Cinram to add 15 more Blu-ray lines to Olyphant PA production facility - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I think the only concern for Sony is if they can keep up with demand. There are essentially only two players in BD replication, Sony and Cinram. Technicolor might be in there somewhere but I'm not sure whether they are offloading their BD orders or not. Each have their own "captive" studios which is guaranteed income. Sony owns Columbia / Tristar and Cinram owns Warner's replication and distribution. The other major studios have contracts ( N. America or international ) with Technicolor, Cinram, or Bertelsmann ( which brings you back to Sony BMG ).

Who does what in the replication business is pretty hard to follow. LOL

Wow...I said the exact same thing months ago and I was told by certain BD insiders that I was lying

Anyway, that is in the past so I won't make a big deal of it. As for the yield rates on BD50's...I have been told that they have increased to almost acceptable levels...one of my sources has stated over 90%, the other says they have improved, but isn't sure if the over 90% number I gave him from the first source was correct. Hopefully I will know more next week.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, the larger the volume of discs, the higher the yield percentage is. 6 months ago, the first 3,000 to 5,000 discs were coasters off a BD50 line and that number has been reduced down to a few hundred discs.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #63 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Also, the larger the volume of discs, the higher the yield percentage is. 6 months ago, the first 3,000 to 5,000 discs were coasters off a BD50 line and that number has been reduced down to a few hundred discs.

Are they accomplishing this by putting less data on the discs? Or through some other process?

Have the resolved the issues with yields dropping precipitously after a certain fill rate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wow...I said the exact same thing months ago and I was told by certain BD insiders that I was lying

I imagine we'll see more truth now that Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD DVD and there is less of a need to hide the shortcommings of these formats.

Strangely, many 'BD Insiders' have gone on a bit of hiatus after Toshiba pulled the plug ... I wonder if that anything to do with Project Hydra?
post #65 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post

Are they accomplishing this by putting less data on the discs? Or through some other process?

Have the resolved the issues with yields dropping precipitously after a certain fill rate?

jdg,

One of my sources has told me that there was a slight change in the spin coat formula (viscosity change) that has helped with the puddling on the outside edge issue, which has increased the yields. While not completely out of the woods as far as manufacturing goes, it is a lot better than it was 6 months ago and I'm sure 6 months ago it will be better than today.

post #66 of 232 Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post

Strangely, many 'BD Insiders' have gone on a bit of hiatus after Toshiba pulled the plug ... I wonder if that anything to do with Project Hydra?

One, I think that the majority of BD insiders were treated poorly on this forum over the past two years and have decided to post less on AVS.

Second, I think a lot of NDA's are still in effect.
post #67 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
jevans64 :

Good to see you here.

Any idea on how many finished retail ready BD50 units a new Blu-ray machine line can produce in a day, week month?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #68 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

One, I think that the majority of BD insiders were treated poorly on this forum over the past two years and have decided to post less on AVS.

Second, I think a lot of NDA's are still in effect.

First line is YMMV and kinda format warish talk. Obviously their strategy ended up being successful here and in its final result . Opinions vary.

Second line is very true. NDA's are kinda significant now.

Third thought. With the end of the format war, those on the victorious side are pretty freaken busy right now and first adopter and Internet forum conversations are not a priority right now.

Personally I'm of the opinion that a tactical retreat from the AVS insider forum was a great strategy as Blu-ray was continuing to gain momentum last year, kinda like a political race where the guy who is ahead wants to have a little debates as possible. YMMV on that opinion of course.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #69 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

jdg,

One of my sources has told me that there was a slight change in the spin coat formula (viscosity change) that has helped with the puddling on the outside edge issue, which has increased the yields. While not completely out of the woods as far as manufacturing goes, it is a lot better than it was 6 months ago and I'm sure 6 months ago it will be better than today.

I have been told the change was very recent ( like in the past 30 days!) in the manufacturing work flow. It may have improved the startup yields when you first turned the machine on considerably. I'm told before most of the first 10,000s off the line before had really poor yields (less than 50%) and that the line stabilizes much faster now.

I did not know it was related to the spin coat, but I was told before that was where the yield problem was.

follow me on Twitter
post #70 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Anyway, that is in the past so I won't make a big deal of it. As for the yield rates on BD50's...I have been told that they have increased to almost acceptable levels...one of my sources has stated over 90%, the other says they have improved, but isn't sure if the over 90% number I gave him from the first source was correct. Hopefully I will know more next week.

That was fast. Someone saw my last post and gave me additional info.

Warner executives allegedly knew of increased Blu-ray BD50 yields last month and that specific factor was a key element in their decision making process.

Singulas or Cinram provided that info to the BDA. It was one of the new technical factors that were considered.

The increased yields or promises of additional replication capacity or subsidies may have been a major factor in Warner's decisive decision that ended the format war.

follow me on Twitter
post #71 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

I have been told the change was very recent ( like in the past 30 days!) in the manufacturing work flow. It may have improved the startup yields when you first turned the machine on considerably. I'm told before most of the first 10,000s off the line before had really poor yields (less than 50%) and that the line stabilizes much faster now.

I did not know it was related to the spin coat, but I was told before that was where the yield problem was.

Kosty,

Maybe the change was found out about a few months ago, but it took some time to implement on the "front lines". Either way, we are where we are and I'm glad for it. The faster that BD50 production gets online, the better chance we have for a successful HD format that doesn't involve dowloads.

As for the first 10,000 discs....I received the exact same information from many sources...one of them a prominent BD insider who asked not to be named.

post #72 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I was told it was getting to be practice that they did not even test some of the first discs after they started the line and it was after 10,000 went through that things stabilized. Hopefully things are better now and will get better over time.

At the Olyphant PA Cinram plant, the two existing BD lines are different types and the newer 15 machines that are on order are of a newer type that are more refined and expected to have even higher yields.

follow me on Twitter
post #73 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Either way, we are where we are and I'm glad for it.

Me too.

follow me on Twitter
post #74 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Personally I'm of the opinion that a tactical retreat from the AVS insider forum was a great strategy as Blu-ray was continuing to gain momentum last year, kinda like a political race where the guy who is ahead wants to have a little debates as possible. YMMV on that opinion of course.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that they retreated due to the fact their posts contradicting vicious rumors and half truths were being deleted. It would be like a political debate where only one side got to talk and the other side was just forced to stand their and listen. YMMV of course.
post #75 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide View Post

Personally, I'm of the opinion that they retreated due to the fact their posts contradicting vicious rumors and half truths were being deleted. It would be like a political debate where only one side got to talk and the other side was just forced to stand their and listen. YMMV of course.

I agree completely with this. Also deleted were posts that did things such as ask "HD-DVD insiders" (particularly one[s] from Microsoft) to explain (documented and sourced) contradictions/discrepancies between their postings. I know because I had a number of my posts deleted and received as explanation that "we don't play 'got'cha' with the Insiders". So HD-DVD insiders were protected but it was open season on the Blu-ray insiders with the Blu insiders subject of unrelenting attack. I don't think many will be returning to this forum; they're thriving on other websites as well as very busy working toward the advancement of the Blu-ray format.
post #76 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide View Post

I believe you spelled 'containing' wrong. It's not spelled 'contradicting'.
post #77 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

I agree completely with this. Also deleted were posts that did things such as ask "HD-DVD insiders" (particularly one[s] from Microsoft) to explain (documented and sourced) contradictions/discrepancies between their postings. I know because I had a number of my posts deleted and received as explanation that "we don't play 'got'cha' with the Insiders". So HD-DVD insiders were protected but it was open season on the Blu-ray insiders with the Blu insiders subject of unrelenting attack. I don't think many will be returning to this forum; they're thriving on other websites as well as very busy working toward the advancement of the Blu-ray format.

Please don't attempt to play the victim here, Blu-ray insiders were equally as protected in the Insider's Thread. This went both ways.

Besides, weren't you at the same time attempting to gather support for a Class Action Lawsuit against Paramount for switching sides? I tried to find a similar attempt by you when Warner switched, but was unable.
post #78 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Fact: Blu-ray insiders have their own area in another internet forum. So, you can ask questions to insiders there if you like. If you are rude to them your membership will be deleted pronto.

Now, can we get back Cinram?
post #79 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Now, can we get back Cinram?

^^^

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #80 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

Howdy Mark!

Back to Cinram:

From reading, it takes several months to get these things put together and running; but, is it a phased approach? For example, if 15 machines are being purchased, do they get brought up a few at a time?

I guess my question is are we looking at 6-8 months before any capacity increase is seen, or is that when all machines will be available?
post #81 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I'm told 3-6 months from now. Possible some before that, if Singulus had some unallocated units either built or under assembly. Install is not simple and testing etc adds some variability to the time line. All units are supposed to be service in time for fall production.

Fortunate that the end of the format war happened so early in the year so that this capacity can be ready for the fall.

They all (15) are on order now for the Olyphant PA Cinram plant. Singulus is now sole BD machine provider besides Sony. Order is to Singulus. Don't know about the other Cinram facility.

All will be probably be installed as soon as they can come from the manufacturer even if its one at a time, as they are standalone units. Singulus just bought out Oerlikon last month. Bottleneck is the sole source supplier for the machines and how many units they can deliver when.

Possible that Singulus has already machines already built that could be shipped quickly to the plant site for installation, but its a major chore to install this and get it ready for production runs, its like a major printing press install. Pretty much machines are either custom built to order or they are built in anticipation of future demand. Takes time to build them and install, not like picking one off the shelf at the local hardware store.

Singulus last year only projected 15 total Blu-ray machines to be sold in 2008. This one event either doubles that or was the 15 machines. I'm told this is a new order, whose decision was a very recent one.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...31335620080202

follow me on Twitter
post #82 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://www.oto-online.com/pdf/oto_do...MasterPlan.pdf

This article talked about the PTM mastering process for the glass master . I think the Cinram Olyphant has a PTM system in place as it upgraded to that when it brought in the two Blu-ray test lines in 2007. Not absolutely sure though.

My understanding is only one is needed for the facility.

follow me on Twitter
post #83 of 232 Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

jevans64 :

Good to see you here.

Any idea on how many finished retail ready BD50 units a new Blu-ray machine line can produce in a day, week month?

You are probably looking at 10,000 discs per day for BD50 on huge runs of discs. By comparison, Cinram has machines than can produce over 40,000 DVDs per day.

On Singulus:

The new BD lines will be installed in phases with a crew of 2 or 3 guys from Singulus to do the assembly. Cinram probably placed the orders for both Huntsville and Olyphant a few months back. Singulus probably needs about 2 or 3 months to complete assembly of the first lines then they will be crated and shipped. The machines will probably come in six or seven pieces ( pre-assembled modules ) and the crew will assemble them on-site one-at-a-time. I don't know about Olyphant but Huntsville has all the utility hookups and open space ready for 6 machines. The Singulus guys can get one running in about 2 weeks and start on the next one and so on. Our guys will help with the heavy lifting, module assembly, and utility hookup while the Singulus guys hook up the internals, troubleshoot any internal problems, and tweak parameters.

I'm pretty sure Huntsville will have its first lines running by late spring but if Olyphant is getting 15 instead of 4 or 6, then it will take a few more months to finish their upgrade.

Huntsville currently has a Singulus crew ( 2 guys ) in-plant doing the latest upgrades to our two existing BD test-bed lines so that will probably be completed first. If Singulus can get a new line to us before they finish, then the crew can jump right on that as Huntsville is ready.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #84 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

You are probably looking at 10,000 discs per day for BD50 on huge runs of discs. By comparison, Cinram has machines than can produce over 40,000 DVDs per day.

1/4 the output from Blu-ray machine compared to a DVD machine? On huge runs? Yikes!

Hope that gets better than 10,000 units/24 hour soon. 10,000/day gives the entire plant a 170,000 day capacity or maybe about a 3 Blu-ray titles a week capacity for 340,000 unit runs. It would take one machine 5 days-to a week for a small Blu-ray unit run of 50,000 - 100,000 produced discs.

The timing on getting these in service seems even faster than we were discussing. Thats the good news.

Singulas had announced back in early January that it anticipated at least 15 unit sales of BD lines for 2008. Maybe these are lines in question, which might infer if they were ordered before more lines might be ordered even now.

Of course since both Cinram facilities discussed here have maxed their floor space and Blu-ray lines cannot do DVD and DVD lines have to be taken out of service and that capacity lost, its a bit of a balancing act to guess the future DVD vs Blu-ray demand ratio.

Cinram would probably be cautious in not killing off DVD capacity to soon and over investing in Blu-ray only machines. Seems that inherently implies that Blu-ray capacity will be an issue for awhile.

follow me on Twitter
post #85 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not Cinram, but related:

http://www.tribstar.com/opinion/loca...054162619.html

Sony is currently defining all of our expansion and hiring needs, said Shelley Klingerman, marketing manager at Sony DADC in Terre Haute. Those plans will be unveiled this spring, she added.

But the signs are already hopeful. The Terre Haute facility is in the process of hiring 15 engineers and 50 technicians.
post #86 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Not Cinram, but related:

http://www.tribstar.com/opinion/loca...054162619.html

Sony is currently “defining all of our expansion and hiring needs,” said Shelley Klingerman, marketing manager at Sony DADC in Terre Haute. Those plans will be unveiled this spring, she added.

But the signs are already hopeful. The Terre Haute facility is in the process of hiring 15 engineers and 50 technicians.

How many do they employ now on Blu-ray production now? i wonder how much of a staff increase would that be dedicated to Blu-ray production? Any previous Sony DADC press releases bragging about the staff size? Looks like all those folks are related to increased BD production.

Quote:

New jobs and production expansion deepens Sony’s roots in this community. The company exhibited its faith in its Terre Haute work force, which includes about 1,200 employees making a variety of disc products, by investing $81 million in the Blu-ray manufacturing line. Terre Haute is the largest of three plants producing the Sony Blu-ray worldwide, and has been operating here since 1983.

follow me on Twitter
post #87 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

How many do they employ now? How much of a staff increase would that be?

From the linked article:

The company exhibited its faith in its Terre Haute work force, which includes about 1,200 employees making a variety of disc products, by investing $81 million in the Blu-ray manufacturing line. Terre Haute is the largest of three plants producing the Sony Blu-ray worldwide, and has been operating here since 1983.
post #88 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

1/4 the output and 2x the physical space? Is that correct?

Are these 10k discs 'retail ready'? I'm thinking 'bad discs' are not included in this count?

What is the key reason for the lower output? Is it due to poorer yields, higher cycle times, or a bit of both? I think I remember reading that cycle times for Blu-ray were 2-3x that of DVD, so I guess it makes sense if you factor in lower yields for BR versus DVD? Or am I way off base here?
post #89 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

jdg,

You aren't off base. The FACT is that BD is a more difficult manufacturing process than DVD or HD DVD. The cycle times are a lot slower due to the physics of the process and the yields are still lower at this point. I'm sure the yields will improve, but the cycle times will only improve so much. Also, you are looking at millions of dollars of infrastructure to get in the game of BD50 production. More will come on line in the coming year, but only the big boys (Cinram and Sony DADC) will be making the majority of the BD50 discs in the coming months, just like in 2007.

post #90 of 232 Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

jdg,

You aren't off base. The FACT is that BD is a more difficult manufacturing process than DVD or HD DVD. The cycle times are a lot slower due to the physics of the process and the yields are still lower at this point. I'm sure the yields will improve, but the cycle times will only improve so much. Also, you are looking at millions of dollars of infrastructure to get in the game of BD50 production. More will come on line in the coming year, but only the big boys (Cinram and Sony DADC) will be making the majority of the BD50 discs in the coming months, just like in 2007.

Dave, Thank you.

Does anyone have any comparative data as far as yields and capacities for DVD in 1998-ish wrt VHS duplication capacities? I read recently that DVD has about a 2x lead on HDM at the same point in it's lifecycle, but I'm wondering if the DVD process was simply faster than the VHS process since the media types were so much different?

IOW: Because they were different, could a DVD line -- even with lower yields at that point if its cycle -- produce more or less the same amount of discs as a VHS duplication line? and which took up more space?

Clearly overall capacity for VHS was higher, I'm just trying to compare line to line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page