Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 730 Old 05-22-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Gotcha. I confused myself by forgetting you were referring only to BDs with no doubt the various outrageous e.g. "Master Audio" bitrates.
There are some HD-DVD with lossless audio, usually TrueHD.

Compressing the lossless audio with E-AC3 at 1.7 Mbps reduces the size of the file by about 20% so this is beneficial. Also E-AC3 supports 24 bit audio so there's really not much difference at that bitrate.
Laserfan likes this.
scowl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 730 Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At this point, is there any reason to track matrix numbers and IFPI codes for defective discs, whether for here or to provide for LDDB website? i have held onto most of my rotted discs. I still have around a 50/50 chance of a disc playing all the way through, some titles both copies work and others neither copies work. Seems like early releases are more likely to work and also I have never encountered an error on an HD15 disc. I did have one that did not read at all but it may have been defective from the beginning. At this point I wish they crammed them all on HD15s.

Last edited by Brian81; 06-18-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Brian81 is offline  
post #723 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
jurid001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
60% failure rate thus far

Tested my WB HD DVDs: out of 25, 15 are rotten. I have more, but I think it will be about the same ratio. I suspect that WB did some accelerated aging testing of their HD DVDs and found out that most of them (if not all) would have failed in a few years, and decided to jump HD DVD bandwagon entirely and contribute to the format's death. Fearing that if the format survives , that would be a PR disaster for WB, with lawsuits and customers potentially requesting all their discs replaced.

A2, A35, 150, 62fd, s790, s6500, x800, 83, 103D, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
jurid001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #724 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If the HD-DVD format had been a success, then the defective Warner discs would have been just a momentary setback in the history of the format, something that we old timers would be talking about as we play the replacement discs that Warner sent us for free. Remember that an HD-DVD didn't cost much more to produce than a DVD so sending replacement discs wouldn't have been a huge expense in a billion dollar format.

I have a couple of Universal Blu-rays that stopped playing after a few years. Universal refused to replace them.
scowl is offline  
post #725 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was remiss in not trying to replace the bad ones immediately. I still have a bunch of unopened ones that should probably be tested.

Thing is they need be watched all the way through as not all defective ones are non loading.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
snowghost is offline  
post #726 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
TMOSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurid001 View Post
Tested my WB HD DVDs: out of 25, 15 are rotten. I have more, but I think it will be about the same ratio. I suspect that WB did some accelerated aging testing of their HD DVDs and found out that most of them (if not all) would have failed in a few years, and decided to jump HD DVD bandwagon entirely and contribute to the format's death. Fearing that if the format survives , that would be a PR disaster for WB, with lawsuits and customers potentially requesting all their discs replaced.
Funny thing is its only Warner HD-DVD's that I've ever had problems with. I managed to get a mailer from them last year as a "courtesy" on their part (ha!) to replace A Christmas Story but in the end couldn't be bothered with the exchange to Blu-ray.
TMOSteel is offline  
post #727 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I was remiss in not trying to replace the bad ones immediately. I still have a bunch of unopened ones that should probably be tested.
I bought one unopened HD-DVD and, yep, it was dead right out of the package.

Quote:
Thing is they need be watched all the way through as not all defective ones are non loading.
Yes, I've tried to rip them with mkmkv and it can take a while to hit a bad spot, but once you do it's over. There doesn't seem to be any way to convince mkmkv to skip over the errors and keep reading.
scowl is offline  
post #728 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
jurid001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
If the HD-DVD format had been a success, then the defective Warner discs would have been just a momentary setback in the history of the format, something that we old timers would be talking about as we play the replacement discs that Warner sent us for free. Remember that an HD-DVD didn't cost much more to produce than a DVD so sending replacement discs wouldn't have been a huge expense in a billion dollar format.
Replacing close to 100% could've been a different matter, not a momentary setback.

A2, A35, 150, 62fd, s790, s6500, x800, 83, 103D, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
jurid001 is offline  
post #729 of 730 Old 01-03-2020, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurid001 View Post
Replacing close to 100% could've been a different matter, not a momentary setback.
No. There really weren't a lot of HD-DVD discs sold and Warner would have passed most of the costs onto the manufacturer who was responsible for making the defective discs.
scowl is offline  
post #730 of 730 Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have ripped all but 2 of my ~30 HD DVDs to my Plex server. There was one that I thought had no chance at ripping (you could see "wave pattern" discoloration on the disc data side), but it did rip. I contacted the studio and they replaced it with the Blu-ray for no cost. This was about 2 years ago. For the one that didn't play, I just rented it (Blu-ray) and ripped it to my Plex server. The other one was planet earth that had 2 bad discs, but I ended up getting the full Blu-ray for $5.



Haven't tested any of them in the past 2 years so not sure how many of mine have died since then.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
sivartk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HD DVD Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off