HD-A1 VS HDXA2.....Should I make that move ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I have a HD-A1 now. I have the latest firmware 2.2 which has tamed most of the glitches of the unit, but I am wondering should I make the move now for an XA2 or should I wait for an even better player ? How much better is the XA2 than the A1 ?

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im actually wondering the same thing. I initially got my RCA because I needed analog out for the audio. But now I have an HDMI receiver so that isnt an issue anymore. Just wondering it it is worth upgrading since I havent had any issues, or just wait a while and see what shakes out.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
browse around some of the other threads, there's a wealth of info on the XA2 and comparisons to the A1

I had the A1 since day one and just upgraded to the XA2. I got a great price for it, so I'm extremely happy with it. A few things I love about it:

- 1080p of course
- faster all around (boot-up, loading the discs)
- great upconversion of SD discs, the best I've seen or owned
- 3 custom picture settings you can apply to HD or SD discs
- backllt remote
- sleeker build, love the all black design
- coaxil output (not so much a benefit because the A1 had it also but seems like the newer generation players only have optical)

I'm not a big audio guy so I can't really tell you what benefits it holds in that area.

hope that helps some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My main concerns are : increased stability and better audio codecs. I also wonder how much I can get for my used A1 ?

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #5 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

My main concerns are : increased stability and better audio codecs. I also wonder how much I can get for my used A1 ?

the XA2 is faster and more reliable than my old A1. I could not even get thru 80% of netflix movies. I sold my A1 for $300 shipped on ebay. That you are even asking the question leads me to believe that your A1 is doing OK. If so I think I would keep if and trade up to a G3 player around xmas.

that being said i i hated my a1 and I LOVE my xa2

Tim
post #6 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a PS3 and the load times for the A1 sometimes just kills the fun. The unreliability with my Netflix movies always makes it a tossup as to whether I can finish a movie......still haven't seen the end of Miami Vice (although I doubt I am missing much). With the new firmware it seems to act a little better, but one more missed movie and the A1 has to go. I would prefer to wait until summer though, doubt I can wait until Xmas.

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #7 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a PS3 and the load times for the A1 sometimes just kills the fun. The unreliability with my Netflix movies always makes it a tossup as to whether I can finish a movie......still haven't seen the end of Miami Vice (although I doubt I am missing much). With the new firmware it seems to act a little better, but one more missed movie and the A1 has to go. I would prefer to wait until summer though, doubt I can wait until Xmas.

thats where I was....one night i was watchign a movie that froze my A1, and by chance i logged onto here and saw the price drop to under $600 and listed my A1 and ordered the XA2...never regretted it once.

Tim
post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

MY A1 got through a couple of movies this weekend with much of a problem, but I have to admit to itching for an XA2. Just wondering if any new players are on the horizon ?

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #9 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Mixdoctor,

Depends on your A1. If its glitchy (and not for known problem disc), then get rid of the darn thing. If it isn't, use that XA2 money to get a BluRay player.

Where I have a problem is that I think there is something wrong with how several disc are manufacturered that are causing problems for 2nd generation players and not 1st generation players. So going from a A1 to a XA2 may only swap problems.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the A1 since July. Great machine. Very few problems with disks. Good upscaling sd dvd player. But I wanted speed now, 1080p, and the things I heard about the Reon chip and upscaling of the XA2 well I broke down and got it this past weekend. What a beauty. I've been watching more sd than high def too! As an upscaling player it is fantastic. As a HD DVD player it is light years faster than the A1. I'm so happy with the upscaling abilities of the XA2 I rented sd disks just to enjoy what it can do.

Bottom line, get it. One of the best tech purchases I've made.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I made the move about 2 months back. Glad I did.

I personally have not had 1 stuttering/lip sync issue with the XA2. I had tons of them with my A1.

PQ wise looks the same to me for HD DVD and AQ via HDMI outputting PCM sounds the same as well but the player boots up MUCH faster, is more responsive, and looks better IMO.

I also have set up one of the picture settings for upconverting and it does a fine job at that too (but after viewing HD DVD, you get spoiled )

-Evangelo2
post #12 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I've been debating this same move. I had swore that I wouldn't get another HD player due to the format war and some skipping problems with my A1.

The latest firmware update on the A1 seems to have reduced skipping problems to a few "bugs" with titles that have known problems.

I'm feeling like HD DVD will be doing a LOT better by the end of the year too. I have a buddy toying with the idea of HD DVD. If he wants my A1 for $200 I will probably get an XA2 for my bday in a few weeks.

I don't think we will see the G3 machines until next spring. What's the startup time on the XA2?
post #13 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I used to own an A1 and I upgraded to the XA2 and I have to say that it's worth every penny. Not only hass the XA2 an even better (SD) picture quality, is it more futureproof (HDMI 1.3/1080p) but it looks so much nicer, is a lot faster and it plays my backups DVD+R (created with dvdxcopy).

Bottom line is that I would go for the XA2 without a doubt.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I've been debating this same move. I had swore that I wouldn't get another HD player due to the format war and some skipping problems with my A1.

The latest firmware update on the A1 seems to have reduced skipping problems to a few "bugs" with titles that have known problems.

I'm feeling like HD DVD will be doing a LOT better by the end of the year too. I have a buddy toying with the idea of HD DVD. If he wants my A1 for $200 I will probably get an XA2 for my bday in a few weeks.

I don't think we will see the G3 machines until next spring. What's the startup time on the XA2?

Exactly how I felt. I figured I would try to keep my A1 around a little longer until either more hybrid players came out or Toshiba came out with a really kick ass player. Maybe the XA2 will be the closest we'll get until next year ? Either way if I could get $200 for my player clean, I might make that move to an X2.

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #15 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Exactly how I felt. I figured I would try to keep my A1 around a little longer until either more hybrid players came out or Toshiba came out with a really kick ass player. Maybe the XA2 will be the closest we'll get until next year ? Either way if I could get $200 for my player clean, I might make that move to an X2.

FWIW, keep your A1 for the analog sound alone. The audio DACs are Burr-Brown and first-rate. Even as a CD player, it shines.

But get an XA2 for the SD picture quality, if that is important to you. I have not been able to find a good analog audio comparison between the two units on this forum, although lots of people have talked about LFE levels and the like.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see no reason to get rid of my A1
post #17 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 424
The concern I have about the XA2 is the same about all the 2nd generation Toshibas. While they do fine with store bought HD-DVDs they stutter and choke on the higher bit rate of 25 mbps HDV 1080i60 camcorder video burned onto red laser disks.

The 1st generation players still hold that important advantage, regrettably.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page