"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #1051 of 3883 Old 11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post

[...] the rips I get using XLD--free, accuracy-verifying software--sound better than what the Olive accomplishes, which always sounds a bit grainy and jittery. For Windows, Exact Audio Copy freeware does the same thing.

gm

What you found can't be explained by the software, can it? If the Olive really does a rip-job that sounds less attractive than what you accomplish at your pc, you would expect differences in the resulting files for every track, and that is highly unlikely. Maybe the software of the Olive once in a while makes a mistake - also unlikeley - but that would result in some tracks not so beautiful, or even dismissed, not all tracks.
In reality you found something else, a principle less known, and highly unbeleivable, that ripping from one drive or another can make a difference in the sound even if the resulting files are identical.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 3883 Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

What you found can't be explained by the software, can it? If the Olive really does a rip-job that sounds less attractive than what you accomplish at your pc, you would expect differences in the resulting files for every track, and that is highly unlikely. Maybe the software of the Olive once in a while makes a mistake - also unlikeley - but that would result in some tracks not so beautiful, or even dismissed, not all tracks.
In reality you found something else, a principle less known, and highly unbeleivable, that ripping from one drive or another can make a difference in the sound even if the resulting files are identical.

Marc

I do not understand what you are trying to say. I was reporting an admittedly subjective assessment of files ripped on the Olive 4HD. We have no information, as far as I know, of what software the Olive uses to rip files, whether it is bit-accurate, or error-correcting.

What I do know is that music ripped via XLD on my iMac and transferred to the Olive via ethernet sounds more coherent to me; that is to say, more listenable.

What I did not report in my earlier post is that I also only use the Olive's digital SPDIF output into a Bel Canto DAC3.5VB. Olive's analog outputs I find pretty murky.

...which has brought me to the realization that I have wasted most of the money spent on the Olive, because I essentially use it as an NAS storage device. But the lessons learned are valuable; I now realize that no amount of clever advertising copy will make the new O6HD worth the price, and that I should look elsewhere for a replacement for the Olive.
post #1053 of 3883 Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 3544
from an Olive email:

all 20 spots for the Olive O6HD Fly to SF
promotion have been filled. There was an outpouring of interest in
the product last week and the first 20 units sold in less than a day.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 3883 Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Still looking for people who would like to beta-test my iPad or iPhone app to browse and stream music from an Olive music player.
post #1055 of 3883 Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm looking additional individuals who may be interested in beta-testing iPhone and iPad apps I am writing for use with an Olive music player. The program allow you to browse and search the contents of your music library using a rich graphical interface and stream music to your device. I also working on implementing an option to download albums to your iPhone for listening on the go.

If you are interested in participating please email me at [email protected] or visit the website www.wadiaonline.com/pimentomusicplayer

Thanks,

Jay
post #1056 of 3883 Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I received the e-mail below, offering to send me information on upgrade offers. Unfortunately, the "current Olive product" menu did not include the one I own--the original, unnumbered Opus. I chose the Opus 5 as being closest to that.

Dear Valued Olive Customer,

We're excited to offer a Holiday upgrade program to our existing customers that includes special offers on the O3HD, O4HD, and even our flagship product, the O6HD. Simply visit this landing page and enter your contact info as well as the current Olive product that you own:

www.olive.us/upgrade.html

We'll send you a follow up email with tailored upgrade offers based on your current device. This is our way of saying thank you and ensuring that you are able to take advantage of our latest sound quality and technology innovations.

Take advantage of this special offer by 12/20/10.

Read what the press is saying about the O4HD and the recently launched O6HD and O3HD:

http://www.olive.us/pressroom/review...s/reviews.html

Remember, these upgrade offers are exclusive to current Olive customers. To learn more about the O3HD, O4HD, or the O6HD, please visit olive.us or give us a call at 877.296.5483.

As always, feel free to email or call with questions about this promotion.

Keep Saving The Sound,

Olive Media
post #1057 of 3883 Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just bought another Opus No. 4. It differs slightly from my current version, in that the cd-database has version 1.3.2 whereas the older has 1.2.3.
The display of the new device has one more row, and the background colour is grey. My old Opus has a black background.
By the way, the screws at the back are different too.

I bought this one to have spare parts. And for another obvious reason.

Marc
post #1058 of 3883 Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Something like this might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-100-Piec...1937663&sr=8-1

It is hard for me to get excited about upgrade opportunities given my experience so far with bugs on the 4HD.

Bob
post #1059 of 3883 Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Hi,

My iPhone app for streaming music from an Olive device is almost complete. New features include the ability to download albums. I've added some screenshots at http://yfrog.com/9dscreenshot2010120918094jx

Cheers
post #1060 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
Hi,

My iPhone app for streaming music from an Olive device is almost complete. New features include the ability to download albums. I've added some screenshots at http://yfrog.com/9dscreenshot2010120918094jx

Cheers
Hi: is this app good for Ipod, too? If it is, i'm VERY interested.

Cheers,

Luigi
post #1061 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotysystem View Post
Something like this might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-100-Piec...1937663&sr=8-1

It is hard for me to get excited about upgrade opportunities given my experience so far with bugs on the 4HD.

Bob
Thnx. Well, it's about time for the next software update, isn't it?
Olive has spent enough time at the new gear.

Marc
post #1062 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Good work!
But I have an Android phone, and I wonder what information one need from Olive to get such apps running. Maybe... maybe I could make one myself.
But I'm lazy enough to wait for some else to do the effort

Greetz
Marc
post #1063 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anybody get the iPad version working? I'm expecting one from Santa and hope it's as good as the iPhone app.

excited to try yours Pimento!
post #1064 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two things....

1. Correct me if I'm wrong out there, but I believe as of the last update the iPad "Olive App" (no longer iMaestro) is now working to people's satisfaction.

2. Another software update is around the corner... Not sure if it will be before or after the Holidays
post #1065 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Z... that's what I thought but hadn't really heard anything.

Why did they change the name and not simply just do an update?

Is the update for the app or player? Any hints?
post #1066 of 3883 Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just make sure you download the latest Olive App for the iPad from iTunes, and you'll be fine.
post #1067 of 3883 Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just wanted to feed my 'new' Olive Opus No. 4 with some data, so i choose restore. After a while it says: Restore failed, backup in wrong format.
So, they changed the backup format. I think it has something to do with "Keep off the music!"

The software version is 3.3.1, not the current one that gave me so much trouble. If I update the software, I guess the restore will go, but afterwards, the classical music will not.

So, I really hope the coming update will do some good for the classical section, that is, lift one of the last 64 restrictions that plagued the Opus so long.

Marc
post #1068 of 3883 Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post

Hi: is this app good for Ipod, too? If it is, i'm VERY interested.

Cheers,

Luigi

Should work on an iPod that can run iOS 4.2. Here is a video I made last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOz0dnrbXVw
post #1069 of 3883 Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When do you think you will be submitting this to the app store?

Quote:

Should work on an iPod that can run iOS 4.2. Here is a video I made last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOz0dnrbXVw

post #1070 of 3883 Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

When do you think you will be submitting this to the app store?

Probably have it all wrapped up and submit the iPhone app in the next couple of weeks. After that I will get back to work on the iPad-specific version. In the meantime I would still like to have a few more beta testers try it out before then.

Jay
post #1071 of 3883 Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

I just wanted to feed my 'new' Olive Opus No. 4 with some data, so i choose restore. After a while it says: Restore failed, backup in wrong format.
So, they changed the backup format. I think it has something to do with "Keep off the music!"
Marc

But maybe this is untrue. I checked the backup and I saw I had done a restore on the same drive in an other map. The Olive may be confused by this

Marc
post #1072 of 3883 Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 PM

Recently, my Olive 04HD has developed a new problem. The screen on the font of the unit will freeze after a couple minutes of play. Hitting he left and right arrows at the same time, twice will return it to operation. The unit continues to play the current album, but of course I have to reset the screen when the album finishes so I can select something else to play, since it will not respond to anything until I do the reset.
Since the reset always works, it makes me think it is more of a software issue than hardware, but I haven't changed or downloaded anything with the software so that doesn't seem to make sense either. I am running the current version of the software.
Is anyone else having this problem?
post #1073 of 3883 Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo4HD View Post
Recently, my Olive 04HD has developed a new problem. The screen on the font of the unit will freeze after a couple minutes of play. Hitting he left and right arrows at the same time, twice will return it to operation. The unit continues to play the current album, but of course I have to reset the screen when the album finishes so I can select something else to play, since it will not respond to anything until I do the reset.
Since the reset always works, it makes me think it is more of a software issue than hardware, but I haven't changed or downloaded anything with the software so that doesn't seem to make sense either. I am running the current version of the software.
Do you have this problem with all kind of tracks? In other words, does it make a difference with different resolutions like 44.1/16 or 88.2/xx or 96/24 or so?
Are these tracks in the classical genre?

Marc
post #1074 of 3883 Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Everything I have has been loaded from CD's.
No they are not clasical tracks.
It is everything I play.
After a couple of minutes, the screen freezes. The music keeps playing but the screen stops scrolling the current song tittle and will no longer respond to touch.
Reset the screen and everything is fine for a couple of minutes.
post #1075 of 3883 Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Everything I have has been loaded from CD's.
No they are not clasical tracks.
It is everything I play.
After a couple of minutes, the screen freezes. The music keeps playing but the screen stops scrolling the current song tittle and will no longer respond to touch.
Reset the screen and everything is fine for a couple of minutes.

You should calibrate touchscreen.Take the following pathway from the Olive's main menu : SETTINGS ---> SYSTEMS SERVICES ---> CALIBRATE TOUCHSCREEN. This will bring you to the touchscreen calibration.
post #1076 of 3883 Old 12-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Does this problem also occur if you operate the unit with its remote? If so, this may point to a hardware issue - marginal part, hard drive going south, etc. I would guess software problem last.

Bob
post #1077 of 3883 Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGoccia View Post

You should calibrate touchscreen.Take the following pathway from the Olive's main menu : SETTINGS ---> SYSTEMS SERVICES ---> CALIBRATE TOUCHSCREEN. This will bring you to the touchscreen calibration.

I had a similar issue with mine. It turned out the lower right hand side of the touch screen was constantly being pressed by the outer case. Olive wanted me to ship it back at my expense. I simply pried it open a bit and it's worked ever since.
post #1078 of 3883 Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGoccia View Post

Did this twice. Didn't notice any difference.
post #1079 of 3883 Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotysystem View Post

Does this problem also occur if you operate the unit with its remote? If so, this may point to a hardware issue - marginal part, hard drive going south, etc. I would guess software problem last.

Bob

Don't think the hard drive is going south because when the screen freezes, the unit is still playing, the hard dirve still spinning. In fact, you can still operate the unit with the buttons on the unit or the remote, it is just the screen that is not displaying. It is all lit up with the title of one of the songs it recently played.
If I start up my lap top and connect to the unit using the Rondo interface I can see that is still streaming the current song title, but the screen on the unit is frozen.
I told Olive about the problem and they had me do a factory setting reboot, first unplugging the unit from the AC outlet for half an hour. This seems to have helped. It doesn't freeze as often. Something like once an hour.
post #1080 of 3883 Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I had a similar issue with mine. It turned out the lower right hand side of the touch screen was constantly being pressed by the outer case. Olive wanted me to ship it back at my expense. I simply pried it open a bit and it's worked ever since.

When I first purchased the unit at the beginning of the year, it arrived dead.
I shipped it back, at my expense, over $200 expecting to get re-imbursed, but never did. It seemed at that time that the screen might not have been working at all, though it sounded like the hard drive did start spinning when you turned it on. I don't know they fixed and returned the unit or sent me a replacement unit.

I am wondering if the front screen is a weak point of the unit. Possibly a poor connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page