AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HD DVD Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/151-hd-dvd-players/)
-   -   Fuh Yuan to make 2M HD-DVD players for Walmart; Wal-Mart denies rumor (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/151-hd-dvd-players/836632-fuh-yuan-make-2m-hd-dvd-players-walmart-wal-mart-denies-rumor.html)

wei2008 04-19-2007 11:08 AM

The following site is in Chinese. It basically says that Fuh Yuan electronic corporation from Taiwan just built a new factory to manufacture blue laser HD-DVD cores. This core is independently developed by Fuh Yuan, and is a joint project with TDK. The production will be handled by Great Wall corporation in China. An interesting thing is that it mentioned that Fuh Yuan got a two million units order from Wal-Mart, worth USD$100 million. Since Wal-Mart does not sell blue laser core, I assume it would be players. Fuh Yuan's stock will be released by July 12th, and will be publicly traded next March. It is a press release.

Fuh Yuan has a similar news on its Chinese website, but not on its English version.

Link: http://www.ettoday.com/2007/04/16/320-2082635.htm

Fuh Yuan website: http://www.fuhyuan.com/

Edit: Possible price: $299, see link here (again, Chinese): http://www.udn.com/2007/4/16/NEWS/ST.../3804769.shtml
Edit: The price link edited. It works now,

GmanAVS 04-19-2007 11:39 AM

Interesting news, ty

Scoob 04-19-2007 11:39 AM

If this is true, it could really push J6P to adopt sooner than later.

venk 04-19-2007 11:43 AM

$299 seems like a bit much since the A2 streets for $300-$350. Hopefully, this player will street at $199.

Scoob 04-19-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

$299 seems like a bit much since the A2 streets for $300-$350. Hopefully, this player will street at $199.

Agreed.

geko29 04-19-2007 11:51 AM

Count on these to be WELL under $200 by the time they hit shelves. Wal-Mart is buying them for $50 apiece, they're not going to be reselling them for $300. High volume and low prices with razor-thin margins is their entire business model. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they sold for $99, which would still allow for a bit of profit even after UL registration, packaging and delivery.

hikinokie 04-19-2007 12:06 PM

I just hope it ends the stupid format war.

venk 04-19-2007 12:24 PM

Walmart may have just purchased the core for $50, they would still have to pay FY or another OEM the rest of the money for assembly and manufacturing of the actual player itself.

madpoet 04-19-2007 12:24 PM

It won't.

JWhip 04-19-2007 12:39 PM

If these hit the selves in the US in 2007 at a price of around $199 it will be really hard for the likes of Fox and Disney to ignore the sale of such a machine if it sells in big numbers. It could really even out the PS3 factor, especially given that these machines will be purchased to play HD-DVD discs. It makes one wonder if Samsung was aware of this and whether this is behind their decision to announce the Duo hybrid player at this time. Interesting news indeed.

gooki 04-19-2007 02:24 PM

And the big thing to concentrate on is

Quote:

This core is independently developed by Fuh Yuan, and is a joint project with TDK.

TDK in the past have been solely implementing BD technology - good to see them moving into HDDVD development.

Urza 04-19-2007 02:29 PM

Two million players, and a new factory.

I thought HDDVD lost the war

wei2008 04-19-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

Two million players, and a new factory.

I thought HDDVD lost the war

It says there could be more orders from Wal-Mart, totaling $300 million for next year. So more is coming,

dad1153 04-19-2007 03:25 PM

If there are HD-DVD players selling for under $200 in Walmart stores in time for Black Friday this war is so over. I'm serious. Is it me or is this bigger than we're making it out to be?

hikinokie 04-19-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

If there are HD-DVD players selling for under $200 in Walmart stores in time for Black Friday this war is so over. I'm serious. Is it me or is this bigger than we're making it out to be?

If this turns the tide there will be dancing in the streets. Imagine Sony folding by CES 2008! (I can dream can't I?)

Slim GoodBooty 04-19-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

If this turns the tide there will be dancing in the streets. Imagine Sony folding by CES 2008! (I can dream can't I?)

Why do you guys need Sony to fold? It should be enough that HDDVD will get more studios involved. No matter what happens we are years from SOny offering HDDVDs, even if everyone else deserts them.

Snickering Hound 04-19-2007 03:50 PM

Got to be careful with these since alot of Fuyuan players are listed as HD-DVD when they are just DVD players that do upconversion over HDMI.

http://www.globalsources.com/manufac...HD-Player.html

But a blue laser factory with a big Walmart order is news

Slim GoodBooty 04-19-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

Got to be careful with these since alot of Fuyuan players are listed as HD-DVD when they are just DVD players that do upconversion over HDMI.

http://www.globalsources.com/manufac...HD-Player.html

But a blue laser factory with a big Walmart order is news

The fact is that the only technology at the moment that is readily and cheaply replicated is HDDVD. There are still serious doubts that BD25 can be manufactured in DVD type numbers and BD50 damn sure can't. HDDVD players are also much cheaper to manufacture and are scaling better than their BD cousins. At any rate, both sides have way too much invested to stop any time soon. If there were a million HDDVD players in homes and every studio but Fox and Sony went neutral, Sony would still make only BD because of the money they felt they got screwed out of with DVD.

Technicolor 04-19-2007 04:05 PM

Launching the PS3 with BD drives and taking a loss just to push adoption: $1 billion

Issuing a PR campaign saying the war is over and Blu-ray won: $ 100 million

Watching Walmart selling HD DVD stand alone players at $199: priceless.

Paul Cordingley 04-19-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicolor View Post

Launching the PS3 with BD drives and taking a loss just to push adoption: $1 billion

Issuing a PR campaign saying the war is over and Blu-ray won: $ 100 million

Watching Walmart selling HD DVD stand alone players at $199: priceless.

LOL. Brilliant.

Snickering Hound 04-19-2007 04:21 PM

Ran the first link through an online chinese to english translator:

With 2 million orders, it looks like Walmart has chosen an HD format.

In lucky Yan the branch factory is completed blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism official birth

Reporter Zhang Yiming the/Taichung reported

Taiwan electronic technology industry knocks at the gate once again to the world! In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory finishes at the same time which begins using, also the foreign publication researches and develops the manufacture by the people blue light HD DVD the cassette mechanism official birth. This director of company Deng Hongji indicated that after the fine resolution blue light HD DVD the cassette mechanism researches and develops successfully, this year immediately receives the American WALMART 2,000,000 order forms, expected the end of next year the total output value may arrive at the dollar 10,100,000,000.

In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory is having been through repeatedly one year construction, yesterday morning held finishes the launching ceremony, first supervised party politics important people and so on Chair Qian Fu Mr. and Mrs. to attend this grand meeting. Chairman Deng Hongji in the new factory begins using in the ceremony, also outward publishes the new product blue light HD DVD the cassette mechanism, but this is also first fine resolution blue light HD DVD which researches and develops voluntarily by the people.

Deng Hongji releases the advantage multi-news to point out that at present this blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism with the Japanese TDK cooperation, will be responsible by the mainland Great Wall to produce, therefore after the product is born obtains the American WALMART 2,000,000 order forms immediately, expected the end of this year, the output value may amount to 100,000,000 Yuan dollars, if will add on the next year to estimate the value again, the output value on looked that 300,000,000 Yuan dollars, will be equal to the dollar 10,100,000,000 Yuan. Also therefore the lucky Yan stock will distribute in this July 12, in next year March cabinet.

Deng Hongji also mentioned that blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism for the high-capacity, Gao Huazhi, the high analysis's new field of vision, may let the phantom be more lifelike, the picture to be more gorgeous. Its superiority is easier and the present DVD disc maintains the compatibility, and may continue to use the existing DVD disc's production equipment, is advantageous expands the disc and objective lens' distance, does not need the disc card chest and so on, reduces largely from the existing DVD transition the cost which needs to HD DVD, the cost which from DVD causes the small dish piece production manufacturer to transform to HD DVD when needs to be able 夠 to fall lowly. In addition, although HD the DVD small dish piece record capacity is small, but against blows, the antifouling ability to be good, does not need the card chest, therefore the production system regulation is easy, and the cost is low.

xboxboi 04-19-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei2008 View Post

The following site is in Chinese. It basically says that Fuh Yuan electronic corporation from Taiwan just built a new factory to manufacture blue laser HD-DVD cores. This core is independently developed by Fuh Yuan, and is a joint project with TDK. The production will be handled by Great Wall corporation in China. An interesting thing is that it mentioned that Fuh Yuan got a two million units order from Wal-Mart, worth USD$100 million. Since Wal-Mart does not sell blue laser core, I assume it would be players. Fuh Yuan's stock will be released by July 12th, and will be publicly traded next March. It is a press release.

Fuh Yuan has a similar news on its Chinese website, but not on its English version.

Fuh Yuan website: http://www.fuhyuan.com/

Edit: Possible price: $299, see link here (again, Chinese): http://udn.com/NEWS/STOCK/STO5/3804769.shtml
Edit: The price link no longer work now. I wonder why,

OMG - 100mil/2mil = (((( $50 )))))

Andrikos 04-19-2007 04:40 PM

$199 for a chinese player sold at crapmart is waaaaaaay too high a price for J6P to swallow.

Now if the player came in at $99 bundled with a $500 HDTV, now we're talking.
You have reached the masses and therefore critical mass.

This would seriously tip the scales in the format war but it's all theoretical right now...

Movie prices need to go to the ~$15 range and lower for J6P to start stocking up.

PS Oh yeah, change the name (Fuh Yuan) to something less, ahem, strange. Something like blue dragon...

roma_victor 04-19-2007 04:45 PM

IMO this is a very significant development if true; fyi I have a post in the insider's thread asking for verfication and further information, and I'll post any response here.

Also, I'm not sure if the dollar figures cited are supposed to be US dollars or Taiwanese Yuans which IIRC are approximately 1/38 of US dollar

tundrSQ 04-19-2007 04:51 PM

am I the only one that bristles at the term "j6p"

trgraphics 04-19-2007 04:56 PM

I guess these players aren't vaporware after all!

Orders for 2 million from Wal-Mart of all places is very serious business! They barely sell them now. Apparently they see a bright future for HD DVD.

This is going to be a very interesting year and this news is the biggest so far for HD DVD.

Django 04-19-2007 05:00 PM

I think this war is about to end!!!

FoolintheRain 04-19-2007 05:07 PM

Hmmmm,

Matrix Trilogy pseudo HD DVD exclusive
LOTR pseudo HD DVD exclusive
Harry Potter franchise pseudo HD DVD exclusive
Back to the Future HD DVD exclusive

2 MILLION cheap HD DVD players to Walmart

If all of these happen before the end of 2007...

That, ladies and gentlemen WINS the format war!
True, BD will hang around like Betamax did, but everyone will have jumped neutral except SONY...

Just an idea...but everyone should send the highlights of this tasty little news blurb to s all the BD only studios via email and mention the price impact, mass adoption impact, etc. Just an idea. A type of consumer driven "things that make ya go Hmmm" thing.

xboxboi 04-19-2007 05:11 PM

the article appeared to be a press release for some sort of IPO. Me likey

Django 04-19-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

Hmmmm,

Matrix Trilogy pseudo HD DVD exclusive
LOTR pseudo HD DVD exclusive
Harry Potter franchise pseudo HD DVD exclusive
Back to the Future HD DVD exclusive

2 MILLION cheap HD DVD players to Walmart

If all of these happen before the end of 2007...

That, ladies and gentlemen WINS the format war!
True, BD will hang around like Betamax did, but everyone will have jumped neutral except SONY...

Just an idea...but everyone should send the highlights of this tasty little news blurb to s all the BD only studios via email and mention the price impact, mass adoption impact, etc. Just an idea. A type of consumer driven "things that make ya go Hmmm" thing.

Don't think that, for one second, the studios are not aware of what is happening.

Want to tell me what is going on with FOX???
I think they might just support HD DVD yet.

venk 04-19-2007 05:17 PM

If the $50 number holds up, we should see players on WalMart shelves for $99 pretty much pushing all the BR Exclusive fan boys to go out and grab an HD DVD player just to be neutral. Plus with 1.5 - 2 million STAND ALONE units in the wild (Wal Mart wouldn't order 2 million plus another potential 6 million if it only planned to sell 200,000) we would see a huge uptake in movies sales.

Think about it, a bunch of fanboys got together for one day to purchase movies and that action skyrocketed sales for a day past Blu Ray. If one Website can have that impact, imagine what effect you would get when you have 10x more HD DVD players than you have now.

It won't end the war, but it will put HUGE pressure on Sony to bring to market a low end BR player to compete with the FY Player (either through Sony themselves or through a Chinese OEM) and that won't thrill their fellow manufacturers who were hoping to sell high end $600 and up players for a while longer.

What it boils down to is that the price curve for High Def Discs will drop MUCH faster than the price curve for SD DVD simply due to a format war that everybody seems to hate.

If it weren't for the format war, we would still be paying at least $500 for a low end player. This format war has spurned COMPETITION which means we are talking about potential $100 HD DVD players by the end of the year and SIGNIFICANT pressure on the BR side to match or come close to that price point.

Now why do we hate format wars again?

Snickering Hound 04-19-2007 05:24 PM

$50.00 for blue laser assembly
$X for Microsoft/Broadcom BCM7440 SOC set
$few bucks power supply
$few cents for case.

$100?

kevink109 04-19-2007 05:28 PM

If we know TDK is involved in Blu-ray development is there a chance that the references in the article to "blue light HD DVD" could simply be a generic term, not neccissarily a true HD DVD product?

I hope it is HD DVD specific but be careful-

trgraphics 04-19-2007 05:32 PM

If these players hit before Thanksgiving, we could see some studios going nuetral before Christmas. Wal-Mart has more maketing power than all the studios and Sony combined.

This is big!

alfbinet 04-19-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

am I the only one that bristles at the term "j6p"

I consider myself a j6p and I don't take it as a offense. I have a moderate income, but I try to school myself in AV. Of course I love this stuff so I take more of a interest then any of my family. I work for a pool of lawyers at a national bank and they have no clue as to what this is all about. You could consider them j6ps. My boss is the General Counsel of a major Midwestern bank and he asks me questions about considered/future purchases as far as display devices.

In this forum I think of j6p as an average consumer that needs to keep up with all this stuff to become an educated consumer.

wildfire99 04-19-2007 05:35 PM

People ask, what will end the "war", but this is it. Nobody is going to go to Wal-Mart, look at the red rack with a player at $199, and movies at $19.98, and not feel some kind of unpleasant emotion when they look at the blue rack with players at $499 and movies at $28.98. Regardless of the reality of these cheap players, this type of marketing is what will win the war for somebody.

I went blue first, but in my library red outnumbers blue about 8:1 just because of price!

rickforrest 04-19-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post

Movie prices need to go to the ~$15 range and lower for J6P to start stocking up.

They're already 18.99 at costco for the non-combo HD-DVDs. RIGHT NOW. If this story is true, and Walmart does buy 2 million HD-DVD players, I can guarantee they will have affordable HD-DVD movies for sale. Walmart is insanely good at squeezing their suppliers to lower their prices.

Snickering Hound 04-19-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 View Post

If we know TDK is involved in Blu-ray development is there a chance that the references in the article to "blue light HD DVD" could simply be a generic term, not neccissarily a true HD DVD product?

Samsung, HP, and LG are on the blu-ray board too and producing HD-DVD now.

I think that if they meant blu-ray they would have said it with all those references to blue lasers.

Schils 04-19-2007 05:38 PM

If it pans out, it's quite significant news no matter how any spinmeister tries to paint it, and you best believe if we junkies here notice developments like this, the studios sure as hell do <<<< thats KEY, folks! =)

Been saying all along, it's not content, but price that will win the day...I have several friends that think I'm nuts when I tell them how much I've been enjoying my movie hobby in HD - they laugh because of the money invested...my brother in law for example - guy lives in a new 500k+ home (in north ATL, that's living pretty damn sweet), earns 120k yr, hardly a J6P anyway, and he won't even consider buying into this stuff until its MUCH more affordable...a practical thinker with a wife, mortgage and youngins to feed. Price does matter big time, maybe not here, where everyone is addicted to this stuff, but we are small potatoes in the grand scheme, period.

There was a link here to an article a few weeks back where somebody at Sony said America was the "land of the cheap" - how ironic, "cheapness" might just do IT for his competitors. =)

x1newb 04-19-2007 05:40 PM

I just don't see how even a $99 HD-DVD player will convince JSP to go and spend $1000+ dollars on an HDTV (not to mention an AV receiver) as soon as the players hit the streets. Heck, how many with an HD-DVD player right now would buy one of these except as an additional unit for the bedroom, or to possibly sell their current one and pocket a few bucks? I see this as a way for people who want to be format neutral to do so cheaply. Until JSP HAS to switch to an HDTV, I think sales numbers will remain relatively small. Of course, the quality of the player will also be a factor, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

emptychair 04-19-2007 05:44 PM

J6P won't need to be convinced to get a $1000 HDTV just because he has HD-DVD, just like there are HDTV owners now not viewing HD anything. Besides, there are plenty of displays less than $1000 that would shine with HD-DVD and $99 to get your foot into HD will be hard to ignore for anyone even remotely looking at purchasing some kind of player.

wnorris 04-19-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1newb View Post

I just don't see how even a $99 HD-DVD player will convince JSP to go and spend $1000+ dollars on an HDTV (not to mention an AV receiver) as soon as the players hit the streets. Heck, how many with an HD-DVD player right now would buy one of these except as an additional unit for the bedroom, or to possibly sell their current one and pocket a few bucks? I see this as a way for people who want to be format neutral to do so cheaply. Until JSP HAS to switch to an HDTV, I think sales numbers will remain relatively small. Of course, the quality of the player will also be a factor, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

J6P won't even know they need a new TV. It's just magic in a box folks...

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 05:47 PM

13 Attachment(s)
I will take all of this with a healthy pinch of salt, until more info trickles out on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

$50.00 for blue laser assembly
$X for Microsoft/Broadcom BCM7440 SOC set
$few bucks power supply
$few cents for case.

$100?

No. Don't forget licencing, various other stuff, and dealer markup.

I still predict Chinese players will come in at $199 street, late 2007.

BTW, lots of J6Ps already have HDTVs. They just don't use the HD part of it much, although some do for football games.

emptychair 04-19-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 View Post

People ask, what will end the "war", but this is it. Nobody is going to go to Wal-Mart, look at the red rack with a player at $199, and movies at $19.98, and not feel some kind of unpleasant emotion when they look at the blue rack with players at $499 and movies at $28.98. Regardless of the reality of these cheap players, this type of marketing is what will win the war for somebody.

I went blue first, but in my library red outnumbers blue about 8:1 just because of price!

That would be me. I asked that question to people who complained that dual format players would simply prolong the format war and not end it. They wanted to end the format war instead (as I'm fairly certain most if not all of us want as well) but offered no way to do so. I was simply trying to make the point that dual format players was the next best solution to one format for all.

Bull1962 04-19-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

I will take all of this with a healthy pinch of salt, until more info trickles out on this.

BTW, lots of J6Ps already have HDTVs. They just don't use the HD part of it much, although some do for football games.

True...true, It's a great way to introduce consumers to a low cost HD media player, Shortly you'll be able to buy a 720p set for $400 to go along with it...The problem lies with getting consumers to spend $30.00 on the media content...Wally World is a surviver and profit maker...I'm sure they will offer some 9.9 APR to sucker them in.

pdubyu 04-19-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1newb View Post

I just don't see how even a $99 HD-DVD player will convince JSP to go and spend $1000+ dollars on an HDTV (not to mention an AV receiver) as soon as the players hit the streets....

J6P is buying HDTVs on his own. Flat panels sold like hotcakes last Christmas and it will only get better this year.

I have a coworker that went from a 27" CRT to a 37" LCD last week. It's funny to now hear him talking about the lack of HD content. My guess is "no black bars" is what he means but if you can pick up a $200 player at Walmart, that's not bleeding edge anymore.

IMO, audio isn't as high up the priority list for J6P. Whether it's WAF, complexity, cost, etc., the built-in TV speakers still rule the roost. HD will sell mostly on picture, not on lossless PCM soundtracks.

SteroMAdMAn 04-19-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

J6P won't even know they need a new TV. It's just magic in a box folks...

lol, that was below the belt

Bob Black 04-19-2007 06:12 PM

Though this is fantastic news for mass adoption of HD-DVD, I can't help but question how cheaply-built these machines will likely be. Is it possible they won't perform up to snuff and give HD-DVD a bad name? I'd hate to see the format reviewed poorly after such a great launch. Don't get me wrong -- I love the news. Hopefully it sparks some BD studios into neutrality sooner than later.

Capek 04-19-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

My reaction to the news of at CES of the coming Chinese players was that it would determine the outcome of the war in HD-DVDs favor. After the initial excitement wore off, I began to feel that the PS3 would give BD high enough sales numbers to limp along ad infinitum, this to end anything, but it without doubt obliterates and notion that HD-DVD is or will ever be on anything resembling a "death bed".

Mainly for me, the thought of cheap HD players flooding the market means that I won't have to worry about not getting any more great HD content, so I'm very happy that things like this are in motion.

Bull1962 04-19-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

Though this is fantastic news for mass adoption of HD-DVD, I can't help but question how cheaply-built these machines will likely be. Is it possible they won't perform up to snuff and give HD-DVD a bad name? I'd hate to see the format reviewed poorly after such a great launch. Don't get me wrong -- I love the news. Hopefully it sparks some BD studios into neutrality sooner than later.

Yeah it already did...Fanboy's favorite media link was changed to Kibble and Bits...hmmmm, "here boy"..."fetch"

BIG ED 04-19-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

I consider myself a j6p and I don't take it as a offense. I have a moderate income, but I try to school myself in AV. Of course I love this stuff so I take more of a interest then any of my family. I work for a pool of lawyers at a national bank and they have no clue as to what this is all about. You could consider them j6ps. My boss is the General Counsel of a major Midwestern bank and he asks me questions about considered/future purchases as far as display devices.

Your very modest, however your not J6P!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

In this forum I think of j6p as an average consumer that needs to keep up with all this stuff to become an educated consumer.

J6P is J6P, not someone who is educated about A/V, nor is 'he' becoming educated about A/V. J6P just "buys stuff". No research, no discussion, just features & price point. If you go to BB & stand around the exit, you'll see "J6P's" rolling stuff out w/a smile on their face (and rightfully so, as they just bought what they wanted), that you wouldn't be happy/pleased w/if some gave it to you.

Some people do find it a derogatory term. I've always reveled in it simplicity to convey a certain type of consumer precisely.

OP,
Thanks for posting this.

This does not "win" the war. It prolongs it. Which is indeed a "win" for HD DVD.
After all, Sony said it was over earlier this year & the Blu-meanies have been saying its been over since '05.

This is what HD DVD is all about, HD on Disc for the masses!
Hip, hip, hooray!

I almost forgot...
Good news for Blu-ray!

venk 04-19-2007 06:47 PM

J6P refers to a consumer who does not follow a product to the degree of the hobbyist but still is a potential customer of that product. In a sense ALL of us are J6Ps as I doubt we spend hour after hour pouring over the minutiae about Power Tools, Flash Lights, Cars, etc. all of which have forums, magazines, and huge followings that consider everyone else a J6P.

J6P has NOTHING to do with income or lifestyle, it is simply a reference to the guys who purchase items without the dedication or research of a hobbyist.

mchuckp 04-19-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

It is very likely they won't perform quite as well. So if you are a techie maybe you need to spend a bit more and get a better player. Many J6p's will be more than happen with the performance of the cheap player. Just like today we have sub $100 players that flood the market but many of us spend more on better players.

Of course, we may be surprised and the cheap players could perform identically to what we are used to.

wei2008 04-19-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 View Post

I had initial doubts on this too. However, all the benefits of HD-DVD were mentioned at the end of the article so it is quite clear, to me, that they meant by HD-DVD.

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 07:25 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Oh it definitely seems to refer to actual blue-laser HD DVD, although I admit I'd like to have a more complete translation somewhere of the actual text. (Google's translation is very difficult to understand. )

What I really want to know is what exact piece of electronics they are talking about. Is it a simply an HD DVD-ROM drive? That would make sense for a $50 product, but why would Wal-Mart be ordering drives and not complete machines? Or is Wal-Mart ordering machines, and Fu Yuan simply the company who is manufacturing the drives, or some other blu-laser component for players to be made by someone contracted to Great Wall?

And could it still just be a rumour piece, and not an actual press release?

nataraj 04-19-2007 07:26 PM

Does someone here know Chinese and do a decent translation and tell us what it really says ?

Looks like Walmart is buying 2M HD DVD drives - $50 a piece - towards the end of this year.

I can almost hear the BD fans passing out and falling in a heap

wnorris 04-19-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

The licensing fee is built into the decoder. You don't pay a seperate fee, you just buy the decoder.

wei2008 04-19-2007 07:31 PM

The second link is edited and working now. I finally found the article. The ceremony of the completion of the factory was big deal since many high ranking VIPs attended.

The joint venture on the production of HD-DVD appears to be a significant cooperation between Fuh Yuan, Great Wall corporation and Wal-Mart.

metalsaber 04-19-2007 07:33 PM

20 Attachment(s)
I certainly hope this is true.

Django 04-19-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei2008 View Post

The second link is edited and working now. I finally found the article. The ceremony of the completion of the factory was big deal since many high ranking VIPs attended.

The joint venture on the production of HD-DVD appears to be a significant cooperation between Fuh Yuan, Great Wall corporation and Wal-Mart.

O my God!

This is hard to believe.
I bet a lot of CE companies and movie studios in the BR camp are taking note.

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 07:41 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Wowsers.

Yep. 200x10000 machines = 2 million. (In Chinese, numbers are usually in tens of thousands, not thousands.)

As mentioned (and as some of us expected) the target list price is US$299.

Deja Vu 04-19-2007 07:42 PM

What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD! We have all heard Chinese HD DVD players were coming. This Wally World thing is news and if it pans out then Sony needs to "kill" HD DVD, and it had better do it right now because tomorrow will be too late! If two million inexpensive HD DVD players get to Wally World then this will put huge stress on BD and the supporting companies - ante up or get out. I'm looking forward to a $49 HD DVD player and a $99 BD player. Those guys who spent $1,000 + for a BD player won't be happy, but then again they can always sell it here for $19.95.

Cheers,

Grant

dad1153 04-19-2007 07:43 PM

Remember that scene in The Poseidon Adventure when Leslie Nielsen (the captain of the doomed ship) watches with binoculars a gigantic wave headed toward his ship and says My God in utter disbelief? Well, this announcement of Walmart ordering 2 million HD-DVD drives is that wave, Leslie Nielsen is your favorite hired gun for the BDA (Andy Parsons, Howard Stringer, Ken Kutagari, etc.) and the Poseidon ship is the Blu-ray strategy of profitability about to be turned on its head. And when that gigantic wave (i.e. under-$200 HD-DVD players at Walmart in time for Black Friday) hits later in 2007... look out!

BTW, who do we have to **** around here to make this thread a sticky? (**** = KISS! )

Django 04-19-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD! We have all heard Chinese HD DVD players were coming. This Wally World thing is news and if it pans out then Sony needs to "kill" HD DVD, and it had better do it right now because tomorrow will be too late! If two million inexpensive HD DVD players get to Wally World then this will put huge stress on BD and the supporting companies - ante up or get out. I'm looking forward to a $49 HD DVD player and a $99 BD player. Those guys who spent $1,000 + for a BD player won't be happy, but then again they can always sell it here for $19.95.

Cheers,

Grant

They are probably in shock right now.
But don't worry, they'll be digging something up in a minute.

Django 04-19-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Remember that scene in The Poseidon Adventure when Leslie Nielsen (the captain of the doomed ship) watches with binoculars a gigantic wave headed toward his ship and says My God in utter disbelief? Well, this announcement of Walmart ordering 2 million HD-DVD drives is that wave, Leslie Nielsen is your favorite hired gun for the BDA (Andy Parsons, Howard Stringer, Ken Kutagari, etc.) and the Poseidon ship is the Blu-ray strategy of profitability about to be turned on its head. And when that gigantic wave (i.e. under-$200 HD-DVD players at Walmart in time for Black Friday) hits later in 2007... look out!

BTW, who do we have to **** around here to make this thread a sticky? (**** = KISS! )

Lol

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 07:50 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Hmmm... The date on the article is April 16. I'm surprised this hasn't made the rounds earlier. Fu Yuan needs to work on its PR department.

BTW, at $50 a pop for the drive, perhaps that means we'll see the Xbox 360 add-on drive come down in price for Xmas. Even with the USB 2 enclosure and a remote, it seems that $129 would be a reasonable price. They can leave out the free HD DVD disc this time.

Deja Vu 04-19-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

I know and I can't wait. The lessons these guys can teach when it comes to spin are simply awe-inspiring!

Cheers,

Grant

dad1153 04-19-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

I know and I can't wait. The lessons these guys can teach when it comes to spin is simply awe-inspiring!

They only have to look up to our elected leaders for inspiration!

Technicolor 04-19-2007 07:57 PM

I bet they are making all those HD DVD drives for the PS3

thebland 04-19-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

What's really amazing about this thread is that no BD supporters have shown up to try and spin this news or spread FUD!

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

Django 04-19-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

They only have to look up to our elected leaders for inspiration!

Embarrassing but true.

nataraj 04-19-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

The best Richard could manage was this ...

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10345396

Quote:

I would wait and see what exactly this 2 million order forms is about before assuming something like that since so far there is a serious lack of information on what exactly Fuh Yuan is making/selling/expecting.

Django 04-19-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

I expected a better spin from you than that...see if you can do better.

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 08:01 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that?

Apparently Wal-Mart, to the tune of $100000000 US.

SteroMAdMAn 04-19-2007 08:02 PM

My reaction, if this is indeed true;

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4384/acedancepv4.gif

Django 04-19-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

The best Richard could manage was this ...

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10345396

LOL

Django 04-19-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

My reaction, if this is indeed true;

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4384/acedancepv4.gif

Lol.

Ditto brother!

nataraj 04-19-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Do you ever come down from the ivory tower or do you stay put there tending to all your white elephants ?

plazman 04-19-2007 08:08 PM

FWIW, it's working with folks like Fuh Yuan that made Wal Mart achieve revenues that rival the GDP of all but a handful of countries, and working exclusively with Panny, Pio, Sony etc. that is driving folks like Tweeter to bankruptcy....Wal-mart is where Americans shop. For good or for bad.:...

Django 04-19-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

FWIW, it's working with folks like Fuh Yuan that made Wal Mart achieve revenues that rival the GDP of all but a handful of countries, and working exclusively with Panny, Pio, Sony etc. that is driving folks like Tweeter to bankruptcy....Wal-mart is where Americans shop. For good or for bad.:...

I shop there.

thebland 04-19-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Apparently Wal-Mart, to the tune of $100000000 US.

I don't think so, the average Walmart customer is below the income level of Joe 6 pack at Best Buy. To buy a HD DVD player, they would likely surmise the need of an expensive plasma ($1.5K or more)....and movies that cost $25 -$40 each! Moreover, the movies are likely unavailable for rental at the local Blockbuster (and not found in the $5.99 bin either)... I think the demographic is all wrong. ...$299 HD DVD players and $30 movies are going to collect cob webs at Walmart.

theflux 04-19-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Wowsers.

Yep. 200x10000 machines = 2 million. (In Chinese, numbers are usually in tens of thousands, not thousands.)

I wonder how quickly it will come down in price.

SteroMAdMAn 04-19-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, thats why all of us here drive Bently's on $10k tires. Toyota? Pfft /lifts nose

C'mon man, at least throw in a good news for Blu-Ray! So at least you have a way out of such a silly comment..

thebland 04-19-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

Do you ever come down from the ivory tower or do you stay put there tending to all your white elephants ?

If $99 for a set of 4 tires is the Ivooy tower, then click your heals three times in succession and you'll be at Walmart!

thebland 04-19-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, thats why all of us here drive Bently's on $10k tires. Toyota? Pfft /lifts nose

Hey, I drive a Toyota!!! I can't afford a Bentley like you HD DVD buyers!!!

jwv651 04-19-2007 08:17 PM

I hate Walmart...but if they can put out a HD DVD player for under $200 I will purchase one for each of my (3) kids. I don't care if they are made by Fuh Yuan...after all my kids are quite happy with a Colby brand DVD player.

smiledr 04-19-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

I'm sure they are not marketed under Fuh Yuan and that they have another CE name they are going to release in the US. You'll be surprised how thrifty most Wal-Mart shoppers are and will buy anything they think that is as competitive for a lower price. Why, because they know if it doesn't work, they can simply return it no questions asked within a reasonable time frame. Just check out their return line and look in the return carts. Anything and everything is returned.

If the HD-DVD comes in to Wal-Mart at $99-199 and Blu-Ray is $399, they will buy HD-DVD and give it a try. If it's not up to par for whatever reason, then they'll return the HD-DVD and buy the BR at a higher price. When they see no improvement in PQ with BR, they will question why they bought such an expensive player, and back goes the Blu-Ray player. I see that scenerio playing itself out over and over at Wal-Mart. With Wal-mart investing in HD-DVD players, I see a big marketing push by Wal-Mart and their employees. I can already see HD-DVD hooked up to every HD Plasma and LCD come Christmas time playing A Christmas Story HD-DVD or Polar Express HD-DVD. So yeah, it might be cheap and of a lesser known name brand, but it's going to make an impact.

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 08:19 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I don't think so, the average Walmart customer is below the income level of Joe 6 pack at Best Buy. To buy a HD DVD player, they would likely surmise the need of an expensive plasma ($1.5K or more)....and movies that cost $25 -$40 each! Moreover, the movies are likely unavailable for rental at the local Blockbuster (and not found in the $5.99 bin either)... I think the demographic is all wrong. ...$299 HD DVD players and $30 movies are going to collect cob webs at Walmart.

Wal-Mart already sells both Blu-ray and HD DVD movies, and has been for the past year.

Strangely enough, they've recently raised prices at the Wal-Mart near my place. That's one of the reasons I no longer buy hi-def movies there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post

I wonder how quickly it will come down in price.

Well, if it's $299 list, I suspect it might just be significantly less than that early on.

FWIW, the $399 Toshiba went to $299 in some places pretty damn quickly, even though some of the big retailers still sell it for $399.

Mind you, if Wal-Mart controls all these players, then they might just lock it at $249-299 until the other brands drop their prices.

SteroMAdMAn 04-19-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Hey, I drive a Toyota!!! I can't afford a Bentley like you HD DVD buyers!!!

Sorry, someone should have told you Lexus is where its at, #1

You can't afford(or just don't allow yourself the budget) Bently, Lexus, just as the regular Wal-Mart shopper can't afford(doesn't allow themselves the budget) a $600 PS3 or $1k BD player.

Not saying you can't, JUST saying, for example. Cause I've seen your system some years ago. You could drive a REAL nice car if you wanted to

It's not that you just settled for less. You bought the best you could get for your budget and what you felt is important to you. The average Wal-Mart buyer isn't expecting or planning to buy a Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc. So I don't think they will care about whatever name it is they see.

thebland 04-19-2007 08:23 PM

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

Snickering Hound 04-19-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Wowsers.

Translation from the $299 url from Dictionary.com:

Lucky Yan attains the Wal-Mart big list

The lucky Yan electron yesterday (15) the sunset became located at the middle scientific and technical park's research and development transport business headquarters begins using, General Manager Deng Hongji announced that lucky Yan has received retail trade thumb Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart) to purchase 2,000,000 blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine order form, the aggregate amount amounts to 300,000,000 US dollars, before the end of next year, delivers the total.

Deng Hongji indicated that lucky Yan already and the mainland China Great Wall group cooperation blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine, will pick lucky Yan to meet the list, the Chinese Great Wall generation of labor production pattern. The Chinese Great Wall had decided that the investment luck Yan 5,000 ten thousand Yuan buy stock, the lucky Yan capital increases to 450,000,000 Yuan by 400,000,000 Yuan, and subscribes in July the public release, next year on second season stock cabinet.

Moreover, lucky Yan also with B& The Q special strength room serves under somebody's banner the subsidiary company U2 ID the cooperation, together will establish a new company, the production sale the e-Home family electric appliance control system which researches and develops by lucky Yan, swings the lamp which controls to control the system, predetermined in June in lucky Yan branch new factory production. Lucky Yan the earning 200,000,000 Yuan, did obeisance the Wal-Mart on a large scale under list purchase blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine approximately last year bestowing, next year the earning hope to increase.

Yesterday lucky Yan researched and developed transport business headquarters launching ceremony, by supervised Chair Qian Fu, branch administrative bureau Assistant Commissioner Chen Ming bright et al. to manage, produces official educational world near 200 people to arrive the congratulation. This transport business center invests 7,000 ten thousand Yuan, mainly tries the quantity as the lucky Yan's research and development transport business headquarters and the product to produce the base, this is also branch campus 29th finishes transport business manufacturer.

Lucky Yan establishes this year the full 16 years, initially was Eastern Han Dynasty funds the establishment before luck China Hotel group president the Liao, at present owns stocks approximately composes 2%. Lucky Yan researches and develops the production satellite automobile burglary protection system to build up, the nearly several annual product lines extend one after another to the fingerprint biotechnology, the zero family, the family security and so on products, most receives the market attention by the blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism.

This section of lucky Yan and Japanese TDK the cooperation research and development's blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism, flaunted that may let the phantom be more lifelike, the picture is more gorgeous. Deng Hongji said that at present this type's cassette mechanism, Phillips each selling price takes 599 US dollars, the new strength and Toshiba also take 499 US dollars, lucky Yan, so long as 299 US dollars, are the market competition tally company are.

Deng Hongji stressed that blue light HD-DVD and the present market DVD disc compatibility is very high, and does not need the disc card chest, reduces the manufacturer largely from the existing DVD transition the cost which needs to HD-DVD, the future market potential will be full.

And the caption under the picture of the guy holding the drive:

Lucky Yan General Manager Deng Hongji demonstrated that the blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism, under retail trade thumb Wal-Mart purchases 2,000,000 blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine only, the aggregate amount reaches as high as 300,000,000 US dollars.
Reporter Song Jian lives/the photography

jwv651 04-19-2007 08:25 PM

What ever happened to the Venture SHD7000 HD DVD player.???

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 08:25 PM

13 Attachment(s)
So, with a $50 HD DVD-ROM drive, what's the total Wal-Mart wholesale cost for the player (including absolutely everything)? $100 like that other poster suggested? $150?

Either way, the $199 does seem like an achievable target. The comments by some about possible players at $99 retail just seem like wishful thinking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

What ever happened to the Venture SHD7000 HD DVD player.???

Rumour had it coming out 2007 H2.

Quote:

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

Good question, but I suspect they'll have to lower the pricing back down to where they were a few months ago (or lower). Mind you, they probably raised the Blu-ray and HD DVD prices because they could get away with it for now. You can be damn well sure that I wasn't the only person at Wal-Mart buying them. And come Xmas, the prices will drop.

smiledr 04-19-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Sorry, someone should have told you Lexus is where its at, #1

You can't afford(or just don't allow yourself the budget) Bently, Lexus, just as the regular Wal-Mart shopper can't afford(doesn't allow themselves the budget) a $600 PS3 or $1k BD player.

Not saying you can't, JUST saying, for example. Cause I've seen your system some years ago. You could drive a REAL nice car if you wanted to

It's not that you just settled for less. You bought the best you could get for your budget and what you felt is important to you. The average Wal-Mart buyer isn't expecting or planning to buy a Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc. So I don't think they will care about whatever name it is they see.

From my personal experience, most don't care about name brand there. I've seen people fight over $24.99 no name brand DVD players many times. Don't know how many people I've seen buying APEX DVD players back when the likes of samsung, panasonic, and toshiba DVD players were going for $79 and APEX was like $39.99. As long as it can play DVD's and was cheaper, they went for it. I see the same thing happening with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

thebland 04-19-2007 08:29 PM

I just don't see low player prices + the need for a plasma as a small investment for most folks...Particularly with a small catalog of films..... It's too early to clamour around 'low' player prices.

SteroMAdMAn 04-19-2007 08:31 PM

Yeah, I know plenty of people that praised their Apex. Cause it played everything they downloaded and burned to DVD. Ugh, the pq was terrible but they loved it.

smiledr 04-19-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

I see prices dropping on the software as well, come Xmas. They will want to get these players moving and having cheaper software will help them do that.

BuGsArEtAsTy 04-19-2007 08:32 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I just don't see low player prices + the need for a plasma as a small investment for most folks...Particularly with a small catalog of films..... It's too early to clamour around 'low' player prices.

A very large minority of the J6P group already have HD TVs. When they buy a new optical disc player, it doesn't really hurt that much to spend $100 more to get one that plays HD DVDs as well as the traditional DVDs and CDs. It's the perfect Xmas gift for the family.

wnorris 04-19-2007 08:36 PM

The link provided here does NOT say the player will be $299, FYI. This is a misinterpretation.

What it does say is that with the Phillips HD player (a BD player BTW) with a list price of $599, and Toshiba HD-DVD with a list price of $499, they estimate the price where they would have the market advantage to be $299.

So as MSRP's drop, the market advantage price point drops. The can also sell below the advantage point.

Also, I think people are also misinterpreting what is being said when the translator returns "machine core". This is not a bare drive. This is a complete player. Calling it a "machine core" is a flaw in the online translators. Toshiba's $499 device is also a "machine core". We all know that was the old price for the A2 (or the currenct MSRP for the A20).

Based on that, I think it means Wal-Mart is paying $50 for a complete, assembled player.

I would expect them to street here closer to $199 than $299.

wnorris 04-19-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Denial city ....