Cinram to add 15 more Blu-ray lines to Olyphant PA production facility - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 232 Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

CE vendors are planning for exactly this. There is usually a "Father's Day" uptick in CE sales in June, they will hit that one too.

The post-Superbowl until Father's Day period is always very slow in CE. It is very fortunate that the format war was resolved in Jan-Feb, allowing Blu-ray that this period will be used for building things up: replication, new HW, getting new titles going.

I am seeing every sign that B&M stores like BB and CC are really planning to push Blu-ray. The largest BB in my area now has a huge row of Blu-ray disks directly facing its video area, with Blu-ray players in end-caps right across from the disks.

B&M's are not keen on the idea of downloads overtaking the packaged good market. They are preparing to really push Blu-ray this summer and then in the Fall/Winter.

bit OT , but thought I would share this as it may encourage more replication investment. (says the man desperately trying to tie this into the thread.

Just came back from trip and I visited multiple Circuit City's and Best Buys out of my local market, while I was out of town.

All of them said the $399 Sony's BD players and PS3s took off in sales the last 3 weeks. March sales are really strong.

Actually far better than I expected, especially at that price point.

Two Circuit City's said they had over 12 Sony players sold in last two weeks and they were getting short on inventory.

They sold a lot of HDTVs for March madness college basketball period and the get 3 Blu-ray movies when you buy a HDTV bundle promo package encouraged a few people to get a Sony or Samsung Blu-ray player.

Two Circuit City's looked had new display showing a PS3 demo Blu-ray and one showing the BDA's new Experience Blu Blu-ray demo on big 1080p HDTVs right at the store entrances.

Sales people all were excited about Blu-ray although most admitted the PS3 was the best option for the moment. But a few said some people were buying the$399 Sony instead even when told the PS3 was better.

The NPD numbers for March should be interesting.

If they are anywhere near what that anecdotal experience I just had, I'm sure we will here about it from the BDA or from the trade magazines.

I was surprised by how well virtually everyone said the Sony and Samsung players were selling even at $399 since the format war ended.

Thats a very good sign.

I've always said hardware sales is the most important indicator and software sales will eventually catch up and area lagging indicator.

If $399 players are selling thats a lot of people that were holding back jumping off the fence since the format war ended.

If there is favorable NPD March numbers that will even encourage retailers an CE manufacturers even more.

That would be great news.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 232 Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=12404

Quote:

Replicators Are Experiencing Growing Pains in Going Blu

Small and mid-sized disc replicators were rooting hard for HD DVD.

A quick adjustment to existing DVD replication lines was all it took to pump out HD DVDs, while Blu-ray Disc requires all-new equipment.

Now that Blu-ray has won, manufacturers are left with the daunting question of whether or not to invest in new production lines for Blu-ray right away.

“We were all pulling for HD DVD to win, for obvious reasons,” said Steve Sheldon, president of replicator Rainbo Records. “It didn’t work out that way.”

Now that there’s only one high-def choice, and studios such as Universal Studios and Paramount are expected to add their movies on Blu-ray, some fear the load may be too much too quick for existing production lines.

“By the time we get into the fourth quarter of this year, there will be a problem with capacity,” Jim Bottoms, co-managing director of research firm Understanding & Solutions, said earlier this month. U&S estimates an investment of $250 million and 80 new Blu-ray production lines will be needed in the next two years to meet demand. That’s what it’ll take to meet the demand of not only Blu-ray movies, but also games for the PlayStation 3.

Workers at Sony DADC have been swamped since August, Michael Mitchell, CTO and EVP of Sony DADC said this month. More than 115 million total Blu-ray Discs have been made by Sony DADC’s production lines, he said, 80% of which are 50GB. He added that Sony DADC is also offering more authoring support to independents.

With AACS encryption, mastering, authoring and compression, replication and packaging, the costs pile up quickly to make a Blu-ray, replicators emphasized, and can be especially risky for independents.

“The biggest concern from an indie standpoint was the initial investment, as it is a very expensive process,” said Tony Perez, president of Phoenix Entertainment Group, which just this month announced its first two Blu-ray titles. “Obviously we are not a major label.”

More than one manufacturer put the cost to content owners at $4 to $5 per disc for a “small” run of 25,000 discs. That’s compared to less than $1 each for the same amount of DVDs.

The costs for manufacturers to install Blu-ray lines can be just as daunting. One replicator, who asked to remain anonymous, pegging the figure for a 50GB BD line at nearly $2.7 million and a 25GB BD line at between $1.5 million and $1.7 million.

“The cost of the equipment seems almost prohibitive for small to mid-size replicators,” said Paula Tait, EVP of sales and marketing for Precise/Full Service Media, which does replication, packaging and distribution. “The question is how quickly will other manufacturers start offering Blu-ray?”

Sheldon said another concern facing replicators about Blu-ray is yield, how many usable discs actually come out of the production lines. Early on, he said, only half of the discs from Blu-ray production lines were coming out correctly. It’s about 75% now, he speculated.

“Blu-ray is not easy to make,” he said.

But Ed Virgie, president of Media Services Group, which sells replication equipment and helps with replication plant set-up, said DVDs weren’t easy to make at first either.

“The same yield issue existed when we went from DVD-5s to DVD-9s,” he said. “As you perfected it, perfected the equipment, the yield got better. It can take years to get yield up into the 90s (percentage), but it will happen with Blu-ray.”

Yet another issue is the onset of electronic delivery of content, and the decline in physical media.

“The issue here now is the market for physical media is declining, and the life-span for a format is declining,” Tait said.

VHS launched in the late 1970s, and wasn’t overtaken by DVD in terms of sales until 2003. DVD launched in 1997 and less than a decade later, Blu-ray hit the scene.

Tait added that capacity at existing Blu-ray production lines may be full for the next year and a half, even with reported plans by Sony DADC, Cinram and Technicolor — the three major Blu-ray Disc manufacturers — adding dozens of new lines in the coming years.

But more demand than capacity can be construed as good news for the Blu-ray format, replicators said, an issue that will work itself out, if history has anything to say about it.

“I think it’s a market force issue,” said Andy Parsons, SVP of product planning for the home entertainment group at Pioneer Electronics and marketing director of the Blu-ray Disc Association. “If you have capacity and demand in imbalance, the market responds. This happened with every new format that’s shipped, back to laserdisc and CD.”

Tait remembers back to the launch of DVD.

“It was just WAMO and Nimbus (later bought by Technicolor) that invested in the lines,” he said. Now that there is a winner, more companies on the manufacturing side of home entertainment are testing the waters.

“We studied it for a year before we got into it,” said Troy Burlage, VP of sales for authoring and compression house Post Modern Group. “I think this will be a breakout year for Blu-ray.”

“Now that we don’t have a format war, it’s clear what needs to be adopted,” Parsons said.

But Sheldon said companies such as his will have to wait for now.

“No one knew which format would win out, and we couldn’t afford to play around with either,” Sheldon said. “I imagine the bigger guys are ramping up, but for now, for the smaller guys like us, getting into it is out of reach.”

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #213 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

By the time we get into the fourth quarter of this year, there will be a problem with capacity,” Jim Bottoms, co-managing director of research firm Understanding & Solutions, said earlier this month. .

So Jim is now saying there will be a BD50 shortage this fall
Quote:

U&S estimates an investment of $250 million and 80 new Blu-ray production lines will be needed in the next two years to meet demand. That’s what it’ll take to meet the demand of not only Blu-ray movies, but also games for the PlayStation 3

Cinram and Sony DADC are adding maybe a third of that shortfall this year.
Quote:

More than 115 million total Blu-ray Discs have been made by Sony DADC’s production lines, he said, 80% of which are 50GB

Thats a new number. That's higher than I thought Sony DADC had in BD50 capable lines. Actually it probably mans they have less excess BD25 capability than I thought.
Quote:

More than one manufacturer put the cost to content owners at $4 to $5 per disc for a “small” run of 25,000 discs. That’s compared to less than $1 each for the same amount of DVDs

Thats a new confirming number. Kinda links in with a $3 subsidy that Sony or the BDA was supposedly paying for Blu-ray replication at Cinram.
Quote:

The costs for manufacturers to install Blu-ray lines can be just as daunting. One replicator, who asked to remain anonymous, pegging the figure for a 50GB BD line at nearly $2.7 million and a 25GB BD line at between $1.5 million and $1.7 million.

Thats a substantial difference between a BD25 and BD50 line cost. May actually make sense to buy the cheaper line. Makes it a more difficult business decision. especially if a BD25 can be delivered sooner.
Quote:

Early on, he said, only half of the discs from Blu-ray production lines were coming out correctly. It’s about 75% now, he speculated.

Yep 50% BD yields last year. Now maybe 75% yields..
Quote:

Tait added that capacity at existing Blu-ray production lines may be full for the next year and a half, even with reported plans by Sony DADC, Cinram and Technicolor — the three major Blu-ray Disc manufacturers — adding dozens of new lines in the coming years.

Confirms Technicolor is going to be a player and has ordered new lines too.
Quote:

Tait added that capacity at existing Blu-ray production lines may be full for the next year and a half,

BD50 will be at a premium until the fall of 2009
Quote:

No ****. Kinda says it all.

follow me on Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What does the above imply Kosty ? Can you post your thoughts and comments in layman terms ?

Blu-ray : 340
post #215 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

My take:

There will probably be enough BD50 capacity for most major DVD new day and date new releases from all of the studios to have a Blu-ray release near the time of a DVD release. That will soon include Universal and Paramount and Dreamworks.

Existing Blu-ray studios will probably continue at the same or better pace they did last year. They will have priority at Sony DADC and Cinram. Expect 200 or more new BD titles by the fall.

Universal may have a problem in porting over all its HD DVD exclusive titles to Blu-ray until 2009. If you want them in HD, you may want to consider to buy them cheap now on HD DVD because you may have to wait until the Blu-ray release until 2009.

Some catalog titles will come out on BD25s, but Sony DADC and Cinram will have most of their capability dual BD25 and BD50 capable so BD50s will probably become the norm faster than expected.

Expect a lot of this capability to be used to repress existing titles and make sure there is enough inventory at retail.

Some spot shortages may exit at B&M locations this year but Amazon etc. should probably have enough inventory for us geeks.

follow me on Twitter
post #216 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting your thoughts and let's hope that 2009 will be a true BLU year.

post #217 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

In other news, freaking Coyote Ugly is a BD50.

In a very bizzare way, that is good news.

I thought the article that mentioned that 80% of Sony DADC's Terre Haute , IN lines are BD50 capable was the most significant piece of information on this subject in a while.

Quote:
More than 115 million total Blu-ray Discs have been made by Sony DADC’s production lines, he said, 80% of which are 50GB. He added that Sony DADC is also offering more authoring support to independents.

With AACS encryption, mastering, authoring and compression, replication and packaging, the costs pile up quickly to make a Blu-ray, replicators emphasized, and can be especially risky for independents

Quote:
What a waste of a BD50!

If it signals a default shift to BD50s because their costs are nearing BD25 levels, that is good news. No one uses DVD 5s anymore because DVD9s are about same cost, so its things like that that may be leading indicators here.

Only funky thing in that HMM article about small retailers was the increased cost to buy BD50 to a BD25 line. I would hope most would opt for the B50 line even if it cost more. Would not bother me at all if BD50s became the default industry choice.

Quote:
More than one manufacturer put the cost to content owners at $4 to $5 per disc for a “small” run of 25,000 discs. That’s compared to less than $1 each for the same amount of DVDs.

“The cost of the equipment seems almost prohibitive for small to mid-size replicators,
” said Paula Tait, EVP of sales and marketing for Precise/Full Service Media, which does replication, packaging and distribution. “The question is how quickly will other manufacturers start offering Blu-ray?”

Sheldon said another concern facing replicators about Blu-ray is yield, how many usable discs actually come out of the production lines. Early on, he said, only half of the discs from Blu-ray production lines were coming out correctly. It’s about 75% now, he speculated.

follow me on Twitter
post #218 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just a small note on the fact that Singulus just can't build these things overnight.

Couple articles from mid Feb on their planned orders.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/18/sin...markets07.html

Quote:

Singulus had planned to ship 15 of it Blu-ray machines in 2008, but speaking to Euro am Sonntag Chief Executive Stefan Baustert Monday said the chance had "significantly increased" that they would deliver more.

Baustert added that the company would probably get two-thirds of the global market for Blu-ray machine production this year. Its main competitors in this arena have been Sony--which produces discs exclusively for its own movie studio--and OC Oerlikon of Switzerland, which Singulus bought last week for an undisclosed sum.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...31335620080202

Quote:

"The probability of us delivering more Blu-ray machines 2008 than the 15 originally planned has clearly increased," Blaustert told German weekly Euro am Sonntag in an interview to be published on Sunday.

"I expect to book the first orders in this quarter," he added in the report, details of which were released on Saturday.

Singulus said last month it was upbeat about demand for its Blu-ray high definition video replication machines this year after Warner Bros announced it would use Blu-ray for new titles starting in May.

Blaustert said Singulus was now able to produce more machines after it bought the Blu-ray business of Switzerland's Oerlikon this week.

follow me on Twitter
post #219 of 232 Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/CorporateN...-ray+and+Solar

SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES - consolidated key figures IFRS
Code:
                                                   2005     2006     2007
Sales (gross)                      in mn. EUR     244.4    283.1    229.5
Order intake                       in mn. EUR     248.7    319.0    203.8

Order backlog as of Dec. 31        in mn. EUR     60.9     81.5     55.8

EBIT                               in mn. EUR     2.1      4.0      1.1EBT                                in mn. EUR     3.3      4.3      1.6

Net profit                         in mn. EUR     7.3      11.1     3.0
Earnings per share                 EUR            0.21     0.35     0.05
Employees as of Dec. 31                            636      796      764
SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES AG, Hanauer Landstraße 103,

229 Million EUR gross sales for all of their CD DVD Blu-ray machines doesn't show a lot of surge capacity

follow me on Twitter
post #220 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6547468.html

fyi video of a test lab Blu-ray BD25 machine in action.

Its using a different type of molding machine thats been adopted for their lab use, but it shows some neat internal shots of the coating process.

http://www.designnews.com/info/CA652...tid=1478199258

follow me on Twitter
post #221 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kosty, Do you think after 3 years from now BD25 will be eradicated ?

post #222 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Why since there will always be a need for a less than 25GB disc? Most video games and films under about 100 minutes can't use/don't need a BD50 so why not just use a BD25? I'm sure large capital investment equipment like replicators must be amortized for at lest 5 years and probably up to 10.
post #223 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I meant for movies.

post #224 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

I meant for movies.

There ARE lots of movies that run less than a 100 minutes. They can be way less than 25GB with lossless audio and high bit rate video encodes including extras.
post #225 of 232 Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Depends if there is a significant cost or production capacity time advantage to using BD25s instead of BD50s that outweighs the advantages of standardizing on BD50s.

We know at least in the short term BD25 only lines can cost less, their are some BD25 only lines now running and BD25 is good enough for many applications.

But it can get cheap enough , BD50s could become the default standard like using dual layer DVD9's instead of single layer DVD5s. Everyone just uses DVD9's as the cost difference is negligible and plenty of DVD9 capacity exists.

Since Sony DADC upgraded most of its lines to BD50 capability and most new orders probably will be the more flexible BD50 capable machines, its possible BD50 could become the default as well, especially for major studios and more prominent releases.

But 2008 still is a year of replication capacity infrastructure growing pains for Blu-ray.

follow me on Twitter
post #226 of 232 Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 AM

Liked: 10
Hi!
I have found this Thread a few days ago and i have found some very interesting Postings. So far some people are really insiders and maybe can help me to answer some questions!

1.) What has happend with the Marubeni Blu-ray Line in Olyphant ? Why does nobody know anything from this Line ?

2.) Singulus has til now not confirmed a big order for Blu-ray so who has got this order from Cinram ??

3.)
@ Kosty: You really like Singulus, but Singulus is not alone!! Singulus has also no Bottleneck for production!! They can really fast increase there production because of Timeworkers, and because of Orders from prebuild Replicationlines from other Supplier Companies.!! Singulus was with Unaxis (now Oerlikon) an expert for Metallizers for optical datastorage. Now everybody build there one Metallizer for there own Machine !! Singulus has not so much Know-how in Sputtering like Oerlikon, you can see it on the result with the Sunline for Rewriteable optical datastorage (only a few machines are sold ). Oerlikon is the leader in this segment !! Thats why they have bougth Oerlikon !!
Singulus has catched a group of Engineers which are "Brainies" from Unaxis which where working in the neighborhood which where working in the Thin film Head segment for Harddisk, which since a few Years working at the MRAM (magnetic datastorage ) project (Timaris)

Marubeni successfully set-up 50 GB Blu-ray ROM disc replication line

Irvine, California (May 15, 2007) - Marubeni Disc Systems, Inc. (MDS), the market and technology leader in the US Optical Disc manufacturing equipment market, proudly announces that the 50 GB Blu-ray disc replication line is now ready for mass production at Cinram's Olyphant, PA facility. Cinram International is one of the world's largest optical disc replicators.

Cinram has received a verification certificate for 50 GB BD-ROM disc from BDA verification laboratory in the beginning of April, 2007.

The 50 GB Blu-ray disc replication line, named AZUL, the world's first commercially available line for 50 GB Blu-ray disc, is manufactured by Origin Electric Co., Ltd. (ORIGIN). Plastic Stamper Embossing technique & Spin Coating processes used for the line were implemented from R & D collaboration with Matsu****a Electric Industries, Ltd. (Panasonic).

We are extremely proud to announce this fact, as it provides a first commercial 50 GB Blu-ray replication line in the market, says Mitsuyasu Matsubara, president of Marubeni Disc Systems, Inc.

Marubeni and Origin will continue working toward the improvement for the production efficiency of the line -- as leaders of the market.

[..]

Quelle: http://marubenidisc.com/Azul_files/P...e%20051507.pdf

Sony DADC more than doubling its BD capacity

Salzburg, 25 January 2008 - In the course of 2008, Sony DADC will expand its Blu-ray Disc (BD) production and achieve a yearly production capacity of 200m units worldwide. For its Austrian sites, Sony DADC will be recruiting at least 100 additional employees. The investments are fuelled by Warner Bros. Entertainment's decision to release High Definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray Disc format.
[..]

Double capacity and more than 100 new employees

"In response to this strong demand, we are expanding both our Salzburg facilities - Anif and Thalgau - within the coming months. Our team will be expanded by 100 highly qualified and motivated people" Dieter Daum says. "In 2008, Sony DADC will be doubling its BD capacity, achieving a yearly production capacity of 200m units worldwide."
[..]

Quelle:
http://www.sonydadc.at

Analysten Treffen bei Singulus .......
135. 30 Produktionslinien für Blu-ray von SonyDADC
01.12.06 16:22

[..] Throughout the remainder of 2006, Sony DADC will continue to add equipment on a global basis, and will reach a capacity of 5 million units per month for the US and 2.5 million units per month for both Japan and Europe. This will be accomplished with a total of 30 replication lines. [..]

Quelle: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-1...cle-14865.html

HD DVD Backlash?

Thursday, 03 April 2008
While articles declaring the end of a high definition format war are everywhere, some companies are shocked and maybe even wondering if there will be a backlash, particularly in Europe. Cyrus Tehrani, president, Prestige Optical Mastering Services is one of those people. [..]

"What we're hearing from replicators is they are having issues with the on the downstream, the bonding, for example. HD has been running at an 80-85% yield. We hearing that with Blu-ray they're lucky to be coming up with a 55% rate," Tehrani adds. "The end of the war is being declared by the people backing the format, not the people working with it. What businessman paying premium dollar for polycarbonate is ready to throw away 50% of his profit. It just doesn't make sense."

To Tehrani, Blu-ray is a great archival medium, but for home users HD DVD would make better sense.

Quelle: www.oto-online.com

"Currently, SonyDADC has market share in Blu-ray manufacturing in excess of 90%
To ensure the long-term growth of the Blu-ray format and to meet the increasing market demand, etablishing a broad replication base is important
We expect that the industry investment in Blu-ray will halve our market share

SonyDADC is committed to continue to support the replication industry in building up Blu-ray capabilities " Page 8, Sony DADC, Dieter Daum , CEO

Quelle: http://www.singulus.de/fileadmin/med...m_SonyDADC.pdf

InfoSmart brings BD production to China

Wednesday, 02 April 2008
InfoSmart a leading DVDR manufacturer in Hong Kong and Brazil, has announced its purchase of a $1.4 million Smart BD replication system from Anwell Technologies. The BD system will be installed in InfoSmart's Hong Kong plant, making it the first such Line in commercial use in China and Hong Kong
[..]

[..]
The Anwell Smart BD system is capable of producing 500,000 units per month once 100% operational, and InfoSmart anticipates a start-up manufacturing date by the end of June.
[..]

Quelle: http://oto-online.com/index.php?opti...d=861&Itemid=1

Blu-ray Line Producers:

SonyDADC:
340. Sony DADC produces 10 millionth 50 Gigabyte Bluray
135. 30 Produktionslinien für Blu-ray von SonyDADC

Oerlikon:

http://www.oerlikon.com/ecomaXL/inde...TEMS_EN_indigo
http://www.oerlikon.com/bdsummit/

Anwell:
354. Anwell Bluray Anlage - Marktführer Recordable
http://www.anwell.com/eng/news/image...o_20071116.pdf

Marubeni:
347. Marubeni successfully set-up 50GB BD-Rom Line AZUL
http://www.marubenidisc.com/Azul_fil...e%20051507.pdf

Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation;
292. Neues von der Media-Tech EXPO 07
Möbius system from Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation
http://oto-online.com/index.php?opti...=414&Itemid=83

Vdl-Odms:
255. Blueray + HD-DVD = VMD Versatile Multilayer Disc
http://www.nmeinc.com/technology_vmdproductionline.aspx
http://www.vdl-odms.com/

M2:
http://www.m2.se/content?contentUrl=...ocument%2F2051

SeeYa
DieWahrheit
post #227 of 232 Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Some OT information from a replication industry trade journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

From One to One online (April 2008, page 28)...

One format, many challenges

Quote:

Cedric Collard, group marketing manager, DaTARIUS Technologies, agrees: "The market needs a new format and a clear direction to return to strong growth". Collard adds that the major concern for 2008 is how quickly producers can react and get a good quality BD50 line into the market. This could slow down growth this year. "The demand for BD50 discs is greater than the installed manufacturing capacity at present," he notes, "Quality of finished BD50 discs is, and will remain, a key issue for the success of the BD HD format. This product is very challenging to make and it is unlikely this will become a stable and mature manufacturing process for at least the next two to three years".

follow me on Twitter
post #228 of 232 Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

^^^ Lots of good info in that entire digital magazine for those interested in this subject.

follow me on Twitter
post #229 of 232 Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was just wondering if you have an update on this for us Kosty?
post #230 of 232 Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 3975
I thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone's knowledgable about the current state of major audio and video disc production facilities around the world.

Some companies have understandably fallen by the wayside since 2008. Singulus, DaTarius, and Sony DADC seem to be going strong still.

Chain process/logistics info would be appreciated. As would any guess about when this industry might be up to speed, feeding our insatiable need for movie discs once more.

Cheers. Stay safe.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #231 of 232 Old 04-29-2020, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 663
It's not insatiable. Revenue from physical sales dropped 50% over the past 5 years. A lot of tv seasons are now DVD only, and so engines finding the Blu-Ray is impossible because it never crosses the border - I can get it DVD, but not on Blu-Ray. I've had to import it from the US. Of course, much harder now that amazon doesn't export to Canada because they're overloaded.

I think I read somewhere that the studios are forming a joint venture for disc production as worldwide demand is just big enough to justify making a disc.

Streaming is killing the disc. I suspect when it's all said and done, if we're lucky, discs will be niche - be ready to pay $50-200 for a release to get superior sound and video. Current events would have made it such that the mass market not only sees streaming as viable, but the wave of the future and killing disc sales even more - who goes to a store or deals with physical things when you can buy and watch the movie right there and then. (And yes, I love buying discs for many reasons)
post #232 of 232 Old 04-30-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
It's not insatiable. Revenue from physical sales dropped 50% over the past 5 years. A lot of tv seasons are now DVD only, and so engines finding the Blu-Ray is impossible because it never crosses the border - I can get it DVD, but not on Blu-Ray. I've had to import it from the US. Of course, much harder now that amazon doesn't export to Canada because they're overloaded.

I think I read somewhere that the studios are forming a joint venture for disc production as worldwide demand is just big enough to justify making a disc.

Streaming is killing the disc. I suspect when it's all said and done, if we're lucky, discs will be niche - be ready to pay $50-200 for a release to get superior sound and video. Current events would have made it such that the mass market not only sees streaming as viable, but the wave of the future and killing disc sales even more - who goes to a store or deals with physical things when you can buy and watch the movie right there and then. (And yes, I love buying discs for many reasons)
Thanks. JV with Warner Bros. and Universal was announced in January 2020.

Variety:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...nt-1203467934/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page