Official Fast & Furious HD DVD thread ... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Before all 3 films spawn 30 different threads I figured it might be a good idea to keep comments on the series in a single thread ( yes , no , maybe ? ;) ) .

I am most curious about the original as it is the only one of the series that I intend to buy (did not care for the other 2 from a movie standpoint but Tokyo Drift's PQ sounds like it is true reference which should make some of it entertaining to view if nothing else) . I hope to grab a copy of the original FnF later tonight if there are any left at my local BB's .

Any comments would be much appreciated ...

Best Wishes ,
--- Jason

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only bothered picking up the first one, but it looks great. Only scanned it since so many new titles came out, but it's exactly what you would expect. rich colors, great sharpness, deep blacks, simply a beautiful image from what I have looked at.

Hope that helps
post #3 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Dolphc ,

Thank you for the quick comments , much appreciated . I hope I am not expecting too much from this title based upon the DVD and D-Theater releases which were both excellent .

------- Jason

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 03:03 PM

While I never owned the D-VHS copy, i did get a chance to view it at a buddy's place, and from what I remember, they look very similar. I'm sure they would look almost identical as most of Uni's HD-DVDs seem to mimic their D-VHS counterpart.

I had high hopes for this one too, and I wasn't let down. You know what you were getting with this one, where as fear and loathing came as the biggest surprise out of Uni's batch. Simply wonderful, but that's getting off topic.

Glad to help, uh..., Pimp.
post #5 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM

I second that, a masterful transfer IMO......well worth a pick up for a demo if nothing else, but I admit, I kinda enjoy it.........

"Don't get mad at me just because you were dumb enough to fall for the ol' Wookie-prisoner gag."
post #6 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What happened to the Truehd track that both of these was supposed to have?
post #7 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Gone the way of the Dodo I suppose...

XBOX 360 Elite(GT: BigBadPolo)
40gb PS3 (PSN: BigBadPolo)
Wii
post #8 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagster
What happened to the Truehd track that both of these was supposed to have?
It appear that the original Universal Press release was in error. HDDVDblogspot announced at the start of september that they wouldn't be in trueHd..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #9 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'm sure Universal will re-release Movies #1/#2 in a few years with a lossless track. :rolleyes:
post #10 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched Tokyo Drift...WOW great picture, bass from BEHIND me...and the "U-control" was ridiculous!! Just go into setup, turn it on, then go to 1 hr. 12 min into the movie. You can see PIP, storyboards, production shots, a GPS of the race, and a tally of damage done ot the car during the race...all at your control. It was really cool . It even impressed my 11 year old, who is typically numb to these things, as he is of the computer, IM, runscape era...

One note, what a godawfully bad movie if you actually wanted to watch it as a regular movie!!! But what a fun experience

TCL Product Evangelist
post #11 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM

While i do think we will se re-releases in HD, i do not believe it will be akin to the constant double/triple/quadruple dipping on DVD. the market will just not sustain it, and frankly our expectations this time around are much higher. We want great right out of the gate. Much less patience with regards to mistakes and added bonus content.
post #12 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I quickly checked these 3 out today not entirely through but watched a minute or two of each chapter, heres my thoughts

Fast and the Furious PQ=Good SQ=Great

2 Fast 2 Furious PQ=Great SQ=Great

Tokyo Drift PQ=Reference SQ=Great (near reference)

Definate must owns but not leaps and bounds better than the DVD's.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray & UHD 4K supporter: UBP-x800, XB1X, PS3-60gb, and (2) Oppo BDP-203's
TV's: xbr55x850b/kdl55hx729/un49ks8000

Audio: Denon/Polk, Onkyo/Klipsch-Sony, Samsung SB
post #13 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Here's my take on Tokyo Drift:

Video - Tokyo Drift arrives courtesy of Universal Studios in a 1080p 2:35:1 Widescreen Aspect Ratio. I don’t even know where to begin with the transfer at hand as everything is completely impressive here. The transfer, like Ray, demands to be seen.

Due to this film boasting one of the newest transfers (in relevance to theater date-street date) on HD-DVD, the print is problem free. First off, colors are gorgeously crystal clear. The warm city lights of Tokyo are brought alive via lush darks and vivid bright yellows. The obvious attraction of the film, being the cars, are sparkling and, well for use of a better term here, tricked out. I sometimes worried that all the attention to detail on each and every car would result in some of the car’s looking overly shiny thus creating a poor image. No such thing is found here. The attention to detail on Universal’s part is immaculate here.

After watching the film for a second time, I could not detect one area where the film’s image wasn’t sharp. Little items like artifacts, grain, pixilation, and edge enhancement is nowhere to be found.

It has been said somewhere that Tokyo is on Toshiba’s demo truck running across the country showing everyone what HD-DVD is all about. What a perfect choice as even though every week it seems someone is writing that ‘X’ title is the newest reference title from Universal, this week I can easily write that Tokyo Drift is the new video reference title for HD-DVD. What an amazingly visual feast.

Audio - Presented to us in the standard Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 with either English, Francais, or Espanol options, Tokyo sounds almost as good as it looks.

Boom, zoom, bang, crash! First off, I will comment that this is the type of film, obviously, that cried for a Dolby TrueHD audio track. Universal told everyone it was going to include one on early specifications reports, but has opted in the end not to include this. I assume this is probably due to this film being released as a HD-DVD/DVD Combo. Oh well, I guess this will be an excuse for Universal to re-release this film down the road.

The dynamic range of the film is probably one of the more impressive efforts I’ve heard thus far on HD-DVD. When you pop this disc in for someone, the first scenes that everyone will want to see are the car race sequences or the various crashes. This is completely understandable as all the little sounds are shown off in excellent form. Surrounds are some of the best yet heard. The bigger car crashes cause a ringing effect creating a truly awesome experience. Even the little sounds like people cheering, crowds yelling and tires screeching are delivered in great form.

Dialogue, surprisingly I might add, was no real issue. I had feared that the overly loud audio track would require myself to consistently raise and lower the volume. Granted I use using the remote a lot, but that was more for the awesome Picture in Picture extra (more on that later though). One of my favorite demo scenes (which I rewound quite a bit) was the sequence (chapter 8 I believe) where Han and Sean are drifiting around the car in the middle of an intersection. Truly great stuff when it’s pumped up loud.
post #14 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just watched a good chunk of the first film and compared it to the SD-DVD. Honestly, I didn't see a huge difference. Yes, colors were a little more accurate and there was more fine detail, but this isn't a disc that will wow you in the way that U-571 or Training Day will.

I'm wondering if this is related to the transfer or because of the bits used for the In-Movie Experience. Unlike the SD-DVD, the HD DVD lacks a DTS track. I'm hoping that the In-Movie Experience uses some new material rather than a rehash of the Special Edition documentaries.
post #15 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 09:38 PM

This movie is awesome!

all I have to say is ch15...crank it up and this whole new level of interactivity is very cool.

If you are still a BD "Brainwashed Drone" supporter watch this movie, play with the menus and you will experience what the next generation in optical disc is all about!

Big DLP
Small Room

Difficult takes a dayÂImpossible takes a weekÂ..S. Carter
post #16 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 11:22 PM

Picked up The Fast And The Furious. Definetly a Tier 2 title for picture. Good, but not as good as Seabiscuit or Riddick. Still have some grain in certain scenes.
post #17 of 46 Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am bummed as I was hoping FnF would be reference , my wife actually went out and picked it up for me as a surprise and I hated telling her that it will be going back . Ah well guess I will be waiting for Oct. 10th before buying any new HD DVD's .

Thanks for the comments , saved me from opening it ;) .

-------- Jason

post #18 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My disc locked up about 15-16 times and pixilated NUMEROUS times, I think I have a bad disc, I tried everything, I managed to get through it though, the ending is PERFECT (a VERY guilty pleasure for sure for some fans of FNF 1.

I did have to manually unplug the player two times while watching because the glitches locked the player down, but this is the first time it has happened to me so i am not really worried that it is a player issue, honestly it is from what I can tell a 30/9 issue... It would appear that the glue that holds these two disc together was "goopy" I could see major smudges... SO, tomorrow when I go to work (BB) I will simply return it and get a good one.

Out of 32 Discs that I own this is the FIRST one to me messed up... Not really too shabby, I ain't complainin' :)

post #19 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13
My disc locked up about 15-16 times and pixilated NUMEROUS times, I think I have a bad disc, I tried everything, I managed to get through it though, the ending is PERFECT (a VERY guilty pleasure for sure for some fans of FNF 1.

I did have to manually unplug the player two times while watching because the glitches locked the player down, but this is the first time it has happened to me so i am not really worried that it is a player issue, honestly it is from what I can tell a 30/9 issue... It would appear that the glue that holds these two disc together was "goopy" I could see major smudges... SO, tomorrow when I go to work (BB) I will simply return it and get a good one.

Out of 32 Discs that I own this is the FIRST one to me messed up... Not really too shabby, I ain't complainin' :)
Have you done FW 2.0 ????
That could be it

Big DLP
Small Room

post #20 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DaGamePimp

I Thinks it's an excelent idea to have an official thread for the discussion of these HD-DVDs.

As a matter of fact I think there should be an oficial thread for every title (or collection of titles, as in franchise like this one), I mean... man it's getting really hard to keep up with all these threads.

Too much disorganized information and all. Some questions are answered in one thread, some comments posted on other. It's really a mess. And oficial discussion thread for every HD-DVD release would be awesome. ;)

No offense to anyone, but it seems as so many people that puchase a new title wants to creates thread of their own.

So not to stray too much away, but what do you all think? Shouldn't we have some kind of organization or logic to these threads?
post #21 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Final being shipped from Amazon, I will comment on it soon.
post #22 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIL SOT
Have you done FW 2.0 ????
That could be it
Yeah the first day we could, trust me it was the disc, if I could have captured it on my camera I would have... No worries though because I have already got another one and it looks fine... No worries, thanks for thinking of me though. :)

post #23 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Just got the first Fast and the Furious. I had the DVHS DTheater title and I think the HD DVD is a tad bit sharper. Not the very best but at least an 8.5 out of 10 on pq. The Dolby Digital Plus sounds great. Its better than the regular DD.

This movie has a PIP video commentary with the director which is neat. I also noticed it kinda had an easter egg featurette. When you have the menu up and press down pass the bonus features this little Nitro thing is there and when you press enter on it it takes you to a little featurette.

I'm glad I bought this title.

Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #24 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 PM

I got Tokyo Drift and the First Fast and the Furious.

Tokyo Drift is amazing, I loved it in the theatre (since I'm a drift fan), and it's one of the movies I bought the format for.

Best sound I've ever heard from a movie on disc, period. Some of the early HDDVDs that were mastered with a somewhat lower volume seem to be a thing of the past. The same volume I have to crank to on Constantine running TrueHD is WAAAAAAAY too loud on Tokyo Drift over the same analog 5.1 outs. The first race with the Viper is when I really noticed, it was frighteningly loud, and the sub effects in Tokyo Drift are nothing short of amazing, I have never ever heard my subwoofer sound like this! If Dolby Plus can pull stuff like this off, I seriously won't care much about trueHD.

The disc overall is the finest movie presentation i've ever seen. This should be the official demo disc of HDDVD.

HDDVD really is the future if they can keep this up. U Control was pretty sweet, i'll have to watch the movie 3 or 4 times to see all this stuff
post #25 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Is it me or is FF1 very rear-heavy in the sound department (Music, FXs, etc)?

However.... I thought the presenation was great overall.

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #26 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I watched Fast and the Furious last night, and the racing scenes kept me thrown back into my chair! Of course, I'm a Charger fan :D and, IMHO, Vin can do no wrong. He's more fun than the Will Smith's early running man movies.
post #27 of 46 Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13
Yeah the first day we could, trust me it was the disc, if I could have captured it on my camera I would have... No worries though because I have already got another one and it looks fine... No worries, thanks for thinking of me though. :)
Glad to hear everything is working good!!!

How awesome is that damage meter!

Big DLP
Small Room

post #28 of 46 Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

You folks are gonna make me break down and buy Tokyo Drift if you keep this up ;) . I had it in my hand tonight after returning the original FnF but just could not justify the $35 price tag since I really do not care for the movie very much (and I have no use for the combo) .

------- Jason

post #29 of 46 Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 PM

My take on FATF:

Video - The Fast and The Furious arrives from Universal in a 1080p 2:35:1 Widescreen Aspect Ratio. While not as good as Tokyo Drift, this transfer is still quite impressive.

The best part of this transfer (director Cohen even thinks this too) is that a majority of the film takes place in a manner that is meant to show the day and night of L.A. The lush, bright day is brought alive in a fine manner, but I did notice a few scenes where edge enhancement was present. Nothing too annoying, but still there. The night scenes, while not as slightly problematic as the day scenes, did have a bit of grain, particularly around 48 minutes in where Dominic and Vince discover Brian looking into Tran’s business. Here one can detect a hint of grain before Dominic steps out of the light. Again, nothing too annoying, but still present.

Just like the film is suppose to do, the film’s main object of desire, the cars, look (similar to Tokyo) rather sparkly and beautiful. The level of detail is much more impressive here when comparing this side by side to the SD-DVD version. Take the scene where Brian has rescued Vince from the truck and his car is thrown to the side. Looking close up, one can detect little dirt particles if they look really close. While this may not amaze everyone, I found it great that the level of detail had been improved so much.

As Director Rob Cohen told us in the new HD-DVD extra, this film looks as good as good as it ever has. While there are a few tad negatives here and there, the level of detail in some sequences is excellent resulting in another solid, but not demo-worthy experience from Universal.

Audio - Presented in the standard Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 with either English, Francais or Espanol options, The Fast and The Furious, as one might expect, is a loud, robust, lively audio experience.

Dialogue is clear for the most part except when the Extended Viewing feature is turned on causing the dialogue to become mostly muted. Besides that (which I suppose is expected because Universal is expecting that anyone who is listening here has seen the film before), dialogue throughout the film experience is clear and easy to understand in even the more lively scenes. Take the sequence where Dominic and his team is trying to get that final truck. Lots of action, from shotguns blasts to engines reviving, result in a nice mix of pumped up audio and manageable dialogue.

Dynamic range, similar to Tokyo, is great. Every little effect, from tires screeching during the race with the Ferrari, to crowds cheering for Dominic in the beginning race, come alive bringing a new sense of ‘you’re there’ to the film. I’ve always been a fan of soundtracks that give a good balance of lows and highs. This track does that perfectly giving us a rocking good time.

I was pleasantly surprised that such an active soundtrack came off this good. Chalk up another great performance from Universal.
post #30 of 46 Old 09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched Tokyo Drift, and it was very entertaining popcorn flick. Nothing spectacular, but well worth my purchase. Oh, and the video quality was just drop dead gorgeous. The races were pretty cool and interesting to watch as I've never seen races done like that before. As for the extras, I've only had time to watch those crappy music videos (why isn't the GOOD music there???!!) and the one about being in Tokyo. There are just way too many extras for me to watch them all at this point in time.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page