"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #3811 of 3886 Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Good to hear. With my recovery-cd's and 2TB disks in my Olives, I never got a working Olive with the recovery. But with my backup-disks I could always restore partition 5 (config) and 7 (data: music!) afterwards, and then all went well. The recovery cd is fine to recover the very first partition, that has invalid data for the outer world. A normal backup/restore program for partitions can't recover that one. It's a security measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3886 Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Olive 03HD Recovery Files

Hi all,

Stumbled across this site whilst looking everywhere for the recovery files for the 03HD server. It seems Olive have completely disregarded it's old products and customers! Does anyone happen to know where I can get the recovery files? Would love to get this thing working again without all of my old mans music on it... Any help is much appreciated.
post #3813 of 3886 Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 3886 Old 02-08-2018, 04:00 AM

Thanks a lot for that! Can't get the thing to restore though.. Using the holding down centre and down buttons method it asks for the USB recovery disk but then doesn't recognise it when I have plugged it in and just stays on that screen indefinitely.

Trying a restore from the menu on the Olive after it recognizes a USB device has been inserted, the process looks as though it's starting but just hangs on 0%.

I have tried doing a software update first also, but that doesn't seem to want to play ball either.

Is there another guide I should be following for the files you have provided?

Thanks.
post #3815 of 3886 Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no Olive 03HD, so no hands-on experience. But keep in mind that a recovery is another procedure than a restore. A recovery will wipe out all music, but can lead to a working Olive, after which a restore would help to put all the music back on it.

Marc
post #3816 of 3886 Old 02-14-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My ageing Olive 4, still functioning though, protested these days and refused to play music. Damn! It has had a long time without me touching it, and my first suspicion went to the hard disk in it, so, I opened the unit, checked all partitions except the first (by the way, all partitions are formatted in Ext3), and tried again. Alas, no solace.
Time to replace the hard disk, I thought. Especially after I had re-attached all internal connectors, which did not help either.

So, I ordered another 2TB disk. But before it came, my Olive decided to give up on its resistance, and began playing again. Sorry, that I have no clue why, it just happened.

But of course, the new disk on the block arrived, and wanted attention too. I thought it wise to make it ready for taking over, once my Olive gave up again. But no hurry, no stress. I have a bunch of recovery cd's, but not all of them are good. One with 4.14 on it, that never ends without a failure, but it creates the first partition, and one of the two system partitions, and that suffices. My backup disks have all the nice system partitions plus all the music, so, I copied the system partitions the new disk.

No luck though. A message told me that he "Could not connect to host 127.0.0.1 (port 8163)" What the heck?

To make a long story short, it teached me that my 'backup' partitions were no good. After copying them from my work-Olive to the backup disk, and from that to the new disk, did the trick. Now it starts up nicely, albeit with no data on it.

In the mean time I learned that two newly burned recovery-cd's gave errors in the burning process, and indeed could not be used for recovery. As a matter of fact, the factory provided recovery disk with version O3.2.1 (verrrrrrry old) was just right.

My idea is and was, to have two backup disks, both with a functioning Olive 4.1.9 on them, both with all the data on them. When needed I could replace a malfunctioning disk with the backup disk, and have a functioning Olive 4 back. But that strange message about host 127.0.0.1 learned me otherwise. Now I have a better backup disk, but the other one has to be tested too, and I still have the long long winding road of copying the data to go. And getting a disk to work without a recovery CD, that would be rather nice, but is still not possible. That damn rotten first partition is the culprit.
post #3817 of 3886 Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
My ageing Olive 4, still functioning though, protested these days and refused to play music. Damn! It has had a long time without me touching it, and my first suspicion went to the hard disk in it, so, I opened the unit, checked all partitions except the first (by the way, all partitions are formatted in Ext3), and tried again. Alas, no solace.
Time to replace the hard disk, I thought. Especially after I had re-attached all internal connectors, which did not help either.

So, I ordered another 2TB disk. But before it came, my Olive decided to give up on its resistance, and began playing again. Sorry, that I have no clue why, it just happened.

But of course, the new disk on the block arrived, and wanted attention too. I thought it wise to make it ready for taking over, once my Olive gave up again. But no hurry, no stress. I have a bunch of recovery cd's, but not all of them are good. One with 4.14 on it, that never ends without a failure, but it creates the first partition, and one of the two system partitions, and that suffices. My backup disks have all the nice system partitions plus all the music, so, I copied the system partitions the new disk.

No luck though. A message told me that he "Could not connect to host 127.0.0.1 (port 8163)" What the heck?

To make a long story short, it teached me that my 'backup' partitions were no good. After copying them from my work-Olive to the backup disk, and from that to the new disk, did the trick. Now it starts up nicely, albeit with no data on it.

In the mean time I learned that two newly burned recovery-cd's gave errors in the burning process, and indeed could not be used for recovery. As a matter of fact, the factory provided recovery disk with version O3.2.1 (verrrrrrry old) was just right.

My idea is and was, to have two backup disks, both with a functioning Olive 4.1.9 on them, both with all the data on them. When needed I could replace a malfunctioning disk with the backup disk, and have a functioning Olive 4 back. But that strange message about host 127.0.0.1 learned me otherwise. Now I have a better backup disk, but the other one has to be tested too, and I still have the long long winding road of copying the data to go. And getting a disk to work without a recovery CD, that would be rather nice, but is still not possible. That damn rotten first partition is the culprit.
Marc - you are tenacious!
post #3818 of 3886 Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not me, my Olive is
post #3819 of 3886 Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello everyone, I wrote a few posts some years ago on this thread, but haven’t read it since.

My Olive 03HD is still working good, and just recently tested it. It’s been disconnected from the internet for ages, but now that I had to store new music on it, I connected it and try to do a firmware upgrade to no avail. I’m guessing the servers must have been shutdown by Olive? Is there a way to manually upgrade it? Does Olive keep an archive of old firmware? Is it’s necessary? I mean since I don’t have a problem with it, should I do it? Or not?

I’ve read a few past post about this Olives refusing to startup or behaving erratically, I had this happen a few years ago, and contacted Olive about it. They told me the thing is like a computer, you need to shut it down and reboot it constantly. You can’t just keep it on standby all of the time, and they were right, now I turn it completely off every time, and haven’t had a problem with it for years. It does take a few minutes to boot every time, but it’s stable.

Last edited by pablovi; 09-08-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #3820 of 3886 Old 02-23-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #3821 of 3886 Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a few years ago here when I acquired my Opus 4. Still working like a charm but I have been very disappointed by the way Olive is handling his early adopters customers, like me. For instance, the url links in the user manual and those from Maestro are not working any more, the iOS app cannot be used anymore since it does not support iOS 11, etc... I will contact them and post here their answers, if any...
post #3822 of 3886 Old 03-03-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyway, the Olive-app still works in my old Android phone with version 4, and even in my new fairphone with version 6.
post #3823 of 3886 Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Recovery CD for Olive Musica?

A newbie just getting started with a working 160Gb Musica. But I don't really want to invest too much without a recovery CD. So please tell me how to get a recovery CD for a Musica ( or could someone email the ISO, or if too big I can provide an FTP Dropbox or similar). Thanks!

In the alternative, would it be possible to use the 3HD recovery CD to write the first partition then use Linux tools to clone the rest? I really want to set up a bigger disk like 750Gb before starting to load my many CDs.

Last edited by neurocutie; 03-04-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #3824 of 3886 Old 03-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred3000gt View Post
I posted a few years ago here when I acquired my Opus 4. Still working like a charm but I have been very disappointed by the way Olive is handling his early adopters customers, like me. For instance, the url links in the user manual and those from Maestro are not working any more, the iOS app cannot be used anymore since it does not support iOS 11, etc... I will contact them and post here their answers, if any...

Don’t expect any reply, they’ve abandoned their customers. I will never buy anything from them again. It’s just an overpriced product anyway.

Last edited by pablovi; 03-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #3825 of 3886 Old 03-05-2018, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
A newbie just getting started with a working 160Gb Musica. But I don't really want to invest too much without a recovery CD. So please tell me how to get a recovery CD for a Musica ( or could someone email the ISO, or if too big I can provide an FTP Dropbox or similar). Thanks!

In the alternative, would it be possible to use the 3HD recovery CD to write the first partition then use Linux tools to clone the rest? I really want to set up a bigger disk like 750Gb before starting to load my many CDs.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405

But you could give it a try with a newer recovery disk. Try and succeed, or try and fail, but try anyway.
@pablovi : Overpriced, maybe. No, probably. But for € 200 a year I don't feel ripped off.
post #3826 of 3886 Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have the latest SWUpgrade.tar for the 06HD? I cannot find that one on Lydo. Thanks Wim
post #3827 of 3886 Old 04-10-2018, 03:55 AM

Hi all

Long time lurker, and trying to restore my system with hopefully your help!

I have an Olive 04HD that I bought 2nd hand about 4 years ago and have never really got much joy out of. When it first arrived I started ripping CDs but within a few days it couldn't display albums by artist or rip CDs so it went back to the supplier (who are now out of business) who did a full restore. I got it back and it worked nicely for a few weeks.

Maybe I tried to load too many CDs or persisted with one problem CD too many times, but it soon became more erratic when ripping CDs, only working 50% of the time, until finally it got stuck at the white system starting screen, and with one of my CDs trapped inside. I should have just sent it back again at this point but it cost £30 a time in transport costs and I was busy moving house and preparing for a new baby so it went back in the box until I could dedicate more time to it.

That time is now.

Still the same problem - it switches on and gets stuck at the system startup screen and I can hear a few beeps and whirrs of protest coming from inside. There's still a CD stuck in the drive - pressing eject does nothing.

I downloaded the restore/recovery files kindly hosted on the lydo website and put them on a slow formatted FAT32 4GB USB drive. Pressing down and center button together initiates the USB recovery process but it immediately fails with the message "USB recovery failed, please power off and try again" Have tried 2 USB drives (4GB and 16GB) and rebooted about 10 times but no joy.

I have a tri-wing socket arriving soon so I will be able to look inside if necessary.
I think it was my repeated attempt to rip a problem CD (would get 95% through and then fail) that upset it originally so I'm hoping it's 'just' caused a HD error.
I was thinking of buying a new 2TB hard drive to try, but think that might be a waste of money and effort if the USB recovery is failing from the start.

So my questions:
Does anyone have ideas on typical causes for the frozen startup screen? Generally hard disc or motherboard problems?
Does the type of USB drive matter for the recovery, i.e. will a cheap one suffice or does it need to be of a certain standard?
I read in one place that the drive should be at least 4GB, in another that it should be no greater than 4GB - which is the true answer?
Should I just keep repeatedly trying the recovery process? Has anyone tried it where it takes multiple attempts before it starts the recovery correctly?
Is there a magic button combination to force the CD player to eject?

Thanks for any replies!
post #3828 of 3886 Old 04-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405

But you could give it a try with a newer recovery disk. Try and succeed, or try and fail, but try anyway.
@pablovi : Overpriced, maybe. No, probably. But for € 200 a year I don't feel ripped off.
Well apparently recovery CD ISOs are not to be found anywhere...

So can someone comment on the feasibility of this alternative strategy for recovering an Oliva (i.e. replacing its disk drive):

- use a disk drive cloning utility to make an exact copy of the existing, working Olive disk drive.
- use the HD reset utility to get the Olive to accept the new drive's ID checksum.

would this work? Thanks.

If this could work that presumably one could use Linux tools to expand the relevant filesystem size if I also wanted to use a
larger drive... no?
post #3829 of 3886 Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
Well apparently recovery CD ISOs are not to be found anywhere...

So can someone comment on the feasibility of this alternative strategy for recovering an Oliva (i.e. replacing its disk drive):

- use a disk drive cloning utility to make an exact copy of the existing, working Olive disk drive.
- use the HD reset utility to get the Olive to accept the new drive's ID checksum.

would this work? Thanks.

If this could work that presumably one could use Linux tools to expand the relevant filesystem size if I also wanted to use a
larger drive... no?
Don't know the quirks of an Musica. But I know for almost sure that an Olive-disk can't be copied with a cloning utility, because the tiny first partition seems to be damaged (but isn't), and is very hard to be copied.

Having said that, I can't recall to have tried it with a dd utility. But be cautious. Most cloning-utilities will try to recover the contents of the first partition, and like to write a more understandable version of it back, before cloning. Then you have two not working Olive-disks.

I asume that a recovery-disk for an Olive (3HD) won't be recognized by a Musica, but you could try of course.

Marc

Last edited by mumsoft; 04-11-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #3830 of 3886 Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Hi all,

Few days ago my friend gave me two faulty Olive Opus 4. After repair and recoveryng everything works fine exept two points:
1. CD ripping without album cover
2. Internet radio menu is absolutely empty

I guess maybe it's because of old URLs but I don't know how to fix it.
Is there any ideas?

Thank you
post #3831 of 3886 Old 05-06-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No problem. Since the Olive company left the stage, you can't get album covers anymore automatically. But that's no problem, it will still work with Opus. Also internet radio stations seem to be vanished, but you can still add them yourself.
post #3832 of 3886 Old 05-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Thanks a lot for answer

Quote:
No problem. Since the Olive company left the stage, you can't get album covers anymore automatically. But that's no problem, it will still work with Opus. Also internet radio stations seem to be vanished, but you can still add them yourself.
Do you mean to add album covers manually from Maestro?
post #3833 of 3886 Old 05-07-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, not opus (sorry), but maestro indeed. Even when Olive could itself search for album covers, it was not always successful. Now I enter the album title, then select it, and let Duckduckgo (or Google) search for pictures. Usually it finds something suitable.

Radiostations can be added manually via Internet Radio - > Add new station (in Opus). You can't edit them, or delete them, for that you need to edit the file radiostation.xml on disk. Now that I have a Raspberry Pi with Volumio and some thousand radiostations at hand , I don't care much.

Marc
Xelos likes this.
post #3834 of 3886 Old 06-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Hey Guys, new to this thread. I've been working on a friend's 4HD for the last few days. It had the original 2TB hard Drive fail (corrupted sectors), so now i'm in the process of restoring the unit with a new drive but so far have had no luck, so I have some questions that hopefully someone might be able to answer.

1.) Can you use different 2TB Drives as opposed to the WD20EURS 2TB Drive that came with the unit? I have a WD2003FZEX 2TB Drive that i've been trying to format with the recovery CD image and ODB Installer files from Lydo on a USB drive, and while it does perform the recovery process with no issues, the 4HD still seems to be stuck in the boot up phase afterwards. Am I using the wrong type of drive and should I acquire the original type Drive that it came with as the replacement?

2.) Does the new hard Drive need to be formatted specially from a separate PC in order for the Olive to recognize it? As stated in my previous question the usb stick recovery process doesn't seem to be working for me with the blank WD drive I have Currently (WD2003FZEX), but my friend has a spare 500GB Drive that came out of another Olive and when that is hooked up to the 4HD it seems to operate just fine. Am I missing a crucial step somewhere?

Thanks for your time and hoping to find a solution to this so we can get this pupper working again
post #3835 of 3886 Old 06-10-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Afaik one doesn't need to use the same brand 2TB disk for an Olive. Try to combine your not-booting 2TB disk with the 500GB disk. An Olive disk has 7 partitions, partition 1 is the 'mystery' partition that the recovery process hopefully has created. Partition 2 and 3 are the system partitions, one of them has the boot-flag. Partition 4 is the extended partition with partition 5, which is the 'configuration' part and partition 7, which is the 'data' part of the music. Partition 6 is just a swap partition.

You can copy partition 2 and 3 and 5 and 7 from the 500GB drive, and see if that leads to a bootable Olive. Then expand partition 7 to fill up the 2TB.

Marc
post #3836 of 3886 Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for Opus 4 software 4.2.0 for a long time. My olive has 4.1.9 installed and the online update doesn't work, because the link olive.us is not valid anymore. I would be very pleased and thankful if someone could give me a link, where I could download that particular software. Then I could manually install it from usb.

Best regards
post #3837 of 3886 Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no 4.2.0 update for an Olive 4. The last is 4.1.9. For later updates one need a 'better' Olive xHD.
post #3838 of 3886 Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no 4.2.0 update for an Olive 4. The last is 4.1.9. For later updates one need a 'better' Olive xHD.
Hello, mumsoft,

and thank you for reply.

Where do I find the software for the 'better' olive 4HD?

Best regards
post #3839 of 3886 Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarraf View Post
Hello, mumsoft,

and thank you for reply.

Where do I find the software for the 'better' olive 4HD?

Best regards
Wait (patiently) for someone who has kept his or hers updates for his or hers Olive xHD. I have all updates until 4.1.9 for the humble Olive 4. Humble, but faithful.

Marc
post #3840 of 3886 Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Afaik one doesn't need to use the same brand 2TB disk for an Olive. Try to combine your not-booting 2TB disk with the 500GB disk. An Olive disk has 7 partitions, partition 1 is the 'mystery' partition that the recovery process hopefully has created. Partition 2 and 3 are the system partitions, one of them has the boot-flag. Partition 4 is the extended partition with partition 5, which is the 'configuration' part and partition 7, which is the 'data' part of the music. Partition 6 is just a swap partition.

You can copy partition 2 and 3 and 5 and 7 from the 500GB drive, and see if that leads to a bootable Olive. Then expand partition 7 to fill up the 2TB.

Marc
Hey Marc, I gave what you said about moving partitions over from my working 500GB drive to the new 2TB Drive a try and it seemed to almost work, the Olive 4HD is no longer stuck on the initial white startup screen and now goes to the Olive "Save The Sound" Black screen, but from there it seems to be stuck. And now it appears that the working 500GB hard drive I had as a back up as well as a partition unit source is now doing that same thing and I don't know how to fix it. Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page