The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 881 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3869Likes

post #26401 of 26433 Old 06-08-2020, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
^°^°^°^
Thanks for the tip, Phantom. I'm going to give the manual a deeper look. Don't have high hopes, tho.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26402 of 26433 Old 06-09-2020, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have questions about the calibration feature on Sony 4K/UHD Blu-ray titles. Since my questions are HDR and Blu-ray software related, I posted them in the HDR section of the display forum and this thread. I can't post a link because this is only my fourth post. Here are my questions as worded in the thread I created in the HDR section of the display forum. Either I'm impatient and I'm not Googling hard enough, or there are no cut and dry corresponding articles or instructions. Based on the 480i DVD THX and Sony 1080p Blu-ray test screens, I would assume that the objective for any patterns from black to gray to white is to cover the entire range without any clipping of black or white. The Sony 4K/UHD Blu-ray titles also feature this test in which a rectangle in the middle of the screen changes between red, green, blue, cyan, yellow, and majenta a few times. I'm pretty sure I'm listing these colors out of order. Each time it goes through the pattern, are the colors supposed to be darker, undersaturated, or still have normal saturation? If there are more cut and dry articles and/or instructions, could I please have a link? I'll take anything knowledgeable, but I'd like something from Sony or related to this Sony feature. Thank, guys.
post #26403 of 26433 Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Jaws

Pleasant, organic looking image. Very impressive for a movie that is almost 50 years old! Though it's filmic picture looks nice at times it does have heavy grain and some of the images are pretty poor. The variability in quality from an analog source. Some shots had really good details.

Tier recommendation: 1.5
mrtickleuk and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26404 of 26433 Old 06-14-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kelly View Post
I have questions about the calibration feature on Sony 4K/UHD Blu-ray titles. Since my questions are HDR and Blu-ray software related, I posted them in the HDR section of the display forum and this thread. I can't post a link because this is only my fourth post. Here are my questions as worded in the thread I created in the HDR section of the display forum. Either I'm impatient and I'm not Googling hard enough, or there are no cut and dry corresponding articles or instructions. Based on the 480i DVD THX and Sony 1080p Blu-ray test screens, I would assume that the objective for any patterns from black to gray to white is to cover the entire range without any clipping of black or white. The Sony 4K/UHD Blu-ray titles also feature this test in which a rectangle in the middle of the screen changes between red, green, blue, cyan, yellow, and majenta a few times. I'm pretty sure I'm listing these colors out of order. Each time it goes through the pattern, are the colors supposed to be darker, undersaturated, or still have normal saturation? If there are more cut and dry articles and/or instructions, could I please have a link? I'll take anything knowledgeable, but I'd like something from Sony or related to this Sony feature. Thank, guys.
Hey Chris,

I looked for helpful articles and couldn't find any. There may be other threads that address calibration of Sony UHD titles, but my Search was in vain. Sorry!

Denny

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26405 of 26433 Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Who is getting the 4k Columbia box set tomorrow? Do you think Lawrence of Arabia will be the new go to reference disc?
post #26406 of 26433 Old 06-15-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Who is getting the 4k Columbia box set tomorrow? Do you think Lawrence of Arabia will be the new go to reference disc?
I am most definitely interested in getting Lawrence of Arabia in 4K, for reviewers are saying it trumps its Blu-ray (1080p) counterpart (which I own and love) in many ways. But I'm not interested in most of the other offerings in the Columbia box set so I won't be shelling out over $100 for it.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #26407 of 26433 Old 06-15-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who may be interested, the Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player is on sale on many online sites. I ordered one a few days ago and I am absolutely elated with the PQ of this fantastic player that rivals the sorely-missed Oppo Blu-ray players.

In case you don't know, the Panny 820 has two amazing things going for it:

1) The HCX Processor! This processor is the same one that Panasonic put in their High End player (the 9000) that many are touting as the "Oppo replacement player." I watched Exodus: Gods and Kings last night and I was blown away by the phenomenal CONTRAST, vibrant COLORS, amazing BLACKS, and mesmerizing DETAILS. The night scenes were some of my favorites with pure EYE CANDY in the form of inky blacks and finely-rendered shadow details. The HDR in those scenes featured bright lights in homes/palaces and fires that were simply gorgeous.

2) The HDR Optimizer! This technology gives HDR10 titles the same look as Dolby Vision. In its settings you're able to put in what display you have (in my case an OLED) and the Optimizer will then know how many "nits" your display is capable of and with its exceptional algorithm will avoid "clipping" in really bright scenes. It also boosts the contrast levels and colors resulting in EYE CANDY on par with Dolby Vision.

I've had my eye on this player for quite some time (on online stores) but now my eyes see it sitting in my entertainment center AND my eyes are seeing the fabulous PQ that the high end processor is able to achieve. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!

Last edited by djoberg; 06-15-2020 at 05:38 PM.
post #26408 of 26433 Old 06-16-2020, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Open box is even cheaper. I've this one in my HT room while the lower brethren is almost at half the price in the FR with regular TV.
post #26409 of 26433 Old 06-16-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
I would like to see the new transfers. The problem is that I'm not keen on yet another box set. Frankly, even I'm running out of physical space for large disc sets.

What The Waters Left Behind

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

Horror from Argentina with tight cinematography and a moody color correction. You'd be hard-pressed telling this slasher isn't made by a slick Hollywood studio. Muted colors and stark visuals comprise the well-crafted film's polished aesthetic.

Put out in the States by Unearthed Films, the clean digital intermediate receives a technically astute transfer on Blu-ray. Sharp and unfiltered, definition and detail are outstanding. Maybe too revealing in some of the grittier scenes.

Independent filmmaking has come a long way in the past ten years. With the proper care and equipment they can achieve video quality on par with the latest studio productions, yielding superb-looking BDs.
djoberg and AmerCa like this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #26410 of 26433 Old 06-16-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mortal Engines (UHD)

I just watched this again on my new Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player and I am ready to join Snell below in nominating this for a spot in the "Top 3" of Tier Blu. Just read his review below and I agree 100% with everything he said! The only live action titles that are as good or maybe a "wee bit better" would be the current "King of the Hill"....Transformers: The Last Knight and Gemini Man. So you can put me down for...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (#3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Mortal Engines - 4K

Holy ****, WOW. This movie is an absolute reference movie. my expectations were sky-high for this movie, as it looked phenomenal in
3D IMAX. Peter Jackson's heavy involvement hyped me to believe this would be one of top dogs in image quality like The Hobbit trilogy still is today and like the now pretty old LOTR movies, are still near reference quality two decades later.

Mortal Engines exceeded my expectations and more! Another one of those "4K looking like 8K" discs with ridiculous amount of 3D depth fooling you to think it's a "2D looking like 3D" movie. Derived from a 4K D.I. (obviously) filmed with the RED Helium 8K camera, you can tell that 4K just doesn't do the picture quality justice. It is easily one of the best looking 4K/HDR movies I have ever seen. It is hard to imagine a better picture than this from the 1.7 metres I sit from my 55" OLED. If I move 20cm closer it remains perfect. 40cm closer and it is still flawless. 60cm closer, no noise, no pixelation, no artefacts, no grain... It made me want to glue my face to the screen.

CGI is best-in-class. The image so punchy it punches you in the face. Resolution is perfect, blacks are absolute, contrast infinite, clarity is pristine, details are endless. Colours pop. Razor-sharp is an understatement. its sharpness goes well beyond want I'd normally describe as sharp. I tried looking for faults in a faultless rendition/transfer of a movie and the only 'negative' thing I can think of is that I wish it was presented in a taller 1.78 / 1.85:1 format so it would fill my screen, but that's a personal preference and doesn't defer the rating of the picture quality at all.

Tier recommendation: 0 (Top 3?)
SnellTHX and AmerCa like this.

post #26411 of 26433 Old 06-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Forgive the awkward format here but I’m out of practice with Tapatalk and I have a question for you as an anime enthusiast: Have you gotten or are you getting Tokyo Godfathers? BR.com just gave it’s video a good review. I canceled my preorder when I saw criticisms of the overseas release that seems sourced from the same scan. On matters of anime (and Leonard Cohen) I’d take your recommendation sight unseen.

With that, back into the shadows I go.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
post #26412 of 26433 Old 06-17-2020, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
Forgive the awkward format here but I’m out of practice with Tapatalk and I have a question for you as an anime enthusiast: Have you gotten or are you getting Tokyo Godfathers? BR.com just gave it’s video a good review. I canceled my preorder when I saw criticisms of the overseas release that seems sourced from the same scan. On matters of anime (and Leonard Cohen) I’d take your recommendation sight unseen.

With that, back into the shadows I go.
Yes, I've seen the new Blu-ray. Tokyo Godfathers received a solid transfer, definitely better than prior Blu-ray attempts. Worth the cash, I doubt we'll ever get a better edition. Someone may have covered it already and given more in-depth thoughts...I'm not sure we'll be getting anymore Leonard Cohen on Blu-ray. I'd love to see last year's Marianne and Leonard: Words of Love on Blu-ray, but the label only got the documentary out on DVD. I have an HD version saved to my DVR.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/06/10/tok...lu-ray-review/
IronWaffle likes this.

post #26413 of 26433 Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Yes, I've seen the new Blu-ray. Tokyo Godfathers received a solid transfer, definitely better than prior Blu-ray attempts. Worth the cash, I doubt we'll ever get a better edition. Someone may have covered it already and given more in-depth thoughts...I'm not sure we'll be getting anymore Leonard Cohen on Blu-ray. I'd love to see last year's Marianne and Leonard: Words of Love on Blu-ray, but the label only got the documentary out on DVD. I have an HD version saved to my DVR.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/06/10/tok...lu-ray-review/

Thanks kind stranger. Your reply knocked me on the fence and my upgrade from DVD should be here in a week or so. (I did search the thread but, man, Tapatalk sucks). This is the only Satoshi Kon I’ve gotten. I did see Paprika screened last year but haven’t seen Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress (yet). Tangentially, now if only someone would do a proper release of Wings of Honneamise...

As to the Cohen doc, back before the apocalypse I drove some thirty miles to see it on a tiny theater screen which looked that much smaller with the giant recliners. Overall, it was a real treat but I haven’t had the urge to re-watch it. My public library subscribes to multiple digital services, including Kanopy, which has it on offer now. Not sure if HD or not. That’ll probably be my next viewing. I agree there won’t be much if any further physical HD for him. This doc is a niche within a niche within a niche.

Anyhow. Love this thread even though my rare contributions tend to veer from the thread. I now return you to the regularly scheduled posting, already in progress...
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
post #26414 of 26433 Old 06-22-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

British label 88 Films released this Italian exploitation flick two years ago in a region-free edition. The main feature is nicely encoded in AVC at excellent bitrates on a BD-50. A new film transfer has been struck with a lively contrast and solid black levels. Minor damage to the elements don't prove distracting in the film-like presentation. No signs of zealous video processing are evident.

Amazonia has fairly crisp definition for a low-budget feature and satisfactory levels of detail. Depth and shadow delineation aren't the best. Possibly a step behind the lavish film restorations handled by Arrow Video and other top-notch labels, 88 Films gives Amazonia a very respectable film transfer worth the money on Blu-ray.
AmerCa likes this.

post #26415 of 26433 Old 06-25-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Mortal Engines (UHD)

I just watched this again on my new Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player and I am ready to join Snell below in nominating this for a spot in the "Top 3" of Tier Blu. Just read his review below and I agree 100% with everything he said! The only live action titles that are as good or maybe a "wee bit better" would be the current "King of the Hill"....Transformers: The Last Knight and Gemini Man. So you can put me down for...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (#3)
Indeed. Mortal Engines in 4K/HDR is truly phenomenal. I actually think it is the best looking 2.35:1 presentation I have seen at home. The only better looking movies I can think of a primarily around the 1.85:1 range like Dunkirk, Transformers: LK and Gemini Man.
post #26416 of 26433 Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Indeed. Mortal Engines in 4K/HDR is truly phenomenal. I actually think it is the best looking 2.35:1 presentation I have seen at home. The only better looking movies I can think of a primarily around the 1.85:1 range like Dunkirk, Transformers: LK and Gemini Man.
So, you have watched Gemini Man. That's great but now you need to write a review with an exact placement.

post #26417 of 26433 Old 06-25-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^°^°^°^
He already has!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=59400556

SnellTHX likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #26418 of 26433 Old 06-26-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pennyworth: The Complete First Season

recommendation: Tier 2*

Warner Archive issues the EPIX spy thriller on Blu-ray in a well-done three-disc set. Framed at 2.00:1, the 1080P presentation has somewhat average definition and clarity by today's demanding standards. Heavy black levels crush minor shadow delineation in select scenes. Set in a moody, color-corrected England of the 1960s, flesh-tones err towards yellow.

Pennyworth looks deliberately more cinematic than most cable productions, slightly softer and less over-driven than usual. Nothing is particularly outstanding but satisfies with consistently solid video quality.
AmerCa likes this.

post #26419 of 26433 Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
^°^°^°^
He already has!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=59400556

Whoa! How in the world did I miss that? Oh, I guess I didn't "miss it" since I was one of three persons who "Liked" his post!!

post #26420 of 26433 Old 06-28-2020, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^°^°^°^
Lol! Well, that happens.

post #26421 of 26433 Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoa! How in the world did I miss that? Oh, I guess I didn't "miss it" since I was one of three persons who "Liked" his post!!
Yeah it took months to arrive and it certainly didn't disappoint! Top 3 reference disc for sure
post #26422 of 26433 Old 06-29-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Call of the Wild

Sharp & Clean looking image that is mostly image, but the excess CGI made it look a bit too soft to be placed in that category.

Tier recommendation: 1
post #26423 of 26433 Old 06-30-2020, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

American Psycho (4K restoration)

Out of all the old movies I've seen, this might be the best looking. I don't think I've seen a better looking movie that is 20 years old. Maybe Lawrence of Arabia and The Thin Red Line, though I've only seen the 1080p versions and that was more than half a decade ago, before the 4K/HDR revolution.

Lots of detail, no bad scenes, virtually grain-free but still presents a filmic look. I think LOTR:ROTK (2003) is the oldest movie that looks better than this! Very pleasantly surprised after always being disappointed when movies are 20 years or older receiving 10/10s as if they could compete with the best of 2019 and 2020.

Tier recommendation: 0.75
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #26424 of 26433 Old 06-30-2020, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 4751
Quote:
Jaws

Pleasant, organic looking image. Very impressive for a movie that is almost 50 years old! Though it's filmic picture looks nice at times it does have heavy grain and some of the images are pretty poor. The variability in quality from an analog source. Some shots had really good details.

Tier recommendation: 1.5

Snell, I viewed my BD (2014 release) recently--still impressed. During a couple of shots I wondered how 4K UHD handled them. Beach scenes where Chief is gazing toward the swimmers. Hot sandy salty air. I thought film caught it perfectly (remembering my beach bum days), though to some the picture might seem faded. Any thoughts?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #26425 of 26433 Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Snell, I viewed my BD (2014 release) recently--still impressed. During a couple of shots I wondered how 4K UHD handled them. Beach scenes where Chief is gazing toward the swimmers. Hot sandy salty air. I thought film caught it perfectly (remembering my beach bum days), though to some the picture might seem faded. Any thoughts?
Will rewatch and see! As I said some shots looked really detailed but others looked grainy and horrible. Almost like VHS quality.
Panson likes this.
post #26426 of 26433 Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Frozen II

By far and large; the best looking animated movie, EVER. HTTYD3 was a phenomenal top reference movie but Frozen II is next level. It's the sharpest and most detailed I've seen from Disney (or anyone else) bold colours, punchy image with lots of POP I watched this movie quite a while ago but forgot to review it so I don't remember the exact scene, but there's a part where Olaf sings and the entire screen goes black except for the animated character sticking out in '3D space'. That depth, the infinite contrast and absolute black is one the best scenes I've ever scene in a movie.

Tier recommendation: 0 (#1 best-in-class animation)
post #26427 of 26433 Old 07-02-2020, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Frozen II

By far and large; the best looking animated movie, EVER. HTTYD3 was a phenomenal top reference movie but Frozen II is next level. It's the sharpest and most detailed I've seen from Disney (or anyone else) bold colours, punchy image with lots of POP I watched this movie quite a while ago but forgot to review it so I don't remember the exact scene, but there's a part where Olaf sings and the entire screen goes black except for the animated character sticking out in '3D space'. That depth, the infinite contrast and absolute black is one the best scenes I've ever scene in a movie.

Tier recommendation: 0 (#1 best-in-class animation)
Yep, your assessment mirrors mine. I added a few more "superlatives" in my review, which is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post59306014

post #26428 of 26433 Old 07-03-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, your assessment mirrors mine. I added a few more "superlatives" in my review, which is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post59306014
Yeah it truly is remarkable and deserves all the superlatives you gave it. I see you referenced the same two or three scenes as I did, with the singing that fades to black I haven't watched every animated movie but this one is certainly the best of all I have seen
post #26429 of 26433 Old 07-04-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have a productive and festive Independence day!

Fit To Kill

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Andy Sidaris and his Malibu Bay Films have been serviced reasonably well by Mill Creek Entertainment. They've been steadily issuing his body of exploitation films on Blu-ray with new film transfers, most taken from the camera negatives. Sun-lit exteriors and a focus on clarity produce good-looking video on Blu-ray. Fit To Kill exhibits excellent grain reproduction and a pumped-up contrast with warm flesh-tones. The color palette is nicely saturated, tilted towards magenta.

The film elements are in almost perfect condition. Mill Creek doesn't have a great reputation with videophiles but their work here is exemplary. Technical parameters are up to snuff with a thorough AVC encode spread out on a BD-50.
AmerCa likes this.

post #26430 of 26433 Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Forgive me, but where exactly are the PQ Tier lists?

Also, to you frequent reviewers, thank you - I've watched or purchased many movies based on your reviews over the years.
djoberg and Cheddarhead like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page