Seven Years ago HD DVD Landed.... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #31 of 154 Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well its been another year as this month marks 8 years since HD DVD hit the ground running.

I cannot believe how fast time is going. We are going to be old men (and women) at this rate.biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 154 Old 05-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

I cannot believe how fast time is going. We are going to be old men (and women) at this rate.biggrin.gif

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Macroblocker likes this.
post #33 of 154 Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was so sure HD would win the format war.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 154 Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by disalex View Post
I was so sure HD would win the format war.....
I bought into both, but kinda regret it now that I have all these Warner discs that don't work!

But I'm covered with 3 Toshiba HD-XA2 players! 2 are boxed up in reserve in case the primary fails.

Though I doubt it will as they're built like tanks!
post #35 of 154 Old 10-05-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
I bought into both, but kinda regret it now that I have all these Warner discs that don't work!

But I'm covered with 3 Toshiba HD-XA2 players! 2 are boxed up in reserve in case the primary fails.

Though I doubt it will as they're built like tanks!
My very first HD title was John Carpenters The Thing, but I awited to buy second generation hardware, aka HD-A2's.
I also bought a BD player the Sammy 1500 so was format agnostic, but with a preference for HD-DVD.
I still have 2 HD-A2's, and HD-A20, and 2 HD-XA2's and a ton of discs.......

BTW-I also have several D-Theater DVHS decks and round bout 100 D-Theater titles! So yes, I collect dead formats.
post #36 of 154 Old 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I always love to see the demise of certain technologies. I'm fascinated by the VHS, Betamax wars, the Casette/8track, CD/digital/casette. Old formats die off for a reason. Sometimes the other format should have won, because it had far superior technology. With every advantage, comes an almost equal annoyance or disadvantage with those medias. Darwinism chooses the next media format.
post #37 of 154 Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was having this discussion with my wife yesterday (she's a few years younger than I - 28 vs 33) and she didn't even know there WAS an HD-DVD....

What caused it to lose out in the end? Admittingly I waited and kept on with DVDs until Blu-ray nailed the coffin shut...
biotron2000 likes this.
post #38 of 154 Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinn View Post
I was having this discussion with my wife yesterday (she's a few years younger than I - 28 vs 33) and she didn't even know there WAS an HD-DVD....

What caused it to lose out in the end? Admittingly I waited and kept on with DVDs until Blu-ray nailed the coffin shut...
Sony had more money than Toshiba.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #39 of 154 Old 10-11-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
Final nail in the coffin was the $500 million bribe Sony paid to Paramount to switch to Blu. Sony was also giving manufacturers a $3 credit per disc to manufacture BDs. That made the cost between HD-DVD and BD about equal but the fail rate for BD at the time was around 60% vs. 10-15% for HD-DVD. Cycle times for BD-25 was around 4.5 seconds and 6 seconds for BD-50 vs 2.0 to 2.5 seconds for HD-DVD. The disc lines the manufacturer used for HD-DVD only required a $25,000 coating/curing station upgrade to convert them from DVD to HD-DVD production but BD required new lines costing about $2 million each to make BD.
I'm sorry but I can't believe this post went unnoticed.Where is your sources? And the rumor was actually the BDA bribing Warner, which is still a rumor without any sources. The fact you used "Sony", I sense bias and prejudice in your post.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), JTR Captivator 1400 (2), Rythmik FV15HP (2)
post #40 of 154 Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
I'm sorry but I can't believe this post went unnoticed.Where is your sources? And the rumor was actually the BDA bribing Warner, which is still a rumor without any sources. The fact you used "Sony", I sense bias and prejudice in your post.
I cannot imagine why anyone wants to dredge all this up at this late date.
It's over. Blu-Ray won. But it never managed to displace DVD, so Toshiba is collecting all their money for every player manufactured and every title that includes a DVD copy.
Blu-ray needs to worry about how long ANY optical media based distribution product/system will last in the coming years . . .
barrelbelly and RonAlam like this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #41 of 154 Old 10-23-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I joined here because of the HD format wars. I backed HD DVD hard, had 70 movies at one point. WB did the trade-in deal to make things easier to convert. From everything I read, HD DVD was cheaper and easier to work with (as in creating menus, etc.)

Only thing I liked about blu-ray more was it has that scratch-resistant coating. Which if it wasn't there, any significant scratch would render the disc inoperable. HD DVD had history on it's side. It was the "people's format" - it was VCR and blu-ray was BetaMax.

Oh well. Streaming is now the future, as long as the telecoms get out of the way.
post #42 of 154 Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I bought my XA-1 when it was 450.00 and thought I got a great deal. I recall all the issues BLURAY had with their lousy looking PQ when it first came out (The Fifth Element anyone). So I thought I made a great choice (thought the same thing in the early 80's with my Betamax). I still currently have an A2 in my master system, an A3 in my master bedroom and about 75 movies collecting dust. Luckily I've been able to convert all those movies to VUDU HDX for 2.00 each without having to buy the Blurays at full price again. I still have a new in box A2 in my closet as back up I had another but gave to my mom as a gift and gave my XA-1 to my twin sister when she upgraded to HD. Now they all are linked to my ultraviolet account so all our players just collect dust. It's a shame because some titles (The Thing) still look better thanBluray.
post #43 of 154 Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I did the same with VUDU, as well as, prior to VUDU I ripped all my HD-DVD's to my NAS to stream. I have one of those LG HD-DVD / Blu Ray Rom drives that I bought at the time. I still have a Onkyo 805, Toshiba XA2, A1, and A3 in storage ( Onkyo is the only still in my rack ). I have approximately a 120 discs. I only noticed 1 disc that stopped playing ( Warner title).
post #44 of 154 Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
dug out my XA-2 to watch some HD DVDS while my OPPO 105 gets fixed. It lasted for one movie and crapped out. Oh well, guess I can use my HD A1 if I have to...
post #45 of 154 Old 10-28-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Still rolling with my Samsung BD-UP5000 in the main room, Toshiba HD-A3 in the master bedroom, and LG GGC-H20L in my HTPC. I wish HD would have won the war. To me, it had the superior picture and audio at the time. At least I got to buy great movies for $3.00 a piece. I have well over 100 of them still.

It used to be wine, women, and song. Now it's beer, the wife, and TV.
post #46 of 154 Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Sony had more money than Toshiba.

The only reason why it won is because of
the PS3.

if the xbox had it for free (built in)

Microsoft got too greedy and KILLED HD-DVD

they might still be at war if the xbox had it for free.

Most people like me had gotten their first DVD player when they bought a PS2

same with PS3 blu-ray player..

There was a heated debate in a computer class I was taking about the format wars 7 years ago...
post #47 of 154 Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I always thought the wrong format won. I remember going into b.b. noticing HD-DVD prices really close in price with DVD. Blu-ray was really pricey. When HD-DVD had a movie release coming out it was available on the date in question. Blu-ray maybe 4 to 7 days before it was available. I always feared that if Blu-ray won it would be a boutique format. Because it was so expensive and DVD was not. And they would end up coexisting next to each other. And who knows how long that would last before DVD would go under if ever. If HD-DVD won DVD would not have lasted for very long. It might have persuaded the cable satellite Company's to stop creating standard def channels and go HD across the board as well. The reason why I say that is if there's no physical DVD's around anymore just HD Discs they might be more willing to go that way. HD-DVD would have been a game changer. But of course that didn't happen DVD's are still around, cable and satellite are still creating standard def channels. Blu-ray might be the last physical media disc made. Streaming I think will replace disc down the road, it just seems like the writing is on the wall.
post #48 of 154 Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell789 View Post
I always thought the wrong format won. I remember going into b.b. noticing HD-DVD prices really close in price with DVD. Blu-ray was really pricey. When HD-DVD had a movie release coming out it was available on the date in question. Blu-ray maybe 4 to 7 days before it was available. I always feared that if Blu-ray won it would be a boutique format. Because it was so expensive and DVD was not. And they would end up coexisting next to each other. And who knows how long that would last before DVD would go under if ever. If HD-DVD won DVD would not have lasted for very long. It might have persuaded the cable satellite Company's to stop creating standard def channels and go HD across the board as well. The reason why I say that is if there's no physical DVD's around anymore just HD Discs they might be more willing to go that way. HD-DVD would have been a game changer. But of course that didn't happen DVD's are still around, cable and satellite are still creating standard def channels. Blu-ray might be the last physical media disc made. Streaming I think will replace disc down the road, it just seems like the writing is on the wall.
HD dvds had Hybrid discs with DVD and HD-dvd

DVD would have not been eliminated

this way once you get a hd dvd player you get a free upgrade to HD

They also had Blu-ray and hd-dvd disc Hybrid
post #49 of 154 Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 503
@punker_4_real who said:
"The only reason why it won is because of
the PS3.

if the xbox had it for free (built in)

Microsoft got too greedy and KILLED HD-DVD

they might still be at war if the xbox had it for free."

IMO that is/was the decisive death blow for HD-DVD. Sony was all in with PS3 and their studio properties. Microsoft was just a "dabbler". Playing all sides of the fence. Toshiba and the HD-DVD group...in hindsight...should have paid Microsoft to put HD-DVD as the primary drive in Xbox 360. That would have been a crushing blow to Sony and PS3. Who lost the early stages of the console war badly. At worse, the HD-DVD group should have paid Microsoft to make the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon drive capable and compatible with all of its Xbox 360 games. That would have encouraged game devs to make even better games for the Xbox 360. But sigh...they didn't. And the rest is history.
post #50 of 154 Old 11-29-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm going to keep my movies and Onkyo 805 until the cows come home. I still think, for some movies HD-DVD look better in than Blu-ray. i.e King Kong
bguzman likes this.

tony4k
post #51 of 154 Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Back in the days HD DVD against Blu-ray was all the rage.
...So much so that it shut down AVS! Do you remember that?
It was so intense that all the other main sites followed suit, even Blu-ray forum and High-Def Digest.

Today, eight years later I still have 400 of those red HD DVD movies. ...But none of them in 3D.
bguzman and hernanu like this.
post #52 of 154 Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
i'm going to keep my movies and onkyo 805 until the cows come home. I still think, for some movies hd-dvd look better in than blu-ray. I.e king kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsky View Post
today, eight years later i still have 400 of those red hd dvd movies. ...but none of them in 3d.
+100

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #53 of 154 Old 12-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 99
i still have the first HD DVD player in entertainment center, i have 20 movies, never upgraded those movies to BD, Bourne trilogy, King Kong, Transformers and many, we still enjoy HD DVD, player is built like tank, PQ is awesome and close to Oppo. Wrong format won, but it is history now, i bought the player considering it will be used as a excellent CD player in case format would loose, and it is top quality as CD player. the HD A2 circuit City gave me credit towards a BD player purchase but i never traded HD A1.
post #54 of 154 Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
i still have the first HD DVD player in entertainment center, i have 20 movies, never upgraded those movies to BD, Bourne trilogy, King Kong, Transformers and many, we still enjoy HD DVD, player is built like tank, PQ is awesome and close to Oppo. Wrong format won, but it is history now, i bought the player considering it will be used as a excellent CD player in case format would loose, and it is top quality as CD player. the HD A2 circuit City gave me credit towards a BD player purchase but i never traded HD A1.
What a solid tank it is! ...I have the same. ...Nowadays they don't build them BD players like that no more (2.1 pounds average versus 16-20 pounds).
Only the affordable Oppo players weight 11 and 17 pounds. Below that you get cheap plastic, and feather light weight; two-three pounds. ...That's why they only cost $50-200 on average.

* Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 = 1080i only.
...And most HD DVD discs = DD+ only (5.1).

They are still stuck in the distant past. ...Never have the chance to prosper, to get firmware updates for like 1080p high-def picture.

♦ Best HD DVD player = Toshiba HD-XA2 (1080p). ...The HD-XA1's replacement. ...Then the HD-A30.

<<<>>> Now we have Universal Oppos; with 3D, but no HD DVD.

As for Dolby Atmos, that's another new story; Sony seems to be more updated (their older BD players sync better with the new Dolby Atmos receivers than the older Oppo BD players). But Sony doesn't do HD DVD either.

Yeah, some of us have been following all the developments, all the misery, all the victories, from 2006 to now @ the threshold of 2015 (almost nine years). ...What a journey! ...With HDMI and copy protection and HDCP and CEC and BD Live and all the firmware updates and versions of HDMI and all the streaming and 3D and 4K and all that picture Darbee sound Atmos jazz. ,,,Ouf! ...And there is no stopping, and there is nothing perfect, and we still try to correct new and older issues.

In general it is smooth sailing though; if you truly want to keep up with the latest, and still have money in your bank account (the markets are a bumpy ride @ times).

Speaking of Toshiba; do they make BD players?
post #55 of 154 Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Still have disc and player in use also.
post #56 of 154 Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

Speaking of Toshiba; do they make BD players?
They do, plus they're still offering those ultra-expensive($2000 USD)BD recorder in their home market too.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/XBR55X900E
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F
post #57 of 154 Old 12-26-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I have a Samsung BD-UP5000 Dual Blu/HD DVD player that I still have in my equipment rack. The truly funny thing is that HD DVD's play perfectly fine in it to this very day. The Blu-ray section of it died long ago!
post #58 of 154 Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I still have my Toshiba XA-2 and a bunch of movies for it. It still works flawlessly. My Oppo has some glitches that I can't figure out but is still works fine. I still believe HD-DVD was the better choice.
post #59 of 154 Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I still believe HD-DVD was the better choice.
I hope you still enjoy it, BD is clearly better in every way.

Microsoft and Toshiba are now fully behind BD, which is a great thing.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/XBR55X900E
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F
post #60 of 154 Old 12-27-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post
I hope you still enjoy it, BD is clearly better in every way.

Microsoft and Toshiba are now fully behind BD, which is a great thing.
I do have both HD dvd and a Oppo BD player. I think saying BD is clearly better in every way is proof that the kool aid worked. I do still enjoy my HD dvd movies and contrary to some opinions they didn't explode when HD went away....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page