HD DVD Master Firmware Burning Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 235 Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

New to the whole HDM deal and decided on the HD-A2 first, loving it btw!

I was having issues trying to get my new HD-A2 to upgrade to FW2.2. I tried using Nero 7 (burns but gets an error on the HD-A2) and MagicISO (won't recognize the image/ISO in the program hence won't burn). I tried the ActiveISO posted and it worked the first time around so for anyone having troubles, before swapping different CD-Rs, try ActiveISO (btw, i used a Memorex CD-R)

I'm also having difficulties trying to get the HD-A2 to communicate with my router. No upgrade there either. That'll be another conversation, just going to play around with that some more as well as searching before I get into new posts trying to get it to work.

I think I had good luck using ActiveISO it seem to copy and finalize effortlessly after first opening the firmware zip file. Now I go in to my PIO and get an error message: no network available or something like that. Using a HDMI but I am burning-in my PDP and have not hooked up any speakers - just the A2 could this be the problem? Show to load and when asked to update I get that error.... Any suggestions?

dv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 235 Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 AM

I have a question, and maybe this isn't appropriate for this thread so I apologize in advance...more of a discussion/opinion piece I guess.

My question: do you think that, given all the problems involved with installing firmware updates and the relative difficulty that it presents for the average, non-techie American (acknowledging that members of this forum are considerably more tech-savvy than the average American), that this player/format/technology is ready for prime-time, mass distribution?

Seems to me like the steps we're talking about to actually get the appropriate software installed so that it can actually even play most discs without problems is extremely complex (downloading, burning cds, etc.). Is the device really plug-and-play ready?
post #63 of 235 Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac88 View Post

I have a question, and maybe this isn't appropriate for this thread so I apologize in advance...more of a discussion/opinion piece I guess.

My question: do you think that, given all the problems involved with installing firmware updates and the relative difficulty that it presents for the average, non-techie American (acknowledging that members of this forum are considerably more tech-savvy than the average American), that this player/format/technology is ready for prime-time, mass distribution?

Seems to me like the steps we're talking about to actually get the appropriate software installed so that it can actually even play most discs without problems is extremely complex (downloading, burning cds, etc.). Is the device really plug-and-play ready?

This is actually a worthy topic for a thread of its own. I have my own opinions on the matter, but I'd do agree that it's probably right not to clog this thread up with them. Start a new thread however, and I'll be there presently to add my unique ramblings .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 235 Old 09-07-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

...do you think that, given all the problems involved with installing firmware updates...that this player/format/technology is ready for prime-time, mass distribution?

That's why Toshiba includes postcards with their players; what could be easier than sending-in a postcard and getting an update CD in the mail?
post #65 of 235 Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 AM

I guess what would be easier would be if the thing worked correctly right out of the box, like my regular DVD player. And my old VCR. And my receiver, and most of my other Consumer Electronics.
post #66 of 235 Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A partial explanation from Toshiba's User Guides:

Quote:
The HD DVD player operates more like a computer and differently than a standard DVD player, In addition to containing a microprocessor, it contains an operating system, random access memory (RAM), and an HD DVD drive. The operating system include software that is transferred to the RAM when the machine is turned on and at other times during operation. This transfer can take time. Therefore, when you turn the HD DVD player on, it may take a little while before it is ready to use. Likewise, other functions may not be performed as quickly as they would on other AV equipment. Please take these factors into consideration as you use the HD DVD player.

This technology is an order-of-magnitude more sophisticated than anything before attempted wrt at least movie playback, what with interactive menus, pop-ups, pip, web interaction, etc. Given all the software involved both on the discs and in the players, I for one am MORE THAN glad, ecstatic even, for not one but TWO means to update firmware in my player, not only to fix glitches, but also to provide future enhancements. If You don't like it, nobody is holding a gun to your head to invest in it.
post #67 of 235 Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

A partial explanation from Toshiba's User Guides:

This technology is an order-of-magnitude more sophisticated than anything before attempted wrt at least movie playback, what with interactive menus, pop-ups, pip, web interaction, etc. Given all the software involved both on the discs and in the players, I for one am MORE THAN glad, ecstatic even, for not one but TWO means to update firmware in my player, not only to fix glitches, but also to provide future enhancements. If You don't like it, nobody is holding a gun to your head to invest in it.

Agree and it's actually THREE ways to update: Ethernet, burn-your-own, or get from Tosh.

The unwashed masses (of which I surely am not a member ) also buy lots of PCs and Macs. Ok, forget the Macs, but the PCs are not any less difficult to figure out than the easiest option, that of requesting the disc. Although I agree it would probably be a pain actually getting it, but that's not a tech issue.

I count myself as moderately tech-savvy. That is, I use the common toys: digital camera, cellphone, etc. But none of them at a very sophisticated level, and I actually avoid things like PDAs, flash drives, webcams, etc because my life is busy enough without them. I use a PC extensively for work so have gotten familiar with its quirks. I was able to read this thread and get the image burned for the update, and then installed without a hitch.

Also agree that OOB operation like the gizmos of old would be cool. I'm betting this is coming, maybe 2-3 years away though.
post #68 of 235 Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 View Post

Also agree that OOB operation like the gizmos of old would be cool.

I don't disagree that all gizmos should work "as advertised" OOB, but there is always something that isn't perfect though, or that you wished worked slightly differently, isn't there? I'm saying I actually would prefer that "my regular DVD player. And my old VCR. And my receiver, and most of my other Consumer Electronics" all had re-programmable firmware so they could be tweaked & updated where necessary or possible.
post #69 of 235 Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlankton View Post

For you fellow mac users, the excellent burning program Toast won't work with the firmware images for some reason. It produces a coaster every time. The mac os Disc Utility works just fine though.

how do you get the mac os disc utility to work? im not sure what to do
post #70 of 235 Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
nevermind got it to work. thanks for the tip I kept using toast and was wondering why it wouldnt work
post #71 of 235 Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

No I did not but I was going to try that after the ActiveISO. So in a way, I got it to work first time around and no need to try anything else. Wondering why Nero 7 or MagicISO didn't work...

cuco33 you need to go into the settings of the DVD player and perform the networking setup that the manual outlines on pages 45 and 46. DHCP and DNS are set to off by default. So you need to go there and turn them on. Then you should be able to upgrade through your Ethernet without a problem. I received my player today, A2, and did the upgrade over the Ethernet. As a bonus the player knows which firmware to download and install. The whole process took less then 30 minutes.

I hooked up the A2 to my KDSR50XBR1 with a 1.3a HDMI cable and even standard definition DVD looked incredible. I watched "The Lives of Others" in wide screen. Used the entire width of my screen. Beautiful. I can't wait to see what HD DVD looks like.

Good Luck.
Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #72 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Hey Rudy - which firmware version did you pull down via ethernet? I've been waiting to hear about 2.5 being available through Ethernet as I don't have a CD burner (I know, I know). Currently I've only read reports of 2.2 being available for the A2 over Ethernet.

And I agree on the quality...I've had my A2 for a week and the SD DVDs are clearly looking a mile better than my old DVD player. And HD, well, gamechanging.
post #73 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM

My ethernet nor my burned CD with the ISO image was able to allow me to update my A2 to 2.5. I kept getting an error that says the player is already updated. Any ideas anyone? I am currently running 2.2.
post #74 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeBBY View Post

My ethernet nor my burned CD with the ISO image was able to allow me to update my A2 to 2.5. I kept getting an error that says the player is already updated. Any ideas anyone? I am currently running 2.2.

Are you in the USA. I only mention that because Toshiba Canada does not have the 2.5 firmware available for download yet.
post #75 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Are you in the USA. I only mention that because Toshiba Canada does not have the 2.5 firmware available for download yet.

Yes sir I am in the states. I don't understand how I can update my A2 without a hitch and now all of a sudden it not work. Very inconsistent. Maybe the reason they did not release the Canadian version yet was because they have been having some problems with the updating of the A2's in the states even though quite a few people have done it and had it work just fine for them.
post #76 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes sir I am in the states. I don't understand how I can update my A2 without a hitch and now all of a sudden it not work. Very inconsistent. Maybe the reason they did not release the Canadian version yet was because they have been having some problems with the updating of the A2's in the states even though quite a few people have done it and had it work just fine for them.

I'm not sure what the problem is then. I updated my A2 from 2.2 to 2.5 with no problems at all. Sorry I couldn't help.
post #77 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:47 AM

Eh no worries, I work in IT, problems like these are expected with me. . I can just wait until 2.6 comes out. I only wanted to try this now because I have been hearing a lot that this has cured a lot of the Matrix Reloaded loading problems from the Ultimate Collection.
post #78 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Eh no worries, I work in IT, problems like these are expected with me. . I can just wait until 2.6 comes out. I only wanted to try this now because I have been hearing a lot that this has cured a lot of the Matrix Reloaded loading problems from the Ultimate Collection.

I would try sending an email to Toshiba support. Can't hurt.
post #79 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor View Post

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!!! After wasting a hour or so making coasters with Roxio (full licensed version), I tried ActiveISO on my Windows XP PC. The link above downloads a single excecutable file that apparently does one and only one thing - burn ISO images to CDs (I think that is why it works well). Download of the Toshiba ISO file only takes a minute or two. Less for ActiveISO. This burned a flawless CD (TDK CD-R media) in less than a minute. That's less than 5 minutes total.

A20 update: "VERUP" and then steps 1 through 4 completed in approximately 3 minutes. Step 5 of 5 only took about 7 minutes (I was watching the clock but not really timing it). Those having problems may wish to try ActiveISO.
post #80 of 235 Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Those having problems may wish to try ActiveISO.

I gotta vouch for ActiveISO as well. I made about 5 coasters using Roxio and Nero, and then downloaded ActiveIso and took one shot, and it worked perfectly. I also used ActiveIso to burn the break-in DVD for my new plasma. That worked flawlessly as well. ISO burning seems to be so fickle, I am happy to know about this easy and effective software.
post #81 of 235 Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.

I just tried burning the CD for the XA 2 firmware update 2.5.

The Active ISO software reports success in burning the CD. However when l look at the CD contents in Windows Explorer it appears to be blank, . However if I look at properties of the CD it shows 58.5 MB used. Someone else in the thread mentioned that Toshiba uses a proprietary ISO file format.

I just want to confirm that even though the CD appears to be empty that it has burned properly.

Thanks in advance.
post #82 of 235 Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1234 View Post

The Active ISO software reports success in burning the CD. However when l look at the CD contents in Windows Explorer it appears to be blank, . However if I look at properties of the CD it shows 58.5 MB used. Someone else in the thread mentioned that Toshiba uses a proprietary ISO file format.

I just want to confirm that even though the CD appears to be empty that it has burned properly.

Thanks in advance.

That's normal. Windows may or may not be able to identify the contents of the disk for the reasons you mentioned, so just stick it in the player and see if it likes the disk or not. It'll either prompt you to upgrade or give you an error message about a bad disk. The machine does error checking during the upgrade process so there's very little chance of your machine getting hosed due to a badly burned disk - It'll either work or it won't.
post #83 of 235 Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Rudy - which firmware version did you pull down via ethernet? I've been waiting to hear about 2.5 being available through Ethernet as I don't have a CD burner (I know, I know). Currently I've only read reports of 2.2 being available for the A2 over Ethernet.

And I agree on the quality...I've had my A2 for a week and the SD DVDs are clearly looking a mile better than my old DVD player. And HD, well, gamechanging.

Hey randy.

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town. To be honest with you I didn't even bother checking to see which version was up. I simply accepted the one it offered me and let it go on its merry way.
I'll check the number tonight and let you know.

Rudy

Edit: OK I checked the firmware tonight and it is 2.2. I'll leave it at that until 2.5 is available over the Ethernet seeing how many problems people are having when upgrading with a disc.

post #84 of 235 Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Another thank you for posting the active ISO link. Tried several times to update through my A2 kept getting the no server msg. D/L the link that was provided, unzipped it, burned at 4x and was done in less than 10 minutes. I'm now up to date. Easy as pie and I know nothing about computers. Many Thanks!!!!! -jp
post #85 of 235 Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Why does the 2.5 download have two iso files?
post #86 of 235 Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1234 View Post

Thanks in advance.

I would agree that it is probably proprietary - my DVD burning software wouldn't recognize it as a valid ISO, but Active ISO did.
post #87 of 235 Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Why does the 2.5 download have two iso files?

One is for Mac and one is for Windows.
post #88 of 235 Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that 2.5 is now available over the ethernet/internet.

Rudy

post #89 of 235 Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Hope it helps.

Thanks a bunch - this helped A LOT ... I tried many things - my copy of Roxio on my new HP VISTA machine did not work for this - IMGBURN did not ... I used the freebee NERO download the last upgrade but that expired and would not let me reinstall ... the toshiba burning utility setup would run, but it didn't install anything and I tried twice !!! ..... this app is very small, and worked PERFECTLY with some old crappy cheapo CDs as well ... I will now use this for all updates of this sort - many thanks for taking the time to suggest it ...I would HIGHLY recommend e-professors approach here for ANYONE having problems with burning ...
post #90 of 235 Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfontaine View Post

Thanks a bunch - this helped A LOT ... I tried many things - my copy of Roxio on my new HP VISTA machine did not work for this - IMGBURN did not ... I used the freebee NERO download the last upgrade but that expired and would not let me reinstall ... the toshiba burning utility setup would run, but it didn't install anything and I tried twice !!! ..... this app is very small, and worked PERFECTLY with some old crappy cheapo CDs as well ... I will now use this for all updates of this sort - many thanks for taking the time to suggest it ...I would HIGHLY recommend e-professors approach here for ANYONE having problems with burning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Thanks!!! After wasting a hour or so making coasters with Roxio (full licensed version), I tried ActiveISO on my Windows XP PC. The link above downloads a single excecutable file that apparently does one and only one thing - burn ISO images to CDs (I think that is why it works well). Download of the Toshiba ISO file only takes a minute or two. Less for ActiveISO. This burned a flawless CD (TDK CD-R media) in less than a minute. That's less than 5 minutes total.

A20 update: "VERUP" and then steps 1 through 4 completed in approximately 3 minutes. Step 5 of 5 only took about 7 minutes (I was watching the clock but not really timing it). Those having problems may wish to try ActiveISO.

I'm glad it helped you as much as it helped me...It certainly simplified the process of updating firmwares via CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page