Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #9781 of 9791 Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3028 Post(s)
Liked: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecat View Post
It does appear that netflix mail is dying given the lack of availability of new release discs. I've been with netflix mail for 6 years but will be dropping it soon because I upgraded to a 4k projector and want 4k media.

I think netflix is stuck in no mans land if they don't start offering 4k discs. Those that are content with 480p/1080p quality are going to stream. Those with nice AV systems who want the best quality want 4k discs which aren't offered. So the netflix niche consumer is going to keep shrinking as 4k increases in popularity.
NF wants out of the disk business .. it's really a very long shot that they would ever consider offering 4K disks ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9791 Old 11-01-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
NF wants out of the disk business ..
it's really a very long shot that they would ever consider offering 4K disks ..
I 100% agree that NF will concentrate more & more on Streaming like Amazon Prime and of course using the ROKU Ultra for other streaming services.

I have streamed a few things that were in HDR from Amazon Prime that did look Great and actually the Audio was Pretty Kick-Butt.

I still think Hard-Disc are for the most part the much better source ...........

Terry
post #9783 of 9791 Old 11-02-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I've had Netflix since 11/99 (yes, 20 years this month!!) They used to come in yellow mailers that were thick stiff paper. Then, for a few months, they started experimenting. I received some that were in bubble wrap with a plastic over wrap, a Styrofoam sandwich, and a few others. They eventually figured out DVD's were pretty tough and went to the red thin paper they still use today. Also, some DVD's designed for rental are heavier duty and sometimes have scratch coatings (or at least did back in the day). Over the years, I have received very, very few cracked or obviously scratched DVD's or BD's.

Tried to check my history, but it only goes to 8/15/2000. I know it was '99 as I had bought a DVD player a few months earlier (Sony BDP-S530), and it had a coupon that was about to expire. Blockbuster's DVD selection at the time was meager.
BigJeff and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by andyross63; 11-02-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9784 of 9791 Old 11-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Netflix roped me back in with another free month of disc rentals. There is still a pretty decent BD selection. My nearest distribution center has been closed (Omaha) and the discs now come from KC.

I've been an on and off subscriber to 3D Blu-ray for a couple years now since I've had my 4k player. Nothing beats their selection of 3D, 4K, and indie label BD. I love that they make it clear which version of the title it is. Many movies have multiple different releases and it's good to be able to select the one with the best / most recent remaster and special features. 98% of what I rent there isnt available on Netflix in the same version. It's definitely more expensive per title but I find the known limits of my 10 per month plan oddly calming in that I know the constant price per disc.

I'll continue to use Netflix BD rental for HBO dramas because it's the best PQ/AQ until they buck up and start doing 4k/HDR. I was surprised that nothing got announced on that front during the HBO Max presentation this week. Apparently HBO Max and HBO Now/Go are to run on different back end technology. If they roll out 4K/HDR on Max only that could help them transition many of their current HBO subscribers to Max (which I assume they intend the price point above the $15 of HBO Now eventually).

Now that I'm fully acclimatized to 4K HDR I just can't go back to watching 1080p movies on streaming. It's BD or better only at this point. Especially for epics. The filmmakers put too much money and effort into the production design, locations, and cinematography for me to watch a knowingly interior copy!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #9785 of 9791 Old 11-03-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Anyone have a list of what distribution centers are left? I see BigJeff gets his from Kansas City. Here in Chicago, they now come from Columbus OH.
post #9786 of 9791 Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Anyone have a list of what distribution centers are left? I see BigJeff gets his from Kansas City. Here in Chicago, they now come from Columbus OH.
Try the below ................

Netflix distribution centers in the US ???

https://www.google.com/search?biw=15...ZwuD3oQ4dUDCAs

Terry
post #9787 of 9791 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I checked with them on that a while back and was told it's a matter of USPS scanning and the USPS changes regarding Media Mail .. etc .. while I have not researched the current status of distribution centers, I'd guess they may be shrinking in nunber .. add that along with this ::

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...2434cd036.html
NetFlix Blu-ray rental is the only viable rental service I'm aware of that provides access to recently released DVD/Blu-ray titles. That's why I'm still renting discs from NetFlix since 2000. But fairly recently NetFlix is taking two days to get the discs on the way to its customers. Even worse I'm now having to wait weeks to get movies at the top of my active queue. That's forcing me to put movies in my queue I normally wouldn't watch and don't enjoy as much.

The article you referred to states NetFlix makes an operating profit of roughly 50% on DVD subscriptions, after covering the expense of buying discs & postage to and from its distribution centers. I'm guessing Blu-ray shrinks that profit a bit, but it still sound like a pretty good profit. So I don't really understand with that profit margin NetFlix is not keep this a viable service?

I'll likely stay with NetFlix as long as I can get enough current Blu-ray discs to watch on my projector each weekend. But if I reach the point where I can't get enough material that I enjoy, I'll probably have to consider cancelling the NetFlix Blu-ray service. I can only hope either NetFlix will improve their service or some other bright spark company will fill the void.
Ron likes this.

Len
Acoustic Frontiers Room Design; Raidho D3 speakers; Jeff Rowland Corus preamp & 625 amp; EMM Labs XDS1 v2 CD/SACD player; JL Audio F212v2 sub; JL Audio CR-1 crossover; JVC DLA RS66U projector; DA-LITE/JKP Affinity Screen; Solidtech ROS w/Ultrasonic shelving; Nordost/Ansuz cabling, Ti Pulsar Points, QB4 power distributor; Quantum QX4 power conditioner
post #9788 of 9791 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Quote:
NF wants out of the disk business .. it's really a very long shot that they would ever consider offering 4K disks ..
Unfortunately 4K material is still in short supply relative to the number of movies released to disc. So I can understand why NetFlix is still not offering 4K. Blu-ray material still looks VG to me and since I watch movies on a 120" diagonal screen, I consider Blu-ray ab essential to watching movies.

The NetFlix service is the only rental I know of that provides most movies in Blu-ray as soon as they're released to discs. The main problem I'm experiencing is a several weeks wait time to get the most popular movies. That tells me NetFlix is not ordering enough Blu-rays to meet the demand of their customers.

I've always felt NetFlix was a great service and have been a customer for going on 20 years. They've provided me with a lot of great entertainment at a VG price. I'm hoping they'll continue the service and improve their customer experience instead of caving into the "profit over all" philosophy employed by so many businesses these days.

Len
Acoustic Frontiers Room Design; Raidho D3 speakers; Jeff Rowland Corus preamp & 625 amp; EMM Labs XDS1 v2 CD/SACD player; JL Audio F212v2 sub; JL Audio CR-1 crossover; JVC DLA RS66U projector; DA-LITE/JKP Affinity Screen; Solidtech ROS w/Ultrasonic shelving; Nordost/Ansuz cabling, Ti Pulsar Points, QB4 power distributor; Quantum QX4 power conditioner

Last edited by lwhitefl; Yesterday at 08:21 AM.
post #9789 of 9791 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhitefl View Post
NetFlix Blu-ray rental is the only viable rental service I'm aware of that provides access to recently released DVD/Blu-ray titles. That's why I'm still renting discs from NetFlix since 2000. But fairly recently NetFlix is taking two days to get the discs on the way to its customers. Even worse I'm now having to wait weeks to get movies at the top of my active queue. That's forcing me to put movies in my queue I normally wouldn't watch and don't enjoy as much.

The article you referred to states NetFlix makes an operating profit of roughly 50% on DVD subscriptions, after covering the expense of buying discs & postage to and from its distribution centers. I'm guessing Blu-ray shrinks that profit a bit, but it still sound like a pretty good profit. So I don't really understand with that profit margin NetFlix is not keep this a viable service?

I'll likely stay with NetFlix as long as I can get enough current Blu-ray discs to watch on my projector each weekend. But if I reach the point where I can't get enough material that I enjoy, I'll probably have to consider cancelling the NetFlix Blu-ray service. I can only hope either NetFlix will improve their service or some other bright spark company will fill the void.

I'm in the process of dropping Netflix disc rental; most of my disc rentals are now from:

https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

They have new releases and a good selection of older stuff, in BluRay, 3D BluRay, and 4K formats.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9790 of 9791 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I'm in the process of dropping Netflix disc rental; most of my disc rentals are now from:

https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

They have new releases and a good selection of older stuff, in BluRay, 3D BluRay, and 4K formats.
Thanks for the link. We like to watch currently released movies on Friday and Saturday nights on a projection screen which makes Blu-ray the minimum format.

Have you found there's enough newly released HD material for two discs/week?

Len
post #9791 of 9791 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhitefl View Post
Thanks for the link. We like to watch currently released movies on Friday and Saturday nights on a projection screen which makes Blu-ray the minimum format.

Have you found there's enough newly released HD material for two discs/week?
Yes for sure. They have pretty much everything that is release on Blu-ray that is at all popular, and respond well to requests to stick some title they don't have. Netflix passes over most Blu-ray content these days but 3DBR has a great deal. Try it for a month to explore!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page