"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #1081 of 3883 Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any one find a link to release 4.1.4, release date 12/23/2010?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3883 Old 12-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked: 3537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotysystem View Post

Any one find a link to release 4.1.4, release date 12/23/2010?

Release Notes 4.1.4:
- major performance improvements (browsing speed)
- back navigation performance increase
- loading icon shown on right side for better status indication
- backup with a 2TB external hard drive is now supported
- wifi password support for "-"
- supports gapless 24-bit FLAC music playback
- internet radio favorites can be played using the remote control play button
- multiple albums of one artist are shown within the artwork view
- playlist can be burned within the playscreen
- network setup with only one network and no password protection now works (prompted for password before)
- Cancel button added to the usb-popup and support for the button navigation
- deletion of a track/album no longer blocks the navigation back to the main menu
- CD playback is blocked during ripping
- confirmation popup is not shown any more if playmode is set
- iTunes support is disabled by default - performance increasment
-> can be turned on/off via the settings menu

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1083 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo4HD View Post
When I first purchased the unit at the beginning of the year, it arrived dead.
I shipped it back, at my expense, over $200 expecting to get re-imbursed, but never did. It seemed at that time that the screen might not have been working at all, though it sounded like the hard drive did start spinning when you turned it on. I don't know they fixed and returned the unit or sent me a replacement unit.

I am wondering if the front screen is a weak point of the unit. Possibly a poor connection.
The screen part of the Olive is connected with a flat cable to the motherboard. If you lift the lid a bit too high, it gets loose.

For $200 you better invest in some security bits to get the unit open. I guess it would spare you a mere $180

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Release Notes 4.1.4:
- major performance improvements (browsing speed)
- back navigation performance increase
- loading icon shown on right side for better status indication
- backup with a 2TB external hard drive is now supported
- wifi password support for "-"
- supports gapless 24-bit FLAC music playback
- internet radio favorites can be played using the remote control play button
- multiple albums of one artist are shown within the artwork view
- playlist can be burned within the playscreen
- network setup with only one network and no password protection now works (prompted for password before)
- Cancel button added to the usb-popup and support for the button navigation
- deletion of a track/album no longer blocks the navigation back to the main menu
- CD playback is blocked during ripping
- confirmation popup is not shown any more if playmode is set
- iTunes support is disabled by default - performance increasment
-> can be turned on/off via the settings menu
Although they don't mention anything about the problem I have with classical tracks, I loaded the update on my spare Olive. To my relief it seems that playing classical music, and searching for composers now at last works correctly.
Nonetheless, if I had not been able to revert to an older release, I would have been stuck for more than 3 months.

On my spare Olive I had restored my music collection, and updated it to version 4.1.3. At first I thought it did not behave as I expected, because it played all tracks of a (classical) playlist; but when I tried to play the same tracks in the classical genre, it showed the same problems I had with my 'production' Olive, with this version. (So my tampering with the hard disk was not to blame)

My first impression is that it is also much quicker in response
But I only played with this release for an hour or so, so i hope to hear some more comments from you guys here.

Marc
post #1085 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM

The only update I see on the web site is for 4.1.3 and mislabled with the 4.1.2 release date. What gives?
post #1086 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The only update I see on the web site is for 4.1.3 and mislabled with the 4.1.2 release date. What gives?

I just updated it via the web.
For USB I can find only the mislabled 4.1.3 update.
That's nice... you can go back to the old version if the newer version stuck for you (and if your unit does the USB-update).

http://www.olive.us/contact/software/releasenotes.html

Marc
post #1087 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 75
A newbie question: how do i manage the multi-discs boxset? Ex: i have Miles davis Seven Steps to heaven disc 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 everyone as a single entry, is it possibile to show one single entry in maestro with the discs separated inside?
I've assigned numbers to the discs (1 of 7 etc.) but they still displays as single entries.
Thanks,

Luigi
post #1088 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post

A newbie question: how do i manage the multi-discs boxset? Ex: i have Miles davis Seven Steps to heaven disc 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 everyone as a single entry, is it possibile to show one single entry in maestro with the discs separated inside?
I've assigned numbers to the discs (1 of 7 etc.) but they still displays as single entries.
Thanks,

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

You mean an entry in maestro: "Miles davis Seven Steps to heaven" with sub-entries disc1, disc2, disc3 etc.? And those further divided with the track-names?

I think that is not possible.
What you could do however, is treat the discs as a classical work. You have to number them (you already did, I think), and move them to the classical genre, or a sub-genre thereof. They will show up as Unknown work under Unknown Composer, with all tracks in the right order. Edit one track, give it a work name "Miles davis Seven Steps to heaven". Move all other tracks to this work. Edit one track, give it a composer Miles Davis, and move all other tracks to this composer.

I hope this helps

Marc

Edit: just tried it with rel 4.1.4. You can merge two albums without the need to do it in the classical genre. I always thought that it is a classical trick. I can remember to get errors when I tried it in older versions.
post #1089 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just tried the usb-update with version 4.1.3 on my new Olive. That worked. My old Olive does not do that with usb.
To my surprise now with version 4.1.3 the problem with classical music did not come back. So I guess that 4.1.4 updates something that 4.1.3 does not touch.

Marc
post #1090 of 3883 Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since updating my Olive 4 to the latest software release, the iPad Olive app can't find any devices. Am I doing something wrong?

- Andy
post #1091 of 3883 Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Check new IP of yours Olive
post #1092 of 3883 Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post
I do not understand what you are trying to say. I was reporting an admittedly subjective assessment of files ripped on the Olive 4HD. We have no information, as far as I know, of what software the Olive uses to rip files, whether it is bit-accurate, or error-correcting.

What I do know is that music ripped via XLD on my iMac and transferred to the Olive via ethernet sounds more coherent to me; that is to say, more listenable.

[...]
What I try to say is, that imho it does not matter what kind of ripper the Olive uses, but that the whole difference which you experience is caused by the unit you use.
That, if you compare two rips, one with the unknown Olive ripper, and the other with XLD on your iMac, they are exactly the same.
But still they will sound different.
Sorry for replying so late.

Marc
post #1093 of 3883 Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 AM

I hadn't used my Olive 4 HD for some time. recently I began to use it again, and the screen would freeze. the unit would play in the background, the the screen and the buttons would be unresponsive. I was forced to reset each time. I finally contacted Olive and they advised me to disconnect the power, then do a hard reset. this got it to work but still froze. I recently upgraded to 4.1.4, thinking that this would fix it, but it hasn't. Today it again froze. I tried to backup, but the screen froze. I couldn't determine the progress of the backup. So I tried it again and it seems like it is backing up. I feel that all of my issues began after upgrading to 4.1.3. I have misplaced my recovery CD, so I don't know what to do.
post #1094 of 3883 Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yu can download an iso image of the recovery cd from the Olive website.
post #1095 of 3883 Old 12-31-2010, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmed View Post
I hadn't used my Olive 4 HD for some time. recently I began to use it again, and the screen would freeze. the unit would play in the background, the the screen and the buttons would be unresponsive. I was forced to reset each time. I finally contacted Olive and they advised me to disconnect the power, then do a hard reset. this got it to work but still froze. I recently upgraded to 4.1.4, thinking that this would fix it, but it hasn't. Today it again froze. I tried to backup, but the screen froze. I couldn't determine the progress of the backup. So I tried it again and it seems like it is backing up. I feel that all of my issues began after upgrading to 4.1.3. I have misplaced my recovery CD, so I don't know what to do.
Seems you have some kind of a hardware problem.
The screen and the buttons are all on one board, which is connected with a flat cable and a small power cable to the motherboard.
If you are able to open it (and are not afraid of loosing the warranty), you could check these cables.
BTW I posted some images of the unit in this thread. I don't know where...

Marc
post #1096 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi everybody.

I've just pulled the trigger and bought a new Opus 4HD. Unfortunately, until yesterday night I made a quick review of this thread and I'm really worried after reading about so many unfortunate experiences with all firmware versions released so far.

It seems to me the new 4.1.4 firmware is too new and few people has got a deep feeling on it.

My 4HD unit will be here in two weeks or so and now I'm seriously considering to cancel my order.

What do you think guys?
post #1097 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Hi everybody.

I've just pulled the trigger and bought a new Opus 4HD. Unfortunately, until yesterday night I made a quick review of this thread and I'm really worried after reading about so many unfortunate experiences with all firmware versions released so far.

It seems to me the new 4.1.4 firmware is too new and few people has got a deep feeling on it.

My 4HD unit will be here in two weeks or so and now I'm seriously considering to cancel my order.

What do you think guys?

Olive has a 30 day money back guarantee, so why not take delivery of the unit and decide for yourself? I'm happy with my Olive, and while it has its quirks, I have not regrets on buying it.
post #1098 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Zbrett.

I'll read this thread thoroughly.

In any case you're right. I'll wait and play a little with the 4HD and then decide.
post #1099 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

I do believe that 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 are unstable. I was having the freezing issues with the screen and the buttons after 4.1.3. Few people have suggested that it is a hardware malfunction. I do not agree respectfully. This issue has completely resolved after I downgraded to 4.1.2. No more issues with the screen freezing, unit wakes up every time.

In case you want to get the 4.1.2, I just copied and pasted the address for 4.1.4, then changed the 414 to 412.

I was getting worried.
Im glad things are working as they should be.

G
post #1100 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Hi everybody.

What do you think guys?

Bought mine in Aug and after some initial frustrations, I love the thing. With the iPod/iPad apps, it is fun/simple to operate. I am on 4.1.4 and have no issues.
post #1101 of 3883 Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I dont know what it is with my version that doesn't quite play nice with the most recent firmwares?
post #1102 of 3883 Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmed View Post

I do believe that 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 are unstable. I was having the freezing issues with the screen and the buttons after 4.1.3. Few people have suggested that it is a hardware malfunction. I do not agree respectfully. This issue has completely resolved after I downgraded to 4.1.2. No more issues with the screen freezing, unit wakes up every time.

In case you want to get the 4.1.2, I just copied and pasted the address for 4.1.4, then changed the 414 to 412.

I was getting worried.
Im glad things are working as they should be.

G

If you say so, it is a software issue. May I ask what exactly you did to get the old version?
Is it this link?
http://downloads.olive.us/SWUpgrade/.../SWUpgrade.tar
Unfortunately, this works only for the newer models that support update via USB.

Marc
post #1103 of 3883 Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Yes, that is the link.
They dont have the older versions online. I figured if i changed the address, I can access the old version, and it worked.

After I downloaded it, I copied it on a USB memory stick that is fat 32 compliant, then connected it to the olive, and went into the system pref and chose update software and chose via USB

that was it.

Had zero issues since.
post #1104 of 3883 Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get the impression that with 4.1.4 the music plays louder via the digital output, than my previous version 4.1.1. did. Or is this just my imagination?

Marc
post #1105 of 3883 Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

An updated version of the Olive app popped up on iTunes the other day. I believed it is tweaked to work better with the recent 4.1.4 update.
post #1106 of 3883 Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just have sent Olive this message:
Searching composers gives back only 64 works. After that two strings "Nothing found with..." are displayed.
You know, Bach has over 1000 works, Mozart over 600, Haydn, well too much. Something to improve for 4.1.5. I think

Marc
post #1107 of 3883 Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Is the artwork bug where certain artists do not appear, introduced in release 4.1.3, now fixed in 4.1.4?

Bob
post #1108 of 3883 Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Does anyone here have experience using both the Opus 4's and the older Olive Musica and Symphony machines?
I would like to know about the differences between these two groups of products in terms of functionality, stability and ease of use.
Thank you.
post #1109 of 3883 Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM

It appears I am still having problems after downgrading the software. It is still not responding after the unit has been put to sleep, but once it is rest, it works for some time.

Can Someone explain how this can be a hardware issue?

Has anyone come across this issue?

what is the fix?
post #1110 of 3883 Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Elk

Quote:

Is the artwork bug where certain artists do not appear, introduced in release 4.1.3, now fixed in 4.1.4?

I don't know if this is the issue you are describing, but I installed the latest update and have some album artwork that does not display. It is always the same artwork that does not appear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page