The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 880 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3827Likes

post #26371 of 26378 Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Terry,

You are in for a real treat once you get your Atmos system; it truly puts you in a "dome of sound!" I will look forward to you "dropping in" to this thread to give us your impressions...on both the PQ and AQ. Again, the UHD/HDR brings this up to "Reference Level" which is light years ahead of the 2010 Blu-ray version. The Atmos mix also brings it UP to "Reference Level" EXCEPT the LFE isn't as low in demo scenes as the Blu-ray DTS-HD mix was. For the life of me I have no idea why they would "filter" the sound and lower the LFE. That said, the bass/LFE is still quite good!

Denny
Denny,

No-Worries on me saying what I think of Atmos once it's installed and of course then Custom Calibrated.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26372 of 26378 Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Terry,

I noticed on your "Build Page" that you are going to have Chad B. calibrate your system. I'm signed up with him too (for possibly June or July, but who knows where he is at now with the pandemic still wreaking havoc) to calibrate my LG OLED and I'm seriously thinking of having him to do my total SVS sound system too, even though I'm quite satisfied with it now after running my Denon's Audyssey XT32 calibration.

Denny

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26373 of 26378 Old 05-23-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Terry,

I noticed on your "Build Page" that you are going to have Chad B. calibrate your system. I'm signed up with him too (for possibly June or July, but who knows where he is at now with the pandemic still wreaking havoc) to calibrate my LG OLED and I'm seriously thinking of having him to do my total SVS sound system too, even though I'm quite satisfied with it now after running my Denon's Audyssey XT32 calibration.

Denny
Denny,

Speaking of Chad and getting hold of him.
I can tell you it's NOT easy buddy.
I'm not being ^^^ cute or a smart-ass I'm just sharing with you what I think.
He is really-really-really good at Both Audio as well as the Video Calibrating !!!

But, he's not a people person is the best way I know to say it.

(I was in sales for years & years so I am a people person and I reply instantly to All Request as an example versus a guy like Chad B)

I have reached-out to him multiple times and still don't have a real Confirmed-Date.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope eventually I will hear back from him, hopefully.

For what an AVS member's opinion is worth ............
I can say that the Biggest difference to me with my H/T was him doing the Audio !!!
It was KILLER after he did his thing especially my BASS.

There was a difference in the Video but nothing at all remotely like the difference to the Audio.

I'm having as you might have seen a lot of Major Up-Grades done in June and therefore I want Chad to redo Both the Audio & Video.

What I don't want to happen is to have to wait months and months for him to come to do the above.

If I find out that's ^^^ going to be the situation I'm more than likely going to look into seeing if there is another Highly-Trained Calibrator I can get sooner.

This latest project for multiple reasons has gone on for like a year from it's beginning.
So I'm not prepared to wait some Crazy Time Frame to get it all Custom-Calibrated once everything is installed.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26374 of 26378 Old 05-23-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^

I hear you Terry! I actually contacted Chad last FALL and he did get back to me quickly, only to inform me that he won't be touring Minnesota (where I live) till early summer at the soonest. But again, with the pandemic he is probably WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE since most people aren't letting anyone into their homes. I would have no problem with that myself.

Thanks for the heads up on Chad's "audio skills." You have just persuaded me to have him do it! Regarding the Video calibration, I may just have him do the least expensive one (Express Calibration) since I'm very, very satisfied with the PQ on my LG OLED 77C8 right now. I use one of the Cinema Modes (Dark Room) and have tweaked most of the settings to my liking and I get an amazing picture with good sources. I absolutely LOVE the BLACKS on this OLED and they make the colors POP and increase the depth.

Good luck to you in getting Chad to calibrate your system once it's all installed. BTW, I like your system!
tigerhonaker likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 05-23-2020 at 01:00 PM.
post #26375 of 26378 Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I Still Believe (1080p)

Another "Lionsgate Looker!!

This just "may" make it into Tier 0, but I'm not taking it there. The first few scenes featured tons of color-grading (ORANGE hues) that always serve to take me out of the movie (at least to some extent), resulting in less-than-accurate flesh tones and a softening of the PQ as well. The very first scene also had some overblown contrast giving it a "washed out look."

Okay, now for the good. This was razor-sharp from that point (the first few scenes) on, with excellent depth, vibrant colors, spot on flesh tones, deep blacks and finely-rendered shadow details, and strong contrast. Had the whole movie been like this it could have landed in Tier 0.

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS The Dolby Atmos mix was okay, but with very little action and rather subdued ballads in the music concert portions of the movie, it didn't serve much purpose.

PPS The acting was VERY GOOD...but I do wish that Christian movie producers would use Christian actors instead of "pretty faces" from "secular Hollywood."

post #26376 of 26378 Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 573
How To Train Your Dragon 3

I have many, many animated movies to catch up to and this one blew my mind completely. It looks a noticeable step above the likes of Coco and Moana, which were the top reference movies before HDR became all the rage. This movie had looks of solid (absolute) blacks, Hiccoughs enchanted sword is one the brightest elements I've ever seen on my B6 OLED (probably peaked at 750 nits ) razor-sharp best-in-class CGI throughout.

Linus from Linus Tech Tips uses this movie to assess the HDR performance of monitors like the Apple XDR Pro Display and its Asus equivalents, and I now understand why. The textures, detail and pop is phenomenal

Tier recommendation: 0 (Top 10)
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #26377 of 26378 Old 05-24-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^

I put it in the Top 3!!!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post58086952
SnellTHX likes this.

post #26378 of 26378 Old 05-24-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^

I hear you Terry! I actually contacted Chad last FALL and he did get back to me quickly, only to inform me that he won't be touring Minnesota (where I live) till early summer at the soonest. But again, with the pandemic he is probably WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE since most people aren't letting anyone into their homes. I would have no problem with that myself.

Thanks for the heads up on Chad's "audio skills." You have just persuaded me to have him do it! Regarding the Video calibration, I may just have him do the least expensive one (Express Calibration) since I'm very, very satisfied with the PQ on my LG OLED 77C8 right now. I use one of the Cinema Modes (Dark Room) and have tweaked most of the settings to my liking and I get an amazing picture with good sources. I absolutely LOVE the BLACKS on this OLED and they make the colors POP and increase the depth.

Good luck to you in getting Chad to calibrate your system once it's all installed.

I'm in contact with Chad currently just waiting for the "Confirmed-Date" from him.

BTW, I like your system!
I appreciate the compliment !!!

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page