Anyone Get Aviator? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your thoughts on PQ and AQ would be appreciated! TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
here's a review from highdefdigest

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1123/aviator.html
post #3 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I noticed a lot of noise or grain in the interior scene where Errol Flynn(IIRC) takes one of his peas. I didn't notice it anywhere else. Overall, I loved it, but I wouldn't have given the PQ a 4.5 maybe 4, but it didn't have the depth that the pirates movies had. But, I had just watched Ratatouille, so that may have risen the bar for PQ, I'd have given that 5/5
Dug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I thought that the PQ was very good. I thought that the audio was rather average even taking into account that some of the music is, apparently, supposed to sound a bit dated. The big crash scene sort'a rose up and sounded big but a bit hollow. I just have to believe there is alot of improvement potential for the soundtrack. Deee-luxe edition at 11.....

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #5 of 25 Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Does it have the smeary DNR look of the DVD and 35mm prints?
post #6 of 25 Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I wasn't thinking to get this BD without some feedback and thanks to those who responded. I sure thought I'd see more chatter on this one though.

I didn't care for the SD and I suppose I could throw this into my queue and take a peek at the BD and judge accordingly.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I wasn't thinking to get this BD without some feedback and thanks to those who responded. I sure thought I'd see more chatter on this one though.

I didn't care for the SD and I suppose I could throw this into my queue and take a peek at the BD and judge accordingly.

I just watched part of this over the weekend. The first third looked horrible, and not just because of the filming style. The balance looked somewhat better, but definitely not first rate. I haven't seen any other version, so I can't compare.

I don't understand how anyone could give this 4.5 stars for PQ.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^

I appreciate those internet review sites and the time they take. I'm unsure what equipment is utilized but I wait until I hear from some folks here to base an evaluation. If they are consistent, then I can evaluate know how to proceed.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got a Sony BDP-S300 and I picked up several BD's over the past couple of days. The picture is very, very nice but the color in The Aviator seems to be off or something. A good example would be in chapter 6 when Hughes and Hepburn are playing golf; the grass is this weird shade of blue/green and even Hepburn's white jacket looks a lighter version of the same color. Has anyone seen this??

I'm pretty confident it's not the player since all the other discs look great. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jeff
post #10 of 25 Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's nothing wrong with your player Jeff. The film is done that way intentionally. It either is or simulates a Two Strip colour process used back in that era. It's all hunky dory.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #11 of 25 Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgun View Post

I just got a Sony BDP-S300 and I picked up several BD's over the past couple of days. The picture is very, very nice but the color in The Aviator seems to be off or something. A good example would be in chapter 6 when Hughes and Hepburn are playing golf; the grass is this weird shade of blue/green and even Hepburn's white jacket looks a lighter version of the same color. Has anyone seen this??

I'm pretty confident it's not the player since all the other discs look great. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, as Rachael stated above, it was filmed with 3 different styles. Each representing the different era and type of filming Hollywood was using at the time. So, the film's PQ actually gets better as it goes along as technology improved. It was an artistic decision made by Scorsese. It's not your disc or player.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

Yes, as Rachael stated above, it was filmed with 3 different styles. Each representing the different era and type of filming Hollywood was using at the time. So, the film's PQ actually gets better as it goes along as technology improved. It was an artistic decision made by Scorsese. It's not your disc or player.

You gotta be kidding me! I just watched this disc last night. I spent an hour last night messing with HDMI cables and I even looked at the color balance on my TV set.

The scenes that bothered me, and they all seemed to have the aqua blue greens, were the beet field where he crashes the plane, the golf course scene, and the peas in the restaurant scene. But whats weird , is in the beginning of the movie the color balance seemed pretty good, then you go to the aqua green, then the colors get super saturated when he's having dinner at his girlfriends house.

After watching further, I realized it was the disc, and not my equipment, It makes you wonder what these directors are smoking. Like the Bourne Ultimatum camera shake thing.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this ordered at one point until I decided to wait and see if it turns up in a BOGO deal.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I hope that Warner features lossless tracks in their overseas editions.

Blu-ray : 340
post #15 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching The Aviator, I had the impression that some of the audio was made to sound vintage, particularly the music.

post #16 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalky View Post

It makes you wonder what these directors are smoking. Like the Bourne Ultimatum camera shake thing.

Yes, by all means, let's abolish artistic statements in the name of PQ!
post #17 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
I just picked this one up today. I thought it looked pretty decent and I remember the colors being a bit funky even in the theatrical release so nothing threw me. I like this movie quite a lot and I think it was a very faithful representation of the theatrical experience. I'd recommend it without hesitation to anyone who likes the movie.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalky View Post

You gotta be kidding me! I just watched this disc last night. I spent an hour last night messing with HDMI cables and I even looked at the color balance on my TV set.

The scenes that bothered me, and they all seemed to have the aqua blue greens, were the beet field where he crashes the plane, the golf course scene, and the peas in the restaurant scene. But whats weird , is in the beginning of the movie the color balance seemed pretty good, then you go to the aqua green, then the colors get super saturated when he's having dinner at his girlfriends house.

After watching further, I realized it was the disc, and not my equipment, It makes you wonder what these directors are smoking. Like the Bourne Ultimatum camera shake thing.

These are the same scenes I had problems with. It looked like crap, so I returned my Aviator disk to Amazon assuming it was defective.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 AM

I saw a trailer at Best Buy that advertised Batman Begins will be on blu-ray soon. Anyone who the exact timing of this release?
post #20 of 25 Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage12 View Post

These are the same scenes I had problems with. It looked like crap, so I returned my Aviator disk to Amazon by declaring it defective.

Which is funny because it wasn't defective. You one of those guys that returns Sin City because its in Black & White?
post #21 of 25 Old 01-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post

Which is funny because it wasn't defective. You one of those guys that returns Sin City because its in Black & White?

First I thought it was my equipment was defective. After testing my equipment with other blu-ray disks, I realized my equipment was fine. Then I thought the Aviator disk was defective and returned it prior to reading the threads in this forum. Don't be so quick to be critical. Life's too short.
post #22 of 25 Old 01-21-2008, 04:13 PM
nyg
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched The Aviator recently and I thought it looked quite good. Great film!
post #23 of 25 Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage12 View Post

First I thought it was my equipment was defective. After testing my equipment with other blu-ray disks, I realized my equipment was fine. Then I thought the Aviator disk was defective and returned it prior to reading the threads in this forum. Don't be so quick to be critical. Life's too short.

You have to admit that it is sort' a funny that the look of this film has freaked out you and others. Truth is stranger than fiction, often times.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Some quick shots of the Nordic AVC version as per a request in the specs thread.

Unfortunately it's nothing to get excited about. Compression is good but not perfect, particularly backgrounds in darker scenes are prone to blocking and posterization. The real problem however is that they've applied temporal noise-reduction to almost the entire movie, causing moderate to light "grain trailing" or smearing. Most likely it was done at the DI stage, but it's hard to know for certain. Of course this is not very visible in static shots.

post #25 of 25 Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ZOMBIETIME!

I owned the HD DVD of this movie and cross-graded to the BD but didn't watch it for at least a year - unwrapped it yesterday to watch it. The audio level was EXTREMELY low - I had to push an extra 8db of volume to get it to a typical movie level - and even then it seemed very soft. Can anyone tell me if the HD DVD was also this way (have the LG duallie and will revert to the HD DVD if it's better), or if anyone else noticed the very low audio level on this flick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page