Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #4711 of 4721 Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question Toshiba HD-XA2 - No signal output ??

I purchased a brand new Toshiba HD-XA2 in 2007. Over the years it has been used less and less. I think the last time i used it was over a year ago. Its never given me any problems.

The other night i went to load We are Soldiers on HD-DVD. The player was not outputting any video output (No signal). I even switched HDMI inputs on the my receiver (Denon 3200). The player's display panel showed the disc was playing, but there was no audio or video. I even tried plugging it directly to the TV with different HDMI cables, still no image or sound. Even tried it on an old TV, still nothing.

Anyone experience this before? I am assuming a circuit inside the player went bad. Its sad, because its a beautifully built player with a lovely blue light on the front.

I may take this to best buy to recycle. I'll keep the backlight remote since i can use it on my Toshiba HD-A35 which works still.

Last edited by tn001d; 02-06-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4721 Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
I purchased a brand new Toshiba HD-XA2 in 2007. Over the years it has been used less and less. I think the last time i used it was over a year ago. Its never given me any problems.

The other night i went to load We are Soldiers on HD-DVD. The player was not outputting any video output (No signal). I even switched HDMI inputs on the my receiver (Denon 3200). The player's display panel showed the disc was playing, but there was no audio or video. I even tried plugging it directly to the TV with different HDMI cables, still no image or sound. Even tried it on an old TV, still nothing.

Anyone experience this before? I am assuming a circuit inside the player went bad. Its sad, because its a beautifully built player with a lovely blue light on the front.

I may take this to best buy to recycle. I'll keep the backlight remote since i can use it on my Toshiba HD-A35 which works still.
I am assuming you have connected it to your system by only a hdmi cable.
There is a small slide "Mode" switch on the front panel under the flip-down door that tells the player where to output . . hdmi/component vs. legacy analog type connections. It needs to be set on "2" for audio/video output via hdmi.

If you decide to recycle your HD-XA2 - recycle it to me please . . .
aaronwt likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4713 of 4721 Old 02-07-2018, 08:06 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I am assuming you have connected it to your system by only a hdmi cable.
There is a small slide "Mode" switch on the front panel under the flip-down door that tells the player where to output . . hdmi/component vs. legacy analog type connections. It needs to be set on "2" for audio/video output via hdmi.

If you decide to recycle your HD-XA2 - recycle it to me please . . .

OMG.. i completely forgot about that switch. Although highly unlikely, its possible the switch was flipped. I have to go to best buy to see if the player is still there. I dropped it off tuesday afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 4721 Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The handshake with the XA2 and newer gear seems to be very problematic. I couldn't get anything to work via HDMI using the back HDMI jacks on my Denon 4300 that replaced my Onkyo. The front HDMI did work though, so I new the issue was with either HDCP or more likely EDID. I used a Dr. HDMI with it flashed with ironically the same EDID as my old DVDO Duo and it fixed the issue and it's now working properly.
fmalczewski likes this.
post #4715 of 4721 Old 02-28-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I had the same or similar issue with the XA2 and the Denon X7200WA I had recently acquired. The workaround I came up with was to use an Oppo 103 in between the two to do the hdmi fixup. But the sticky drawer bugged me (and got beyond me when I started tearing it apart as to how to get all the way in there and maybe fix it) and so I gave up and replaced it with an A35 still going through the 103. (I don't recall whether I may have tried it direct or not.) Then a while later I read where the 7200 supposedly had no known issues with the Toshiba HD-DVD machines and (not really believing it) just for the hell of it plugged the A35 into the back of the 7200 (maybe "again"). And that time it worked. (I had to do some fine tuning of receiver settings and remote timers to get it to work reliably with my Harmony remote setup, but it was still working well last I checked (watched a couple hd-dvds not too long ago).)

I kind of wonder if in retrospect it was just a setting in the player that subsequently got tweaked while being hooked up through the Oppo. Or just some fluky combination of settings in the receiver and the player that needed to be just so. Maybe some day I'll dig out the XA2 again just to see if it would now work.
post #4716 of 4721 Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
My HD-XA2 is connected to my relatively new Onkyo TX-RZ810 via hdmi. It worked the 1st time and has been fine so far. Maybe the issues are unique to Denon?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4717 of 4721 Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
My HD-XA2 is connected to my relatively new Onkyo TX-RZ810 via hdmi. It worked the 1st time and has been fine so far. Maybe the issues are unique to Denon?
On the last two pages I've seen Denon and Marantz mentioned, their more recent offerings. So probably just them. ( and their hdmi 2 ? )
post #4718 of 4721 Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quite probably as I suspect it's simply typical HDMI handshake gremlins thanks to EDID.

Fortunately, there's products on the market to mitigate it.
post #4719 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster Matt View Post
Quite probably as I suspect it's simply typical HDMI handshake gremlins thanks to EDID.

Fortunately, there's products on the market to mitigate it.
A few weeks back, and several more before that, I did some mucking around with my Toshiba A35 and my Denon 7200. Prior to the Denon's final firmware update, I had the A35 working pretty well directly connected to it, with some old cables I'd been using for quite some time that had always worked fine with an older receiver.

Then came the last firmware update for the 7200, and it was broke again (no video, just audio).

(More recently when I hooked up an Oppo 203, got the same thing (no video, just audio), which fairly quickly led me to think maybe there was a reason they both weren't working in a similar manner.)

So long story short, when I replaced the cable between the A35 and the 7200 with a certified premium cable there was a sign of life (there was noisy flickering video sometimes), but couldn't quite get it to work. But once I finally also changed the cable between the 7200 and the plasma to a certified premium cable to see if it would help with the 203, the A35 also started working all good again.

In summary, it seems like Denon(/Marantz) really wants you to use the best hdmi cables available, even with the oldest hdmi devices around. Shouldn't need the mitigating devices with reasonably current hardware and best cables if my experience is any indication. (Cheap monoprice certified premium cables in my case, so they don't have to cost much either.)

(The XA2 should behave pretty much the same, no?)
post #4720 of 4721 Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

Hey,

I had this very issue on my Denon AVR-S720W recently and found that connecting the HD DVD player to the front "AUX" HDMI Input worked. I won't pretend to know why that was but it seems to be a feature with a lot of old 1.2/1.3HDMI codecs and Denon; the sound works but not the picture.

Hope this helps
post #4721 of 4721 Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I too had an issue with my 93 OPPO and found out that if your using a 4k tv with deep Color turn 4:2:2 on, it didn’t pass audio turned of audio returned. This may be the issue your hddvd player also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page