HD DVD Master Firmware Burning Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 235 Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor View Post

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.

Thanks to e_professor... using this freeware I was able to perform this quickly and painlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 235 Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've tried this a dozen times, using all 3 of my CD burning utilities (including Nero). Every time I try, they say it is not a valid ISO. I've created disks from ISOs, for other purposes before, before......no idea what to do now, but I am becoming seriously frustrated! I have a rented HD-DVD movie from Netflix that I have been unable to play for the past two weeks!

John
post #33 of 235 Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

I've tried this a dozen times, using all 3 of my CD burning utilities (including Nero). Every time I try, they say it is not a valid ISO. I've created disks from ISOs, for other purposes before, before......no idea what to do now, but I am becoming seriously frustrated! I have a rented HD-DVD movie from Netflix that I have been unable to play for the past two weeks!
John

Did it verify after you burned it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 235 Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM

I use magiciso to burn iso file to dvd. it does a good job.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm
post #35 of 235 Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You cannot due a straight copy. In Nero you need to start a new compliation and hit cancel. You go up to "recorder" under your menus and choose "burn image"
You then will be promted to select a iso file. Burn the iso at 8x or less.
post #36 of 235 Old 08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Active ISO Burner works on any CD:

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm
post #37 of 235 Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

Did it verify after you burned it?

The ISO is invalid. The software will not even try to burn it!
post #38 of 235 Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

It sounds like the image file itself is corrupted. Have you tried re-downloading the file again? If so, what is the exact name and file size (in bytes) of the file? I'll compare it to the 2.3 image I used to upgrade my HD-A1.
post #39 of 235 Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Did you try Active ISO Burner?Believe me it works,I was making coasters until I used ISO Burner on a CD-R/W.
post #40 of 235 Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlankton View Post

For you fellow mac users, the excellent burning program Toast won't work with the firmware images for some reason. It produces a coaster every time. The mac os Disc Utility works just fine though.

Hi, I'm trying to download the update (didn't think I could with mac, it says it won't mount).

I've been trying to update my player (got it tonight) for over an hour now, hooked it up directly and it can't find the server, I've entered in my ip, I can't figure this out.

I'll keep reading and also if anyone live in the Bergen County area and has made a disc, let me know!

I think I'm version 1.0 on my player and have been checking out discs, 300 played no problem, (only watched first 10 minutes) my "superbit" version of the 5th element looked amazing most of the time, as did IMAX nascar disc.

T2 looked pretty good at times, certainly not being mistaken for hi-def though like 5th element and the imax disc. 12 monkeys didn't blow me away with picture quality.

Unforgiven and Ghost Rider on my PS3 blu-ray looked awesome, I'm going to have to compare the upscaling ability of the ps3 using 5th element and imax nascar to see if it can compete with the a20.

Will the firmware update for my a20 make a big difference in picture quality, etc?
post #41 of 235 Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120 inch lcd View Post

Hi, I'm trying to download the update (didn't think I could with mac, it says it won't mount).

I've been trying to update my player (got it tonight) for over an hour now, hooked it up directly and it can't find the server, I've entered in my ip, I can't figure this out.

I'll keep reading and also if anyone live in the Bergen County area and has made a disc, let me know!

I think I'm version 1.0 on my player and have been checking out discs, 300 played no problem, (only watched first 10 minutes) my "superbit" version of the 5th element looked amazing most of the time, as did IMAX nascar disc.

T2 looked pretty good at times, certainly not being mistaken for hi-def though like 5th element and the imax disc. 12 monkeys didn't blow me away with picture quality.

Unforgiven and Ghost Rider on my PS3 blu-ray looked awesome, I'm going to have to compare the upscaling ability of the ps3 using 5th element and imax nascar to see if it can compete with the a20.

Will the firmware update for my a20 make a big difference in picture quality, etc?

If you don't have any luck updating with a burn cd or downloading, just call Customer Service and they'll mail you a disk, it may take a little longer but you know it's coming. Or maybe if you have a friend with a PC vice a MAC then ask them to burn one for ya.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Owner
post #42 of 235 Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have been updating mine with a mac for 3 or 4 versions. I used instructions I got on the "Toshiba: 1st gen FW 2.2 available- see first post for FW ISO" thread. It has always worked fine for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhankz

Use Disk Utilities found in the Application folder under utilities.
Once Disk Utilities is launched - go under the IMAGES menu
and select OPEN - Navigate to where you have the ISO file
and OPEN it. Then just click the BURN button.

post #43 of 235 Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor View Post

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.

Sure helped me, I dug out my old pc (I'll try it with my mac next time, thanks for the tip to the other poster).

These things always take forever for me because I don't speak computer, (that's why I went to all apple stuff) but I somehow managed to burn the disc, (didn't change the speed, it used the default speed of the disc) and it worked like a charm.

I had no problem watching 300 with 1.0, watched some more of it with the update, don't know if I could really tell a difference, your mind plays trick on you with this stuff.

I can tell a HUGE difference with this new tv, I got the sony 60A2020, I moved my XS55 to my bedroom, and as luck would have it CARS is on in HD right now, it looks insane on the new tv, very nice on the xs, but not nearly as bright and color popping as the new tv. Where will this madness end? When will they start converting movies into holographic images?
post #44 of 235 Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 View Post

Thanks to e_professor... using this freeware I was able to perform this quickly and painlessly.

Quote:

Sure helped me, I dug out my old pc (I'll try it with my mac next time, thanks for the tip to the other poster).

These things always take forever for me because I don't speak computer, (that's why I went to all apple stuff) but I somehow managed to burn the disc, (didn't change the speed, it used the default speed of the disc) and it worked like a charm.

I had no problem watching 300 with 1.0, watched some more of it with the update, don't know if I could really tell a difference, your mind plays trick on you with this stuff.

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

I'd also have to say thanks to the guys who've created ISO-specific burning utility to save us the trouble of possibly making coasters.
post #45 of 235 Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone used DiscJuggler from Padus to burn the downloadable ISO file? I have downloaded it twice now, it is 37.2 MB just like reported here, but Padus says the ISO file is not a valid CD image file.

I'm comfortable with the process and understand the difference between burning an ISO file and just copying it to disc. I've used this software to burn ISO files on a number of occasions for different reasons.

I'd prefer not to install anything else as I trust this software and have had problems with 2 burning packages before.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit - Nevermind. I did download the active ISO burner as it doesn't do an install - I like that! Still couldn't burn, but I must have had a bad CD-RW. Burned to a CD-R and the update went fine.

Don't understand why DiscJuggler didn't recognize the ISO file as it has for so many others in the past, but at least I'm good to go now.
post #46 of 235 Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

You can go directly to 2.3. Also, for the most part, upgrading via burned disc is quite safe. The majority of problems people are having with burned discs are either that the disc cannot be read in the player period or that the firmware upgrade craps out midway through the upgrade. Neither of those situations should harm the player.

I've upgraded to firmware versions 2.0 and 2.2 via the internet, and to 2.3 via burned disk and all ended well. The firmware update did crap out once or twice while using the internet upgrade method, but as I mentioned no harm was done to the player. Simply restart it and try again.

Hope this helps .

Just want to make sure I understand this, while I'm waiting for my A2 to arrive. We do not have to install the FirmWare updates in succession? We can go directly to the latest one? This is very much not the way it usually works, so I wanted to ask.
Hypothetically speaking, if my player arrives with 1.0 installed I can go directly to 2.3?

Thanks.
Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #47 of 235 Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Just want to make sure I understand this, while I'm waiting for my A2 to arrive. We do not have to install the FirmWare updates in succession? We can go directly to the latest one? This is very much not the way it usually works, so I wanted to ask.
Hypothetically speaking, if my player arrives with 1.0 installed I can go directly to 2.3?

Thanks.
Rudy

That is correct. The firmware revisions are cumulative, so you can go directly to 2.3 from 1.0. Just make sure you apply the firmware intended for the A2 series of players rather than the A1 series!
post #48 of 235 Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 121
As I type this my XA2 is getting a 2.2 update--already flashing "Step 5"--so far so good--knocking on wood.

I struggled mightily with this for almost two hours; tried RecordNow and ImgBurn and kept getting wierd errors, then downloaded Iso-Burner and it would hang at 1.1% burned. Tried CD-R (made coasters) and CD-RW to no avail; I even DL'ed the FW ISO file again.

Finally I took Iso-Burner and the ISO file to another, new PC whose CD burner I'd never used before--it worked straight-off, no problems at all, using a CD-RW. Guess my Pioneer DVR-109 is losing its CD mind. Funny, it makes DVDs w/no problem at all.

I guess though "all's well that ends well" and I discovered my new PC is a heckuva CD burner!

Just heard a "clunk"--oh my, they said the update would take 30 minutes and my XA2 shut-down after just 10. Hmmm, seems shorter from "Welcome" to "HD-DVD" than before. Check Maintenance screen. Yup, I'm up to 2.2! Thanks to the poster here who linked to Iso-Burner!
post #49 of 235 Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just burnt 4 coasters before I finally got the 5th to work.

My recommendation is this: if you have burned one coaster already using a method you thought would work - immediately stop and go back to the first post.

I tried a Roxio program I already had, the Active ISO burner, and the Toshiba utility and they all created discs that wouldn't read right in the HD-A2.

Please, note that YOU CAN GET NERO FOR FREE. Just go to their website, download the trial version of Nero 7 - and it will do the job perfectly.

I wish somebody would have written earlier that Nero is the thing that absolutely works best AND THAT an easy-to-download FREE version exists.

The reason I tried everything else before the first post is because I assumed, Nero wasn't free - that other programs would work as well - and that the who process was pretty cut and dry.

But I think the Toshiba ISO file you download is finicky about the burning software - so thus FREE NERO IS YOUR BEST BET.

Ok, thank you and good night.
post #50 of 235 Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

As I type this my XA2 is getting a 2.2 update--already flashing "Step 5"--so far so good--knocking on wood.

I struggled mightily with this for almost two hours; tried RecordNow and ImgBurn and kept getting wierd errors, then downloaded Iso-Burner and it would hang at 1.1% burned. Tried CD-R (made coasters) and CD-RW to no avail; I even DL'ed the FW ISO file again.

Finally I took Iso-Burner and the ISO file to another, new PC whose CD burner I'd never used before--it worked straight-off, no problems at all, using a CD-RW. Guess my Pioneer DVR-109 is losing its CD mind. Funny, it makes DVDs w/no problem at all.

I guess though "all's well that ends well" and I discovered my new PC is a heckuva CD burner!

Just heard a "clunk"--oh my, they said the update would take 30 minutes and my XA2 shut-down after just 10. Hmmm, seems shorter from "Welcome" to "HD-DVD" than before. Check Maintenance screen. Yup, I'm up to 2.2! Thanks to the poster here who linked to Iso-Burner!

I had the 1.1 percent error as well on a CD-RW disc that I thought was good, but it worked with the first CD-R disc I tried. I'm still curious why some programs do not recognize the ISO as a valid image file, but all is good that ends good I guess, as I am up to 2.2 on my A2.
post #51 of 235 Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoZorro View Post

I'm still curious why some programs do not recognize the ISO as a valid image file

I suspect some programs are examining the content of the ISO and rejecting it, since it's a non-standard format special to Toshiba's HD-DVD player.

I think also this might cause some burning sw's Verify step to fail, cuz Windows can't make any sense of what was just burned!?
post #52 of 235 Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Toshiba utility was the only program I could get to work.
post #53 of 235 Old 09-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Thanks guys, i did exactly what you guys said at the begining and it worked beautifully for my HDa2. I couldn't start watching Heroes until i got it updated, and finally got it started.
post #54 of 235 Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Could someone post a quick answer please...

I am getting in an XA2 today (my WIFE is picking it up from one of her mall trips).

Have successfully DLd 2.2 onto a disc and loaded it to my D2 (A2). Is the firmware the same for the XA2 or will I need to burn another disc? The toshiba website seems to indicate there is just one version for all players, but when downloading it asks you to select your player model, so am not sure.

Am running out of discs until my next run to the tech store, so don't want to waste any, yes I know they are cheep but so am I.
post #55 of 235 Old 09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 View Post

Have successfully DLd 2.2 onto a disc and loaded it to my D2 (A2). Is the firmware the same for the XA2 or will I need to burn another disc? The toshiba website seems to indicate there is just one version for all players, but when downloading it asks you to select your player model, so am not sure.

The iso filename has XA2 in it IIRC--my guess is that if you insert your disc into the XA2 it will be rejected. In any case I would not risk it for a $0.10 disc!!!
post #56 of 235 Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm on a Mac, and I tried several times to burn with Disk Utility and with Toast. Toast wouldn't produce a readable disc at all. DU would burn a disc that the my HD-D2 would read, and ask me "Do you want to update the version?" However, once I chose "Yes," it gave me the error "Can not find out server." which seems odd, since I would think at that point it should be trying to update from the disc instead of the server.

Anyway, I finally just gave up and moved it into another room where I could plug in an Ethernet cable, and it's currently flashing "DOWNLOAD 23/38" as the screen says "Updating. Do not turn off." So, looking good, although if it had wi-fi built in, I wouldn't have had to move it at all.

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to watch 300 all the way through after this. Last night, my wife and I had to flip over to the DVD side halfway through, which was a major disappointment. 300 looks really crappy in SD.

Producer and Host, The Optical podcast

Current Gear:
An ailing Epson Home Cinema 6100, Scratch-built 105" 16:9 screen, tSc 7.1 speakers, Denon AVR-1909
post #57 of 235 Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New to the whole HDM deal and decided on the HD-A2 first, loving it btw!

I was having issues trying to get my new HD-A2 to upgrade to FW2.2. I tried using Nero 7 (burns but gets an error on the HD-A2) and MagicISO (won't recognize the image/ISO in the program hence won't burn). I tried the ActiveISO posted and it worked the first time around so for anyone having troubles, before swapping different CD-Rs, try ActiveISO (btw, i used a Memorex CD-R)

I'm also having difficulties trying to get the HD-A2 to communicate with my router. No upgrade there either. That'll be another conversation, just going to play around with that some more as well as searching before I get into new posts trying to get it to work.

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #58 of 235 Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

New to the whole HDM deal and decided on the HD-A2 first, loving it btw!

I was having issues trying to get my new HD-A2 to upgrade to FW2.2. I tried using Nero 7 (burns but gets an error on the HD-A2) and MagicISO (won't recognize the image/ISO in the program hence won't burn). I tried the ActiveISO posted and it worked the first time around so for anyone having troubles, before swapping different CD-Rs, try ActiveISO (btw, i used a Memorex CD-R)

I'm also having difficulties trying to get the HD-A2 to communicate with my router. No upgrade there either. That'll be another conversation, just going to play around with that some more as well as searching before I get into new posts trying to get it to work.

Did you try the Toshiba cd maker program
post #59 of 235 Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Did you try the Toshiba cd maker program

No I did not but I was going to try that after the ActiveISO. So in a way, I got it to work first time around and no need to try anything else. Wondering why Nero 7 or MagicISO didn't work...

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #60 of 235 Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I created a firmware disc with total ease using Nero Express 6 (freebie software that I got with a DVD burner I bought about a year ago). I wonder if a lot of the problems arise because people are using junk media? I only use MIJ Taiyo Yuden CD-R's (Fuji branded).

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page