AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HD DVD Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/)
-   -   300 HD DVD edition*PIX* Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/883124-300-hd-dvd-edition-pix-reviews.html)

Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM

Its grainy but the picture details are not lost. Unlike some releases.

PQ is the same with the BD version.

DVD......----->HD DVD


Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM


Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM









The new PiP exclusive feature is nice.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 05:02 AM

And people say upscaled DVDs are still good!

Xylon 07-31-2007 05:06 AM

Nasty EE on the DVD version. Unwatchable.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Nasty EE on the DVD version. Unwatchable.

It's too low res to tell if there was any EE used on the DVD version. Though honesty I can't tell what EE looks like.

Xylon 07-31-2007 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post

It's too low res to tell if there was any EE used on the DVD version. Though honesty I can't tell what EE looks like.

This is based on using HD-A1 upconverted watching it on my 92" PJ. This may not be too distracting to others of course if you are not consciously lookin for it. It also depends on the viewing set screen size and resolution (DUH!)

The DVD PQ is just sub par.

EE - Edge Enhancemnt. The bane of large screen PJ users

cybereality 07-31-2007 05:27 AM

Looking good. The special features especially look sick!

price3 07-31-2007 05:56 AM

Thanks again Xylon, I appreciate your work.

TheLion 07-31-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This is based on using HD-A1 upconverted watching it on my 92" PJ. This may not be too distracting to others of course if you are not consciously lookin for it. It also depends on the viewing set screen size and resolution (DUH!)

The DVD PQ is just sub par.

EE - Edge Enhancemnt. The bane of large screen PJ users

Thanks for the caps, Xylon.

300 is certainly my favourite HD transfer from Warner yet - not the usual DRNed/filtered/overly smooth Warner signature look. Some sequences are among the most detailed, "sharp" and clearly defined of all HD optical media released yet. It holds up very well even on a 10 feet wide screen.

About the DVD .... unwatchable, a disgrace.

About EE ... Xylon, NEVER EVER DARE TO WATCH THE RECENT "IN GOOD COMPANY" UNIVERSAL HD-DVD RELEASE!!!! EE from hell.

lgans316 07-31-2007 06:14 AM

Xylon the picture master back in action. Thanks for the caps. So one side of the combo is unwatchable, a disgrace. What's the point in releasing it as Combo. Jus kidding...

HiddenDepth 07-31-2007 06:28 AM

First 2 Pics looks very good you can clearly see the difference between the DVD and the HD DVD, but the other 2 images are almost the same, very soft, both DVD and HD DVD, but i think its the screenshot or the camera, i cant imagen it looks that soft in real like on the 2. picture.

TheLion 07-31-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDepth View Post

First 2 Pics looks very good you can clearly see the difference between the DVD and the HD DVD, but the other 2 images are almost the same, very soft, both DVD and HD DVD, but i think its the screenshot or the camera, i cant imagen it looks that soft in real like on the 2. picture.

The slow-motion sequences are definitely not as crisp as the rest. Result of post processing + filtering. The caps are representative of the quality.

mproper 07-31-2007 07:21 AM

The blue screen thing looks slick, but I'm not sure I like the "300" blood spatter logo in the upper right.

Actually I kindof find the picture window annoying too. Probably just me, but I'd rather just have a rectangular window without the bright red border.

Hopefully mine comes today....shipped on Saturday.

Bizill 07-31-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

The blue screen thing looks slick, but I'm not sure I like the "300" blood spatter logo in the upper right.

Actually I kindof find the picture window annoying too. Probably just me, but I'd rather just have a rectangular window without the bright red border.

Hopefully mine comes today....shipped on Saturday.

I watched it last night and must admit, the blood borders were a bit distracting. they took up much real estate.

coldmachine 07-31-2007 08:30 AM

I would have to say that due to all the processing and grain, this is not IMHO a good example of the sort of PQ that HD can achieve. Whilst a great film, I was rather dissapointed.

Bizill 07-31-2007 08:42 AM

yeah, grain was a bit over-bearing. imho.

5harkology 07-31-2007 08:57 AM

Looks great, unfortunately it will be probably be the perfect movie to showcase the banding on my sharp LCD

siddavis 07-31-2007 09:12 AM

I saw an HD DVD endcap that was playing the promotional loop for 300. I was quite disappointed in the amount of grain in the picture. Really, I thought it looked bad. Not sure if this is true for the full movie, but I'm still getting it!

drj2000 07-31-2007 09:33 AM

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

coldmachine 07-31-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

Yes, I saw it in the theatre. The HD-DVD captures the image perfectly. All i'm saying is that it is not a good example of the detail and clarity possible with HD/BD. I dont mind the stylized imaging or color and gamma madness but the grain is way exessive, and not a little distracting.

Bizill 07-31-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

duh.

try watching the blue-screen PIP. those images are sharp as can be. post-processing added almost EVERYTHING in. great movie to buy for hd dvd either way. sound was impressive and enveloping too.

anam8tr 07-31-2007 12:12 PM

This was CGI grain and noise, much different than camera grain. Camera grain isn't that small and noisy on the film stock they were using. I work in a post house and add grain to a lot of shots, this was added during post, just watch the PIP. Adding grain helps the CGI shots from sticking out like a sore thumb.

Wish there was an option to watch the blue screen with the narration off.

metalsaber 07-31-2007 12:15 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Picked this up at the BB. Can't wait to get home and review.

turansformer 07-31-2007 12:19 PM

Nice shots Xylon. Every time I forget how good my decision was to buy my HD-A1, I'll just browse through your comparison pics.

Mustang1 07-31-2007 12:23 PM




HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:22 PM

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

Jayderek 07-31-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

um, that's how this film was MADE. That's the point!

Xylon 07-31-2007 01:39 PM

The look of the film is even explained by the director during PiP. If you look inside the PiP the PQ is TIER 0 but thats not what the director intended the movie to look.

We already know this before the HD discs came out. We all remember from the cinema. Personally the discs look even sharper and detailed.

HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:39 PM

Sucks then, I DON'T agree with the style! I think DVD version will work just as good, No need for HD for this!

I don't like Grains, intentional or not!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.