AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HD DVD Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/)
-   -   300 HD DVD edition*PIX* Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/152-hd-dvd-software/883124-300-hd-dvd-edition-pix-reviews.html)

Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM

Its grainy but the picture details are not lost. Unlike some releases.

PQ is the same with the BD version.

DVD......----->HD DVD


Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM


Xylon 07-31-2007 04:56 AM









The new PiP exclusive feature is nice.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 05:02 AM

And people say upscaled DVDs are still good!

Xylon 07-31-2007 05:06 AM

Nasty EE on the DVD version. Unwatchable.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Nasty EE on the DVD version. Unwatchable.

It's too low res to tell if there was any EE used on the DVD version. Though honesty I can't tell what EE looks like.

Xylon 07-31-2007 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post

It's too low res to tell if there was any EE used on the DVD version. Though honesty I can't tell what EE looks like.

This is based on using HD-A1 upconverted watching it on my 92" PJ. This may not be too distracting to others of course if you are not consciously lookin for it. It also depends on the viewing set screen size and resolution (DUH!)

The DVD PQ is just sub par.

EE - Edge Enhancemnt. The bane of large screen PJ users

cybereality 07-31-2007 05:27 AM

Looking good. The special features especially look sick!

price3 07-31-2007 05:56 AM

Thanks again Xylon, I appreciate your work.

TheLion 07-31-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This is based on using HD-A1 upconverted watching it on my 92" PJ. This may not be too distracting to others of course if you are not consciously lookin for it. It also depends on the viewing set screen size and resolution (DUH!)

The DVD PQ is just sub par.

EE - Edge Enhancemnt. The bane of large screen PJ users

Thanks for the caps, Xylon.

300 is certainly my favourite HD transfer from Warner yet - not the usual DRNed/filtered/overly smooth Warner signature look. Some sequences are among the most detailed, "sharp" and clearly defined of all HD optical media released yet. It holds up very well even on a 10 feet wide screen.

About the DVD .... unwatchable, a disgrace.

About EE ... Xylon, NEVER EVER DARE TO WATCH THE RECENT "IN GOOD COMPANY" UNIVERSAL HD-DVD RELEASE!!!! EE from hell.

lgans316 07-31-2007 06:14 AM

Xylon the picture master back in action. Thanks for the caps. So one side of the combo is unwatchable, a disgrace. What's the point in releasing it as Combo. Jus kidding...

HiddenDepth 07-31-2007 06:28 AM

First 2 Pics looks very good you can clearly see the difference between the DVD and the HD DVD, but the other 2 images are almost the same, very soft, both DVD and HD DVD, but i think its the screenshot or the camera, i cant imagen it looks that soft in real like on the 2. picture.

TheLion 07-31-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDepth View Post

First 2 Pics looks very good you can clearly see the difference between the DVD and the HD DVD, but the other 2 images are almost the same, very soft, both DVD and HD DVD, but i think its the screenshot or the camera, i cant imagen it looks that soft in real like on the 2. picture.

The slow-motion sequences are definitely not as crisp as the rest. Result of post processing + filtering. The caps are representative of the quality.

mproper 07-31-2007 07:21 AM

The blue screen thing looks slick, but I'm not sure I like the "300" blood spatter logo in the upper right.

Actually I kindof find the picture window annoying too. Probably just me, but I'd rather just have a rectangular window without the bright red border.

Hopefully mine comes today....shipped on Saturday.

Bizill 07-31-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

The blue screen thing looks slick, but I'm not sure I like the "300" blood spatter logo in the upper right.

Actually I kindof find the picture window annoying too. Probably just me, but I'd rather just have a rectangular window without the bright red border.

Hopefully mine comes today....shipped on Saturday.

I watched it last night and must admit, the blood borders were a bit distracting. they took up much real estate.

coldmachine 07-31-2007 08:30 AM

I would have to say that due to all the processing and grain, this is not IMHO a good example of the sort of PQ that HD can achieve. Whilst a great film, I was rather dissapointed.

Bizill 07-31-2007 08:42 AM

yeah, grain was a bit over-bearing. imho.

5harkology 07-31-2007 08:57 AM

Looks great, unfortunately it will be probably be the perfect movie to showcase the banding on my sharp LCD

siddavis 07-31-2007 09:12 AM

I saw an HD DVD endcap that was playing the promotional loop for 300. I was quite disappointed in the amount of grain in the picture. Really, I thought it looked bad. Not sure if this is true for the full movie, but I'm still getting it!

drj2000 07-31-2007 09:33 AM

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

coldmachine 07-31-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

Yes, I saw it in the theatre. The HD-DVD captures the image perfectly. All i'm saying is that it is not a good example of the detail and clarity possible with HD/BD. I dont mind the stylized imaging or color and gamma madness but the grain is way exessive, and not a little distracting.

Bizill 07-31-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

I can't believe all these comments about grain and flat color. Did any of you individuals actually see the film in theaters? The grain and color are represented as they were in theaters.

duh.

try watching the blue-screen PIP. those images are sharp as can be. post-processing added almost EVERYTHING in. great movie to buy for hd dvd either way. sound was impressive and enveloping too.

anam8tr 07-31-2007 12:12 PM

This was CGI grain and noise, much different than camera grain. Camera grain isn't that small and noisy on the film stock they were using. I work in a post house and add grain to a lot of shots, this was added during post, just watch the PIP. Adding grain helps the CGI shots from sticking out like a sore thumb.

Wish there was an option to watch the blue screen with the narration off.

metalsaber 07-31-2007 12:15 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Picked this up at the BB. Can't wait to get home and review.

turansformer 07-31-2007 12:19 PM

Nice shots Xylon. Every time I forget how good my decision was to buy my HD-A1, I'll just browse through your comparison pics.

Mustang1 07-31-2007 12:23 PM




HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:22 PM

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

Jayderek 07-31-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

um, that's how this film was MADE. That's the point!

Xylon 07-31-2007 01:39 PM

The look of the film is even explained by the director during PiP. If you look inside the PiP the PQ is TIER 0 but thats not what the director intended the movie to look.

We already know this before the HD discs came out. We all remember from the cinema. Personally the discs look even sharper and detailed.

HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:39 PM

Sucks then, I DON'T agree with the style! I think DVD version will work just as good, No need for HD for this!

I don't like Grains, intentional or not!

DrCrawn 07-31-2007 01:44 PM

Enjoy the DVD then?

HDphile22 07-31-2007 01:48 PM

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

ni9ht_5ta1k3r 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

Sucks then, I DON'T agree with the style! I think DVD version will work just as good, No need for HD for this!

I don't like Grains, intentional or not!

Whether you like it or not film grain is a natural part of film.

Art Sonneborn 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

You are halarious !I saw this in IMAX it was grainy as all get out . Enjoy the DVD the rest of us film lovers will enjoy the fact that we are seeing a great representation of the original in our homes.

Art

drj2000 07-31-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?


I disagree. I think the advantage of HD is to present a film as close possible to the orginal master wrt both PQ and AQ.

thewretched22 07-31-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

Wow, im not sure what to say to that.

Jayderek 07-31-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

christ.

this is getting as freakin' ridiculous as "oh noes! what are these black bars doing on my widescreen TV! why can't all directors film in 1.78:1 ration!??!!!1111"

metalsaber 07-31-2007 02:22 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

You are halarious !I saw this in IMAX it was grainy as all get out . Enjoy the DVD the rest of us film lovers will enjoy the fact that we are seeing a great representation of the original in our homes.

Art

absolutely agree

Sean_O 07-31-2007 02:40 PM

If you don't think that looks many times more clear and detailed than the DVD your display is broken, at the very least.

Dave_6 07-31-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

You are halarious !I saw this in IMAX it was grainy as all get out . Enjoy the DVD the rest of us film lovers will enjoy the fact that we are seeing a great representation of the original in our homes.

Art

Perfectly said. I agree 110%

ctiq21 07-31-2007 02:48 PM

This is madness!!

Bizill 07-31-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

did you bother looking at the original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

This is madness!!

this is not madness.....

ricwhite 07-31-2007 03:19 PM

I can appreciate that some people don't like the "style" the director intended. It looks as if the HD DVD is the exact representation of the theatrical movie. However, if they had the current version and a "grain-free" version, I'd probably opt for the grain-free. I know it's not what the director intended and it would ruin the "style" of the movie and probably show the CGI work too much, but I just like very clear and clean imagery. Just a personal preference.

danieloneil01 07-31-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I can appreciate that some people don't like the "style" the director intended. It looks as if the HD DVD is the exact representation of the theatrical movie. However, if they had the current version and a "grain-free" version, I'd probably opt for the grain-free. I know it's not what the director intended and it would ruin the "style" of the movie and probably show the CGI work too much, but I just like very clear and clean imagery. Just a personal preference.


Eh, KK looked great and didn't show anything.. I have the movie (in HD-DVD) and I hope the grain doesn't take away from the experience.. I can deal with alot since DVD doesn't seem to look bad to me @ 102"..

Ian_Currie 07-31-2007 03:47 PM

Looks like a great transfer, and I hope the movie is good enough to distract me from the excessive grain.

Reminds me a bit of The Devil's Rejects - the only HD presentation (so far) that I found myself preferring the SD version.

kami 07-31-2007 03:59 PM

The HD presentation allows you to see the intentional grain distinctly and clearly, and not the muddy, muffled mess of "noise" when its compressed down to DVD resolution.

Refusing to watch a movie because of grain is worse than not watching a movie because its black and white.

Pro-X 07-31-2007 04:28 PM

Since this is a Cmbo disc, Just flip the disc and watch the DVD.

Topweasel 07-31-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post

The HD presentation allows you to see the intentional grain distinctly and clearly, and not the muddy, muffled mess of "noise" when its compressed down to DVD resolution.

Refusing to watch a movie because of grain is worse than not watching a movie because its black and white.

Agreed. I mean seriously this is exactly the kind of movie we need Hi-def for. Those DVD shots looks like someone wiped petroleum jelly all over the lens.

rolltide1017 07-31-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayderek View Post

um, that's how this film was MADE. That's the point!

Don't waste your time. Some people think that the second a film hits HD DVD or BD it will magically look as clear and bright as looking through a window. Just like there are those that don't understand what the black bars are for, other just don't understand what HD really means. HD is here to give us the best possible representation of a film's theatrical presentation. 300 perfectly represents what you saw in theaters. If you loved the movie in theaters, you'll love it on HD/BD. If you didn't like the look of the movie in theaters then you will not like it on HD/BD and you'll probably hate the DVD.

I know many people are already getting excited for the future release of Transformers on HD but, we will see these same comments for that movie because there was quit a bit of grain in Transformers (especially dark scenes). I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

joe rz 07-31-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Don't waste your time. Some people think that the second a film hits HD DVD or BD it will magically look as clear and bright as looking through a window. Just like there are those that don't understand what the black bars are for, other just don't understand what HD really means. HD is here to give us the best possible representation of a film's theatrical presentation. 300 perfectly represents what you saw in theaters. If you loved the movie in theaters, you'll love it on HD/BD. If you didn't like the look of the movie in theaters then you will not like it on HD/BD and you'll probably hate the DVD.

I know many people are already getting excited for the future release of Transformers on HD but, we will see these same comments for that movie because there was quit a bit of grain in Transformers (especially dark scenes). I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

I agree.

JE3146 07-31-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

.... I don't understand what some people are doing in the theaters but they are obviously not watching the movie. If they had, you would know exactly what to expect on the HD release.

Staring at Megan Fox of course

Atleast in transformers...

DMRSX 07-31-2007 05:11 PM

Wow...I can't believe all the complaints about a flawless transfer to HD.

I saw 300 in a digital DLP theater and there was a lot of grain.

Are people saying they don't want a perfect version of the theatrical, they want a "filter-less" cut for home theater?

I'm a little shocked I'm hearing this. If Warner decided to produce a cut of the movie that had no filters it would look horribly fake.

Should Sin City be colored when it comes out? Honestly, WTF?

danieloneil01 07-31-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

Wow...I can't believe all the complaints about a flawless transfer to HD.

I saw 300 in a digital DLP theater and there was a lot of grain.

Are people saying they don't want a perfect version of the theatrical, they want a "filter-less" cut for home theater?

I'm a little shocked I'm hearing this. If Warner decided to produce a cut of the movie that had no filters it would look horribly fake.

Should Sin City be colored when it comes out? Honestly, WTF?


Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the theater in forever so I don't remember grain but I do remember black dots from the film so I'm glad that's atleast not there.. But honestly people have different tastes so you can't expect everyone to like grain or dislike it.. If everyone liked the samething then this would be a dull place..

And Sin City would've been just as bad with color..

Topweasel 07-31-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

Wow...I can't believe all the complaints about a flawless transfer to HD.

I saw 300 in a digital DLP theater and there was a lot of grain.

Are people saying they don't want a perfect version of the theatrical, they want a "filter-less" cut for home theater?

I'm a little shocked I'm hearing this. If Warner decided to produce a cut of the movie that had no filters it would look horribly fake.

Should Sin City be colored when it comes out? Honestly, WTF?

If they color Sin City they need to use only a 10 pack of crayons.

egy971 07-31-2007 05:30 PM

I wasn't distracted by the grain in my two viewings. The PQ was amazing and looked exactly like it looked in theaters. Now Miami Vice, that's some excessive grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

This is madness!!

Madness? This ... is ... AVS!!

maverick0716 07-31-2007 05:47 PM

LMAO! I remember about 3 or 4 months ago, people were predicting this EXACT reaction a lot of viewers would have towards this HD DVD/Blu Ray release. This movie would not be the same without the gritty, grainy picture........I love it!

Topweasel 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egy971 View Post

I wasn't distracted by the grain in my two viewings. The PQ was amazing and looked exactly like it looked in theaters. Now Miami Vice, that's some excessive grain.

Madness? This ... is ... AVS!!

But still belongs there. I remember just after seeing the movie, some people were talking about how great it would in Hi-def. Then someone (I forgot who) decreed that people are going to be pissed about the noise, just as we warned about the grain here. The fact is a lot seems to be missed in the theater because A.) A Hundred foot screen really separates the grain and noise to a point that it doesn't look "crowded". B.) the atmosphere in a theater is different and honestly at $10 after ticket, food, and pop per person for a single viewing, its much easier to get sucked in.

Omegasaber 07-31-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

I mean, what's the point of HD? To see things Clearly, like much realistic, seeing things much sharper and 3D feel right?

But, with this movie's Grains effect, I Don't think it makes a big difference between the DVD version and HD DVD version.

Both the DVD and HD DVD/Blu-ray will have a lot of Grains anyway, so Why bother with the HD format as it won't look very clear anyway?

Hopefully you can find a full screen SD version somewhere, I can imagine you probably hate those black bars too.

Nox 07-31-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

To each their own.

hugabone 07-31-2007 06:56 PM

Wow, I didnt see this in the theaters but it is grainy as hell. I'm sure its an exact transfer but the graininess could have been toned down.

metalsaber 07-31-2007 07:20 PM

20 Attachment(s)
I just got done watching this. The movie is awesome as in theaters. The PQ is amazing. Grain didn't bother me. Audio is 10/10. Doesn't get much better than this.

COME AND GET THEM!!!!

Gmaxx 07-31-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

WOW the Movie is Extremely Grainy!!!

I will NOT be getting it now... Rent only!

You'll be missing out on what might be the best disc of the year.

The movie is supposed to look like that. I saw it in IMAX and it looked grainy but that was what was intended.

rolltide1017 07-31-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabone View Post

I'm sure its an exact transfer but the graininess could have been toned down.

Then it wouldn't be an exact transfer, would it.

RayPaganJr 07-31-2007 07:45 PM

I'm looking forward to viewing this movie. Expecting it tomorrow from Amazon. My wife just told me that it bothered her eyes while watching it in the theater. Guess I'll be watching it with my dog.

But every time I read about grain, it gets to read like a broken record. Get over it.

craftech 07-31-2007 07:51 PM

Wish I had checked this thread before I bought it today. Truly an ugly transfer with nasty hideous colors. Looks like a black and white film with a sepia color over. Artistic expression or cheapo amateur cinematography using trainees as editors?

John

imprez25 07-31-2007 07:52 PM

I'm watching it right now on the SD side of the HD DVD combo disc (I don't yet own an HD DVD player), and it looks and sounds outstanding. I for one love the gritty grainy texture that the director used. Someone buy my wii, so I can purchase my HD DVD player! I want to see this movie in it's full glory!

metalsaber 07-31-2007 07:57 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

Wish I had checked this thread before I bought it today. Truly an ugly transfer with nasty hideous colors. Looks like a black and white film with a sepia color over. Artistic expression or cheapo amateur cinematography using trainees as editors?

John

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

craftech 07-31-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

Now there's a mindless conclusion. Bravo.

John

Topweasel 07-31-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.


Only watched about 20-30 minutes with the PiP (which was awesome) but it hilarious listing to snyder talk about crushing the colors (mainly the blacks). This guy like his visual toys, noise, grain, color tone changes, cgi, crushing blacks. Me, I personally think it is a great job.

gosawx 07-31-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

Only watched about 20-30 minutes with the PiP (which was awesome) but it hilarious listing to snyder talk about crushing the colors (mainly the blacks). This guy like his visual toys, noise, grain, color tone changes, cgi, crushing blacks. Me, I personally think it is a great job.


I just finished it, too. Wow!!!

The PIP w/ Snyder commentary really pulls everything together. Anyone who claims to care about how movies are made and what's going on in the mind of the directors and then goes on to say they don't care about PIP commentary really needs to watch this movie two times, the second with the PIP turned on. It's amazingly insightful and entertaining on a whole different level.

This HD DVD is by far the best example of what Next-Gen optical can do for the enthusiast consumer

maverick0716 07-31-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

Sadly there will be many, many people who believe the same thing as this guy. They want everything they see to be like looking out their living room window......no artistic value whatsoever. If you want to watch that kind of TV, get Discovery HD.....there won't be any directors changing real life nature.

SKoprowski 07-31-2007 09:26 PM

Just got done watching it- liked it a lot. However, I hate to say this but the most significant thing the HD-DVD version has over the SD version is audio, not picture quality. I didn't find the PQ of the HD-DVD that much better than the SD version. It is definately not the demo disc for HD-DVD I had hoped. To be honest the SD version looks great.

ril850 07-31-2007 09:40 PM

Wow! Atleast it's not a subtitled, can you imagine?

ECH 07-31-2007 10:14 PM

Although I liked this movie it left me wanting more. There is so much more that could be told towards the end. I also didn't see anything mentioned about the Athens and the theater at sea. But none the less I enjoyed it.

Apollo 13 07-31-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Just got done watching it- liked it a lot. However, I hate to say this but the most significant thing the HD-DVD version has over the SD version is audio, not picture quality. I didn't find the PQ of the HD-DVD that much better than the SD version. It is definately not the demo disc for HD-DVD I had hoped. To be honest the SD version looks great.

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

ECH 07-31-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

I honestly have a better appreciation for film grain vs noise. This will probably be the only movie with this level of film grain (that I've seen or will see). However, it still doesn't compare to the total distraction that noise can bring IMO.

unrealman 07-31-2007 10:28 PM

Nice HD-DVD pics of 300 Xylon . it looks actually how I saw it in theaters. minus the Cigerrat burns which was cause by film stock being worn out.

Steeb 07-31-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

See post #68 of this thread.

ludeboy12 07-31-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.


I would have to agree. If you don't want movies to be transferred true to form just as they were shot then maybe you should stop watching them and just stick to sitting on the porch or lookin out the window at the world grain free for entertainment.

Sean_O 07-31-2007 11:11 PM

Removing the grain and the color alterations would be like getting the 'unplugged' version of a Slayer album.

gotchaforce 08-01-2007 12:48 AM

Some scenes in this movie are incredibly grainy its really quite ridiculous. About 10 minutes in when Dilios (i think) is around a fire, you can clearly see white little pixels all over him, it looks IDENTICAL to the white dots on the planet earth HD-dvd due to helicopter interference.

BEFORE YOU BUY THIS DVD WATCH THE SCENE IN PLANET EARTH AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT THAT!

jus10 said 08-01-2007 01:17 AM

i watched it today and while there is a lot of grain, it did not take away from my experience. the bright outdoor scenes look amazing and the colors are just really nice. what blew me away with this movie though is the sound. i don't know of a better movie i've ever experienced such great use of the rears and at such a crispness. the part where the arrows begin to hit their shields, you hear clanking all over the room it's just really cool

Genkai Haretsu 08-01-2007 01:29 AM

To get this was a no brainer for me. I meant to catch it at the cinema but didn't, and so i need the closest there is to that experience. I've flicked through the disc, i see the grain, but to be honest, i don't see it as grain, as it is so obviously artistic intent that it loks to be as a sort of 'poserisation' effect that makes everything in the background look like a canvas and gives it the feeling that it is age old.
I think the only problem with HD is that people are going to give a film bad marks because the transfer is not pristine, when actually the point of HD, as said before, is not to have your socks knocked off by amazing visuals again and again, but it is to have the film in your home exactly how it looked at the cinema. People with huge projection screens i would imagine want a cinematic experience, not a perfect video transfer that defies the director's intentions.

Apollo 13 08-01-2007 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genkai Haretsu View Post

To get this was a no brainer for me. I meant to catch it at the cinema but didn't, and so i need the closest there is to that experience. I've flicked through the disc, i see the grain, but to be honest, i don't see it as grain, as it is so obviously artistic intent that it loks to be as a sort of 'poserisation' effect that makes everything in the background look like a canvas and gives it the feeling that it is age old.
I think the only problem with HD is that people are going to give a film bad marks because the transfer is not pristine, when actually the point of HD, as said before, is not to have your socks knocked off by amazing visuals again and again, but it is to have the film in your home exactly how it looked at the cinema. People with huge projection screens i would imagine want a cinematic experience, not a perfect video transfer that defies the director's intentions.

well damn I want to go to the cinama mosts you here visit, because DVD and Hidef movies always look better to me compared to what I saw at the theater.

I can see many ppl now buying this movie with their HD-DVD or Blu-ray player and returning the systems because they will think all movies in hidef look grainy.

Schils 08-01-2007 03:45 AM

Not sure why the folks saying they don't care for the look of the movie are getting dumped on for simply sharing their view - I don't see them taking shots at the guys who say they luv it, go figure. =/

Personally, I hope over time the look grows on me, but I have my doubts. I understand it's "supposed" to look this way - I get it, and I believe the home HD versions are a faithful representation, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I prefer that look over traditional movies, I mean I enjoy a good B&W film every now and then too, BUT...IMO, this is NOT the movie you will reach for when your friends visit and ask you to show them what this newfangled "Hi Def" stuff is all about, in fact, it flies in the face of it, intentionally looking gritty, ratty and lo-fi, all you'll do is discourage them from buying in, and I promise, if you do pop in 300, when they say "Huh?" after looking at the screen - you WILL BE EXPLAINING "no no no, that's what the director wanted it to look like....here, NOW WATCH THIS OTHER MOVIE, see how nice it can look!?"

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the movie and I'm glad I bought it, until the other sword, shields and arrows type movies show up (Gladiator, LOTR, Braveheart, etc), this will do nicely....I just hope this style doesn't become some new trend in movie making - I much prefer the old fashioned artful approach of great story telling, direction, acting and filming - no gimmicks needed, once in a while for the sake of being different, sure, but ouch, I wouldn't be a movie fan if the majority looked like this - rather just go to the friggin' museum.

:::Zips up flame suit:::

Xylon 08-01-2007 03:47 AM

Wait till they see Transformers . . . . . . .

ECH 08-01-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Wait till they see Transformers . . . . . . .

Do you disable hardware acceleration in order to get those pics of the movie?

Jayderek 08-01-2007 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Do the rest of us a favor and sell your HT equipment right now. You don't deserve to own it.

The fact that the movie was completely shot this way is completely over your head. Please disconnect from the internet now.

well said. (no, seriously)

Once more older films get released we're going to be dealing w/ this sort of "OMG grain!? ick! ick? Why can't every movie look as clear as King Kong and Corpse Bride?! waaaaahh!"

It probably won't be the HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray war that turns people away from hi-def in the end, it'll be the ignorance in seeing the clarity of what film really looks like.

craftech 08-01-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludeboy12 View Post

I would have to agree. If you don't want movies to be transferred true to form just as they were shot then maybe you should stop watching them and just stick to sitting on the porch or lookin out the window at the world grain free for entertainment.

What's so "natural" about all the CGI people and CGI skies and CGI structures and CGI scenery they used in the film?

John

Dave_6 08-01-2007 05:32 AM

^Watch the PIP feature. Would you rather have the movie without all that?? I wouldnt...

Wytchone 08-01-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

The DVD PQ is just sub par.


I came here looking in hopes the PQ for HD/Blu-Ray was better vs normal Dvd.

Guess not grain wise but the PQ was nice.

I found the movie picture quality was absolutely horrible, it's grainy, fuzzy,and dark. I had to up my contrast to the 70ish (normaly at 40). I kept messing with my setting so much I was told to stop and watch the movie, but it did bother me.

Got up this morning and just to make sure I was not having a bad night, same thing.

Compare this to the PQ of the Host and it was very sub par. And I love this movie. I saw this movie at Imax, Digital and normal Film. Just did not expect this much grain and loss of details on the SD release.

craftech 08-01-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayderek View Post

well said. (no, seriously)

Once more older films get released we're going to be dealing w/ this sort of "OMG grain!? ick! ick? Why can't every movie look as clear as King Kong and Corpse Bride?! waaaaahh!"

It probably won't be the HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray war that turns people away from hi-def in the end, it'll be the ignorance in seeing the clarity of what film really looks like.

Buy the HD DVD title "The Searchers". Production date was 1956. It is the oldest title re-released on HD DVD. Then edit your assumption above.

John

ShagMan 08-01-2007 05:40 AM

Thanks for the caps Xylon, bang up job as usual!

cnickersonjr 08-01-2007 05:41 AM

You do realize, that the grain was intentional? I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce View Post

Some scenes in this movie are incredibly grainy its really quite ridiculous. About 10 minutes in when Dilios (i think) is around a fire, you can clearly see white little pixels all over him, it looks IDENTICAL to the white dots on the planet earth HD-dvd due to helicopter interference.

BEFORE YOU BUY THIS DVD WATCH THE SCENE IN PLANET EARTH AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT THAT!


craftech 08-01-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Not sure why the folks saying they don't care for the look of the movie are getting dumped on for simply sharing their view - I don't see them taking shots at the guys who say they luv it, go figure. =/

Don't worry, it happens on these forums all the time. It is generally age related.

Eventually they grow up.

John

FrancescoP 08-01-2007 05:51 AM

I've made the DU Test on those screenshots, and the definition of the source is definitely in the upper tier, even with all the grains:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11182891

alfbinet 08-01-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

Buy the HD DVD title "The Searchers". Production date was 1956.
Quote:


It is the oldest title re-released on HD DVD. Then edit your assumption above.

John

This is not correct. I believe that honor (and I do not use the word lightly) goes to "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn (1938.)

rolltide1017 08-01-2007 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post

I guess this will be the first DVD I'll buy in years. I don't care what anyone says im not spending loads of money on a bad looking HD movie that has a crap load of grain. HD for me is all about clear, crisp picture. If my girlfriend doesn't mind the grain i'll buy the HD version.

Comments like this don't make sense to me because if you don't like the look of the HD version, then the DVD is only going to look worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Not sure why the folks saying they don't care for the look of the movie are getting dumped on for simply sharing their view

Because most aren't just saying they don't care for the artistic style (I could understand that) but, they are saying the HD/BD transfer sucks or is horrible. The transfer is perfect and one of the best HD transfers to date. To say otherwise is just ignorance. Everything in HD is not going to look like "Planet Earth" and it is not suppose to either.

Topweasel 08-01-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealman View Post

Nice HD-DVD pics of 300 Xylon . it looks actually how I saw it in theaters. minus the Cigerrat burns which was cause by film stock being worn out.

Those are actually warning signals to get the second and third spools ready.

sambow87 08-01-2007 08:12 AM

I am running firmware 2.0 and I'm able to use the online features. They are quite neat. I really like the "my scenes" and being able to see different peoples scenes online and watch them. I know it's kind of gimicky but I actually like it quite a bit.

The Valor game is a little confusing, but I have yet to read the instructions. I like how I tried to Spartanize my name at first but the thing does it after.

I also think my sub just broke in because I have never had this great of bass from any movie. Holy crap my room is just shaking!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.