Bluray BD-J delays causing HD DVD releases to be HELD BACK?! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

By the way, everyone, get out there and buy your HD DVD copy of "The Departed".

HD DVD sales are back in front of Bluray sales

Why wouldn't they be? Blu-ray owners have had dozens of new titles to choose from in the last few weeks. HD DVD owners have had, umm, Beerfest. And a few others. At this point HD DVD owners are probably so desperate for new content they should be ordering anything they can get their hands on...

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Copy, go to another thread, paste, submit reply, go to another thread, paste, submit reply, go to another thread, paste, submit reply.....
post #183 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post

I got the email a couple of days ago and wrote back, specifically asking about Harry Potter availability overseas but not in the US. I believe this wasn't a canned response, but I could be wrong (not very enlightening response either, but hey):

Title release plans by country are often different, and the reasons for
the varied timing differ from title to title. The timing for Goblet of
Fire is different in the UK and in the US, and the exact timing for the
US has not been determined (but it will most likely be before the end
of this year.) As a last comment, this is the one HD DVD title from Warner
that is available overseas before it is available in the US. While you
may find this only a little consolation, for the other 65 titles that
we have put out in the HD DVD format, US consumers have had the first
opportunity to purchase, sometimes months ahead of consumers in
international markets. Thank you again for your support of Warner Bros
and the HD DVD format.

You should of mentioned the fact that Harry Potter GOF UK release had the FBI warning screen which means it was a US disc. That fact alone proves that the disc was originally made for US distribution because the overseas discs do not have that screen.

Format Neutral. Living in HD bliss with the A1, A30and PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post

Given the above statements I know you won't listen to reason. But you clearly neglect that it would be illegal for the BDA and/or any other studios to collude or threaten like this. In fact, the simplest scenario, rather than your conspiracies and such, is simply that Warner has made a business decision on their own to do it this way. So go ahead and indetify yourself as an HD DVD fanatic and tell them that you think their business logic stinks, and please do report back to all of us on how that works out for you.

There was no "BD campaign" to get cjplay removed. You continue to have no idea what you are talking about and this was talked about at length. Some posts were removed that might mave made it look that way, but that wasn't the case. And in fact, you should know that two parties (not solely HD DVD related) tried to help get cjplay reinstated.

Well read through the thread til I got to this garbage. Having experienced the vicious desperation of the Blu Ray insider camp at CES up close, I guarantee all kinds of pressures are at work. Sony/Blu Ray/Disney is VERY THREATENED by HD-DVD. The HD-DVD hardware is better ( jeez- it at least works) and the production costs for HD-DVDs are cheaper and simpler too-- a good thing. They can also easily print standard DVDs on the flipside if they wanted, immediately eliminating Blu Ray. The players are a lot cheaper and do more.

Business is business- Sony/Disney and company have a lot of money and shareholders at stake here,,, and they will do anything to win..its very clear. HD-DVD is a better media, has better hardware, and fiscally makes more sense from a corporate standpoint. Studios should all release in HD-DVD and Blu-- Ray as soon as they can and let the market decide. The cheaper/better players that actually work and upscale standard DVDs as well are all in the HD-DVD camp. Blu ray at this point is sort of a joke, with their only advantage being bully like pressure and throwing money around to manipulate all kinds of folks/companies/stores to help what would have been a non-competitive product come out ahead. Pathetic and dishonorable-- but it might work.---if all of those Blu Ray supporters dont start fighting with each other more than they already do.
post #185 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
BY the way, blockbusteronline has 130 BR titles available, and 160 HD-DVD titles available. Just an FYI...
post #186 of 279 Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

Well read through the thread til I got to this garbage. Having experienced the vicious desperation of the Blu Ray insider camp at CES up close, I guarantee all kinds of pressures are at work. Sony/Blu Ray/Disney is VERY THREATENED by HD-DVD. The HD-DVD hardware is better ( jeez- it at least works) and the production costs for HD-DVDs are cheaper and simpler too-- a good thing. They can also easily print standard DVDs on the flipside if they wanted, immediately eliminating Blu Ray. The players are a lot cheaper and do more.

Business is business- Sony/Disney and company have a lot of money and shareholders at stake here,,, and they will do anything to win..its very clear. HD-DVD is a better media, has better hardware, and fiscally makes more sense from a corporate standpoint. Studios should all release in HD-DVD and Blu-- Ray as soon as they can and let the market decide. The cheaper/better players that actually work and upscale standard DVDs as well are all in the HD-DVD camp. Blu ray at this point is sort of a joke, with their only advantage being bully like pressure and throwing money around to manipulate all kinds of folks/companies/stores to help what would have been a non-competitive product come out ahead. Pathetic and dishonorable-- but it might work.---if all of those Blu Ray supporters dont start fighting with each other more than they already do.

great thread, we need more facts then fiction and bd is talking a lot of trash,for the very reasons said by rysa4. business is business and sony and others are using lies and deception to get folks like us to buy there products.in fact i have also talked to folks that were at the ces and its true bd and sony were down right nasty but for good reason as rysa4 said the bd camp is worried about hddvd.i wouldnt worry about hd and univeral being silent at the moment, it wont last.people on this forum talk like toshiba and the hd camp doesnt know what there doing,that so not true and 2007 unfolds youll see what i mean.besides hd and bd are not even a year old yet chill out!
post #187 of 279 Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

By the way, it's nice that you've made a showing in the threads on the BDJ issues now. Would you care to explain what are some of the BDJ issues that are holding up some of these studios?

Thanks!

In an interesting development, Fox and MGM have just cancelled their release schedules for a bunch of Bluray movies, citing "unforseen technical difficulties"...

Talk, could you give us a little feedback here?

http://www.foxretail.com/sadoc/static/528.pdf

http://www.foxretail.com/sadoc/static/530.pdf
post #188 of 279 Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In an interesting development, Fox and MGM have just cancelled their release schedules for a bunch of Bluray movies, citing "unforseen technical difficulties"...

Talk, could you give us a little feedback here?

I have no inside information on this. Perhaps it's related to the AACS compromise?

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #189 of 279 Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

OK Folks! Here's some news related to Warner Releases.

It looks like The MATRIX and The MATRIX RELOADED are on sale on Canadian Websites for Best Buy and Future shop - with a Release date listed as April 10th!! This COULD be our big break!

(See this thread - https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30 )

There's no confirmation officially, nor on whether this will be the same date for the US, so PERHAPS it would be a good idea to send a follow-up letter to Warner asking them whether they can please confirm, and whether they will be releasing in the US as well - given their last letter?

These are the emails used before for the first letter, and at the bottom is some suggested copy for the letter you could send this time around. I will not be sending this out to the Petition Database, folks, so go ahead and send this from this page if you'd like - Don't wait for an HD NOW email.

IF YOU get an ERROR page on either of the forms, just hit the "Retry" button on your browser.

Customer Service Form - http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/main/...er_service.jsp
Choose "DVD / Video" from the pulldown menu.

Fan Mail Form - http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/main/help/fan_mail.jsp
Enter "HD DVD" as the name of your favourite star.

Email Address - [email protected]

------------------ SAMPLE LETTER ---------------

Dear Warner Home Video,

I have noticed that The Matrix and The Matrix Reoladed HD DVDs have recently gone on sale on some Canadian websites with a release date of April 10th, 2007!

I am absolutely THRILLED to see this good news, and am very excited that you are choosing to go ahead with releases like this to the Hi Def formats. As you know, we are all very excited in the knowledge that you will be releasing these GREAT titles to either format as soon as they are ready!

Could you confirm that this release date is correct and also could you please tell me the good news that they will be released in the US as well?

This would be fantastic news which would be welcomed by all of us

THANK YOU!

Yours faithfully,
post #190 of 279 Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yep, Sony will do just about anything.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/9548/52/

I smell a rat.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #191 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_id=10426

I said this was a false scare, didn't I?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #192 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Has this been confirmed? May 22? I'm so there.
J
post #193 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Now why on Earth would The Matrix trilogy being released on HD DVD several months ahead of Blu Ray scare you?
post #194 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

Now why on Earth would The Matrix trilogy being released on HD DVD several months ahead of Blu Ray scare you?

I mean: the announcement of The Matrix for May on HD DVD (with IME) but not on Blu-ray shows that the notion that Blu-ray is not holding back HD DVD releases at all, and that it was an unfounded rumor / scare.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
post #195 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I mean: the announcement of The Matrix for May on HD DVD (with IME) but not on Blu-ray shows that the notion that Blu-ray is not holding back HD DVD releases at all, and that it was an unfounded rumor / scare.

I see. That makes sense then. Sorry to insinuate anything otherwise. But it might be that Warner just said enough is enough after getting a look at the latest hardware numbers. There has been a lot of activity going against the PS3 and Blu Ray since those numbers hit, especially on the gaming side of things (DMC4, AC6, etc.)

It could also be that they got a taste of the overwhelming negativity surrounding Total HD releases and decided to scrap the idea of holding out for a simultaneous release because of it.
post #196 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

It could also be that they got a taste of the overwhelming negativity surrounding Total HD releases and decided to scrap the idea of holding out for a simultaneous release because of it.

A lot of fans on both sides would be happy if that is the case.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #197 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A lot of fans on both sides would be happy if that is the case.

Yes, and the release of The Matrix set in non-Total HD format suggests they are not as firmly behind it as they may have been before. Fans on both sides should be happy about what this release suggests for Warner going forward.
post #198 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 PM

In February, it was reported that some hackers managed to crack the keys for Blu-ray discs and, according to the thread I read on it, the movie industry stopped issuing films on any HD formats for the time being until they could settle the security problems. Maybe that's what this is about.
post #199 of 279 Old 03-21-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think The Total HD Strategy may be For Day and Date Releases in the future.
post #200 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Is it probable that Warner released the Matrix set on HD DVD first to kick up some HD DVD interest and make sure the format war continues? The longer it goes on, the better chance they have to promote their TotalHD disc.

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
post #201 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspig View Post

In February, it was reported that some hackers managed to crack the keys for Blu-ray discs and, according to the thread I read on it, the movie industry stopped issuing films on any HD formats for the time being until they could settle the security problems. Maybe that's what this is about.

The cracks actually started in late December with allegations that one of the PC based software players exposed the AACS keys. HD DVD was first unprotected but the approach used would work for Blu-ray also. As it was. Alert studios should have been able to plan in late December/early January for their reactions to the AACS protection breakdown. It appears that some of them at least, did react quickly.
post #202 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

First of all - I am ecstatic that Matrix is coming.

Secondly, I would point out that we don't know that it would have been released now unless we had all kicked off. In fact - Warner's stated position was that they would release new discs together on both formats.

Certainly, the fact that the Bluray version is not ready yet confirms that there are problems as speculated in the opening posts.

Anyhoo, let's hope they continue to knock out the big hits whenever they are ready.

Yeehah!
post #203 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

We can't be sure that they weren't. Certainly, everything up until the point everyone wrote in to Warner seemed to indicate that they were.

I am quite sure that the outcry and feedback from the buyers was very effective in helping set their ongoing policy in stone. And it certainly didn't hurt to let them know how we felt.

So all in all, I am very satisfied...
post #204 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I do wonder if the date was to steal some thunder from POTC releases.

Very odd that they picked this date. Isnt it?

I know that WB is basically format neutral (while I believe they prefer hd-dvd), but it just seems odd.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #205 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We can't be sure that they weren't. Certainly, everything up until the point everyone wrote in to Warner seemed to indicate that they were.

I am quite sure that the outcry and feedback from the buyers was very effective in helping set their ongoing policy in stone. And it certainly didn't hurt to let them know how we felt.

Of course.

And if you manage to walk from the kitchen to the bedroom without stepping on the lines between the tiles, the monsters won't come out from under your bed at night to kill your mom.

post #206 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 34
haha grubert that is funny.

come on let rjdam in his dreams. he must be still high the matrix collection got released, so he is not acting rationally

and no it is not strange that warner release the matrix the same time as pirats of the carribean. it is very smart marketing. it wouldnt make sence to release the matrix for bluray at the same time as pirates of the carribean. because it would be to expensive for most people.

but warner is very very smart. you see you could say they released the matrix on hd-dvd to skullfook bluray. on the other hand warner could say we release the hd-dvd version on may 22 second since bd java aint finished yet.

whatever we might think warner defence itself well.

however with the up and coming release of happy feet. warner is favoring HD-DVD and there is simply no defence for it.

hopefully warner just finnish 1 format. honest i dont care as long a sthey use the format to their best use.

we all know warner can do vc-1 with pcm tracks as the deprarted showed on bluray. however warner doesnt add the lpcm track for bluray which they could easily have done if they used dual layer.
post #207 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

I do wonder if the date was to steal some thunder from POTC releases.

Very odd that they picked this date. Isnt it?

I know that WB is basically format neutral (while I believe they prefer hd-dvd), but it just seems odd.

Maybe something happened and WB is fading out BLU RAY

And now its time to go head to head with the Blu studios for market share, rember the ad about dual format support? Maybe the Blu studios were beng stubron about THD?

Blu ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #208 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Actually if I may interject here, it means exactly the opposite. rdjam was right from the start. BD Java was holding back HD DVD. Who knew when we would have recieved The Matrix? It would probably have been released 6 months ago if it had not been Bd holding us back...I guess the HD DVD people along with Msoft finally put their feet down on the WB people. And thank God for it.
post #209 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:

You said it, a lot of BR trolls attacked you, but you were right.
post #210 of 279 Old 03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

Actually if I may interject here, it means exactly the opposite. rdjam was right from the start. BD Java was holding back HD DVD. Who knew when we would have recieved The Matrix? It would probably have been released 6 months ago if it had not been Bd holding us back...I guess the HD DVD people along with Msoft finally put their feet down on the WB people. And thank God for it.

Also this might be a sign of how far away BD-J is from being a reality. Maybe this is there way of saying we gave you enough time and still nothing. You would think that they would announced other IME based movies long before Announcing this expensive set, like blood diamond. My guess is Blood Diamond, and HP are next. My next question is when do they get so desperate that they just start co-releasing and just cut out the IME (or make it a sound track like MI:3) for the Blu-Ray version.

I think RDjam was on to something and I think this huge title and the date it is going to be released on lend credence to RDjams theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page