AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HD DVD Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/)
-   -   300 HD DVD edition*PIX* Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/883124-300-hd-dvd-edition-pix-reviews.html)

metalsaber 07-31-2007 07:20 PM

20 Attachment(s)
I just got done watching this. The movie is awesome as in theaters. The PQ is amazing. Grain didn't bother me. Audio is 10/10. Doesn't get much better than this.

COME AND GET THEM!!!!

Gmaxx 07-31-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

You'll be missing out on what might be the best disc of the year.

The movie is supposed to look like that. I saw it in IMAX and it looked grainy but that was what was intended.

rolltide1017 07-31-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabone View Post

I'm sure its an exact transfer but the graininess could have been toned down.

Then it wouldn't be an exact transfer, would it.

RayPaganJr 07-31-2007 07:45 PM

I'm looking forward to viewing this movie. Expecting it tomorrow from Amazon. My wife just told me that it bothered her eyes while watching it in the theater. Guess I'll be watching it with my dog.

But every time I read about grain, it gets to read like a broken record. Get over it.

craftech 07-31-2007 07:51 PM

Wish I had checked this thread before I bought it today. Truly an ugly transfer with nasty hideous colors. Looks like a black and white film with a sepia color over. Artistic expression or cheapo amateur cinematography using trainees as editors?

John

imprez25 07-31-2007 07:52 PM

I'm watching it right now on the SD side of the HD DVD combo disc (I don't yet own an HD DVD player), and it looks and sounds outstanding. I for one love the gritty grainy texture that the director used. Someone buy my wii, so I can purchase my HD DVD player! I want to see this movie in it's full glory!

metalsaber 07-31-2007 07:57 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

Wish I had checked this thread before I bought it today. Truly an ugly transfer with nasty hideous colors. Looks like a black and white film with a sepia color over. Artistic expression or cheapo amateur cinematography using trainees as editors?

John

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

craftech 07-31-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

Now there's a mindless conclusion. Bravo.

John

Topweasel 07-31-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Only watched about 20-30 minutes with the PiP (which was awesome) but it hilarious listing to snyder talk about crushing the colors (mainly the blacks). This guy like his visual toys, noise, grain, color tone changes, cgi, crushing blacks. Me, I personally think it is a great job.

gosawx 07-31-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

Only watched about 20-30 minutes with the PiP (which was awesome) but it hilarious listing to snyder talk about crushing the colors (mainly the blacks). This guy like his visual toys, noise, grain, color tone changes, cgi, crushing blacks. Me, I personally think it is a great job.

I just finished it, too. Wow!!!

The PIP w/ Snyder commentary really pulls everything together. Anyone who claims to care about how movies are made and what's going on in the mind of the directors and then goes on to say they don't care about PIP commentary really needs to watch this movie two times, the second with the PIP turned on. It's amazingly insightful and entertaining on a whole different level.

This HD DVD is by far the best example of what Next-Gen optical can do for the enthusiast consumer

maverick0716 07-31-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Sadly there will be many, many people who believe the same thing as this guy. They want everything they see to be like looking out their living room window......no artistic value whatsoever. If you want to watch that kind of TV, get Discovery HD.....there won't be any directors changing real life nature.

SKoprowski 07-31-2007 09:26 PM

Just got done watching it- liked it a lot. However, I hate to say this but the most significant thing the HD-DVD version has over the SD version is audio, not picture quality. I didn't find the PQ of the HD-DVD that much better than the SD version. It is definately not the demo disc for HD-DVD I had hoped. To be honest the SD version looks great.

ril850 07-31-2007 09:40 PM

Wow! Atleast it's not a subtitled, can you imagine?

ECH 07-31-2007 10:14 PM

Although I liked this movie it left me wanting more. There is so much more that could be told towards the end. I also didn't see anything mentioned about the Athens and the theater at sea. But none the less I enjoyed it.

Apollo 13 07-31-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Just got done watching it- liked it a lot. However, I hate to say this but the most significant thing the HD-DVD version has over the SD version is audio, not picture quality. I didn't find the PQ of the HD-DVD that much better than the SD version. It is definately not the demo disc for HD-DVD I had hoped. To be honest the SD version looks great.

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

ECH 07-31-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

I honestly have a better appreciation for film grain vs noise. This will probably be the only movie with this level of film grain (that I've seen or will see). However, it still doesn't compare to the total distraction that noise can bring IMO.

unrealman 07-31-2007 10:28 PM

Nice HD-DVD pics of 300 Xylon . it looks actually how I saw it in theaters. minus the Cigerrat burns which was cause by film stock being worn out.

Steeb 07-31-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

See post #68 of this thread.

ludeboy12 07-31-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

I would have to agree. If you don't want movies to be transferred true to form just as they were shot then maybe you should stop watching them and just stick to sitting on the porch or lookin out the window at the world grain free for entertainment.

Sean_O 07-31-2007 11:11 PM

Removing the grain and the color alterations would be like getting the 'unplugged' version of a Slayer album.

gotchaforce 08-01-2007 12:48 AM

Some scenes in this movie are incredibly grainy its really quite ridiculous. About 10 minutes in when Dilios (i think) is around a fire, you can clearly see white little pixels all over him, it looks IDENTICAL to the white dots on the planet earth HD-dvd due to helicopter interference.

BEFORE YOU BUY THIS DVD WATCH THE SCENE IN PLANET EARTH AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT THAT!

jus10 said 08-01-2007 01:17 AM

i watched it today and while there is a lot of grain, it did not take away from my experience. the bright outdoor scenes look amazing and the colors are just really nice. what blew me away with this movie though is the sound. i don't know of a better movie i've ever experienced such great use of the rears and at such a crispness. the part where the arrows begin to hit their shields, you hear clanking all over the room it's just really cool

Genkai Haretsu 08-01-2007 01:29 AM

To get this was a no brainer for me. I meant to catch it at the cinema but didn't, and so i need the closest there is to that experience. I've flicked through the disc, i see the grain, but to be honest, i don't see it as grain, as it is so obviously artistic intent that it loks to be as a sort of 'poserisation' effect that makes everything in the background look like a canvas and gives it the feeling that it is age old.
I think the only problem with HD is that people are going to give a film bad marks because the transfer is not pristine, when actually the point of HD, as said before, is not to have your socks knocked off by amazing visuals again and again, but it is to have the film in your home exactly how it looked at the cinema. People with huge projection screens i would imagine want a cinematic experience, not a perfect video transfer that defies the director's intentions.

Apollo 13 08-01-2007 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genkai Haretsu View Post

To get this was a no brainer for me. I meant to catch it at the cinema but didn't, and so i need the closest there is to that experience. I've flicked through the disc, i see the grain, but to be honest, i don't see it as grain, as it is so obviously artistic intent that it loks to be as a sort of 'poserisation' effect that makes everything in the background look like a canvas and gives it the feeling that it is age old.
I think the only problem with HD is that people are going to give a film bad marks because the transfer is not pristine, when actually the point of HD, as said before, is not to have your socks knocked off by amazing visuals again and again, but it is to have the film in your home exactly how it looked at the cinema. People with huge projection screens i would imagine want a cinematic experience, not a perfect video transfer that defies the director's intentions.

well damn I want to go to the cinama mosts you here visit, because DVD and Hidef movies always look better to me compared to what I saw at the theater.

I can see many ppl now buying this movie with their HD-DVD or Blu-ray player and returning the systems because they will think all movies in hidef look grainy.

Schils 08-01-2007 03:45 AM

Not sure why the folks saying they don't care for the look of the movie are getting dumped on for simply sharing their view - I don't see them taking shots at the guys who say they luv it, go figure. =/

Personally, I hope over time the look grows on me, but I have my doubts. I understand it's "supposed" to look this way - I get it, and I believe the home HD versions are a faithful representation, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I prefer that look over traditional movies, I mean I enjoy a good B&W film every now and then too, BUT...IMO, this is NOT the movie you will reach for when your friends visit and ask you to show them what this newfangled "Hi Def" stuff is all about, in fact, it flies in the face of it, intentionally looking gritty, ratty and lo-fi, all you'll do is discourage them from buying in, and I promise, if you do pop in 300, when they say "Huh?" after looking at the screen - you WILL BE EXPLAINING "no no no, that's what the director wanted it to look like....here, NOW WATCH THIS OTHER MOVIE, see how nice it can look!?"

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the movie and I'm glad I bought it, until the other sword, shields and arrows type movies show up (Gladiator, LOTR, Braveheart, etc), this will do nicely....I just hope this style doesn't become some new trend in movie making - I much prefer the old fashioned artful approach of great story telling, direction, acting and filming - no gimmicks needed, once in a while for the sake of being different, sure, but ouch, I wouldn't be a movie fan if the majority looked like this - rather just go to the friggin' museum.

:::Zips up flame suit:::

Xylon 08-01-2007 03:47 AM

Wait till they see Transformers . . . . . . .

ECH 08-01-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Wait till they see Transformers . . . . . . .

Do you disable hardware acceleration in order to get those pics of the movie?

Jayderek 08-01-2007 05:05 AM

Quote:

well said. (no, seriously)

Once more older films get released we're going to be dealing w/ this sort of "OMG grain!? ick! ick? Why can't every movie look as clear as King Kong and Corpse Bride?! waaaaahh!"

It probably won't be the HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray war that turns people away from hi-def in the end, it'll be the ignorance in seeing the clarity of what film really looks like.

craftech 08-01-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludeboy12 View Post

I would have to agree. If you don't want movies to be transferred true to form just as they were shot then maybe you should stop watching them and just stick to sitting on the porch or lookin out the window at the world grain free for entertainment.

What's so "natural" about all the CGI people and CGI skies and CGI structures and CGI scenery they used in the film?

John

Dave_6 08-01-2007 05:32 AM

^Watch the PIP feature. Would you rather have the movie without all that?? I wouldnt...