The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 874 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3859Likes

post #26191 of 26427 Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Gemini Man (UHD....60fps)

So, what do I think? Let me sum it up in THREE WORDS:

PURE EYE CANDY!!!

Is this as good as Transformers: The Last Knight which currently holds the "King of the Hill" title? I believe it is...and perhaps it's better! That's a hard call though for I'm still trying to process what I just saw. This definitely has equal or better DETAILS, DEPTH, CONTRAST, FLESH TONES, BLACK LEVELS, and CLARITY. But it's the COLORS that takes this one up a notch (courtesy of Dolby Vision); they simply "blew me away."

How did I like the HFR? I was surprised that for the majority of the film it didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. Having said that, I still prefer, as of now, 24fps, but that may very well be due to "conditioning" since 24fps is all I've ever known. What I can say is I will watch this again and I will be using this for my new "Demo Disc!"

I should also mention that I slipped in the 1080p version immediately afterwards and watched quite a few scenes. Believe me when I say, "There is not real comparison as far the PQ goes...the UHD blows the 1080p 'out of the water.'" The 1080p version may very well end up in Tier 0 (for it deserves to), but it won't be at or even near the very top.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (#1 or, at the very least, tied with #1)

PS Two things...the Dolby Atmos mix was awesome AND the movie wasn't as bad as many have said...it's not going to win any awards, but I thought the acting was fairly good and the chemistry between Will Smith and Mary Elizabeth Winstead was effective...and the action scenes were okay.

Jesus Christ, Denny.

Now I am a believer.

Well, I have been from the start, based on Ang Lee's track record of making top 3 reference movies.

+ what I've heard from other people, 120fps set aside.

If you say this eye candy is as good, or even better than the PQ-GOD that is Transformers: Last Knight

Wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26192 of 26427 Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
^^^^^^^^^

The only area where this isn't as good as T:TLK is in the area of SHARPNESS. Don't get me wrong, for the vast majority of the film it is "sharp as a tack," but there are shots with some SOFTNESS, which I believe is typical because of the HFR. I have seen this same thing on "Soap Operas."

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26193 of 26427 Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 5782
As good as Gemini Man looks, it still LOOKS like a bunch of actors running around playing actors, recorded with a good cell phone lol
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26194 of 26427 Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
As good as Gemini Man looks, it still LOOKS like a bunch of actors running around playing actors, recorded with a good cell phone lol
Yep, that is the effect you get with HFR. But I will say this, we often talk about good PQ being like "looking out your window" and that's exactly what I kept thinking last night during the movie. It truly had that "hyper-realism" look...which we're not used to in a typical film with 24fps. Again, we are so used to the look of 24fps that 60fps looks fake, when in reality it is actually more realistic (like a recording on a good cell phone, to use your own words).
toonj64 and subacabra like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26195 of 26427 Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Some spacecraft alien technology kind of smartphone yeah
post #26196 of 26427 Old 01-24-2020, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I actually haven't seen Transformers T:TLK yet, keen to check this out on the projector - 4K or 3D?
post #26197 of 26427 Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
I actually haven't seen Transformers T:TLK yet, keen to check this out on the projector - 4K or 3D?
So, I'm assuming your projector does 4K and 3D, is that right? If so, that's your call, if you really like 3D I'd check reviews on the 3D release. Of course, that is only in 1080p so the PQ won't be nearly as good as the 4K/UHD with HDR.

post #26198 of 26427 Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correction regarding "Transformers: The Last Knight"

I have a correction to make. I have repeatedly said that Transformers: The Last Knight is at the #1 spot in Tier 0. This is WRONG, for Planet Earth 2 is still the "King of the Hill" in Tier Blu. I was reminded of this a few minutes ago when I visited the "Rankings Thread." I believe my reason for these wrong statements is because there have been a number of reviews since the last update by Phantom where members have indeed voted it (T:TLK) for the #1 spot. If I'm not mistaken, I may have actually recommended it for the #2 spot...thinking that Planet Earth 2 still deserves to be at the top.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #26199 of 26427 Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2057
Ghostsbusters: Answer The Call (2016 - Sony) (Theatrical)

Tier Recommendation: 1.5

Given the generally poor reviews of this movie, maybe it's not that surprising there's no ranking of this movie in this thread. The overall PQ is quite satisfying, with quite a few notable sequences, particularly in the last quarter of the film. The different ghosts that show give opportunity to many eye-popping moments with really nice colors and great contrast, especially with the pop-out effects used with the black bars, but the "regular" scenes are inconsistent, and are not as sharp or detailed as you'd expect. As a whole, it's a "standard" blockbuster on terms of PQ. Generally strong, but nothing particularly special.

In a similar fashion as Djoberg, I had to eat crow with this movie. As a lot of people, i basically looked down on it before even seeing it. I just bought it because I found it for -really- cheap, so no real loss if I didn't like the movie. Alas, I had a great time watching it. It has very little to do with the original, and it never tries to be like it. It was just a fun popcorn movie to spend two hours with, and I was entertained. It helped that it has a very fun audio track that contributes a lot to the entertainment factor. It's not a fantastic film, but it's far from the garbage many reviews would led you to think.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #26200 of 26427 Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ordered a Sony KD-65AG9 to be delivered on friday, along with a new 4K player. Finally making the BIG upgrade.

Excited as a little boy on chirstmas eve

Can not wait to explore all the UHD goodness. Now to decide what will be my first watch..

BTW the link on the first page of this thread to the rankings doesn't work anymore.
post #26201 of 26427 Old 01-28-2020, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnfout View Post
Ordered a Sony KD-65AG9 to be delivered on friday, along with a new 4K player. Finally making the BIG upgrade.

Excited as a little boy on chirstmas eve

Can not wait to explore all the UHD goodness. Now to decide what will be my first watch..

BTW the link on the first page of this thread to the rankings doesn't work anymore.
Dunkirk or Transformers: LK is my suggestion. Or perhaps save them for last, as nothing (except maybe Gemini man) Will look as good
post #26202 of 26427 Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a correction to make. I have repeatedly said that Transformers: The Last Knight is at the #1 spot in Tier 0. This is WRONG, for Planet Earth 2 is still the "King of the Hill" in Tier Blu. I was reminded of this a few minutes ago when I visited the "Rankings Thread." I believe my reason for these wrong statements is because there have been a number of reviews since the last update by Phantom where members have indeed voted it (T:TLK) for the #1 spot. If I'm not mistaken, I may have actually recommended it for the #2 spot...thinking that Planet Earth 2 still deserves to be at the top.
I actually haven't seen Planet Earth II yet... But its consistently ranked a top 3 or top 5 disc.
post #26203 of 26427 Old 01-28-2020, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Dunkirk or Transformers: LK is my suggestion. Or perhaps save them for last, as nothing (except maybe Gemini man) Will look as good
I picked up the 4K bluray combo of Dunkirk last June, in preparation of this upgrade, seems like that was a nice choice.

Also just picked up Bad Boys 1+2 on 4K, for some nice weekend entertainment. And Joker will arrive next Wednesday.
Good times
post #26204 of 26427 Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
I actually haven't seen Planet Earth II yet... But its consistently ranked a top 3 or top 5 disc.
You HAVE to see this collection at some point Snell; it is definitely worthy of being in the "Top 3" of live action Blu-rays. Some may be thinking, "Okay this has spectacular PQ in landscapes and animals, but what about humans?" One of the discs is about animals that live in the city and there are plenty of shots of humans in it...the facial details/texture is topnotch, as are the flesh tones.
mrtickleuk and SteveC356 like this.

post #26205 of 26427 Old 01-29-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnfout View Post
I picked up the 4K bluray combo of Dunkirk last June, in preparation of this upgrade, seems like that was a nice choice.

Also just picked up Bad Boys 1+2 on 4K, for some nice weekend entertainment. And Joker will arrive next Wednesday.
Good times
Enjoy my friend
post #26206 of 26427 Old 01-30-2020, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You HAVE to see this collection at some point Snell; it is definitely worthy of being in the "Top 3" of live action Blu-rays. Some may be thinking, "Okay this has spectacular PQ in landscapes and animals, but what about humans?" One of the discs is about animals that live in the city and there are plenty of shots of humans in it...the facial details/texture is topnotch, as are the flesh tones.
I know. I really do
post #26207 of 26427 Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Motherless Brooklyn

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

A visually striking period noir from Edward Norton set in the 1950s. Having done nothing at the box office, Norton's second directorial feature was unfortunately passed up for UHD. No matter, this WB Blu-ray has stunning video quality and rich production values. There's no doubt I would have placed this BD in Tier 0 just a few years ago before 4K became a reality.

Refined digital cinematography and razor-sharp definition produce a flawless presentation dripping with clarity. Mastered at 2K resolution, it still would have been nice to see Motherless Brooklyn receive a HDR pass for UHD. Perfectly mastered for Blu-ray, this is high-quality demo material.
AmerCa likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #26208 of 26427 Old 02-01-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Gallows (2015 - Warner) Tier Recommendation: 2.5

This movie is found-footage film and as such, the PQ jumps all around the place. It was very hard to properly place it, but tier 2.5 gives you a good idea of what to expect. The irregular quality fits well the concept of the movie, but there's really not much to talk about. It's fine for what it is.

The selling point of this little horror movie is definitely the ATMOS mix, which -released in 2015- must have been among the very first. I can't comment specifically on the ATMOS, but the core 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track is very effective and well done. Unfortunately, not even the audio can save the movie from being merely acceptable. I didn't hate it as much as most reviewers, but I can only recommend it as a rental or a bargain bin buy.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #26209 of 26427 Old 02-01-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rings (2017 - Paramount)

Tier Recommendation: 1.75

Djoberg ranked this at tier 1.5 and I'm going to rank it a bit lower. I had caught this movie on TV before, and I didn't like it. I bought it because I found it for cheap, and I thought a proper A/V experience could change my perspective. I hated it even more, goddamit.

The visuals and color grading reminded me of A Cure For Wellness, directed by Goren Verbinski. Which kinda make sense, as Verbinski was the director of the first Ring. But the PQ of the former has nothing to do with this one. Audio was disappointing, movie was a chore to sit through, damn. The Gallows was a questionable film in many respects, but at least it works on a basic level. I got scared a few times. There was some tension. I don't know what Rings attempted to do.

post #26210 of 26427 Old 02-03-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blluuurgh Gemini Man won't arrive until the end of the month... Could have just ordered here since release is 24th of Feb here

Not been this hyped for a 4K disc in years

Even without seeing it I advise everyone to check it out
post #26211 of 26427 Old 02-03-2020, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
The Gallows (2015 - Warner) Tier Recommendation: 2.5

This movie is found-footage film and as such, the PQ jumps all around the place. It was very hard to properly place it, but tier 2.5 gives you a good idea of what to expect. The irregular quality fits well the concept of the movie, but there's really not much to talk about. It's fine for what it is.

The selling point of this little horror movie is definitely the ATMOS mix, which -released in 2015- must have been among the very first. I can't comment specifically on the ATMOS, but the core 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track is very effective and well done. Unfortunately, not even the audio can save the movie from being merely acceptable. I didn't hate it as much as most reviewers, but I can only recommend it as a rental or a bargain bin buy.

I don't remember scoring the disc for the PQ Tiers but I ended up reviewing the sequel earlier this year. They dropped the found-footage aspect in the sequel and turned it into a more conventional story. The sequel wasn't very good.

post #26212 of 26427 Old 02-03-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I don't remember scoring the disc for the PQ Tiers but I ended up reviewing the sequel earlier this year. They dropped the found-footage aspect in the sequel and turned it into a more conventional story. The sequel wasn't very good.
I didn't know there was a sequel. I'd be willing to check it out if I could find it as cheap as the first. It sucks to read there's wasn't much improvement.

post #26213 of 26427 Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Our thread has been a bit "slow" lately. I've have been extremely busy and tomorrow we leave on a cross-country ski trip for 5 days. But guess what? I just ordered the UHD copy of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and it should be in my mail next Friday. I hope to watch it right away. Reviews on the PQ have been very good!!

In the reviews I've read they were especially impressed with the COLORS (courtesy of HDR). I rented the 1080 Blu-ray on the first installment and found the colors to be excellent on that as well. I gave that a Tier 0 (.75) rating back in 2014. Here is my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post28795218

Last edited by djoberg; 02-07-2020 at 02:10 PM.
post #26214 of 26427 Old 02-07-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Our thread has been a bit "slow" lately. I've have been extremely busy and tomorrow we leave on a cross-country ski trip for 5 days. But guess what? I just ordered the UHD copy of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and it should be in my mail next Friday. I hope to watch it right away. Reviews on the PQ have been very good!!

In the reviews I've read they were especially impressed with the COLORS (courtesy of HDR). I rented the 1080 Blu-ray on the first installment and found the colors to be excellent on that as well.
I'll try to make it up this weekend. I've been neglecting things here of late and plan to post more reviews.
djoberg likes this.

post #26215 of 26427 Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Nightingale

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

The harrowing period piece, filmed in Australia, is presented at 1.37:1 with fine picture quality and outstanding production values. Some banding from Shout Factory's AVC encode, but otherwise passable on a technical level. The moody, dim opening act gets more color once the narrative shifts to the bush in Australia. Adequate definition and inconsistent clarity drop this into tier 2.0.

The House That Jack Built

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Lars Von Trier's alienating film has serviceable but limited picture quality by today's better standards. On the soft side with somewhat questionable shadow delineation, the gritty cinematography looks rough at times. A better AVC encode this time by Shout Factory, which gives each cut of the film its own BD-50. I imagine this is a perfect reproduction of the source material, reflecting Lars Von Trier's intentions.

Rabid (2019)

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

A reimagined update on the David Cronenberg horror movie, Rabid has pristine-looking HD video. Lacks some of the better depth and dimensionality of the best Tier One discs, but certainly matches those discs in clarity and detail.

Nighthawks (2019)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

An indie thriller with satisfactory, if pedestrian, video quality. Decent definition and clarity, but also missing the kind of pop and sizzle of better BD picture quality. Not connected in any way to the older Stallone flick.

Sliding Doors

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Now over twenty years old as a movie, Shout Factory's presentation is largely pleasing without being an overwhelming improvement. The Gwyneth Paltrow romantic vehicle has solid grain reproduction from a 2K film transfer struck in Europe. The color grading could have actually been tweaked some more, colors are a tad flat and dull.
Robbie Racer, SuperFist and AmerCa like this.

post #26216 of 26427 Old 02-09-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

Way to go Phantom!! Five reviews in one post....definitely a record for a regular contributor!!!

post #26217 of 26427 Old 02-12-2020, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (UHD)

I arrived home earlier than expected and so did my copy of this delightful CGI marvel! I was very pleased with the PQ and the AQ was very good as well (a pleasant surprise for a Disney release).

I won't go into a lot of detail but the main highlights are:

1) DETAILS...on my, what a visual feast, from facial close-ups to costumes and everything in between!

2) COLORS...they literally POP off the screen at times, especially in bright, daytime scenes of the kingdom!

3) BLACK LEVELS/SHADOW DETAILS...gorgeous in the vast majority of scenes!

4) CLARITY...at times it was so SHARP you felt you could reach into the screen and touch what you were looking at.

I gave the 1080p release of the first installment a ranking of Tier 0 (.75). This easily falls somewhere in the top one-third of that tier. I'll be conservative and opt for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (.33)
Robbie Racer likes this.

post #26218 of 26427 Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Been awhile since I posted any rankings...so hold on tight, here we go.

Toy Story 2 (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.25)

Kansas City Confidential (The Film Detective release)
recommendation: Tier 4.0 (current ranking)

Captain Marvel (UHD)

Iron Man (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Niagara
recommendation: Tier 1.0 (current ranking)

Trouble With Harry, The
recommendation: Tier 1.0 (current ranking)

Moon (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 1.5*

Iron Man 2 (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Assault on Precinct 13 (Shout Factory)
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Andromeda Strain, The (Arrow)
recommendation: Tier 3.25*

Thor (UHD)

Torn Curtain
recommendation: Tier 2.75
(current ranking)

Ringu (Arrow)
recommendation: Tier 3.75*

Earth: One Amazing Day (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (Top 10)

Unbreakable
recommendation: Tier 3.0 (current ranking)

Mary Poppins
recommendation: Tier 2.5 (current ranking)

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

Last edited by DarthDoxie; 02-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #26219 of 26427 Old 02-13-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

Whoa! SIXTEEN titles!! I guess Phantom's record just flew out the window!!!

post #26220 of 26427 Old 02-13-2020, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^

Whoa! SIXTEEN titles!! I guess Phantom's record just flew out the window!!!

No write-ups though, I'm slacking in that department

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page