AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HD DVD Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/)
-   -   300 HD DVD edition*PIX* Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/883124-300-hd-dvd-edition-pix-reviews.html)

DrCrawn 07-31-2007 01:44 PM

Enjoy the DVD then?

HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:48 PM

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

Sucks then, I DON'T agree with the style! I think DVD version will work just as good, No need for HD for this!

I don't like Grains, intentional or not!

Whether you like it or not film grain is a natural part of film.

Art Sonneborn 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

You are halarious !I saw this in IMAX it was grainy as all get out . Enjoy the DVD the rest of us film lovers will enjoy the fact that we are seeing a great representation of the original in our homes.

Art

drj2000 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

I disagree. I think the advantage of HD is to present a film as close possible to the orginal master wrt both PQ and AQ.

thewretched22 07-31-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Wow, im not sure what to say to that.

Jayderek 07-31-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

christ.

this is getting as freakin' ridiculous as "oh noes! what are these black bars doing on my widescreen TV! why can't all directors film in 1.78:1 ration!??!!!1111"

metalsaber 07-31-2007 02:22 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

You are halarious !I saw this in IMAX it was grainy as all get out . Enjoy the DVD the rest of us film lovers will enjoy the fact that we are seeing a great representation of the original in our homes.

Art

absolutely agree

Sean_O 07-31-2007 02:40 PM

If you don't think that looks many times more clear and detailed than the DVD your display is broken, at the very least.

Dave_6 07-31-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art

Perfectly said. I agree 110%

ctiq21 07-31-2007 02:48 PM

This is madness!!

Bizill 07-31-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

did you bother looking at the original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

This is madness!!

this is not madness.....

ricwhite 07-31-2007 03:19 PM

I can appreciate that some people don't like the "style" the director intended. It looks as if the HD DVD is the exact representation of the theatrical movie. However, if they had the current version and a "grain-free" version, I'd probably opt for the grain-free. I know it's not what the director intended and it would ruin the "style" of the movie and probably show the CGI work too much, but I just like very clear and clean imagery. Just a personal preference.

danieloneil01 07-31-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I can appreciate that some people don't like the "style" the director intended. It looks as if the HD DVD is the exact representation of the theatrical movie. However, if they had the current version and a "grain-free" version, I'd probably opt for the grain-free. I know it's not what the director intended and it would ruin the "style" of the movie and probably show the CGI work too much, but I just like very clear and clean imagery. Just a personal preference.

Eh, KK looked great and didn't show anything.. I have the movie (in HD-DVD) and I hope the grain doesn't take away from the experience.. I can deal with alot since DVD doesn't seem to look bad to me @ 102"..

Ian_Currie 07-31-2007 03:47 PM

Looks like a great transfer, and I hope the movie is good enough to distract me from the excessive grain.

Reminds me a bit of The Devil's Rejects - the only HD presentation (so far) that I found myself preferring the SD version.

kami 07-31-2007 03:59 PM

The HD presentation allows you to see the intentional grain distinctly and clearly, and not the muddy, muffled mess of "noise" when its compressed down to DVD resolution.

Refusing to watch a movie because of grain is worse than not watching a movie because its black and white.

Pro-X 07-31-2007 04:28 PM

Since this is a Cmbo disc, Just flip the disc and watch the DVD.

Topweasel 07-31-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post

The HD presentation allows you to see the intentional grain distinctly and clearly, and not the muddy, muffled mess of "noise" when its compressed down to DVD resolution.

Refusing to watch a movie because of grain is worse than not watching a movie because its black and white.

Agreed. I mean seriously this is exactly the kind of movie we need Hi-def for. Those DVD shots looks like someone wiped petroleum jelly all over the lens.

rolltide1017 07-31-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayderek View Post

um, that's how this film was MADE. That's the point!

Don't waste your time. Some people think that the second a film hits HD DVD or BD it will magically look as clear and bright as looking through a window. Just like there are those that don't understand what the black bars are for, other just don't understand what HD really means. HD is here to give us the best possible representation of a film's theatrical presentation. 300 perfectly represents what you saw in theaters. If you loved the movie in theaters, you'll love it on HD/BD. If you didn't like the look of the movie in theaters then you will not like it on HD/BD and you'll probably hate the DVD.

I know many people are already getting excited for the future release of Transformers on HD but, we will see these same comments for that movie because there was quit a bit of grain in Transformers (especially dark scenes). I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

joe rz 07-31-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Don't waste your time. Some people think that the second a film hits HD DVD or BD it will magically look as clear and bright as looking through a window. Just like there are those that don't understand what the black bars are for, other just don't understand what HD really means. HD is here to give us the best possible representation of a film's theatrical presentation. 300 perfectly represents what you saw in theaters. If you loved the movie in theaters, you'll love it on HD/BD. If you didn't like the look of the movie in theaters then you will not like it on HD/BD and you'll probably hate the DVD.

I know many people are already getting excited for the future release of Transformers on HD but, we will see these same comments for that movie because there was quit a bit of grain in Transformers (especially dark scenes). I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

I agree.

JE3146 07-31-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

.... I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

Staring at Megan Fox of course

Atleast in transformers...

DMRSX 07-31-2007 05:11 PM

Wow...I can't believe all the complaints about a flawless transfer to HD.

I saw 300 in a digital DLP theater and there was a lot of grain.

Are people saying they don't want a perfect version of the theatrical, they want a "filter-less" cut for home theater?

I'm a little shocked I'm hearing this. If Warner decided to produce a cut of the movie that had no filters it would look horribly fake.

Should Sin City be colored when it comes out? Honestly, WTF?

danieloneil01 07-31-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

Are people saying they don't want a perfect version of the theatrical, they want a "filter-less" cut for home theater?

I'm a little shocked I'm hearing this. If Warner decided to produce a cut of the movie that had no filters it would look horribly fake.

Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the theater in forever so I don't remember grain but I do remember black dots from the film so I'm glad that's atleast not there.. But honestly people have different tastes so you can't expect everyone to like grain or dislike it.. If everyone liked the samething then this would be a dull place..

And Sin City would've been just as bad with color..

Topweasel 07-31-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

If they color Sin City they need to use only a 10 pack of crayons.

egy971 07-31-2007 05:30 PM

I wasn't distracted by the grain in my two viewings. The PQ was amazing and looked exactly like it looked in theaters. Now Miami Vice, that's some excessive grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

This is madness!!

Madness? This ... is ... AVS!!

maverick0716 07-31-2007 05:47 PM

LMAO! I remember about 3 or 4 months ago, people were predicting this EXACT reaction a lot of viewers would have towards this HD DVD/Blu Ray release. This movie would not be the same without the gritty, grainy picture........I love it!

Topweasel 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egy971 View Post

I wasn't distracted by the grain in my two viewings. The PQ was amazing and looked exactly like it looked in theaters. Now Miami Vice, that's some excessive grain.

Madness? This ... is ... AVS!!

But still belongs there. I remember just after seeing the movie, some people were talking about how great it would in Hi-def. Then someone (I forgot who) decreed that people are going to be pissed about the noise, just as we warned about the grain here. The fact is a lot seems to be missed in the theater because A.) A Hundred foot screen really separates the grain and noise to a point that it doesn't look "crowded". B.) the atmosphere in a theater is different and honestly at $10 after ticket, food, and pop per person for a single viewing, its much easier to get sucked in.

Omegasaber 07-31-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Hopefully you can find a full screen SD version somewhere, I can imagine you probably hate those black bars too.

Nox 07-31-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

To each their own.

hugabone 07-31-2007 06:56 PM

Wow, I didnt see this in the theaters but it is grainy as hell. I'm sure its an exact transfer but the graininess could have been toned down.