. So again, there’s a whole variety of different formats you can choose. (End of Quote)
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #26117 of 26186 Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone in AVSforum land!

Feast of the Seven Fishes

Right in time for Christmas comes this new holiday movie courtesy of Shout Factory. Set in 1983, the warm and funny period piece has fine video quality in pristine condition. Sharp, detailed and consistent, the 1.78:1 presentation doesn't attempt to roughen up the digital filmmaking for aesthetic purposes. That only occurs for a few shots of simulated 8mm footage as the filmmaker recalls old home movies of Christmas dinner.

I may be underselling the picture quality, it's easily Tier One in some scenes. The transfer is flawless with top-notch AVC parameters. The neutral palette and plain lighting limit demo potential. A great movie if you are looking for a funny Christmas romcom centered around a large Italian family celebrating the holiday.
AmerCa likes this.

post #26118 of 26186 Old 12-24-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A quick stop just to wish you a very warm Merry Christmas 2019!!

Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #26119 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Abominable (UHD)

I watched this with 2 of my grandchildren last night and found the movie to be "pretty good" and the PQ "very good" (but not excellent).

I had read rave reviews on the PQ being so sharp and colorful, so I was surprised in the first couple of scenes (that take place in a city in China) to see a lot of SOFT FOCUS shots that were anything but sharp. The colors didn't POP in those scenes either. But once they lead actors set out on their "journey" SHARPNESS, CLARITY and VIBRANT COLORS reigned supreme! DETAILS were also very good but there wasn't as much texture as I'm used to seeing in recent animated offerings. That's not to say there isn't any, but this one was really lacking in facial texture and other areas too. The bottom line is: this is most definitely worth of the Top Tier but it won't come close to the very top.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.33)

PS I "almost" went with .25!

post #26120 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Captain America: The First Avenger (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Good overall PQ. Black levels are not quite inky black, raised just a bit.

Between Black Friday and Christmas, I picked up 20 of the MCU films (I had the other 3) and all but 3 of them in UHD. I'll be watching them in timeline order, looking forward to the experience as I've only seen about half.

post #26121 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I just got done watching Amazon Prime's new original movie titled The Aeronauts and I was blown away by all the FULL SCREEN shots where the Air Balloon was "above the clouds" (they supposedly got as high as nearly 38,000 feet). The PQ (which was in 4K/HDR) was absolutely amazing! If you get Amazon Prime...check it out!! All the full screen shots were shot with an IMAX camera (which was supposedly 70mm).

I was very blessed to see this on a 77" screen at a seating distance of 8'. I would be willing to visit an IMAX Theater though to see this one on the REALLY BIG SCREEN!!!

Didn't realize this was an Amazon Prime movie, it's on my watch-list now, thanks!

post #26122 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ad Astra

Gonna be a little harsher than Djoberg on this... For the the vast majority of the film my thought was "Is this really 4K? Certainly this must be 2K..."

In most cases this movie didn't seem sharper than 1080p by any stretch of the imagination. The interior shots looked quite bad actually... Noisy/grainy/soft and as mentioned the colour-grading.

Now I wanted to give it a really low score but it gets completely saved by PHEMONENAL BLACKS - and lots of them. The space scenes look reference. as much as I hated the PQ indoors I couldn't help myself being mesmerised every time they ventured out in the starlit exterior of outer space with the absolute blacks that followed.

Tier recommendation: 1.75
nickinhb and AmerCa like this.
post #26123 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Did you watch it via Prime or a physical medium? Because 4K/HDR material of IMAX is the most mind blowing visuals you can get (today)
post #26124 of 26186 Old 12-27-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Didn't realize this was an Amazon Prime movie, it's on my watch-list now, thanks!
Again, the FULL SCREEN shots are magnificent. I can't say the same of the letter-boxed scenes; they aren't bad by any means, but they're not even close to the scenes "above the clouds." Check in to give your impressions after seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Did you watch it via Prime or a physical medium? Because 4K/HDR material of IMAX is the most mind blowing visuals you can get (today)
I watched it via Prime. Fact is, I'm not sure this is even out on a physical medium yet. But it doesn't matter; I was absolutely amazed/impressed by what I saw on Prime.

Edit: I did check and you can only view this via Amazon Prime.

Last edited by djoberg; 12-27-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #26125 of 26186 Old 12-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Toy Story (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 0*

The movie holds up very well in 4K. It's current Blu-ray placement in tier 0 is fine for this as well.

The only gripe I have is the backgrounds look rather flat compared to today's animated features. Everything is drawn with nice straight lines and hardly any dirt or grime is visible, almost like they were an afterthought.

post #26126 of 26186 Old 12-28-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^

Hey Darth, wait till you see Toy Story 4 in 4K! Amazing, amazing, amazing!!

post #26127 of 26186 Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just watched the UHD version of Sully with my youngest daughter's husband and "once again" I'm changing my mind as to the placement (it's NOT just women/girls that have the right to change their mind!). I do believe this warrants a Tier 0 placement (I had said in my review below that the UHD release should be at 1.0). And once again I'm going to attribute the spike in PQ to my OLED! Nuf said!!

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (.75)

Quote:
Sully

This may not qualify for the Top Tier, but it should easily land towards the top of Tier Gold. It had striking clarity throughout the majority of its 90+ minute running time, along with reference quality facial details and amazing depth in many scenes. Contrast was strong, black levels (though limited) were deep, and flesh tones were spot-on accurate. On the minus side, its color palette was woefully lacking in primaries, and there was a fair amount of color-grading (i.e. steely blue) that added to the drab look.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1.25*

PS The 4K version brought it up one notch (to 1.0) with even better facial texture and contrast was off the charts.
SnellTHX likes this.

post #26128 of 26186 Old 12-30-2019, 01:48 PM

Krampus

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Nice holiday film, think I'll add it to my yearly rotation. Good overall PQ with good black levels in the many dark scenes.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #26129 of 26186 Old 12-30-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Krampus

During the first act of this subversive Christmas movie, I was having to make up excuses for why Krampus shouldn't belong to Tier Zero. Its warm, rich, inviting picture quality sparkled in brilliant Christmas clarity. Some minor scrubbing applied to close-ups of Toni Collette was its only negative. Swimming in vibrant red and green colors, this was picture-perfect filmmaking.

As you can see by my final score, Krampus changes greatly in setting and tone after a glorious looking first act. Universal does an adequate technical job with the transfer and encode, though some minor compression artifacts appear as Krampus makes his presence felt in the movie. The video swiftly changes from vivid color saturation to a darker aesthetic fairly quickly. That results in reduced definition and softened detail.

There isn't anything wrong per se with Krampus' picture quality. Events within the movie force a drastic change in tonality and visual quality. There is even a brief animated scene of average quality included.
When I saw Darth's recommendation, I thought I had reviewed Krampus. This is from nearly four years ago. So it looks like we are on the same page.
AmerCa likes this.

post #26130 of 26186 Old 12-30-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^°^°^°^
Well, I intended to review that movie a few months ago, but never did. I was waiting to rewatch it to give it a score, but I was thinking between 1.75 - 1.5, so that's not too far off. Great movie, I've watched it a couple of times, very fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page