Marantz TT-15S1 owner's thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 10-23-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quick fyi to tt15 owners - even though clearaudio says that the stylus on the included virtuoso cartridge isn't replacable, you CAN replace the stylus.

In this thread a user figured out that the stylus on all clearaudio mm carts are oem audio technical stylus (at95). Thanks for the tip sdolen!!!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88878.0

I ordered a regular at95 stylus (test to figure out how to do the cutting) and an at95 "vivid line" from lpgear.com.

The $30 standard at95 stylus sounded exactly the same to me as the stock equipment. The $80 VL stylus is a huge upgrade to the stock needle, way more detail, I was floored. It's pretty easy to swap needles so a/b testing is fairly low effort. I went into this not expecting anything and came out super satisfied, especially since I can now easily and cheaply replace the needle one the excellent virtuoso cartridge as they wear out.

It's well worth the effort and super easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Resurrecting an old thread:

For current owners - do you find that the arm is too low in the raised state?
After I installed the arm following the instructions, it seems that the stylus is too close to the record when the arm is raised, only a few millimeters.
I checked and double checked and I am sure that I followed the instructions correctly.
post #33 of 44 Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Is the VTA correct? As in is the arm parallel to the record when the stylus is on the record?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
Is the VTA correct? As in is the arm parallel to the record when the stylus is on the record?
Will double check tonight, pretty sure it is parallel or very close to parallel.
post #35 of 44 Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you using the slipmat? Did you also use the slipmat spacer when screwing in and setting the height of the arm?
post #36 of 44 Old 07-08-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Are you using the slipmat? Did you also use the slipmat spacer when screwing in and setting the height of the arm?
Yes and yes.

post #37 of 44 Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Yes and yes.

I checked again - with thick vinyl it's only 2 mm so I raised the arm 3 more millimeters - now's it at least 5mm from the vinyl even if it is thick and/or warped.

I fugure maybe my platter is a couple of millimeters higher than spec.
post #38 of 44 Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm that does seem a bit low. Here's mine, although I do not use the slipmat.

Last edited by 10k; 07-10-2015 at 05:12 PM.
post #39 of 44 Old 11-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
motor noise

Hi All

I too got one of these in July, open box deal. I am very happy, except the motor noise is creeping in. I noticed when recording needledrops first (username TR PD on the tubes) but now I seem to notice it more. When holding the motor, it seems to vibrate more, like it might fail. I bought an Auralex base but it didn't help that much. I am about to order some sorbothane sheets. Is anyone here aware of upgrades from the manufacturer?

Thanks

Pedro
post #40 of 44 Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just purchased and assembled one of these today and had the same issue as durack. Coming from a Rega RP1 turntable, it seemed like the tonearm on this might have been just a little too low. But after looking at the pictures in this thread, mine looks more like 10k's so I guess I'm all good there. This was my first foray into setting up a turntable and I'm not sure how I did. On pretty much all of the LPs I've listened to so far, there is a little bit of, I don't know what to call it, static maybe. Right when the needle drops, it almost sounds like someone is taking a shower in the background, if that makes sense. Some LPs have less of this than most so maybe this is just inherent to vinyl and I had never done critical enough listening to have noticed it before. Any insight into that? Is it possible that I set the tracking force too high? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #41 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bump old a** thread!!

I have the tonearm/cart setup per the manual: all the way to the front of the arm.

I'm getting some sibilance; does anyone know which protractor I should be using to check alignment?
post #42 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreen View Post
Bump old a** thread!!

I have the tonearm/cart setup per the manual: all the way to the front of the arm.

I'm getting some sibilance; does anyone know which protractor I should be using to check alignment?
Download the Conrad Hoffman Template Generator and use a 222MM Spindle to Pivot Distance, DIN and Lofgren A or your choice of alignment.

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm
post #43 of 44 Old 11-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Set up

FWIW My inner groove distortion problem greatly improved when I set the head shell back from the front of the arm about 1cm to allow for around 32mm of overhang as specified in the owners manual, and made sure the cart was properly aligned. Of course you'll have to re-check your anti skate and tracking force (with a gauge this should be rather easy). I set mine at 2.2 g and all is good.
10k likes this.
post #44 of 44 Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
I bought my TT15S1 a year ago. After listening to it for sometime, I realized the channels were out of phase. I rechecked the cartridge connections and they were as the manual showed. So on a hunch, I reversed the wires on one channel. And sure enough, the sound was full, with proper soundstage.

So Denophile, the dull sound you had might be for the same reason, the internal wire connection in the tonearm might be out of phase.
Sorry to quote an ancient post, but I just bought a TT-15S1 and ran into the exact same issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page