Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #691 of 703 Old 03-28-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I had numerous bad Warner HD-DVDs in my collection that Warner replaced for me.
I tried to play my "I Am Legend" HD-DVD today in my HD-XA2.
It is one of those short lived "combo" flipper discs (HD-DVD on 1 side, DVD on the other).
This disc loads up, but dies within a minute of starting to play the movie on read errors.
Typical Warner crap HD-DVD product.
Of course I doubt they will provide any customer support these days on HD-DVDs.
That's a shame Rich but you might get a laugh out of this: in my darkened HT I looked at Miami Vice and there was an ugly blotch on the underside. Squinting at the disc it seemed this was the Extended cut and the other side had Theatrical, so I played the Theatrical. Only after the movie was over that I'd watched for two hours did I realize I had played the DVD version of this Combo disc!!!

A testament I suppose to my Sony pj that it upscaled well enough that the PQ didn't take me out of the movie! The next day I decided to rip the HD side with the blotch on it and it ripped with no errors so now I have to watch it again in glorious HD!

Yeah I know it's a Universal picture and not Warner, but still I didn't like that blotch. Watched 3+ hours of King Kong last night and it was awesome indeed. Some of the HD-DVDs were-and-remain spectacular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 703 Old 03-30-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So, I was out running errands, and also picked up my ordered 4K version of "I Am Legend" from the local Best Buy, because they had it on sale.
I guess I am happy to have upgraded my copy of this title in the process of replacing a defective Warner HD-DVD/Combo disc.
However, it still pisses me off to have gotten involved too early with Warner in the HiDef format war between Toshiba & Sony (predominantly).
Warner should pony up some $$ to support their customers who got screwed due to Warner contracting with "cinram" for HD-DVD manufacturing of Warner titles!!

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #693 of 703 Old 03-31-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I was out running errands, and also picked up my ordered 4K version of "I Am Legend" from the local Best Buy, because they had it on sale.
I guess I am happy to have upgraded my copy of this title in the process of replacing a defective Warner HD-DVD/Combo disc.
However, it still pisses me off to have gotten involved too early with Warner in the HiDef format war between Toshiba & Sony (predominantly).
Warner should pony up some $$ to support their customers who got screwed due to Warner contracting with "cinram" for HD-DVD manufacturing of Warner titles!!
This is a road (very) well travelled, but a couple things:
1. I too am disappointed, though not surprised at WB's poor handling of the mfr defect issue. It seems likely they simply didn't want to deal with the issues of proof-of-purchase, though iirc they might have had a "send in your original disc sleeve showing UPC and we'll send you a BD" at one point. They should still allow that.
2. They should allow every Cinram-manufactured (white ring?) title to be in the Disc to Digital program at Walmart/Vudu. They are specifically called-out in the fine print as not part of the program.

It seems to me that 2. should be relatively easy, and not all that costly, to do for Warner vs handling physical materials and shipping discs. Or they could even allow Vudu to ship physical discs if they truly wanted to pony-up some $$ for us early adopters who had the rug pulled-out from under us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 703 Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be fair . . Warner DID replace a number of bad HD-DVDs for me a long time ago.
Of course the replacements that gave me are still subject to the same problems as the originals.
In some cases they sent blu-ray replacements, which was preferable as my experience with Warner blu-ray reliability far exceeds the HD-DVDs.
At this stage, since optical media titles are generally purchased in 4K, I'd be happy with some sort of discount coupon that I could use on 4K replacements of bad HD-DVDs.

post #695 of 703 Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWIW despite that Vudu states that their Disc to Digital program does not work with HD DVDs, one HD DVD that I tried with the iOS app did work to get me the HDX format of The Perfect Storm for $5. EDIT: Tried also "The Searchers" HD DVD and I got both SD and HDX options for purchase. This disc is still working afaict despite that it looks foggy on the backside--I suppose I could rip it for backup or spend $5 bucks and avoid that hassle.

In some cases these movies can be had from Amazon Prime Video for free, and in others the Blu-ray might be very cheap, but if the only path left is Vudu D2D well for $5 bucks it might be worth it for a good movie.

BTW I also tried Deer Hunter HD DVD and that did NOT work (a different movie studio? who knows...) so as always YMMV.
Rich86 likes this.

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #696 of 703 Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Warner "I Am Legend" combo HD-DVD disc

Quote:

so - as I posted before, this HD-DVD combo disc started playing but then locked up in my HD-XA2 player. Multiple cleanings of the disc did not solve the problem. So I took it with me to our mountain cabin, where I still have a HD-A30 connected to a TV. Guess what . . this disc seems to play just fine in the A30! Now I'm wondering if my XA2 is developing a problem with its drive. Or maybe this disc just like high altitudes?

post #697 of 703 Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so - as I posted before, this HD-DVD combo disc started playing but then locked up in my HD-XA2 player. Multiple cleanings of the disc did not solve the problem. So I took it with me to our mountain cabin, where I still have a HD-A30 connected to a TV. Guess what . . this disc seems to play just fine in the A30! Now I'm wondering if my XA2 is developing a problem with its drive. Or maybe this disc just like high altitudes?
I remember starting the HD-DVD of "300" on my LG BH200 player and it started skipping some minutes in. I was able to switch playback to my XA2 and that player had no trouble with those scenes. I realize 300 is not a Warner disc but maybe it speaks to some problem certain players had difficulty with.

I watched The Matrix recently and it was perfect/awesome, but since neither Reloaded nor Revolutions would play at all (nor rip to computer) I revisited my collection again and AFAICT of my 41 Warner HD-DVDs, just 4 are bad, the Matrix two plus Blade Runner Workprint and The Shining. I had also had playback problems with Deer Hunter but was able to skip-thru them, then afterwards I found dirt on it, cleaned it up, and it ripped to PC just fine.

So the problems of this format remain a mystery. One day I'm going to figure-out how to rip them and convert for digital playback on my Apple TV 4K. Maybe then I will donate the discs and 3 players to Goodwill or something.
post #698 of 703 Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can rip hd-dvds with "Passkey" - a DVDFab program. I believe they still offer a "lite" version for free.
I think I used ClownBD to convert a couple of ripped hd-dvds to blu-ray before they were available on blu-ray.

post #699 of 703 Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can rip hd-dvds with "Passkey" - a DVDFab program. I believe they still offer a "lite" version for free.
I think I used ClownBD to convert a couple of ripped hd-dvds to blu-ray before they were available on blu-ray.
It seems that makemkv by itself can rip to a mostly operational .mkv file that includes the original audio, but at least Subtitles didn't come-along for me, and .mkv is not something Apple TV knows.

Next if I use Handbrake to make the .mkv Apple-friendly, I lose the 5.1 audio cuz ATV doesn't do Dolby Digital.

So that's why I say I have some noodling to do still re: converting to digital, although I guess I can buy an ATV app called Infuse and it might play the .mkv, which would be the easiest solution (if I can get subs working) albeit an expensive one from a size point-of-view, since makemkv just remuxes the original streams into its container w/o transcoding/compressing.
post #700 of 703 Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 76
see post #11 for my conversion method if you're looking to do it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-h...gital-use.html

worked everytime once I figured it out.

The player and the movies were then donated to the in-Laws' beach house ... and I moved on.
post #701 of 703 Old 04-13-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
see post #11 for my conversion method if you're looking to do it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-h...gital-use.html

worked everytime once I figured it out.
Many thanks for the link kcgr. Interesting that you would comment about makemkv that "subtitles wouldn't work all the time" because makemkv subs from my test disc HD-DVD Deer Hunter are not working at all, which has stopped me dead in my tracks.

I have done these before in my foggy past, using eac3to and tsmuxer and x264 and...I forget now, but it included converting the typical SDH subtitles to include just the spoken lines of actors, not [TIRES SQUEALING] and such, since we are hard of hearing but not deaf. Anyway I was hoping for a simple two-step process with makemkv/Handbrake but it seems that may not be possible. Maybe I just need to download srts as you mentioned and pull those into Handbrake. But I have not noticed any video issues with my tests--maybe somewhere since you did yours makemkv got better about that.

As I think about the time & work of converting some 120 HD-DVDs, and indeed many Blu-rays to digital, I am thinking now to only do those movies not available already by some other $$ means (Vudu, iTunes etc).

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-13-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #702 of 703 Old 04-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Many thanks for the link kcgr. Interesting that you would comment about makemkv that "subtitles wouldn't work all the time" because makemkv subs from my test disc HD-DVD Deer Hunter are not working at all, which has stopped me dead in my tracks.

I have done these before in my foggy past, using eac3to and tsmuxer and x264 and...I forget now, but it included converting the typical SDH subtitles to include just the spoken lines of actors, not [TIRES SQUEALING] and such, since we are hard of hearing but not deaf. Anyway I was hoping for a simple two-step process with makemkv/Handbrake but it seems that may not be possible. Maybe I just need to download srts as you mentioned and pull those into Handbrake. But I have not noticed any video issues with my tests--maybe somewhere since you did yours makemkv got better about that.

As I think about the time & work of converting some 120 HD-DVDs, and indeed many Blu-rays to digital, I am thinking now to only do those movies not available already by some other $$ means (Vudu, iTunes etc).
120 to convert ... ouch. If I didn't choose to have subtitles, the conversion would have been much faster. But, since people seem to mumble so much these days on screen, I have just gotten into the habit of using subtitles most if not all the time. I tried so many different ways of doing the conversion, but the posted method worked every time. If I didn't care about the subtitles, I prolly would have just used makemkv and called it a day.

You can always just chip away at your disc population and eventually knock them all out. Hopefully you have a reader or can get a cheap one. I grabbed an LG HD-dvd/BD-R drive off ebay for about $25. It was about 10 years old, but worked perfectly to rip then burn to BD-25.

good luck!
post #703 of 703 Old 04-13-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
120 to convert ... ouch. If I didn't choose to have subtitles, the conversion would have been much faster. But, since people seem to mumble so much these days on screen, I have just gotten into the habit of using subtitles most if not all the time. I tried so many different ways of doing the conversion, but the posted method worked every time. If I didn't care about the subtitles, I prolly would have just used makemkv and called it a day.

You can always just chip away at your disc population and eventually knock them all out. Hopefully you have a reader or can get a cheap one. I grabbed an LG HD-dvd/BD-R drive off ebay for about $25. It was about 10 years old, but worked perfectly to rip then burn to BD-25.

good luck!
Thanks I have lots of readers!

I will surely post-back here if I find a shorter path to HD-DVD-plus-subtitle conversion joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page