Fuh Yuan to make 2M HD-DVD players for Walmart; Wal-Mart denies rumor - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Wowsers.

Yep. 200x10000 machines = 2 million. (In Chinese, numbers are usually in tens of thousands, not thousands.)

As mentioned (and as some of us expected) the target list price is US$299.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD! We have all heard Chinese HD DVD players were coming. This Wally World thing is news and if it pans out then Sony needs to "kill" HD DVD, and it had better do it right now because tomorrow will be too late! If two million inexpensive HD DVD players get to Wally World then this will put huge stress on BD and the supporting companies - ante up or get out. I'm looking forward to a $49 HD DVD player and a $99 BD player. Those guys who spent $1,000 + for a BD player won't be happy, but then again they can always sell it here for $19.95.

Cheers,

Grant
post #63 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2401
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Remember that scene in The Poseidon Adventure when Leslie Nielsen (the captain of the doomed ship) watches with binoculars a gigantic wave headed toward his ship and says My God in utter disbelief? Well, this announcement of Walmart ordering 2 million HD-DVD drives is that wave, Leslie Nielsen is your favorite hired gun for the BDA (Andy Parsons, Howard Stringer, Ken Kutagari, etc.) and the Poseidon ship is the Blu-ray strategy of profitability about to be turned on its head. And when that gigantic wave (i.e. under-$200 HD-DVD players at Walmart in time for Black Friday) hits later in 2007... look out!

BTW, who do we have to **** around here to make this thread a sticky? (**** = KISS! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD! We have all heard Chinese HD DVD players were coming. This Wally World thing is news and if it pans out then Sony needs to "kill" HD DVD, and it had better do it right now because tomorrow will be too late! If two million inexpensive HD DVD players get to Wally World then this will put huge stress on BD and the supporting companies - ante up or get out. I'm looking forward to a $49 HD DVD player and a $99 BD player. Those guys who spent $1,000 + for a BD player won't be happy, but then again they can always sell it here for $19.95.

Cheers,

Grant

They are probably in shock right now.
But don't worry, they'll be digging something up in a minute.
post #65 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Remember that scene in The Poseidon Adventure when Leslie Nielsen (the captain of the doomed ship) watches with binoculars a gigantic wave headed toward his ship and says My God in utter disbelief? Well, this announcement of Walmart ordering 2 million HD-DVD drives is that wave, Leslie Nielsen is your favorite hired gun for the BDA (Andy Parsons, Howard Stringer, Ken Kutagari, etc.) and the Poseidon ship is the Blu-ray strategy of profitability about to be turned on its head. And when that gigantic wave (i.e. under-$200 HD-DVD players at Walmart in time for Black Friday) hits later in 2007... look out!

BTW, who do we have to **** around here to make this thread a sticky? (**** = KISS! )

Lol
post #66 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm... The date on the article is April 16. I'm surprised this hasn't made the rounds earlier. Fu Yuan needs to work on its PR department.

BTW, at $50 a pop for the drive, perhaps that means we'll see the Xbox 360 add-on drive come down in price for Xmas. Even with the USB 2 enclosure and a remote, it seems that $129 would be a reasonable price. They can leave out the free HD DVD disc this time.
post #67 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

I know and I can't wait. The lessons these guys can teach when it comes to spin are simply awe-inspiring!

Cheers,

Grant
post #68 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2401
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Quote:

I know and I can't wait. The lessons these guys can teach when it comes to spin is simply awe-inspiring!

They only have to look up to our elected leaders for inspiration!
post #69 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bet they are making all those HD DVD drives for the PS3
post #70 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:

What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD!

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #71 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

They only have to look up to our elected leaders for inspiration!

Embarrassing but true.
post #72 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

The best Richard could manage was this ...

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10345396

Quote:

I would wait and see what exactly this 2 million order forms is about before assuming something like that since so far there is a serious lack of information on what exactly Fuh Yuan is making/selling/expecting.

post #73 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

I expected a better spin from you than that...see if you can do better.
post #74 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that?

Apparently Wal-Mart, to the tune of $100000000 US.
post #75 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My reaction, if this is indeed true;

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4384/acedancepv4.gif

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #76 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

The best Richard could manage was this ...

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10345396

LOL
post #77 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

My reaction, if this is indeed true;

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4384/acedancepv4.gif

Lol.

Ditto brother!
post #78 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do you ever come down from the ivory tower or do you stay put there tending to all your white elephants ?
post #79 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 PM

FWIW, it's working with folks like Fuh Yuan that made Wal Mart achieve revenues that rival the GDP of all but a handful of countries, and working exclusively with Panny, Pio, Sony etc. that is driving folks like Tweeter to bankruptcy....Wal-mart is where Americans shop. For good or for bad.:...
post #80 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

FWIW, it's working with folks like Fuh Yuan that made Wal Mart achieve revenues that rival the GDP of all but a handful of countries, and working exclusively with Panny, Pio, Sony etc. that is driving folks like Tweeter to bankruptcy....Wal-mart is where Americans shop. For good or for bad.:...

I shop there.
post #81 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Apparently Wal-Mart, to the tune of $100000000 US.

I don't think so, the average Walmart customer is below the income level of Joe 6 pack at Best Buy. To buy a HD DVD player, they would likely surmise the need of an expensive plasma ($1.5K or more)....and movies that cost $25 -$40 each! Moreover, the movies are likely unavailable for rental at the local Blockbuster (and not found in the $5.99 bin either)... I think the demographic is all wrong. ...$299 HD DVD players and $30 movies are going to collect cob webs at Walmart.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #82 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Wowsers.

Yep. 200x10000 machines = 2 million. (In Chinese, numbers are usually in tens of thousands, not thousands.)

As mentioned (and as some of us expected) the target list price is US$299.

I wonder how quickly it will come down in price.
post #83 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, thats why all of us here drive Bently's on $10k tires. Toyota? Pfft /lifts nose

C'mon man, at least throw in a good news for Blu-Ray! So at least you have a way out of such a silly comment..

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #84 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

Do you ever come down from the ivory tower or do you stay put there tending to all your white elephants ?

If $99 for a set of 4 tires is the Ivooy tower, then click your heals three times in succession and you'll be at Walmart!

post #85 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

Yes, thats why all of us here drive Bently's on $10k tires. Toyota? Pfft /lifts nose

Hey, I drive a Toyota!!! I can't afford a Bentley like you HD DVD buyers!!!

post #86 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hate Walmart...but if they can put out a HD DVD player for under $200 I will purchase one for each of my (3) kids. I don't care if they are made by Fuh Yuan...after all my kids are quite happy with a Colby brand DVD player.

Joe V.
post #87 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:

I'm sure they are not marketed under Fuh Yuan and that they have another CE name they are going to release in the US. You'll be surprised how thrifty most Wal-Mart shoppers are and will buy anything they think that is as competitive for a lower price. Why, because they know if it doesn't work, they can simply return it no questions asked within a reasonable time frame. Just check out their return line and look in the return carts. Anything and everything is returned.

If the HD-DVD comes in to Wal-Mart at $99-199 and Blu-Ray is $399, they will buy HD-DVD and give it a try. If it's not up to par for whatever reason, then they'll return the HD-DVD and buy the BR at a higher price. When they see no improvement in PQ with BR, they will question why they bought such an expensive player, and back goes the Blu-Ray player. I see that scenerio playing itself out over and over at Wal-Mart. With Wal-mart investing in HD-DVD players, I see a big marketing push by Wal-Mart and their employees. I can already see HD-DVD hooked up to every HD Plasma and LCD come Christmas time playing A Christmas Story HD-DVD or Polar Express HD-DVD. So yeah, it might be cheap and of a lesser known name brand, but it's going to make an impact.
post #88 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so, the average Walmart customer is below the income level of Joe 6 pack at Best Buy. To buy a HD DVD player, they would likely surmise the need of an expensive plasma ($1.5K or more)....and movies that cost $25 -$40 each! Moreover, the movies are likely unavailable for rental at the local Blockbuster (and not found in the $5.99 bin either)... I think the demographic is all wrong. ...$299 HD DVD players and $30 movies are going to collect cob webs at Walmart.

Wal-Mart already sells both Blu-ray and HD DVD movies, and has been for the past year.

Strangely enough, they've recently raised prices at the Wal-Mart near my place. That's one of the reasons I no longer buy hi-def movies there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post

I wonder how quickly it will come down in price.

Well, if it's $299 list, I suspect it might just be significantly less than that early on.

FWIW, the $399 Toshiba went to $299 in some places pretty damn quickly, even though some of the big retailers still sell it for $399.

Mind you, if Wal-Mart controls all these players, then they might just lock it at $249-299 until the other brands drop their prices.
post #89 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I drive a Toyota!!! I can't afford a Bentley like you HD DVD buyers!!!

Sorry, someone should have told you Lexus is where its at, #1

You can't afford(or just don't allow yourself the budget) Bently, Lexus, just as the regular Wal-Mart shopper can't afford(doesn't allow themselves the budget) a $600 PS3 or $1k BD player.

Not saying you can't, JUST saying, for example. Cause I've seen your system some years ago. You could drive a REAL nice car if you wanted to

It's not that you just settled for less. You bought the best you could get for your budget and what you felt is important to you. The average Wal-Mart buyer isn't expecting or planning to buy a Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc. So I don't think they will care about whatever name it is they see.

post #90 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 PM

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page