**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #4921 of 4927 Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I have an HD-A35 that will not display an image unless “HDMI UHD Color” is disabled in the TV. It’s an annoyance. I also do not want to replace all of my HD-DVD’s. I bought most after they lost the format war and many were picked up for just a buck or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4927 Old 05-26-2020, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
I have an HD-A35 that will not display an image unless “HDMI UHD Color” is disabled in the TV. It’s an annoyance. I also do not want to replace all of my HD-DVD’s. I bought most after they lost the format war and many were picked up for just a buck or two.
Have you tried a certified premium HDMI cable? It may help you get your image back.

This was the only way I found to get things working semi-reliably after my receiver had a firmware update after which the old HDMI cables that used to work no longer did. I replaced all mine in the end with certified premium cables, each of the ones between the receiver and the tv and between the receiver and the a35 seemed to be necessary to get hd-dvd playback to work again.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #4923 of 4927 Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I installed certified cables for all devices. I have the same issue with an older Oppo BDP-83. They both work properly when UHD color is turned off in the TV HDMI input. All devices are going into the receiver and the receiver into the TV ARC HDMI connection.
Squirrel! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 4927 Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Wow! This thread is still going! LOL. I sold my entire setup for pennies on the dollar about 4 years ago. I find myself occasionally looking for a movie that I had on HD DVD , in my movie collection and realize it was HD DVD and it is no more. So I just stream it. LOL No freezing, no skipping, no taking forever to boot up. Just watched a blu last night, the flick 'Rambo Last Blood' and I believe the right choice was made in the end, to stick with blu. Though I am sorta nostalgic when it comes to the A35. Even with its inconsistencies, it was a great player with great PQ.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #4925 of 4927 Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 180
**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread**

I still have my collection and have only replaced a few titles where the blu-ray version was a significant upgrade. But they are older titles that we rarely watch and I never know if we’ll get through the movie without it freezing.

I bought this set brand new, still sealed for $5 a few years ago! Finally decided to open and watch it with the family.

MI-1 was perfect. MI-2 froze once, but a short skip recovered it. MI-3 refuses to load! The A35 says it is “not a DVD” haha.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer

Last edited by AVfile; Yesterday at 08:34 AM.
post #4926 of 4927 Old 05-27-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
I installed certified cables for all devices. I have the same issue with an older Oppo BDP-83. They both work properly when UHD color is turned off in the TV HDMI input. All devices are going into the receiver and the receiver into the TV ARC HDMI connection.
Perhaps not related to your particular situation, but I once had luck with running my hd-dvd player through an Oppo that was newer than the one you mention, probably a 103. It helped clean up HDMI incompatibility issues I was having at the time. (I'm still doing plasma, so no UHD incompatibilities to contend with here, and things got all better when I got a new receiver a few years ago.)
post #4927 of 4927 Old 05-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I think the deep color thing is a handshaking issue. I had it too, but found a workaround.

IF you are going thru an AVR for surround sound AND it has 2 HDMI outputs, run one of them to an unused TV HDMI input and have deep color off on that TV's unused input.

If you are going right into the TV, I don't know of another workaround beyond toggling deep color on/off, other than converting the HD-DVDs to BD format and playing thru a BD player.
fmalczewski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page