HDNet disc, what do I have? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eric102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
HDNet disc, what do I have?

Got this from HDNet years ago, it appears to be some sort of disc they used internally since it shows some wear and doesn't have the normal artwork or case. It plays back like a normal HD-DVD copy of Bikini Destanations Hawaii.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_112711279.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2382378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_112723092.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2382380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_112817514_HDR.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2382382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_113023728_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	2382384  
eric102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Could be a promo disc - it's obviously not a retail disc, but you could master and replicate your own. I'm guessing it's probably either a disc they sent to retailers to demo HDTVs, or a disc they sent special subscribers as an appreciation.
Worf is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2018, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eric102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Could be a promo disc - it's obviously not a retail disc, but you could master and replicate your own. I'm guessing it's probably either a disc they sent to retailers to demo HDTVs, or a disc they sent special subscribers as an appreciation.
I was thinking demo as well since it has some wear (scratches) but if it was sent out to retailers would they bother to send it back to HDNet?
eric102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2018, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Well, it may be a retailer demo, or an HD DVD demo. There was a rolling HD DVD store demo display - a representative would set up an HD-DVD display in the store and man it for a couple of weeks. Given the date on the disc, it could be one of the discs they used during those rolling displays. The travelling rep would likely get some discs, display them, get more discs, to return the old ones (less to carry, and less junk) and those would head back.

Retailers would probably be forced to return them as well to avoid getting charged - this was back in the day when hdmi cables and such were novelties and you can be sure they got charged for stuff like that. And retailers would send it back with the rest of the demo gear because it's something that won't play on their regular DVD players anyways.
Worf is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eric102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Well, it may be a retailer demo, or an HD DVD demo. There was a rolling HD DVD store demo display - a representative would set up an HD-DVD display in the store and man it for a couple of weeks. Given the date on the disc, it could be one of the discs they used during those rolling displays. The travelling rep would likely get some discs, display them, get more discs, to return the old ones (less to carry, and less junk) and those would head back.

Retailers would probably be forced to return them as well to avoid getting charged - this was back in the day when hdmi cables and such were novelties and you can be sure they got charged for stuff like that. And retailers would send it back with the rest of the demo gear because it's something that won't play on their regular DVD players anyways.
Interesting, didn't know about the rolling displays, I wonder if HDNet had a display at CES back then?
eric102 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2018, 02:32 AM
Newbie
 
logodaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What you have is definitely a "check disc". A replicated check disc is pressed from the stamper that is based on the supplied master. It is identical to the mass order that will be produced from the same stamper.
After a stamper is made a few discs are pressed and mailed to customers for approval.
I have some check discs in my collection. If you have no use for it please let me know
logodaddy is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eric102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by logodaddy View Post
What you have is definitely a "check disc". A replicated check disc is pressed from the stamper that is based on the supplied master. It is identical to the mass order that will be produced from the same stamper.
After a stamper is made a few discs are pressed and mailed to customers for approval.
I have some check discs in my collection. If you have no use for it please let me know
Thanks for the info! I'd always wondered what a check disc was when I've seen others mention it being in their collections, I'll keep it in mine for now
eric102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HD DVD Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off