**Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread** - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #3751 of 3761 Old 02-05-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

I clean them before being played. Not sure its the player or the discs, but they stick about 3/4's through. No kidding, I found that if you hold the disc in a freezer for 1-2 minutes, they play until the end
Is it possible the player is overheating?
Are the cooling vents clear of any obstruction or dirt/dust?
Is the cooling fan running?

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3761 Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I still love my Samsung BD-5000 HD DVD , and Blu Ray P)layer. Still going strong. Love it.

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
post #3753 of 3761 Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HD DVD's are Not useless. I still use mine with my Samsung BD- 5000 HD DVD/ Blu Ray Player.

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 3761 Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I have the Toshiba HD-XA2 and have the same problem. It will work if you connect it to the HDMI 2 input (EDID 2) but seeing as I am set up for UHD Blu-ray using that input on the projector isn't desirable. I found a better work around. When you want to watch HD DVD connect your player to the front panel HDMI input on the Denon. It works with no issue on my Marantz AV8802A and should work the same way with your Denon receiver.

Regards,
Thank goodness for this forum. I upgraded to a Denon & hooked up the old hd-dvd player but didn't test it. My daughter decided to watch Hot Fuzz and I could only get a picture. I banged my head on the wall until my grey cells recalled something similar in this thread. Sure enough, here it is. I moved the HDMI connection to the front panel and voila! sound again.

The rear hdmi inputs must have some goofy handshake thing going if only the front works with hd-dvd.

ah well. At least I can watch the movie.

thanks !

EDIT: Looks like I can also turn off deep color on the TV HDMI input and then the Denon back HDMI ports will pass sound.
Ralph Potts, KOTULCN and Squirrel! like this.

Last edited by kcgr; 03-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #3755 of 3761 Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
Thank goodness for this forum. I upgraded to a Denon & hooked up the old hd-dvd player but didn't test it. My daughter decided to watch Hot Fuzz and I could only get a picture. I banged my head on the wall until my grey cells recalled something similar in this thread. Sure enough, here it is. I moved the HDMI connection to the front panel and voila! sound again.

The rear hdmi inputs must have some goofy handshake thing going if only the front works with hd-dvd.

thanks !

EDIT: Looks like I can also turn off deep color on the TV HDMI input and then the Denon back HDMI ports will pass sound.

I'm having similar problem with A35 and Denon 4300. I had quickly tested a DVD and noticed no sound and had not yet troubleshooted. Will try out both solutions.

Brettwf
post #3756 of 3761 Old 03-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwf View Post
I'm having similar problem with A35 and Denon 4300. I had quickly tested a DVD and noticed no sound and had not yet troubleshooted. Will try out both solutions.

Brettwf
Update: Ran separate HDMI cord from Monitor 2 out from the Denon x4300 to the HDMI port 1 of the LG 8500 and turned off Deep Color to fix the problem. This way, I do not have to turn on/off Deep Color support every time I change source from/to A-35.

Brettwf
post #3757 of 3761 Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwf View Post
Update: Ran separate HDMI cord from Monitor 2 out from the Denon x4300 to the HDMI port 1 of the LG 8500 and turned off Deep Color to fix the problem. This way, I do not have to turn on/off Deep Color support every time I change source from/to A-35.

Brettwf
that's the same solution I posted in the Denon thread. It is an extra cable, but yea, at least we don't have to toggle deep color each time.

They updated the faq to reflect that too.

Now we just need the DV fix.
post #3758 of 3761 Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I own the Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35 player, and the original remote quit working. I programmed my harmony for it, and it won't respond either.
The player still works, I just have to use the physical buttons on the player itself.
Any suggestions as to get the remote function working? Strange how the IR receiver would go out and nothing else.
If anyone has any ideas let me know! I still have a decent collection of HD-DVDs I like to watch from time to time.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #3759 of 3761 Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post

thanks !

Thanks for posting that. I had the same problem with my Toshiba HD-A2. Front port worked for audio, but multiple rear ports did not, until I turned off deep colour. To keep it simple, I just used optical instead.

Playback works fine on my Xbox 360 HD-DVD though regardless of the TV setting.
post #3760 of 3761 Old 08-29-2018, 04:23 AM

I’m in the process of upgrading both cables with certified HDMI for HDR and I think that I’m going to buy a coaxial to HDMI converter kit for one of the unused coaxial lines in the attic. This will allow me to use the third input source with Deep Color off for the A3 and any other non-4K source. I believe coaxial can only pass up to 4K but not HDR but at least I’m using those coaxial cables that I paid a few nickels for installation up the wall, thru the attic, and back down.
post #3761 of 3761 Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 AM

Correction: A35 not A3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page