Xbox 360 as HD DVD Player: One and Only thread Here - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 4781 Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure if this has been asked before but when connecting the HD-DVD add on to a Pioneer plasma 1366 x 768p is there any benefit in connecting via the VGA cable, i.e. can it display native resolution? I am currently using component out via a VP30 video processor set to 720p for games and will probably use 1080i for movies so display will deinterlace and scale to 768p (I'm pretty sure it cannot accept 1080p). Is there an option for VGA 1366 x 768 output from the HD-DVD add on and can this be connected through the VP30 or will it have to be connected to the pioneer VGA PC input directly?

Thanks in advance for yor help.

Scott

P.S. I do not have the add-on yet but will receive in next 2 weeks when Japanese add-ons are released and will be connecting to my Asia Xbox 360. Just don't want to waste 60 bucks on the VGA cable if no benefit.

JVC DLA-N7 | Screen Research ClearPix 4K 130" 2.40 | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Crown DCi 8|300N | 7.2.4 JBL 708i(3)+705i(4); JBL Control 328C (Atmos); Subwoofer Syzygy SLF-870 x 2 | Ferco seating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 4781 Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith4321 View Post

Does anyone know a good way to calibrate with the hd-dvd player. None of the movies I've tried have any type of calibration. The THX calibration patterns were great on old Dvd's, does anyone know of anything similar for the hd-dvd. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...578336-6011238

post #2763 of 4781 Old 11-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott KL View Post

Not sure if this has been asked before but when connecting the HD-DVD add on to a Pioneer plasma 1366 x 768p is there any benefit in connecting via the VGA cable, i.e. can it display native resolution? I am currently using component out via a VP30 video processor set to 720p for games and will probably use 1080i for movies so display will deinterlace and scale to 768p (I'm pretty sure it cannot accept 1080p). Is there an option for VGA 1366 x 768 output from the HD-DVD add on and can this be connected through the VP30 or will it have to be connected to the pioneer VGA PC input directly?

Thanks in advance for yor help.

Scott

P.S. I do not have the add-on yet but will receive in next 2 weeks when Japanese add-ons are released and will be connecting to my Asia Xbox 360. Just don't want to waste 60 bucks on the VGA cable if no benefit.

Ymmv, but I plunked down the cash for the VGA cable and I'm not impressed at all. On my display (Sony KDF-E50A10) the VGA gave me washed out colors and soft edges. Mine is headed for eBay shortly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 4781 Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject View Post

Ymmv, but I plunked down the cash for the VGA cable and I'm not impressed at all. On my display (Sony KDF-E50A10) the VGA gave me washed out colors and soft edges. Mine is headed for eBay shortly!

The VGA input on the Sony A10 TV's really sucks, because they have VERY limited picture tweaking options. It was definitly designed soley for a PC input.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #2765 of 4781 Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 PM

It would be interesting to see how quickly Amir can get the Xbox developers to add better controls for the vga output. Cannot believe they will just leave it with this problem

John
post #2766 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 AM

just had my first issue with freezing. it was with the movie Accepted. in the middle of the film it would just freeze and I had to try and fast forward a little and then it played for a few seconds before another freeze. restarted the console and then it was fixed. has anyone else had this movie freeze on them. I have watched batman begins, the searchers, and corpse bride with no problems.
post #2767 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Batman Begins + TrueHD track = noticeable loss of audio sync.

Damn.

Try clearing your XBOX HD Cache ( look through this thread for the command) , I have BB and I have absolutely no dropped audiio or video stuttering in that movie at all, and the TrueHD Soundtrack even dornrezzed to 640KB sounds awesome.

TimT

"This is my BOOMSTICK!!!"
Ash, AOD
post #2768 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight2k4 View Post

May I ask, withouth HDMI or analog out, how are you getting TrueHD from the 360-HD ? That does not compute from my understand.

May this be the reason for your lip-sync issue ?

You guys have to start reading before posting. There have been many posts asked and answered about TrueHD and Dolby Digital +. While the XBOX 360 doesn't output the full uncompressed stream, it does downrez it to 640KB Dolby Digital.

I for one have had 0 problems with lipsynching with Batman Begins at TrueHD, but I'll double check tonight to confirm this.

You guys may have to clear your Hard Drive Cache on the XBOX360, check this thread for the exact button combo and procedure.

TimT

Ash, AOD
post #2769 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight2k4 View Post

But coverting via Dolby Digital is not True HD audio. The bitrate is reduced to allow for what the connection being used. Hence in my eyes some of the synch issues encountered.

The Toslink connection is not sufficient to carry such data. So it is not trueHD.

Because it's a lower bitrate, thats why you believe your getting lipsynch problems?

Please explain your reasoning. As for it not being TrueHD, it may not be TrueHD at the same bitrate as over HDMI, but it is still playing that soundtrack and I can confirm that it is superior over the Dolby Digital + track on Batman Begins.

I can also confirm that Dolby Digital +, while not as punchy with Bass, is clearer and has a superior soundfield overall when compared to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the original Batman Begins SD-DVD.

As far as I understand, anybody who is not using HDMI or analog to transport their audio to their receiver is getting the same type of downrezzing of the audio. In some cases it's downrezzed to a DTS Stream, in others a Dolby Digital.

So yes your right, for $200.00 you got amazing picture and sound, but just not as good as that $500+ player, or that $1000.00+ player. You should take it back immediately and DEMAND your money back.

TimT

Ash, AOD
post #2770 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_tringle View Post

Try clearing your XBOX HD Cache ( look through this thread for the command) , I have BB and I have absolutely no dropped audiio or video stuttering in that movie at all, and the TrueHD Soundtrack even dornrezzed to 640KB sounds awesome.

TimT

I cleared my HD cache before I even installed the drive. Also, I've had no audio or video stuttering in movies at all. Menus of certain titles seem a little slow, but actual movie playback is very smooth. However, while audio does not stutter, it lags. DD+ is an almost unnoticeable lag (but while it's slight, it's there). TrueHD on Batman Begins is most definitely laggy though, and I think anyone would be able to notice it.

Nonetheless I will try the HD cache purge thing again tonite. Thanks for the reminder - it can't hurt to try.

P.S. What TV do you have? Some TVs introduce video lag of their own. If a TV has a slight lag, then any audio lag would be much harder to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_tringle View Post

Because it's a lower bitrate, thats why you believe your getting lipsynch problems?

Nah. The theory that was put forward was that there was lag converting DD+ to DD, and even more lag converting TrueHD to DD. It's just a theory though, and one that may not make sense, considering that decoding of 16 Mbps 1080p24 VC-1 is probably a lot harder than transcoding 3 Mbps TrueHD I'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

just had my first issue with freezing. it was with the movie Accepted. in the middle of the film it would just freeze and I had to try and fast forward a little and then it played for a few seconds before another freeze. restarted the console and then it was fixed. has anyone else had this movie freeze on them. I have watched batman begins, the searchers, and corpse bride with no problems.

Clean the disc, and if that doesn't work, get the disc replaced.
post #2771 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 AM

audio sync problems with xbox 360 hd-dvd add-on

I noticed significant lip sync problems with "grand Prix" hd-dvd. To my eyes and ears the voices are delayed compared to video. It was so noticeable to me that i thought i was watching a dubbed foreign film. I can understand, however, how many would overlook it if they were not paying close attention. According to review of this hd-dvd at high-def digest website this movie has "dolby digital plus" soundtrack only. Their review makes no mention of audiosync problems, which makes me suspect that the 360 add-on is the culprit. Unfortunately, I do not possess a stand alone hd-dvd player to do a/b comparison. FWIW i am using official xbox 360 hd/av cable with optical into a yamaha receiver. sony 32" xbr1 lcd.
post #2772 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eps3 View Post

audio sync problems with xbox 360 hd-dvd add-on

I noticed significant lip sync problems with "grand Prix" hd-dvd. To my eyes and ears the voices are delayed compared to video. It was so noticeable to me that i thought i was watching a dubbed foreign film. I can understand, however, how many would overlook it if they were not paying close attention. According to review of this hd-dvd at high-def digest website this movie has "dolby digital plus" soundtrack only. Their review makes no mention of audiosync problems, which makes me suspect that the 360 add-on is the culprit. Unfortunately, I do not possess a stand alone hd-dvd player to do a/b comparison. FWIW i am using official xbox 360 hd/av cable with optical into a yamaha receiver. sony 32" xbr1 lcd.

Someone posted this a few days ago and I think it helped w/ the problem you are describing,
Quote:
8.1 How do I clear the Xbox 360's cache? - NEW
If you find games loading slower, it may be caused by cache fragementation. Some games (such as Oblivion) provide the ability to clear the cache when starting up the game. For those that don't you can use the method below, brought to AV Forums by mjpartyboy. Note that this method removes all software updates and cache files for all games, not just a specific title.

Go to the "System" section of the Xbox Dashboard
Select "Memory", and then press the A
Choose a the HDD or a memory unit but do not press A - press Y to view "Device Options" which shows two options, "Rename" and "Format".
Press X, X, LB, RB, X, X.
Once you do this a blade will pop up saying: "This will perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices. Do you want to continue?"
Choose yes to clear the cache and update files, or choose no to cancel

KEVIN - Sony KDL-46XBR2, Sony STR-DA5300ES, DTV HR20, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
post #2773 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Nox
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People with lip sync problems, try playing the movies with just stereo (red and white RCA) to see if the lip sync problem still exists.

And as BuGsArEtAsTy mentions, post what TV type you're running. If the newer sets have a video processing delay, the 360 may be geared towards matching it. The older CRT sets may be the only one with the lipsync problem.

Hopefully we can center on where the problem lies and who's going to be effected.

-David
post #2774 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 AM

I did notice a slight delay. I adjusted the delay setting on my receiver, now it's synchronized perfectly.
post #2775 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0527 View Post

I had to make a full confession

She wasn't upset. She actually thought it was a smart thing to do because had I waited until Christmas day to test it out, it would have been well past the return period at Circuit City and I would have had to ship it to Microsoft and wait 2-3 weeks to get a new one back.

Check your receipt. Starting in November, most stores have "extended return periods" where they will take stuff back up to December 31 or January 1, because of Christmas. I noticed it on a Best Buy receipt and Gamestop receipt.

But don't let you wife know that now!

Deezul

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2776 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did anyone have trouble getting Best Buy to match the $40 coupon from CC? The lady at checkout said that she couldn't do it.
post #2777 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaulfie View Post

I did notice a slight delay. I adjusted the delay setting on my receiver, now it's synchronized perfectly.

What was your previous delay setting, and what was your new delay setting?

Most of us seem to be having audio lag, which means that if you add a delay to the audio with your receiver, the problem would get worse.

Which TV do you have?
post #2778 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's a noobie question regarding the audio on the HD-DVD drive.
I have noticed that I really have to crank the audio up on my receiver to get it to where my normal listening volume is for standard dvd's. Also, when I turn it up, it is LOUD if I go back to playing a 360 game.

Is there any way to adjust the volume or output for the HD drive?
Normal listening for DVD's on my receiver is 12-15
Normal listenign for Xbox360 games is 10-12
On the HD DVD drive, I'm putting it up to 18-20.

At this volume, the sound quality, at least for me, is excellent, but it's just a little annoying to be adjusting the volume before going back in to the dashboard.

Thanks in advance.
Bill
post #2779 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

For this price, I may have to buy it, but a question..

The HDDVD and Blue Ray t est from Cyberlink shows my AMD Athalon 64 3500+ May be a bit too slow to read it. Has anyone tried this drive with that chip?

Also, I have a creative Xi-Fi card with a 5.1 THX certified system hooked up to it. Will I be g etting full sound quality out of all 5 speakers with this drive hooked up with just the USB cable?

Thanks

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

www.youtube.com/WPLJTV for 95.5 contests and concerts

www.youtube.com/NTV1978 for Geek stuff :)
post #2780 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:

I cleared my HD cache before I even installed the drive. Also, I've had no audio or video stuttering in movies at all. Menus of certain titles seem a little slow, but actual movie playback is very smooth. However, while audio does not stutter, it lags. DD+ is an almost unnoticeable lag (but while it's slight, it's there). TrueHD on Batman Begins is most definitely laggy though, and I think anyone would be able to notice it.

Nonetheless I will try the HD cache purge thing again tonite. Thanks for the reminder - it can't hurt to try.

P.S. What TV do you have? Some TVs introduce video lag of their own. If a TV has a slight lag, then any audio lag would be much harder to notice.

Bugs,

I have a Toshiba 50' Rear Projection CRT. I can't remember the model right off the top of my head, but I researched it quite a bit before comitting. It's the best I could afford and purchased it during last years Black Friday sale online via Best Buy. Usually I wouldn't buy a TV through them, but it was a great deal and had free delivery online, plus I wasn't going to be getting my hands on my 360 for at least 6 months due to shortages.

I am usually very, very good at detecting any lip synch issues. I generally get very distracted by them no matter how minute they are. I'm just that way about audio and video quality. Probably the reason I have the HD-DVD Addon.

So far I haven't noticed any audio lag at all, and I would hate to notice it now no matter how minute it is because it would be maddening to not be able to fix it.

I'll check it tonight and confirm if there is an issue with lip synch. BTW I use component video cables with the XBOX360, along with TosLink of course for the audio into a fairly recent Sony Receiver. I'll get the exact models later if it helps people determine if this is a real problem. I'd hate for it to be true, I really hope the HD-DVD Addon is well received and works well for most people.

I really would hate for Blue Ray be the one thing Sony wins a format war over.

TimT

Ash, AOD
post #2781 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

People with lip sync problems, try playing the movies with just stereo (red and white RCA) to see if the lip sync problem still exists.

And as BuGsArEtAsTy mentions, post what TV type you're running. If the newer sets have a video processing delay, the 360 may be geared towards matching it. The older CRT sets may be the only one with the lipsync problem.

Hopefully we can center on where the problem lies and who's going to be effected.

the problem persists with composite rca cable directly to television. sony xbr1 32" LCD

eps3
post #2782 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 PM

I'm having audio lag issues as well (about 1/4 sec. behind visual), but it seems to be regardless of whether I select TrueHD or Dobly 5.1. It also occurs regardless of whether I'm using the digital optical connection or the normal red/white composite audio cables, or whether I use composite video or component. I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, but they hadn't heard of the issue.

I found the most painfully obvious way to detect the lag is to watch one of these scenes from Batman Begins: 1) the third to last chapter where Bruce is hammering the nail (you'll hear the delayed bang as he's lifting the hammer), or 2) the very begining of the credits where the words "BATMAN BEGINS" pop up. (The music is supposed to start at the exact moment the words appear, not right after.)

These became all the more apparent when I compared the Batman Begins non-lagging DVD to the HD-DVD. Grrr....

Oh, and I'm using a Sony KV-34HS420 (CRT) with a Samsung HT-P50 (HTiB).
post #2783 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Though it seems the lag issue does not persist if I just run the audio through the television as opposed to my home theater system.
post #2784 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I tried purging the hard drive cache again. It did absolutely nothing to fix the audio lag.

If this is not corrected by January, I'll probably return the HD DVD drive. This lag is now officially driving me crazy. The more I watch, the more I notice it. And I think a lot of people might just do the same. After the initial OMG-THE-VIDEO-IS-SO-AWESOME, like me some people will start to notice the audio issues. And January is the time when a lot of the Xmas returns come in. I'd hate to see 25% of these drives being returned because of this.

P.S. I wonder if it would be "easier" to minimize the lag if the audio were transcoded to DTS, as Amir had suggested as a possibility (not for the the lag reason, but just for the sake of having the DTS option).
post #2785 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I tried purging the hard drive cache again. It did absolutely nothing to fix the audio lag.

If this is not corrected by January, I'll probably return the HD DVD drive. This lag is now officially driving me crazy. The more I watch, the more I notice it. And I think a lot of people might just do the same. After the initial OMG-THE-VIDEO-IS-SO-AWESOME, like me some people will start to notice the audio issues. And January is the time when a lot of the Xmas returns come in. I'd hate to see 25% of these drives being returned because of this.

P.S. I wonder if it would be "easier" to minimize the lag if the audio were transcoded to DTS, as Amir had suggested as a possibility (not for the the lag reason, but just for the sake of having the DTS option).

Most of the newer A/V receivers have a built in delay that is adjustable to allow for audio sync issues so maybe check that out.
post #2786 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

Most of the newer A/V receivers have a built in delay that is adjustable to allow for audio sync issues so maybe check that out.

As I've mentioned before, that would actually make things worse.

The receivers add delay to audio to match the lag in video introduced by some TVs. For instance some DLP TVs have terrible video lag, so that when you watch a DVD or whatever, the sound comes a second before the video.

The opposite seems to be happening with the Xbox 360. Here the audio comes after the video (at least as far as I can tell), and using one of those receivers you are talking about would simply magnify the problem.

Trust me, If I thought an audio circuit delay box would fix the issue, I would have already have ordered one by now. There is nothing available to delay the video... unless you bought one of those laggy TVs. However, those suck at gaming for obvious reasons.
post #2787 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 PM

Anyone else having trouble with their wireless adapter and hd-dvd drive. If I dock it and plug it in to the drive, sometimes it will not turn the wireless adapter on. Now I know this is not an isolated issue because this is my second hd-dvd drive ( I had to exchange my first one because of a problem with the eject button) and the same happened on it.

Obviously an easy work around is to dock the adapter back on the console and plug the drive into a front usb port but I still find this bothersome.
post #2788 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twak View Post

Anyone else having trouble with their wireless adapter and hd-dvd drive. If I dock it and plug it in to the drive, sometimes it will not turn the wireless adapter on. Now I know this is not an isolated issue because this is my second hd-dvd drive ( I had to exchange my first one because of a problem with the eject button) and the same happened on it.

Obviously an easy work around is to dock the adapter back on the console and plug the drive into a front usb port but I still find this bothersome.

I had this problem once, I switched the wifi adapter to the other usb port (on the HD-DVD drive) and it hasn't happened since.
post #2789 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twak View Post

My wireless adapter seems to work fine in this setup, although admittedly I haven't used it that much recently.
post #2790 of 4781 Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrhpsw View Post

Though it seems the lag issue does not persist if I just run the audio through the television as opposed to my home theater system.

This is an interesting data point... Has anyone else with audio lag issues tried this? (not as a solution, but as data to help us work out what's causing it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page