"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #1021 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any 4HD owners been able to back up? I am a non-tech person (although I work for a software company) and when I called Olive to ask them about the process, they said that you cannot currently back up your 4HD (yikes). I spoke to Matt btw, who is helpful and has been mentioned by others here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Remember, also, that Olive backups, when they do work, are encoded in a proprietary format that only an Olive device can use. So, if your Olive hard disc crashes, you must apply to Olive for repair or your music will be lost.

I get my music downloads from companies like HD tracks, Passionato, and Hyperion, or from CD rips, done on my Mac, and back them up to an external hard disc via USB. I transfer to the Olive 4HS with ethernet--or you can do it wirelessly. That way you always have access and control of the original files, a privilege the Olive negates.

I realize this contradicts the convenience factor that ripping with the Olive offers--but the rips I get using XLD--free, accuracy-verifying software--sound better than what the Olive accomplishes, which always sounds a bit grainy and jittery. For Windows, Exact Audio Copy freeware does the same thing.

gm
post #1023 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Like many of you I really appreciate my Olive Opus 4 music player but have always been frustrated by the user interface and an inability to stream music to an iPad or iPhone. To solve this problem I have written an iPad app which allows you to browse music on an Olive music player and stream it to anywhere in your house. At the moment it can stream mp3 and apple lossless m4a files (I'm working on implementing flac support) from an Opus 4. The program is almost complete and I am looking for anyone who may be interested in beta testing.

I've posted some screen shots and contact information at the website below.

Cheers,

Jay

Sorry for the mangled URL but the forum is not allowing me to post the address. You can replace 'dot' with '.' to get there.
www(dot)wadiaonline(dot)com/pimentomusicplayer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sounds great Jay!!!
Can we stream the music via 3G?
post #1025 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM

A few issues come immediately to mind when considering streaming over 3G. I'm planning on starting on an iPhone specific app in the coming weeks and can explore it further then.

Best,

Jay
post #1026 of 3883 Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post

A few issues come immediately to mind when considering streaming over 3G. I'm planning on starting on an iPhone specific app in the coming weeks and can explore it further then.

Best,

Jay

Thanks! That would be fantastic to have all my music at my finger tips anywhere if it's even possible.
post #1027 of 3883 Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 AM

Jay, it is exciting to hear that, can we try your apps? Besides, I am using 4hd with the updated firmware and failed to use 7-zip to unzip my backup into wave, can you help, thanks.
post #1028 of 3883 Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Hi all.

This is most likely my last post here. I share my tale as a warning for those who come after me seeking the path to digital music nirvana.

Last year I started looking for a way to move as painlessly as possible from my cds to digital. Never having been an itunes user, nor much of an mp3 guy, I was leering of incorporating my pc at all. This is what initially attracted me to the Olive--a standalone component that did the dirty work of ripping, tagging and storing my cds with an interface that didn't require a pc or a separate monitor with remote to operate. I purchased the Opus 4 last spring and got busy (despite the warning from many of you here I might add) feeding my collection into the maw of the beast. Never really thought much about the whole "getting the music back thing." Didn't really yet know the complications with ripping nor even the existence of AccurateRip.

All was good. The Iphone app came out and I got an Itouch at the holidays specifically for this reason. Going from shuffling through cds, taking out and putting away jewel cases to the freedom of the Olive with everything at my fingertips from any room with the iphone app was a revelation. Sure, there were quirks. The screen on the Olive would lock up. I spent nights and nights correcting album art and metadata. If I had used the iphone app in one room and then wandered to the living room where the olive was, it took a minute or two to take control over the unit. The pc interface was always abysmal. Etc, etc, the glitches and problems have been well documented here. Thing is, I always kind of accepted it: I was so overwhelmed with how much better it was then my old way of listening that I chalked it up to the hiccups of fledgling technology.

This summer my drive stopped reading cds intermittently. It started with a few--now it won't read even a pristine cd. I became more aware and concerned with "getting the music back" and started burning everything I didn't have a hard copy of. About 10 discs in, my burner stopped working (I assume mostly because it couldn't even read the blank cd). Throughout all this, the iphone app broke down, I was told it would be fixed about 3 months before it was, 5 requests of mine to Olive to put me on their email list went unfulfilled (I still have yet to received one damn email from them--and yes, I've checked my spam) and was told I'd have to pay shipping to send my barely over a year old unit back for repair.

Meanwhile, I started reading about squeezebox, sonos, etc. Since my drive died, I'd discovered EAC and then dbpoweramp and was loading the Olive through my pc. It occurred to me that after feeding the Olive to an external DAC (which I'd been doing since last fall) I was basically already there. I had an $1,800 NAS + player with buggy software that was useless without my PC. One day, when my Olive did it's randomly stop playing mid-song several times a day thing, I ordered a Sonos and controller on a frustrated impulse. I'll just try it out, I said, just this once. Just until Olive fixes the iphone app. I could always return it right?

Holy F'in Hell!

It was like emerging from Plato's cave.

You know how the Olive just sometimes doesn't work? The Sonos does.
You know how the Olive touch screen freezes? The Sonos doesn't.
You know how you can only use one interface at a time with Olive? You can use the Sonos iphone app, the controller, the pc controller (which is a true fully functional controller) all simultaneously and they respond almost instantly.
You know how you can't get your music back from the Olive? Obviously not a problem with the Sonos.
You know how the Olive costs, what, now $2,500 for the 4HD? I got a Sonos and controller for $550. I plan to add a 2 TB NAS for around $200. That's $750! And I'll still be using the external DAC I'm using now, so there should be no (or minimal) difference in sound (and no, I cannot hear a difference)
You know how Olive's radio is a mishmash of hit or miss Shoutcast stuff? Sonos has Pandora, Iheart, Last.fm, local stations, sirius etc. etc.
You know how Imaestro is worthless as a controller? Well, you know.

And yes, I've since downloaded and tried the new iphone app. It is much better. The sonos app still blows it away for speed, functionality and reliability. I mean, really, I can't select All Tracks and shuffle from the app and get more than one albums worth of tracks?

Listen, this is not a Sonos ad here. You could substitute Squeezebox, Sooloos, an Airport Express, whatever. My point here is that I was astounded at the difference in software quality. Going from cds to the olive was a revelation--going from the Olive to the Sonos was another. Someone here compared the Olive to the work of a child in that regard--I would agree completely. And I was an apologist in the beginning. I shrugged off problems, things seemed like they were being addressed, fixed, albeit slowly.
So I suppose the overarching point is this: the Olive could/should/might/but probably never will be so so so much better. It just seems to me now that they don't have the resources, man-power, know-how, whatever, to do it. (and with that, I'm sure I'll never be getting that email)

Also: I don't mean to offend anyone here who's happy with their Olives, nor flaunt my new-found digital music freedom--I just want to add my story to the litany of Olive woe here. Maybe it will help someone else. My penalty: an $1,800 fine and a sentence of reripping my entire collection yet again. As for the Olive, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe it can be a second player in some room (though of course, as you'd expect, I've had no luck yet getting it connected wirelessly--and how else can I add music?). Maybe I can sell it (though who wants a unit with a busted drive?).

Anyway, that's all.
Thanks for those who've helped along the way and best to all of you in your efforts to Save the Music.
D
post #1029 of 3883 Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post

Like many of you I really appreciate my Olive Opus 4 music player but have always been frustrated by the user interface and an inability to stream music to an iPad or iPhone. To solve this problem I have written an iPad app which allows you to browse music on an Olive music player and stream it to anywhere in your house. At the moment it can stream mp3 and apple lossless m4a files (I'm working on implementing flac support) from an Opus 4. The program is almost complete and I am looking for anyone who may be interested in beta testing.

I've posted some screen shots and contact information at the website below.

Cheers,

Jay

Sorry for the mangled URL but the forum is not allowing me to post the address. You can replace 'dot' with '.' to get there.
www(dot)wadiaonline(dot)com/pimentomusicplayer

Very cool. Maybe Olive should hire you!
post #1030 of 3883 Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Olive has released information about the new 06HD, and for the first time the company provides performance specifications, a good sign. The price is somewhat troublesome: $4999. There's no mention of software interface, or whether Maestro is implemented for the unit at all, just a reference to the current iPhone app.

gm
post #1031 of 3883 Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 AM

Looking more closely at the Olive 06HD site, I found this mention of something called "Music Engine":

"The O6HD is powered by Olive's revolutionary Music Engine including a navigation interface developed with only music in mind. Each music genre is color-coded for easy recognition and every play-screen adapts to show only genre-relevant information. So organizing and browsing your music collection is now officially fun!"

I hope there's more functionality than "fun" to the interface.

gm
post #1032 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric KC View Post

Have any 4HD owners been able to back up? I am a non-tech person (although I work for a software company) and when I called Olive to ask them about the process, they said that you cannot currently back up your 4HD (yikes). I spoke to Matt btw, who is helpful and has been mentioned by others here.

Then, what's this?
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1000

Marc
post #1033 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM

I also performed a back-up of my 4HD. When looking at the drive from Windows, the total byte count looked reasonable. OTOH, I have not tried to restore.

I found it necessary to start with a blank drive as the presence of files on the drive caused the Olive to complain about the drive size.

Bob
post #1034 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is a specific Olive app for the iPhone/iPod, and another one for the iPad in the iTunes store. The iPhone app will not work correctly with the iPad. So if I understand the issue, the iPad specific app does not work correctly on the iPad? Just want to make sure people aren't trying to run the iPhone app on the iPad. Thanks.
post #1035 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 06HD looks great, but a bit beyond my financial means. It wouldn't make sense to have a music server that cost more than the rest of my components combined.
post #1036 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post
There is a specific Olive app for the iPhone/iPod, and another one for the iPad in the iTunes store. The iPhone app will not work correctly with the iPad. So if I understand the issue, the iPad specific app does not work correctly on the iPad? Just want to make sure people aren't trying to run the iPhone app on the iPad. Thanks.
Is it working Z??? Santa might bring me an iPad for Christmas...
post #1037 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Is it working Z??? Santa might bring me an iPad for Christmas...
Not sure. I don't have an iPad... I was told that the Olive iPad and iPhone Olive apps are not interchangable, and you should de-install the old app before you install the new one. So if people are having trouble with the iPad, they need to make sure they are using the Olive iPad app. If people are still having problems with the iPad app on the iPad, well, that needs to be brought to Olive's attention. I just read a review of the iPad app on iTunes that said it works great, which seems to conflict with some observations here.
post #1038 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post
Not sure. I don't have an iPad... I was told that the Olive iPad and iPhone Olive apps are not interchangable, and you should de-install the old app before you install the new one. So if people are having trouble with the iPad, they need to make sure they are using the Olive iPad app. If people are still having problems with the iPad app on the iPad, well, that needs to be brought to Olive's attention. I just read a review of the iPad app on iTunes that said it works great, which seems to conflict with some observations here.
hmmmm.... looks like they changed up things. It's no longer called imaestro in the app store. It's called Olive app.
post #1039 of 3883 Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

find it by searching oliveapp (one word). Just realeased a couple days ago. No ratings...
post #1040 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

find it by searching oliveapp (one word). Just realeased a couple days ago. No ratings...

Thanks for that suggestion: the app is free so this is easy to do: much better now

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1041 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotysystem View Post

I also performed a back-up of my 4HD. When looking at the drive from Windows, the total byte count looked reasonable. OTOH, I have not tried to restore.

I found it necessary to start with a blank drive as the presence of files on the drive caused the Olive to complain about the drive size.

Bob

Oh? Doesn't it format the drive beforehand, as the Olive (Opus) 4 does?

Marc
post #1042 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Its been a while since I did this but I had to use a 3rd party utility to format the drive under Windows due to a limitation of the Windows formatting utility.
post #1043 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

I picked up a Denon AVR-A100 and this receiver will play FLAC files from the Olive 4HD and show cover art: works nicely

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1044 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotysystem View Post

Its been a while since I did this but I had to use a 3rd party utility to format the drive under Windows due to a limitation of the Windows formatting utility.

Ok. It's always handy to have a Knoppix live DVD at hand.

Marc
post #1045 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Hooray! The iPad app speeds access and does it well. The iPad display includes the entire album description line, which the iPhone app truncated. It's fast and accurate, though not as elegantly executed as apps from Sonos, iTunes, and others.

I think that we are the indirect beneficiaries of Olive's introduction of the O6HD: Olive realized they could not sell the forthcoming $5000 O6HD with dysfunctional apps.

Am I too optimistic in hoping that a replacement or repair of the Maestro interface will trickle down (Ah, Ronald Reagan, we're waiting!) to the owners of lesser Olive products?

gm
post #1046 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post

Olive has released information about the new 06HD, and for the first time the company provides performance specifications, a good sign. The price is somewhat troublesome: $4999. There's no mention of software interface, or whether Maestro is implemented for the unit at all, just a reference to the current iPhone app.

gm

I guess most folks spending $5K for a piece of equipment will have some expectation that it will work as advertised, not breakdown on a regular basis, and there will be customer service answering the phones and emails. This could be a big problem for Olive.

Norm
post #1047 of 3883 Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, if you pay $ 5000, you possibly can't have any problems, questions or wishes.

Marc
post #1048 of 3883 Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM

On the Olive site both the O6HD and O3HD are described as having something called the "revolutionary MusicEngine, that seamlessly integrates innovative touch-screen technology with intelligent software."

I am curious whether this MusicEngine software is a fix or replacement for Maestro and whether it might be backward compatible to earlier Olive devices like the 4HD. Does anyone who has the O3HD, have anything to report about MusicEngine?

My inquiries to Olive via email have not been answered, but I have found this typical of Olive's retentive posture. I hope we're not facing abandonment altogether of Maestro, such as it is.

GM
post #1049 of 3883 Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I did hear there might be an upgrade program for existing Olive owners who want the 06HD in January

LG C9 OLED owner

post #1050 of 3883 Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys,

If you look closely at the preview screen of Rondo (Olive Opus 6 R2) in the edit-mode of Maestro, it is easy to detect how the interface on the Opus should have been implemented, but is not.
For instance, with jazz it shows the 'sidemen', for opera's it shows the scene and the act. You can see these fields used in Maestro, but not actually when playing.
So it would be nice and it could be expected that what Maestro shows will eventually be seen on the Olive.
And maybe that's called a musicengine?

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page