Checking all my HD DVD discs in 2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By kcgr
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By kcgr
  • 1 Post By fiorito82

post #1 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Checking all my HD DVD discs in 2020

Went thru all of my 200 plus HD DVD's and ripped them to mkv's. I had previously ripped most of them about 3 years ago but I had around 25 titles still that had not been opened until now as well as I wanted to redo the audio this time around but some will not rip now and have died since 2017. Shocked to find two boxed sets completely dead that were brand new unopened from WB. This is the Wyatt Earp, Alexander, Troy and Blood Diamond pack. And duplicate copies of Alexander and Troy were also dead. Family pack, Scooby Doo, Happy Feet, Corpse Bride and Ant Bully. Won't rip or play. Finding some Universal titles are now dead too.

List of titles completely dead (won't rip or play)
Harry Potter 1,2,4,5 (WB)
Blade Runner Work Print (WB)
Blood Diamond (WB)
Alexander Revisited x2 (WB) 1 copy new both failed, ripped fine in 2017
Wyatt Earp (WB) new
Troy x2 (WB) 1 copy new, won't rip or play in XA2
Ant Bully WB new won't rip or play in XA2
Happy Feet WB new won't rip or play in XA2
Corpse Bride WB new won't rip or play in XA2
Scooby-Doo WB new won't rip or play in XA2
Deadlands The Rising won't rip, won't load in XA2 locks up player
I Am Legend WB still have 2017 rip won't rip or play in XA2, freezes a few minutes in.
The Island won't rip or play in XA2
Oceans 11 won't rip or play in XA2
Oceans 12 won't rip or play in XA2
Forbidden Planet WB still have 2017 rip, won't rip
Batman Begins WB 1 extra copy that is good
Matrix Revolutions WB 1 copy failed to play, 1 extra copy good and ripped fine
Space Cowboys WB, won't rip or play in XA2, dead
A Christmas Story WB was new never opened, dead.
Twilight Zone WB ripped fine in 2017, it's now dead.
Mobsters (Universal) rip failed, ripped fine 2017
Syriana (WB) rip failed, ripped fine 2017
Deliverance x2 (WB) both DOA won't rip or play
Poseidon (WB) dead ripped fine in 2017
Blades of Glory (Dreamworks) rip failed ripped fine in 2017
U2 Rattle and Hum dead 1 extra copy that is good
Saw dead ripped fine in 2017
Saw III dead ripped fine in 2017
The Last Samurai (WB) rip failed, ripped fine in 2017
Heart Alive in Seattle rip failed disc plays in XA2 ok, one song in middle freezes up but can skip past it.
The Adventures of Robinhood WB rip failed
300 WB rip failed
Pan's Labyrinth new just opened, makemkv won't open disc, XA2 won't load disc.
Led-Zeppelin the Song Remains the Same new makemkv won't open disc, locks up XA2
Deep Purple new rip failed
The Fountain won't rip, ripped in 2017
Eagles Farewell Tour new makemkv won't open, locks up XA2
Unforgiven WB rip failed
Goodfellas WB rip failed ripped fine in 2017
Dukes of Hazzard WB rip failed ripped fine in 2017
Mutiny on the Bounty WB rip failed, ripped fine in 2017,
Poseidon WB rip failed, ripped fine in 2017
Twilight Zone rip failed, ripped fine in 2017
Star Trek TOS Season 1 -2 episodes won't rip, HD DVD player will not play those 2 episodes.
Cream -heavily scratched, rip fails was scratched when I got it.

List of titles that won't rip but will play in player.
Terminator 2 makemkv will not open disc, plays fine.
Deathproof makemkv will not open disc, plays fine.
Heart-Alive in Seattle

This is really unacceptable. 13 years old they should not be dying this fast, many of these titles were dead much earlier than this, I'm just now posting. Some have died since 2017 because they ripped fine then.

Also something else that I've been meaning to post about HD DVD's is that all major studio releases on HD DVD were in fact not encoded as 24p. They are 29.97 with a 2:3 pulldown flag. Last time I ripped these I handbraked them and that encoded them as 24p without the flag. Plex sees them as 1080i because of the frame rate and pulldown. This is a strange way of encoding and I think Blu ray did it right as 24p without a pulldown.

Updating list —04/07/2020. I have gone thru all my HD DVD's now. I will also add list of titles that are fine when I get a chance. I have a stack of 25 or so that failed to rip that I still need to test in HD DVD player and see if they are completely dead. I had about 25 that were new, never opened that didn't get ripped in 2017 and either failed to rip and/or failed to play in HD DVD player right out of the new packaging. There was one disc, I forget the title but it had fingerprints all over it. It was a WB title. It still had the shrink wrap and original security tape on it. I noticed one or two more that were new that had micro scratches on the discs. But most look very clean.
SuperFist likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 04-08-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Like...the HD DVD player won't read them?

post #3 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 7221
This really makes you want to rip everything, Blu-rays and 4Ks, to the HDD once you buy them, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
Like...the HD DVD player won't read them?
For ripping using mostly Toshiba SD-L902A, I have two of these USB drives for ripping/burning HD DVD's. Also the Microsoft HD DVD XBox add-on drive works for ripping but I found it will not hardly rip any discs while the 902A will so I quit using it.

For playing, that's directly from a Toshiba XA2.

post #5 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
This really makes you want to rip everything, Blu-rays and 4Ks, to the HDD once you buy them, huh?
What I'm really glad about is that there were many other HD DVD titles I wanted to buy years ago to amass a large collection, but I'm glad I stopped when I did. I mostly bought several big lots on eBay which got me a large number of titles for cheap, only thing I got some duplicates, but that's not a bad thing as it turns out. I've had some duplicates rip while the other copy did not.

I've not had any trouble with any of my Blu ray discs. I am pretty sure they will hold up for years to come. But HD DVD, as much as I like it as this defunct and now obscure format, the better format won. Blu ray, aside from larger capacity had scratch coating, and as long as you take care of them, should hold up pretty well. HD DVD, not so much. I have some with very light scratches but I don't know if it's that or the discs are just breaking down. Especially with WB discs, they are rotting. I have a number of them like Syriana and Twilight Zone that ripped 3 years ago but are now dead.

post #6 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
For ripping using mostly Toshiba SD-L902A, I have two of these USB drives for ripping/burning HD DVD's. Also the Microsoft HD DVD XBox add-on drive works for ripping but I found it will not hardly rip any discs while the 902A will so I quit using it.

For playing, that's directly from a Toshiba XA2.
I still have an old A2 and about 30 movies. So eventually it just stops playing them?

I watched Payback on it about 4 or 5 months ago, not sure when I've used it since then.

post #7 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, some bad discs will stop playing with error code. Some discs wont even load. Tried I am Legend last night and in quit just a few minutes in. Had to finish it with old rip. Unfortunately i only have the alternate ending version ripped.
SuperFist likes this.

post #8 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I've gone thru all my HD DVD's now. I'm currently ripping Season 1 of Hero's that should finish it up. I need to check a few titles that I just added to the the dead list and see if they will play in player. I'm placing them all in the dead list for now but it's possible a few might play in HD DVD player. A couple music titles would not open in makemkv so they might play in player.

I remember watching Heart a few years ago, I think it was on disc. I lost some of my rips from 2017 when a drive failed that had some HD DVD rips on it. There was no backup so I will have to source Blu ray's for some of these. Annoying when you find discs ripped fine just 3 years ago but fail now. All of the titles on the list above I've tried multiple times and cleaned well of course.

Titles like Troy, Alexander, Goodfellas, Twilight Zone, all ripped fine just 3 years ago, now all have failed. The two WB four packs 8 out of 8 titles failed, lol. WB is clearly had the worst HD DVD production.
SuperFist likes this.

post #9 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I recall that when I used makemkv I had a bad stutter and subtitles didn't work. The rips went well, but the playback was crap.

Copying from an earlier post of mine when I converted 14 discs to BD format .. maybe this will be of some use. .....

use AnyDVD to rip (I used a LG BD-R/hd-dvd unit off ebay)

then use clownBD to demux the HDDVD video to a temp folder (dont' use TSmuxer yet)
(I picked NMT option on the first screen and then LPCM and AC3 on the following screens)

run tsmuxergui separately and grab the files from the temp folder and load into the input window.
grab: vc1 file, ac3 file, w64 file (if you want LPCM option), True HD file if needed, and an srt file you can get from a subtitles site.

edit the chapters.txt file and remove all but hh:mm:ss and separate them by ; So it'll look like 00:00:00;00:05:00;0008:30 and so on. (no semicolon after the last entry). Copy and paste those times into the blu-ray custom chapters list section

pick blu ray folder option and a path.

execute. You'll get a BD disc structure. You can make an iso from that structure and burn it. The burnt disc played in my 4K players (samsung and philips) Watch the file sizes. I was able to get all onto a 25GB disc. One or two I had to leave off LPCM as the resulting ISO was over 25GB

I found this works all the time for me. The sound is fine, the subtitle works and the chapters work.

I converted 14 of my discs to 25GB BD-R. Makemkv was too choppy due to pulldown problems and the subtitles didn't work all the time.
SuperFist likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 7221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
I recall that when I used makemkv I had a bad stutter and subtitles didn't work. The rips went well, but the playback was crap.

use AnyDVD to rip
Glad to know my AnyDVD lifetime license (paid twice: 1st with SlySoft, 2nd with RedFox) isn't a waste! I often wondered if I should've just stuck with the "Beta" version of MakeMKV and copied the registry key every month.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makemkv isn't the problem, it's the HD DVD encoding method. I posted in original post all HD DVD's were (weirdly) encoded 29.97 but have 2:3 pulldown flag for the players. 1080p24 HD DVD players that came out were able to use that and decode as 24p. If you rip with makemkv, they are essentially 30p files and last time I re-encoded each rip with handbrake and they are then true 24p, no annoying stutter.

This time, I'm using h.265 to save some space, encoding is taking longer but might as well since I'm going thru all of them. Makemkv is just the first step, also have to handbrake and then the files are ok.

Last edited by tomtastic; 04-08-2020 at 11:42 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
But then you have to worry about how long your HDD will keep spinning, maintaining the data without degrading, etc. To be honest, as much as we love physical media (and I still buy almost all 3D blu-ray releases), the future is really streaming. With ever faster d/l speeds the difference will be minimal. The only thing I don't like is that they streaming source can change at any time to a different version, disappearing altogether, etc.

But to the OP, it's unbelievable that the HD DVDs are that sh*tty. I owned a few HD DVDs for a brief time when it looked like both might survive for a while (I already owned a PS3 so was mostly collecting blu-ray back in 2007) but the blu-rays that I still own from that time (like U2 Rattle and Hum that I bought in 2007) are still fine. HD DVD was always the cheaper appearing option but still it's shocking for them to fail at that rate.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #13 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
But then you have to worry about how long your HDD will keep spinning, maintaining the data without degrading, etc. To be honest, as much as we love physical media (and I still buy almost all 3D blu-ray releases), the future is really streaming. With ever faster d/l speeds the difference will be minimal. The only thing I don't like is that they streaming source can change at any time to a different version, disappearing altogether, etc.

But to the OP, it's unbelievable that the HD DVDs are that sh*tty. I owned a few HD DVDs for a brief time when it looked like both might survive for a while (I already owned a PS3 so was mostly collecting blu-ray back in 2007) but the blu-rays that I still own from that time (like U2 Rattle and Hum that I bought in 2007) are still fine. HD DVD was always the cheaper appearing option but still it's shocking for them to fail at that rate.
I've had my fair share of drives fail. I try to back up when I can. HD DVD's, I will definitely be backing them up. One reason because the HD DVD's might not rip next time, as I'm finding out, mainly with WB discs and 2 it takes a lot of time to do this. This is the last time I will rip them. If my usb drive fails, I won't be able to source another one as easy.

I think most physical disc formats should hold up a long time. A few years ago I went back and re-ripped all our CD's to lossless audio. The previous time was early 2000's on a lot of them. I found a few CD's had gone bad. They rotted thru. House of Pain was one of them. I think Monty Python was another. But most were fine. I still have DVD's and some laserdiscs. DVD's I think hold up pretty well, even if they're scratched. Blu ray you have to be careful, scratches will kill them pretty easily. I think Blu ray should last a long time too. I don't backup my Blu ray rips, I trust them. Hopefully, they won't rot.
SuperFist likes this.

post #14 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
I've had my fair share of drives fail. I try to back up when I can. HD DVD's, I will definitely be backing them up. One reason because the HD DVD's might not rip next time, as I'm finding out, mainly with WB discs and 2 it takes a lot of time to do this. This is the last time I will rip them. If my usb drive fails, I won't be able to source another one as easy.

I think most physical disc formats should hold up a long time. A few years ago I went back and re-ripped all our CD's to lossless audio. The previous time was early 2000's on a lot of them. I found a few CD's had gone bad. They rotted thru. House of Pain was one of them. I think Monty Python was another. But most were fine. I still have DVD's and some laserdiscs. DVD's I think hold up pretty well, even if they're scratched. Blu ray you have to be careful, scratches will kill them pretty easily. I think Blu ray should last a long time too. I don't backup my Blu ray rips, I trust them. Hopefully, they won't rot.
It's a tough life trying to back things up. For things that are really important to me, like family photos/videos, I have a crazy back up system for max redundancy. I have all my photos videos (from my mirrorless and iPhone) on a Windows 10 external HDD, a Mac external HDD, BD-DL, OneDrive (Microsoft's cloud storage), and whenever the HDDs fill up I keep the old one but transfer all of it to a new HDD. The iPhone media is also backed up on iCloud. Only with that level of redundancy do I feel not too worried about losing everything (to drive/media failure, hacking/ransomware, accidental deletion, etc.)!

For blu-ray, I also used to trust them completely, and still mostly do, but some blu-rays have been known to die, with some faulty production batches like Pink Floyd's Immersion box set for DSOTM, where the label reprinted some blu-rays for defective ones that died after a few years. Nothing is forever is the lesson here I suppose...

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #15 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 667
It can also help to use something like par2 to generate parity files to protect the files. It generates parity files that as long as you have more parity blocks than lost files, you can recover the entire thing (sort of like how RAID works, but you can select how much protection you want). The checksum is robust as well so you can re run par2 on all the files to verify integrity.
SuperFist likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Makemkv isn't the problem, it's the HD DVD encoding method. I posted in original post all HD DVD's were (weirdly) encoded 29.97 but have 2:3 pulldown flag for the players. 1080p24 HD DVD players that came out were able to use that and decode as 24p. If you rip with makemkv, they are essentially 30p files and last time I re-encoded each rip with handbrake and they are then true 24p, no annoying stutter.

This time, I'm using h.265 to save some space, encoding is taking longer but might as well since I'm going thru all of them. Makemkv is just the first step, also have to handbrake and then the files are ok.
does your process allow for subtitles? It has been awhile, but I think I tried re-encoding with handbrake and the files came out 24p as well, but I could not figure out how to get subtitles working right. Thus, I ended up having a pretty odd process.

Regarding Warner ... back when Warner was swapping them, I exchanged all of my Warner discs for BD. Then as rot reports seemed to come out more frequently, a few years back, I decided to convert the rest to BD-R and then retire the players.

I've also thought of doing my CDs, but they've been pretty reliable. In 30+ years, I've only had 2 CDs go bad. One went entirely, and one just has one bad track. So I have a reasonable expectation they'll be OK.

I don't trust HDDs to have that reliability. The stuff I do backup, I backup in triplicate.
SuperFist likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
does your process allow for subtitles? It has been awhile, but I think I tried re-encoding with handbrake and the files came out 24p as well, but I could not figure out how to get subtitles working right. Thus, I ended up having a pretty odd process.

Regarding Warner ... back when Warner was swapping them, I exchanged all of my Warner discs for BD. Then as rot reports seemed to come out more frequently, a few years back, I decided to convert the rest to BD-R and then retire the players.

I've also thought of doing my CDs, but they've been pretty reliable. In 30+ years, I've only had 2 CDs go bad. One went entirely, and one just has one bad track. So I have a reasonable expectation they'll be OK.

I don't trust HDDs to have that reliability. The stuff I do backup, I backup in triplicate.
Yes, subs work fine.

So my first step is makemkv to rip, second is handbrake to re-encode, 3rd is mkvtoolnix to correct the filename, otherwise it shows up in the metadata as main feature or whatever they used on the hd dvd file naming.

handbrake using h.265, I settled on RF 13.5, that gives a decent reduction in file size and should be around equal quality or better. Better meaning larger than needed. If you set to RF to 0, it ends up being much larger than it should for 50 percent reduction expectations, yet 0 is considered passthru. I can tell you for sure it is not.

I use passthru EAC3, TruHD, or whatever it has. Last time I downmixed EAC3 because I didn't know how to handle the audio in Plex but it works fine. I have video set to original frame rate and that picks up the 24p. After they're encoded in handbrake they are now true 24p and not 29.97. I check the file with mediainfo.

Here's an example of 2001 A Space Odyssey after handbrake. (note I still need to run thru mkvtoolnix, the Movie name is still generic labeling "feature".

General
Unique ID : 261809683830093848032261573113723964776 (0xC4F6B602E8CB88B04D0096F139CF4D68)
Complete name : /Volumes/macproserver/Movies/2001 A Space Odyssey.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 13.6 GiB
Duration : 2h 28mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 13.1 Mbps
Movie name : feature
Encoded date : UTC 2020-04-08T08:54:20Z
Writing application : HandBrake 1.1.2 2018090500
Writing library : Lavf57.7.2
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : [email protected]@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 864 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.222
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Writing library : x265 2.6:[Mac OS X][clang 9.1.0][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1049087 / frame-threads=4 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x864 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=2 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=0 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=15 / lookahead-slices=5 / scenecut=40 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=1 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=2 / early-skip / rskip / fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / analysis-reuse-mode=0 / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=12.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=1 / transfer=1 / colormatrix=1 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=255 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 2 826 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 fps (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : Surround
Language : English
Default : Yes
Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : E-AC-3
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
Codec ID : A_EAC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Frame rate : 31.250 fps (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 477 MiB (3%)
Title : Surround
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : No
Audio #3
ID : 4
Format : E-AC-3
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
Codec ID : A_EAC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Frame rate : 31.250 fps (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 204 MiB (1%)
Title : Stereo
Service kind : Complete Main
Text #1
ID : 5
Format : VobSub
Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on DVDs
Text #2
ID : 6
Format : VobSub
Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on DVDs
Menu
00:00:00.000 : :Chapter 1
00:02:57.135 : :Chapter 2
00:04:38.695 : :Chapter 3
00:11:39.490 : :Chapter 4
00:16:57.099 : :Chapter 5
00:19:51.982 : :Chapter 6
00:25:27.568 : :Chapter 7
00:27:36.321 : :Chapter 8
00:29:27.849 : :Chapter 9
00:33:44.147 : :Chapter 10
00:41:06.214 : :Chapter 11
00:45:34.815 : :Chapter 12
00:50:53.425 : :Chapter 13
00:54:38.358 : :Chapter 14
00:58:30.173 : :Chapter 15
01:03:51.911 : :Chapter 16
01:06:01.541 : :Chapter 17
01:12:06.155 : :Chapter 18
01:18:47.097 : :Chapter 19
01:22:56.221 : :Chapter 20
01:26:56.795 : :Chapter 21
01:27:44.259 : :Chapter 22
01:30:02.397 : :Chapter 23
01:32:45.393 : :Chapter 24
01:38:29.570 : :Chapter 25
01:40:41.077 : :Chapter 26
01:45:29.073 : :Chapter 27
01:49:34.860 : :Chapter 28
01:55:12.572 : :Chapter 29
01:56:58.929 : :Chapter 30
02:01:20.690 : :Chapter 31
02:11:25.544 : :Chapter 32
02:17:49.344 : :Chapter 33
02:20:24.666 : :Chapter 34

Last edited by tomtastic; 04-09-2020 at 07:40 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-20-2020, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I wasted about a week of encoded these to h.265 only to find out Plex on my Mac Mini will not decode h.265. The server has to transcode it down to h.264 first. So I had to start over reencoding to h.264.

post #19 of 22 Old 04-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently went through my HD DVDs as well and this is what I've noticed:

There seems to be a hazy film on most of the insides of the cases under the discs. I don't know if this is the case off-gassing or the disc itself. On some of the discs, this 'film' has created a haze. I used simple glass cleaner to wipe and polish the inside of the cases where the disc sits and on any discs with the film, they received a light cleaning as well. I haven't had the opportunity to try all the discs, but the ones I did try played fine in my HD-A1. It's interesting to note that none of my Blu-ray cases or discs had this issue.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My collection of movies.. not that big

SuperFist likes this.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just played TMNT and it worked. This one is listed as an HD-30 on lddb and other sites, but I think it is actually an HD-15. I only see one ring with info. I have still yet to encounter a disc read error on an HD-15 from Warner. I did have one disc not load at all, but that could be unrelated. Now HD-30s from Warner, I have some that work but I plan to just toss them as they stop working. i still believe it is the double layer discs that are the issue from Warner.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-15-2020, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I just finished that one up, the file is about 10gb, a 15gb disc would have been enough. I have about 20 more titles to handbrake then I'll be done. I might go back thru the stack of dead titles and try a few of them one more time and see if they'll rip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page