The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 876 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3859Likes

post #26251 of 26427 Old 02-29-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Lighthouse, The
recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Excellent cinematography on this one. The ‘making of’ special feature is informative in explaining the film stock, filters, lenses, lighting, and what-nots of the process. Contrast is really deep and black levels/shadow details are nice. Clarity is pin-sharp with facial features, fabrics, and environmental textures on great display. A nice layer of fine grain is also present.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26252 of 26427 Old 03-01-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Same spot as you:

FROZEN II (4K)

Tier 0 ( in the top five animated)
Watched it last night in blu-ray Vudu. Think the line between Pixar and Disney, in terms of technology, is merging. Obviously this one has great PQ that is mesmerizing (audio is better too), but the story is targeted to family like the 1st one, nothing original here. There is no catchy tune like Let It Go.

Girls loved the movie but boys preferred Ne Zha, an equally impressive CGI from China with a compelling story. It's one of the few Chinese movies/cartoons that is worthy for export. It's kind of reminded me of KF Panda. Surprise that it got through their censor on story line and correctness.
post #26253 of 26427 Old 03-02-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 580
These Frozen II reviews... Now I have to place YET another Pixar movie on my watch list... :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26254 of 26427 Old 03-02-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2001: A Space Odyssey

Surprisingly good picture quality for a movie that is now 52 years old. Mind-boggling how something filmed in 1968 (in 70mm no less) is any many ways still comparable to stuff from last year. Having recently watched another classic, Apocalypse Now I can say this movie does not look as good as A.N. at it's best (that did look reference at times) but nor does it look as bad as A.N. at its worst (it looked like VHS at times) there is light grain, but it is filmic, organic, analog, charming all those adjectives. relatively sharp and pretty detailed too. No doubt the best version of this movie.

Tier recommendation: 1.5
IronWaffle and DarthDoxie like this.
post #26255 of 26427 Old 03-02-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Midway

Well, here's a brand new movie that doesn't really look much better than the 41 year old Apocalypse Now or the 52 year old 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There's a THICK layer of grain and everyone has mentioned, but honestly as your local grain-hater I didn't think it was too bad. there were still good details here and there, the bigger problem was the soft CGI. I had two friends over, neither of them are videophiles nor do they care much about PQ. I helped them picking up good deals on a 65XE90 and 65XF90 which they both enjoy and I 'spoiled' them by showing Transformers 5: Last Knight before we put on Midway. They described it as going from 8K to 1K (720p), one of them even said it looked like a YouTube video.

I think it's the combination of seeing Transformers LK right before and the heavy grain that really made non-videophiles completely disregard it's PQ but I actually didn't find it to be as bad as others have made it out to be.

Side note: The AQ was phenomenal IMO

Tier recommendation: 1.25
post #26256 of 26427 Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
2001: A Space Odyssey

Surprisingly good picture quality for a movie that is now 52 years old. Mind-boggling how something filmed in 1968 (in 70mm no less) is any many ways still comparable to stuff from last year. Having recently watched another classic, Apocalypse Now I can say this movie does not look as good as A.N. at it's best (that did look reference at times) but nor does it look as bad as A.N. at its worst (it looked like VHS at times) there is light grain, but it is filmic, organic, analog, charming all those adjectives. relatively sharp and pretty detailed too. No doubt the best version of this movie.

Tier recommendation: 1.5
I assume you are talking about the UHD?

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #26257 of 26427 Old 03-04-2020, 10:03 AM

Zombieland (UHD)

Le Samourai (Criterion)
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

post #26258 of 26427 Old 03-04-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Knives Out (1080p)

I rented this from Redbox this afternoon and it was a TREAT!! I haven't seen a good "Who Dun It?" for a very long time and this one was topnotch. The cast/acting was perfect and it had plenty of "twists and turns" to keep me guessing throughout. Here is a very brief review of the PQ I put on Ralph's site:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...l#post59330984

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

PS I almost ranked it at .66 but my "Generous Gene" kicked in as I was hitting the "parenthesis keys"
fredxr2d2 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26259 of 26427 Old 03-04-2020, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^

Next up for tonight: FORD v FERRARI!

I took my wife to the airport today and she will be in Phoenix visiting our daughter and her family till Monday. So, what does that mean for me? Those who know me well knows it means my "Blu-ray Fast" ends and my "Blu-ray Feast" begins!!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26260 of 26427 Old 03-04-2020, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FORD v FERRARI (1080p)

I've never really been into racing but this was an excellent movie, with superb acting (especially by Damon and Bale) and a fantastic true story.

Guess what? The PQ was just as good as the movie! The only "gripe" (which is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things) was the color-grading in some scenes (a heavy "orange hue" that wreaked havoc on flesh tones). This one hit all the "positive virtues" we could ask for in good PQ, with amazing details and texture in facial close-ups, 3D-like depth in some shots, impressive black levels and shadow details, vibrant colors, and razor-sharp clarity.

AQ-wise...oh my word, this was breathtaking in nearly every scene! All 9 channels were roaring during race scenes and my dual subs really came alive with the roaring of engines and, of course, in crashes/explosions. Even the height channels saw some action (wait till you see/hear the shot with Matt Damon flying a plane over a heavily crowded racetrack ).

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

PS I can't say that I've ever watched two Tier 0 (.5) titles "back to back," but now I can!

Last edited by djoberg; 03-05-2020 at 08:47 AM.
post #26261 of 26427 Old 03-05-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Terminator: Dark Fate (1080p)

PQ-wise, this was a "mixed bag" or maybe I should call it a "day and night mixed bag," meaning the scenes that took place outdoors during the DAY were very good, while the NIGHT scenes were less-than-stellar. The former scenes had striking DETAILS, vibrant COLORS, spot-on FLESH TONES, super CONTRAST, and striking CLARITY (in most shots). The latter scenes had BLACKS leaning towards DARK GRAY, some definite SOFTNESS resulting in a lack of DETAILS and DEPTH, and a few instances of NOISE.

The real "redeeming feature" of this title was the BOMBASTIC Dolby Atmos mix. WOW...I mean WOW!! What more can I say?!

The movie left much-to-be-desired, but I've never been a fan of the Terminator Franchise so fans may have a different take on it.

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

post #26262 of 26427 Old 03-06-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Black and Blue (1080p)

Whoa! How come I had never heard of this before? This was a "hidden gem" as far as I'm concerned; one of the best cop shows I've seen in years. Naomie Harris did a fantastic job as the female lead and Tyrese Gibson wasn't too far behind as the male lead. It had plenty of "realistic action" and "heartfelt drama" as well.

PQ-wise, it was VERY GOOD, in spite of a few "gritty scenes" (at night and one daytime scene with rain/fog). This had amazing BLACK LEVELS/SHADOW DETAILS in most scenes (one aerial shot of New Orleans at night was absolutely mesmerizing), appreciable DEPTH, excellent DETAILS and TEXTURE (in faces, clothing, etc.), accurate FLESH TONES, pleasing COLORS when primaries were on display (most of the film had a muted color palette) and striking CLARITY. Again, there were some gritty shots with SOFTNESS, but overall this was true EYE CANDY.

AQ-wise, it ROCKED!!

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS I could see some opting for a low Tier 0 and they wouldn't get much of an argument from me.

post #26263 of 26427 Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IT: Chapter Two (1080p)

I pretty much agree with Phantom's analysis below and his placement recommendation. Since he never remarked on the BLACK LEVELS I must add that they were PHENOMENAL! There were many scenes to highlight them (a plethora of night-time skies...with my favorite being the carnival scenes...and some dark interior scenes as well). SHADOW DETAILS were exquisite! I was also very impressed with the BRIGHTNESS LEVELS during outdoor daytime scenes around town. In other words, CONTRAST reigned supreme!!

I must confess, due to the extreme amount of "F-bombs" I found myself hitting the "Mute Button" quite often (even though they primarily came out of two of the character's mouths, they eventually came forth from everyone ).

Since Phantom viewed the UHD copy my placement may be a tad lower than his.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It: Chapter Two UHD

recommendation: Tier 0* (bottom third)

Horror movies didn't used to look this good with superb definition and a well-rounded HDR pass enhanced by Dolby Vision. The genre has changed in Hollywood with the advent of high-end digital cinematography. Filmed mostly in raw 3.4K resolution and finished at 2K on the digital intermediate, this new UHD features a crafted aesthetic by the filmmakers with brilliant tonality and dynamic color range only possible with UHD.

The 2.39:1 presentation has excellent focal depth and unwavering clarity. A lot of money has been sunk into the production by Hollywood ensuring a perfectly seamless cinematic experience with outstanding picture quality and smooth CGI effects. The UHD's PQ fares comparatively better than the first It on UHD, taking full advantage of the format's expanded color palette.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #26264 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Terminator: Dark Fate (1080p)

PQ-wise, this was a "mixed bag" or maybe I should call it a "day and night mixed bag," meaning the scenes that took place outdoors during the DAY were very good, while the NIGHT scenes were less-than-stellar. The former scenes had striking DETAILS, vibrant COLORS, spot-on FLESH TONES, super CONTRAST, and striking CLARITY (in most shots). The latter scenes had BLACKS leaning towards DARK GRAY, some definite SOFTNESS resulting in a lack of DETAILS and DEPTH, and a few instances of NOISE.

The real "redeeming feature" of this title was the BOMBASTIC Dolby Atmos mix. WOW...I mean WOW!! What more can I say?!

The movie left much-to-be-desired, but I've never been a fan of the Terminator Franchise so fans may have a different take on it.

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

1.75 seems a bit harsh! But I at least agree it doesn't deserve all the praise it has received for its picture from other outlets. I thought it looked phenomenal in the cinema but the 4K/HDR disc at home did look a bit soft and evident of a 2K DI. Which is disappointing, because usually when movies really pop out as outstanding picture in the cinema I feel the translation to home media impresses as much, but this was not the case.
post #26265 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Snell,

The thing is when I was watching daytime scenes I kept thinking, "This is worthy of a high Tier 1 ranking," but then some of the nighttime scenes would introduce "noise" along with some "softness" and the blacks leaned towards "dark gray." Have you seen the 1080p version? I ask this because it's possibly the UHD version really bumps this up a notch or two.

post #26266 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more thing....

If not for the "weak blacks" in some scenes, I may have rated this as high as 1.0. You may be thinking, "That's quite harsh based solely on black levels." That fair, but with me black levels are the most important criterion, especially in a movie with a lot of nighttime scenes or low-lit interior shots. If you have weak blacks it affects other things, most notably details and depth.

I know there are "expert reviews" that could be cited where they praise the black levels, but I must call them the way I SEE THEM. In my defense, Matt at DoBlu.com also criticized the blacks.

post #26267 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
+1. It's an eye candy to show off your gears. The story was predictable. Like most Disney films, they really know how to spend money and making the most of it. It's great family entertainment.
Yeah per your (and Djoberg's 0.33 review) recommendation I had to get this as well
post #26268 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Snell,

The thing is when I was watching daytime scenes I kept thinking, "This is worthy of a high Tier 1 ranking," but then some of the nighttime scenes would introduce "noise" along with some "softness" and the blacks leaned towards "dark gray." Have you seen the 1080p version? I ask this because it's possibly the UHD version really bumps this up a notch or two.
I do not recall any elevated blacks. My gripe was the softness and the lack of detail / sharpness / clarity / resolution compared to the best Tier 0 movies.
post #26269 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah per your (and Djoberg's 0.33 review) recommendation I had to get this as well
Just so people know, this post is dealing with Disney's movie Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.

post #26270 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not recall any elevated blacks. My gripe was the softness and the lack of detail / sharpness / clarity / resolution compared to the best Tier 0 movies.
Yes, there were scenes with those "negatives" in certain scenes (along with blacks that were actually "dark gray" at times). Again, many reviewers were praising this release (Terminator: Dark Fate) as a worthy "demo disc" and I really disagree with that conclusion.

post #26271 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Absolutely stunning. The best looking movie I have seen in a long time! Vibrant, punchy image displaying great use of HDR, the colours have more pop to them than pretty much anything else out there. The lush greens of the landscape, the red uniforms of the soldiers, blue skies, the multitude of colour variation in the fairies, flowers, etc all look so gorgeous .Chromatic eye-candy aside the picture is razor-sharp and maintains crystal clear clarity even if I sat 2 feet from my 55"

For sake of comparison it looks better than other reference discs like Avengers: Infinity War or Black Panther, but not quite as good as Mortal Engines...

But it is certainly in the ballpark of the latter. Reference

Tier recommendation: 0.25
djoberg and Phantom Stranger like this.
post #26272 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

I'm assuming that was the UHD copy that you watched, right Snell? If so, you went up a notch from my .33 rating. I guess you're getting to be the new "Generous Rater" on this thread!

Here's my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post59238082

So, when is your copy of Gemini Man arriving? I thought you were getting it the end of February. If you already have it, I will be shocked that you haven't seen it yet.

post #26273 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^

I'm assuming that was the UHD copy that you watched, right Snell? If so, you went up a notch from my .33 rating. I guess you're getting to be the new "Generous Rater" on this thread!

Here's my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post59238082

So, when is your copy of Gemini Man arriving? I thought you were getting it the end of February. If you already have it, I will be shocked that you haven't seen it yet.

Yeah it was the 4K version, which was truly superb.

As for Gemini Man - I ordered my copy from the US in the beginning of February because it did not release in Norway until the end of February. We're well into March and my copy STILL has not arrived...

The wait is killing me - especially when I could have bought it locally almost 2 weeks ago
post #26274 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah it was the 4K version, which was truly superb.

As for Gemini Man - I ordered my copy from the US in the beginning of February because it did not release in Norway until the end of February. We're well into March and my copy STILL has not arrived...

The wait is killing me - especially when I could have bought it locally almost 2 weeks ago
Your "patience" will be rewarded, believe me!

I have my sister with me for the weekend while my wife is in Arizona and we just watched two movies back to back (Annabelle: Creation and Passengers). She is a real A/V enthusiast (a rare thing for one of that gender ) and she thought Passengers looked really good. I turned to her and said, "Your eyes may be a bit strained right now, but can I show you a few scenes from a UHD disc that may blow you away?" She said, "By all means." I put in Gemini Man and turned to about a half dozen of my favorite scenes and she couldn't believe her eyes. It was by far the best PQ she'd ever seen.
SnellTHX likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 03-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.
post #26275 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of amazing PQ, I have been watching the new Amazon Prime Series "Hunters" via my Roku Premiere Plus. It is in 4K/HDR and some of the scenes are absolutely spectacular. Dare I say they're as good (or "almost as good") as Gemini Man? Of course, there are also some scenes that falter a bit, especially low-lit interiors, but for 24 fps and streaming (with its compression factor) I am very, very impressed!

The only downside (which may not matter to some of you) were the almost non-stop "F-Bombs" in certain scenes.

post #26276 of 26427 Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Titans: The Complete First Season

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

As the debut original series for the fledgling DC Universe streaming service, Titans had many eyes on it at launch. Titans now makes its home video debut this week on Blu-ray from Warner in a two-disc set that collects all eleven episodes from season one. The technical specifications won't be a shock to anyone that has purchased television programs on Blu-ray before from WB. The AVC encode holds up under demanding action, largely thanks to an impeccably-shot production with exacting cinematography. A lot of money has been sunk into this production and would fit quite comfortably on premium cable.

As DC's first foray into television unhampered by the constraints of network television, Titans takes on a gritty tone and imposing visual aesthetic. The live-action drama isn't necessarily eye candy, but certainly provides impressive clarity and strong high-definition video. Its strongest virtue is an unwavering consistency to the picture quality. The desaturated color palette avoids primary colors. Titans is the antithesis of Adam West's Batman. Titans paints in shades of black by comparison to the colorful 60's series.

The digital transfer is free of artifacts and any real problems. Inky black levels and fine shadow delineation help set the mood. Close-ups pop with real dimensionality and razor-sharp focus. Titans is not a show overly concerned with showing off elaborate levels of detail, but takes an honest approach which avoids overusing CGI elements.
Titans: The Complete Second Season

Titans' second season on BD largely resembles the stellar picture quality of season one's set with a few small improvements, namely a less drastic color correction with more saturated primary colors. The aesthetic hasn't taken a complete 180 from the grim palette of season one's video, but changes in setting produce more lively colors and better exteriors set in San Francisco.

The grade is on the verge of Tier 0, it wouldn't shock me to find some of our easier reviewers here go higher on Titans. For a television production, albeit on premium streaming, depth and dimension are both fantastic in the superb digital cinematography.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #26277 of 26427 Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 AM

Brave (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (top 10)

Pitfall (Kino Lorber)
recommendation: Tier 4.5*

Cover Up (Kino Lorber)
recommendation: Tier 3.5*

post #26278 of 26427 Old 03-08-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of amazing PQ, I have been watching the new Amazon Prime Series "Hunters" via my Roku Premiere Plus. It is in 4K/HDR and some of the scenes are absolutely spectacular. Dare I say they're as good (or "almost as good") as Gemini Man? Of course, there are also some scenes that falter a bit, especially low-lit interiors, but for 24 fps and streaming (with its compression factor) I am very, very impressed!

The only downside (which may not matter to some of you) were the almost non-stop "F-Bombs" in certain scenes.
Sheesh, as if I wasn't looking forward to it enough already.

I watched all of Hunters on Amazon the last two weeks. Was planning on writing a word or two, the image quality was pristine and dare I say the best looking programme on the Prime platform.

The outdoor bright daylight scenes particularly were top of the reference list. That very particular opening scene with that BBQ is one of the best 4K/HDR demo -material scenes I've seen

The dimly lit interiors show off the limitations of the 15Mb/s bandwidth.. Compromises had to be made somewhere when those daylight scenes look THAT good
djoberg likes this.
post #26279 of 26427 Old 03-08-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Hunters and that opening scene. It was as good as the PQ in Gemini Man, IMHO, even though it has a different look based on the Frame Rate. I also agree with you that they did "fudge" a bit when it came to some of the interior scenes.

I will be watching the last two episodes tonight.
SnellTHX likes this.

post #26280 of 26427 Old 03-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Thor: The Dark World (UHD)

Five Miles to Midnight (Kino Lorber)
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Desert Fury (Kino Lorber)
recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page