"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #1621 of 3904 Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

So, no docs, but dacs.

At least I don't use a dac anymore. In the picture above the dac is still in use, but now for some weeks it sits there waiting better times.

Marc

I have the new Mac mini with an optical out, a Cambridge Magic DAC and NP30, a Logitech squeeze box, DLNA capabilities and an Olive 4. The are all hooked together through a Sony da5600es. It is overkill to be sure. But they each serve a specific musical purpose.

- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3904 Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

I have the new Mac mini with an optical out, a Cambridge Magic DAC and NP30, a Logitech squeeze box, DLNA capabilities and an Olive 4. The are all hooked together through a Sony da5600es. It is overkill to be sure. But they each serve a specific musical purpose.

Some people tell me that "Less is more". It took really a long while before I could confirm this.
My 3 times modified and so to say superb DacMagic was just not as good as the humble chip in the Olive Opus 4, after applying some of this:

(Anyone that wants to hear that and happens to be in the neighbourhood is invited, just write a PM)

Marc
post #1623 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi !

After installing a new Win7-notebook to my Wifi-HomeNetwork I was astonished that no CD-covers were displayed in Maestro anymore (both Firefox7 and IE9) - with the exception of the Olive cover for 'unknown album'.

--> And same result with Rondo under adress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8163/olive_opus.php

Another Vista-Desktop-PC, a Safari-MacBook and an iPhone in the same network keep doing that in the correct way.
And when I disconnect the Win7-Firewall I got the same result !?

Did anyone had this problem, too and fixed it ?

Thanx for helping
Mathew

BTW Which ports uses Olive 4 for which functions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthlande View Post

Hi !

After installing my new Win7-notebook to my Wifi-HomeNetwork I was astonished that no CD-covers were displayed in maestro anymore (both Firefox7 and IE9).
Another Vista-Desktop-PC, a Safari-MacBook or an iPhone in the same network keep doing that in the correct way.
And when I disconnect the Win7-Firewall I got the same result !?

Did anyone also had this problem and fixed it ?

Mathew

BTW Which ports uses Olive 4 for which functions ?

I'll try FF 7 tonight.

But you should report it to Olive I think.
post #1625 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:

I'll try FF 7 tonight.

But you should report it to Olive I think.

Hi Marc,
thank you and report is done !
greetings
Mathew
post #1626 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthlande View Post

hi !

Btw which ports uses olive 4 for which functions ?

IP Port 8163

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1627 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

IP Port 8163

Hi Mark,

thank you for replying - isn't that the port specified in the maestro address - and are there no other ports used which could be blocked ?

Mathew
post #1628 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Some people tell me that "Less is more". It took really a long while before I could confirm this.
My 3 times modified and so to say superb DacMagic was just not as good as the humble chip in the Olive Opus 4, after applying some of this:

(Anyone that wants to hear that and happens to be in the neighbourhood is invited, just write a PM)

Marc

Hi Marc,

mirror, mirror on the wall, tell us more:

Did I understand you right that you don't use an external DAC anymore and instead the internal Opus4-Dac-Chip plus applying these wonderous tubes resp. their liquid content and a brush - and it sounds more naturally/better !? Unbelievable .....

Mathew
post #1629 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not now, I'm at work, and have no time for long stories. Tonight.

Marc
post #1630 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hi Mark,

thank you for replying - isn't that the port specified in the maestro address - and are there no other ports used which could be blocked ?

Mathew

yes the Maestro address: that is the only port I know of

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1631 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Marc,
thank you and report is done !
greetings
Mathew

Just tested it on my Linux pc with FF 7.01, and I see no problems whatsoever with images in Maestro.
I hope Olive will give you a suggestion how to solve this.

Marc
post #1632 of 3904 Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Marc,

mirror, mirror on the wall, tell us more:

Did I understand you right that you don't use an external DAC anymore and instead the internal Opus4-Dac-Chip plus applying these wonderous tubes resp. their liquid content and a brush - and it sounds more naturally/better !? Unbelievable .....

Mathew

Yes, Mathew, quite so. And yes, it IS unbelievable, but true. While it is so unbelievable, I really hesitate to mention this, because the modification is currently only available locally, and only verifiable by local people. I actually had one visitor a week ago, who confirmed it. Tomorrow another friend of mine will come to listen, and next week yet another.

What's in the tubes is a solution with activated C atoms. Activated is also for me not a clear term, although I know what it does. That I won't tell, because again it is unbelievable.
I regard it as the best invention since the dawn of music reproduction. This invention is based on what the Dutch Mr. H. v.d. Heide discovered, as a sound-technician. He discovered that the material that is used in components in audio gear is vital for the sound, and that for instance "koolstofweerstanden" sound much nicer than metal-film resistors, without them showing different measurements. This is true for all kind of components, and with his knowledge he could build an amplifier that sounded much more natural than any other commercially available amplifier.
The technique he used was quite personal, that meant that he could not make it commercial. Two of his colleagues have investigated his method, and found another way of applying the same principle to existing audio equipment, and if you want, they will try to modify your amplifier/cd-player and so on, the best they can. Their method is a secret, but until now almost a hundred audio sets have been modified in the altered Van der Heide way. It is still in the no cure no pay test phase, but eventually I think they will make it commercial (or not, i really don't know). The modifications are free.

The tubes contain a wax-like liquid that can be used on printed boards, aluminium cases and so on.
When I applied it to the motherboard of the Olive, and so also to the sound-chip on it, I first did not realise that this would make my dacmagic obsolete. This one is also modified, but it contains much more material, and i think that is the reason is is beaten by the chip (Not for so called High-res music, the chip won't play that).

Okay, so far.
I can't help to think that I made a fool out of me, but I really don't care. All I care about is how the music sounds.
I have been to many people with really expensive High end equipment, and never found it sounding better than what I now have at home.

Gosh, beat me...

Marc
post #1633 of 3904 Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM

I just wanted to say in case some people still aren't sure, You don't need an external hard drive to back up(and be able to use that content) the olive if You have a computer. As RHG3 wrote few pages back, You just follow His write up about using the xbmc player on Your pc, but instead of plugging in an external hard drive You just open Your computers hard drive instead and copy the olive's content into it. Been doing it last few days and everything seems to be fine) Saves trouble buying a drive.
post #1634 of 3904 Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 AM

I have had an Olive 03HD for several months and read recently about the updated software now allowing USB digital out. My software is up to date. I bought an Arcam rDAC and connected it up but NO sound! The USB input lights up as if connected.The other inputs work well. Am I doing something wrong (eg is there a setting I need to tweak on the Olive?), or is the Arcam just not compatible? If so, can anyone advise whether the Cambridge DACmagic would be a suitable alternative?
post #1635 of 3904 Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the bitrate you try to use with the rCam? But maybe the O3hd is not able to use the USB port, even now with the newest software. Did you check that with Olive?

Marc
post #1636 of 3904 Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Bitrate cannot be adjusted on Olive or Arcam. What HiFi magazine
confirms USB out HAS been enabled in the latest software.
post #1637 of 3904 Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

the USB port is limited to 48khz so if what you are playing is a higher bitrate there would be no output

(not sure if the 3HD outputs audio)

LG C9 OLED owner

post #1638 of 3904 Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 View Post

I tried the XBMC on my Macbook Pro and it can be don but the program crashes a lot. Don't know if that is the case with macs or just mine. But it works the same as on a pc.

It crashed on me periodically too. It seemed to be related to bad tracks. Each time I had to go to the last track that loaded successfully, and then continue from after the bad tracks. It got so that I was working with clumps of albums to minimize my work load.

However, as a previous poster pointed out, once you have all of your songs backed up, they can be read anywhere, and loading a few additional ones as you acquire them is pretty easy.
post #1639 of 3904 Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 PM

RHG3, thank You for letting us know about the possibility of backing the olive up through xbmc, You saved me a lot of trouble!)
post #1640 of 3904 Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM

I started with an Olive Muisca in 2006 and was impressed at the time, still am. I liked the product and upgraded to the Olive O4 in summer of 2008. There were 2 shipping issues were the unit had to be returned since the bottom clips broke, but the third time was the charm and I started using the system and purchased two O2 players to get music around the house. I really like the product, it evolved and delivered great sound.
It's amazing how much can change in about 2 years. Since 2010 then I have had to return the two O2M (remote) players to Olive for software and hardware issues. The one was returned twice, so three returns. Since that last software update which I got early September, with the release notes coming out on September 09/21, the main O4 server started taking a long time to reboot. Well I turned it off to unplug (recommended in the manual) it while I was traveling for work to only find it would not reboot right away, the screen just froze at starting up - please wait'. I let it go for about 12 hours the first time. It came up and ran for about a week and I had to go out of town again I sent Olive an email to ask if the back-ups saved playlists and if this was normal with the new September software update. It was yes to the first question and silence to the second one. Anyway when I got back the O4 would not boot after 24 hours, so I shut it off and went through a few start up procedures. Finally it rebooted and worked. I attempted to back it up, since my last back up was about a year ago. It froze mid back up. I gave it 5 days, the first back took 30 hours, after the 6th day nothing happened. I powered it down and checked the HD drive I was backing up to by plugging it into my PC and nothing was there, unlike the first one, yet it was in working order and new (and yes the proper format). When I finally got the server to reboot, none of my tracks appeared, networking, USB and the disk drive were off line. Essentially it was an almost complete failure. Olive at this time still has one of my O2 players for service. So this past week I spent time looking at WINAMP, XBMC, MediaMonkey and the rest to see if a PC based music server is my future. I liked the light operating system of Olive, but hated the backups which are done in proprietary software so were I can return to 1 year ago if I pay for them to repair it, but I can't take that back up and use it for my PC. I just brought a 2 Terabyte HD for 179.00. Olive's cheapest server 2 terabyte option is currently $2500. Their new system top of the line system runs $5000.00. That would cost me over 4 years (life of the last one) $1250 aside from the cost of my music. I have a nice external DAC and have a receiver which has TI (formerly Brown Burr) DACs. I am not afraid to spend money to enjoy my music, but I for me the value proposition has changed and its time to move on. I don't pirate music and have my collection in various formats (95% CDs), I have enjoyed my experience with Olive but think the technology has changed against thier value add proposition/quality. I also won't walk this backup plank again if I have future issues, although MS is no saint, but a wav file is a wav file and 2+ TB HD drives are cheap (and so is USB 3 support). It sounded good, but I am going with a Dell, yes it has a Microsoft 7 operating system, but Media Monkey (Gold @ $20.00) does a lot more than my O4 Olive Operating system did at this point. Most of my management of the O4 required a laptop anyway. Right now looking at the Creative Sound XFi sound card to use digital out. I think I will just record my music collection in WAV as opposed to FLAC. I will eventually look at buying a few Sonos Zone Player 90s to provide the streaming Audio around the house. Just wondering what other people are up too. Cheers.

The Olive Musica still works, but just has a 250GB drive and less functionality. I am using until the new system is built.
post #1641 of 3904 Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi JBartels

Quote:

I think I will just record my music collection in WAV as opposed to FLAC

I wouldn't do that, WAV has no standardized way of attaching metadata to it, as oppposed to FLAC, MP3 etc. So you would end up with an incompatible proprietary format and fall in the same trap as with the backup of the Olives.
BTW If you can plug in the drive to your pc, I would take that road to back it up and restore.

Good luck.
Marc
post #1642 of 3904 Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHG3 View Post

How to back up your music in its native format from Olive

Apologies if this has been posted before. I haven't gone back and read the 20 pages since I last tried to solve this problem. It is possible that this issue has long been resolved, but I know it was a big deal to me, so I thought I'd post it here:

Like many of you, I have long been concerned that once my music was on my Olive (any version) it was lost to me if anything happened to the device/company etc...

There was a posting some time ago that showed how to access the files, but they tended to come through as unrecognizable folders. I don't know about you, but I have about 675 albums on my Olive!

Fortunately I have finally found a solution. It's here:

Step 1. Pick up and plug in an empty portable hard drive.
Step 2. I downloaded and installed a program called XBMC (which I think stands for X-box Media Player). It's open source software aimed at the X-Box users to bring all their media data together under one UI.
Step 3. XBMC opens up to a pretty slick interface. Along the left hand side are options: Weather, Pictures, Music, Videos etc... Move the cursor over the System option.
Step 4. Under System, you will see a small faint arrow pointing to the right. This indicates a pull-out menu. Move your cursor right to see the pull-out menu and select File Manager.
Step 5. The screen should now look now like a big cog with two menus; one on the left, one on the right. Beginning with the left, select Add Source. By selecting Browse, you should be able to see your Olive named in the file structure. Select it. Do the same on the right side, but this time browse to your external hard drive (or to where ever you are storing the data).
Step 6. Double click on your Olive Name. You should see a list beginning with two dots, followed by Album, Artist etc... One click selects the option, two clicks digs into it.
Step 7. At this stage you can right click on an option, and you will have the ability to copy. If you choose copy at this time, it moves the file from the left side (your Olive) to the right (your hard drive). Alternatively, you can double click on Album or Artist, and you will dig further in to your Olive. At that point you can select several, or all of the albums/artists/playlists, right click, and copy to the drive.

That's it! I moved all my material onto a backup drive that does not require Olive to read it (I can read it in any computer).

Cautionary notes:

The new file will be based on whatever option you chose. So choose wisely. I copied by individual albums, and while all the metadata is preserved (artist etc...), the file folders are all the album titles. I have been surprised to find out how many album names I was unable to identify until I opened the folder!

Artwork seems to be slightly less reliable, but it still comes through. I don't really know what the deal is here...

Bad tracks will stop the transfer cold. I had a handful across 675 albums, so I spent a few days selecting albums again and trying to copy smaller sized chunks. Unfortunately there is no shift-click to select a bunch of albums at once, so the process is a bit tedious. I typically just started the process and walked away (or went to bed). When it crashed, I simply looked to see how far it went, checked the individual album that was problematic, loaded it up separately, and then started a new batch of albums. It was not necessary to reload any albums already copied over.

That's it! Good luck.

Rhg

Well, I don't get the copy option. SO I can't copy them, I can add the two sources, but can copy anything.
post #1643 of 3904 Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablovi View Post

... but can copy anything.

Nice! Congrats!

Marc
post #1644 of 3904 Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Nice! Congrats!

Marc

Upps, That was supossed to be CAN'T...

But, nevermind...

It worked! I don't know why, but after a restart of XBMC and checking the allow to rename and delete options... It works!

I CAN now copy all my albums!
post #1645 of 3904 Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablovi View Post

Upps, That was supossed to be CAN'T...

But, nevermind...

It worked! I don't know why, but after a restart of XBMC and checking the allow to rename and delete options... It works!

I CAN now copy all my albums!

Nice! Congrats!

Marc
post #1646 of 3904 Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am having a problem using XBMC to move music files from my Olive4HD to wherever. All of my music is classical, about 1200 albums. The problem occurs when moving, say, a four movement symphony, the movements of which on the Olive are titled Andante, Minuetto, Scherzo, Allegro. The XBMC program has no problem in copying them, whether it is to a NAS, an external HDD or to my computer's internal HDD. However, in each case they come out resorted into alphabetical order - Allegro, Andante, Minuetto, Scherzo. The Olive track numbers do not come across. If the movements themselves are numbered (in addition to the Olive track number) then things are OK and they copy in the correct order.

When using my computer to view the music files on the Olive through the XBMC program then they are in the correct order.

I am hoping that someone else may know of a method of instructing the XBMC program to refrain from sorting the files.
post #1647 of 3904 Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no solution, but I am glad that you mentioned this problem. To me it makes clear that I don't need to go the XBMC way.
I really think there will be no solution for this problem. The Olive makes it possible to divide and combine albums to compositions (works), and I know of no other media programs that do this. (I don't know them all, so I hope I'm wrong)

With my way of obtaining the files, I can also have a look at the SQLite database that does all these wonders, and hopefully do something useful with that for that other streamer I hope I never need.

The REAL solution would be a STANDARD metadata definition for classical music, AND an Olive that adheres to it.

Marc
post #1648 of 3904 Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 AM

Hi folks,

Eight months ago Olive told me they would empower their UK distributors to offer a de-encryption service to resolve the problem of proprietary encoding locking up customers' music collections. Simply post an external hard drive with your backed up files on it, they said, and we will send it back de-encrypted, complete with tags and artwork!

I am no longer an Olive owner, but I faithfully backed up my files onto an external drive ready for de-encryption. Last week I contacted Henley Designs (Olive's UK distrubutor) and got this response:

"unfortunately what you are speaking of is not a service we currently offer. The technology is still being developed by Olive to make decrypting over USB convenient and quick with their servers, and in addition we are also still in the process of clarifying the law on copyrighting within our market."

Needless to say, I am pretty disgusted by this. Olive's promises to their customers are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Eight months on from making this pledge they appear not to have made any progress on this issue at all.

Henley did however add:

"To help you and your situation though, it is our understanding that a third party server software called XBMC is able to extract music from the Olive. As I say, this software is third party and therefore not supported by us or Olive, but hopefully it will open up an avenue for you transfer your music yourself."

Having read the v helpful threads on this forum about using XBMC, I tried it but XBMC does not seem to 'see' my Olive back up files and treats the folder as if it is empty. I wonder if this is because I am trying to transfer from a hard drive back up and not directly from the machine itself? Can anyone shed any light on this? Better still, could someone who has successfully decrypted files using XBMC direct from their machine, try doing so from their external backup drive and let me know if they encounter the same problem?

Many thanks
Steve
post #1649 of 3904 Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

XBMC can see an upnp mediaserver like the Olive, but it has no understanding of encrypted zipfiles that you try to feed it.
Seems logical to me.

So, you need an Olive to do this.

Marc
post #1650 of 3904 Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM

An update; so I did get a Dell XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor w/ Windows 7 with an internal 2 tb HD and an external 2tb HD for back up. I am using a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card. I spent $20.00 for Media Monkey gold, just upgraded to version 4. I have ripped my complete CD collection in FLAC (mumsoft - thanks for the advice) and copied over my MP3s. Ripping was a drag, the biggest difference was that Media Monkey recognized more of my CDs then when I ripped them to the Olive (although in Olive's defense that was 4 years ago) but the artwork look up was worse. I spent more time correcting artwork. Media Monkey is more robust in accessing music and from the Dell much quicker to use than directly using the Olive 4. I did get the Dell with a 21 HD touch screen, although while ripping I was using the keyboard and mouse. I have rebuilt all of my playlists which at up until my Olive 4 died.
A few notes about sound quality; the Olive always sound great. I could not do a direct comparison to the Olive but I did to a few CDs via my Denon 3910 and after spending some time I could not tell differences between the two sources which would prevent me from using the Dell to replace the Olive. The DAC indicates that the sound card is sending a 96kHz signal, which my Olive never did, not sure it matters. My point is sound is not an issue.
The last problem I am attempting to solve is to be able to stream music to the Olive 02. Windows supports DLNA streaming and works great moving music to other computers in the house, but since I have two working 02s that support Twonky, I downloaded a trial version of Twonky media server. The set up was pretty easy and so far so good, the 02 was able to even recognize my playlists on the Dell and shuffle through them. I am still very much in the learning stages of this. Assuming this works long term, I will spend the $20.00 to get the full version of Twonky media server, if not a soonos 90 player may be in my future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page