"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #151 of 3883 Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm busy importing my cd's. After ripping, I edit the just-made Album. Usually, this is no problem, but sometimes, the album name and the artist don't get updated. Whatever I try, how many times I try, reset or refresh it.
The reason...
Sometimes the ripping has placed the album somewhere, I say somewhere in some genre, together with some other new cd's. When I select the tracks there, it is finally possible to edit the album name and artist.
(I always put the composers name in the artist field, and put this name also in front of the album name, just to distinguish them.)

To edit the Work, one can do that for one track only, and you have to move the other tracks to this new work. You can't select them all, and change the work.

Also, i need to refresh Maestro just to be able to edit the artist after having edited something else.

Is sooooo easy...

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3883 Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I have the right channel which is much louder than the left one (level is higher, which means I have to move the stereo balance on the left to have it centered), this does not occur when I listen to radio so I guess the problem comes from the Opus... Did anyone experience the same thing?

Thanks for you help!

PS: I just upgraded the software, but I do not know for sure if I did not have this problem before the upgrade....

Fred.
post #153 of 3883 Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred3000gt View Post

Hello all,

I have the right channel which is much louder than the left one (level is higher, which means I have to move the stereo balance on the left to have it centered), this does not occur when I listen to radio so I guess the problem comes from the Opus... Did anyone experience the same thing?

Thanks for you help!

PS: I just upgraded the software, but I do not know for sure if I did not have this problem before the upgrade....

Fred.

I don't have this problem, whatever software version.
If you say radio, do you mean your tuner, or Internet radio from the Opus?
If it's the latter, i suppose your Opus is at fault.
If not, try switching the interlink (right/left channels) to see if the problem moves to the other channel, also, if you have an external DAC or digital input on a cd-player, you can try the digital output, to pinpoint the source of the culprit.

Good luck,
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 3883 Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,

I made a backup for the first time. It occurs to me that there is no indication about the status of this backup (I believe someone else mentioned that previously). The manual tells me that a red dot will tell me that the backup is busy, but I noticed only a sand... eh, gosh, my English... an hourglass.
This hourglass disappeared when i choose another menu item.
Even with no hourglass, I could not start another backup, because a backup was still busy, as some error message told me.
Now, some hours later, how on earth do i know if it is ready with this backup? I don't want to try 'backup' again. I don't dare to remove the usb drive. The manual says there will be a popup after a successful backup. What if I missed that?

I don't hope the olive people expect you to sit down and stare at the screen for several hours, just to catch the popup?

Someone with a solution or a hint?

Marc
post #155 of 3883 Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hi,

I made a backup for the first time. It occurs to me that there is no indication about the status of this backup (I believe someone else mentioned that previously). The manual tells me that a red dot will tell me that the backup is busy, but I noticed only a sand... eh, gosh, my English... an hourglass.
This hourglass disappeared when i choose another menu item.
Even with no hourglass, I could not start another backup, because a backup was still busy, as some error message told me.
Now, some hours later, how on earth do i know if it is ready with this backup? I don't want to try 'backup' again. I don't dare to remove the usb drive. The manual says there will be a popup after a successful backup. What if I missed that?

I don't hope the olive people expect you to sit down and stare at the screen for several hours, just to catch the popup?

Someone with a solution or a hint?

Marc

I had nothing but problems with that (which is another reason why I suggest ripping elsewhere), but havn't tried with any of the new updates. It took me several start overs, power downs and unplugging to get it to work and it does take several hours to complete. Give it a couple more hours and try it again. Good luck!
post #156 of 3883 Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I finaly dared to unplug the disk, and i saw several AudioLibraryBackup.tarxx files, with xx ranging from aa to ar, and one .xml

The date & time seemed US-based, or at least not correct, ranging from 7:31 to 9:05, while my time in Holland was 13:?? to 17.?? I think it is complete.

The first of these files, AudioLibraryBackup.taraa, seemed to be a tar-archive, which my system actually could read. I could see all well-known FLAC files and jpg files. Only unpacking did not succeed.
All the other files did not do anything useful.

If only I knew which backup/restore program this Opus uses, it would be of much help.

Marc
post #157 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:

I don't have this problem, whatever software version.
If you say radio, do you mean your tuner, or Internet radio from the Opus?
If it's the latter, i suppose your Opus is at fault.
If not, try switching the interlink (right/left channels) to see if the problem moves to the other channel, also, if you have an external DAC or digital input on a cd-player, you can try the digital output, to pinpoint the source of the culprit.

Good luck,
Marc

Mumsoft, sorry for being unclear, I meant an external DAB radio does not raise this issue (but the Opus internet radio gives the same problem). Following your advise, I switched also the left and right cable at the analog output of the Opus and got this time the left channel louder. All this leads me indeed to think that the problem comes from the Opus.

I am curious to know if I am the only one with this problem, to know if it is correlated to the new software version...

As for the backup problem you report, I experienced the same thing as you (with the previous software version). The only thing I found was to check that files were actually written on the hard disk, never saw this progress bar. I asked to Olive and they said it was to be adressed in the new software version...

Fred.
post #158 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fred,

Your Opus is the culprit. I would complain at the shop you bought it from.
I know the Opus has a provision for the volume, but not for the balance.

I will complain (well, no, tell my experience) about the backup to Olive, and tell them I found another 64 limit in the number of works (compositions) per Composer, in Maestro.
We are dealing with an Opus 64, not an Opus 4 or 6.

Marc
post #159 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:

Fred,

Your Opus is the culprit. I would complain at the shop you bought it from.
I know the Opus has a provision for the volume, but not for the balance.

I will complain (well, no, tell my experience) about the backup to Olive, and tell them I found another 64 limit in the number of works (compositions) per Composer, in Maestro.
We are dealing with an Opus 64, not an Opus 4 or 6.

Marc

Right, I think I will ask them. In the mean time, I'll get a DacMagic and play through it since I guess the problem should not occur on the digital outputs.

On another topic, for the backup and following your remark, I also just tried to uncompress the first .taraa file and it seems that I was able to re-generate from the backup all the tracks in flac format! (I used 7-Zip) I got about 2000 tracks, which (more or less) matches with the number of tracks listed on my Opus. I then was able to play one this recovered tracks using a flac player (foobar2000). Actually, it seems that the .taraa links automatically the other .tar** files so that 7Zip was able uncompress everything (indeed the .taraa is 2Gb while the uncompressed files I obtain represent about 100 Gb...)

From the earlier posts I thought this was not possible because of DRM questions, this is very very good news for me... maybe I just re-discovered what everybody already knew.

Fred.
post #160 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Right, I think I will ask them. In the mean time, I'll get a DacMagic and play through it since I guess the problem should not occur on the digital outputs.

Yes, I think so too. You might try mine

Quote:
On another topic, for the backup and following your remark, I also just tried to uncompress the first .taraa file and it seems that I was able to re-generate from the backup all the tracks in flac format! (I used 7-Zip) I got about 2000 tracks, which (more or less) matches with the number of tracks listed on my Opus. I then was able to play one this recovered tracks using a flac player (foobar2000). Actually, it seems that the .taraa links automatically the other .tar** files so that 7Zip was able uncompress everything (indeed the .taraa is 2Gb while the uncompressed files I obtain represent about 100 Gb...)

From the earlier posts I thought this was not possible because of DRM questions, this is very very good news for me... maybe I just re-discovered what everybody already knew.

Fred.

This is verrrrry good, and verrrry nice to know! I guess nobody knew this, I have read about an unreadable backup only.
I just downloaded the Linux version of 7zip and I will try with that.
I guess the taraa contains the index, while the other files keep the contents. In FAT the file limit it 2GB.

What you found out is just... GREAT.

Thanks!
Marc
post #161 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great Find. Very Cool!

Quote:

Fred.

post #162 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Yep, please confirm my experience just to check if there is not a catch somewhere, I am still surprised it was so simple Just know that it takes a bunch of time for to extract thems...
post #163 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
gfd

Quote:

Mumsoft, sorry for being unclear, I meant an external DAB radio does not raise this issue (but the Opus internet radio gives the same problem). Following your advise, I switched also the left and right cable at the analog output of the Opus and got this time the left channel louder. All this leads me indeed to think that the problem comes from the Opus.

I am curious to know if I am the only one with this problem, to know if it is correlated to the new software version...

I'm seeing the same problem with my Opus 4, Fred. The right channel seems to be OK and the left channel seems to be almost muted (very low). I didn't notice the problem before the latest update but I cannot be 100% certain that it wasn't there before. I'm usually sensitive to these things so I probably would have noticed it if it was there before the update.

I don't have an external DAC and hopefully I don't have to buy one to get around this problem. Since it is the same channel that is problematic for both of us, my guess (and hope) is that it is an Opus software problem rather than an Opus hardware issue.

Gerry
post #164 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

I'm seeing the same problem with my Opus 4, Fred. The right channel seems to be OK and the left channel seems to be almost muted (very low). I didn't notice the problem before the latest update but I cannot be 100% certain that it wasn't there before. I'm usually sensitive to these things so I probably would have noticed it if it was there before the update.

I don't have an external DAC and hopefully I don't have to buy one to get around this problem. Since it is the same channel that is problematic for both of us, my guess (and hope) is that it is an Opus software problem rather than an Opus hardware issue.

Gerry

Hmmm... sorry to say that but I feel that's good news (for me) that you also got the same problem Indeed, it means it's not an hardware issue, so it can be fixed by a "simple" software fix, once we both (or others?) ask for it!
Like you, I was not 100% sure that the problem did not exist before my software update...
post #165 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hmmm... sorry to say that but I feel that's good news (for me) that you also got the same problem Indeed, it means it's not an hardware issue, so it can be fixed by a "simple" software fix, once we both (or others?) ask for it!
Like you, I was not 100% sure that the problem did not exist before my software update...

Are you guys using analogs?
post #166 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Are you guys using analogs?

It seems like both of us, yes, use analog...

Fred.
post #167 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blush... I did not test the balance at the analog output. But now I did...

Sorry to say that I don't have this problem though. The analog output is a bit softer than the digital with my DacMagic, but I notice no difference in balance.

For testing reasons I have 3 connections with my amplifier: analog, digital coax and digital Toslink. Also, when I change the analog volume with the remote control, there is no change in balance, as far as I can 'see'.

I bought my Opus last Christmas. Maybe this has something to do with the build? Than it would be a hardware issue after all.

Marc
post #168 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yep, please confirm my experience just to check if there is not a catch somewhere, I am still surprised it was so simple Just know that it takes a bunch of time for to extract thems...

Simple? So, you just opened the first file, and it opened with 7zip, that you just happened to have?

Much kudos from me!
I just tested it, and it extracted fine... well, I wasn't prepared for 30 GB extra data on my machine, so I killed it in the process, but I'm convinced you found the right solution! (I could listen to the extracted flac-files and look at the thumbnails)
Thanks a lot again!

I will happily go-on ripping my cd's with the Opus.

Marc
post #169 of 3883 Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now we have are music back...
Still nice to know how to get our cd's back.
Otherwise we end up in a music-mess

Marc
post #170 of 3883 Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Ok, Marc, I found a fix for the balance issue I just changed the volume with the remote control, and then all of sudden, I got the balance centered by the way putting the volume at maximum enables to have a volume similar to my other sources which is handy
post #171 of 3883 Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did a backup and first tried WinRAR. It would only extract the contents of the first file. 7Zip extracted them all. Problem is, the folder structure is flat (all of the FLAC files are in the same folder, regardless of album, artist, etc). While this is great news for someone who wants to extract a few tracks when a backup fails, I wouldn't want to manually recreate the entire folder and file structure from this backup.

Quote:

Now we have are music back...
Still nice to know how to get our cd's back.
Otherwise we end up in a music-mess

Marc

post #172 of 3883 Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good to hear (no pun intended). Thanks

Quote:

Ok, Marc, I found a fix for the balance issue I just changed the volume with the remote control, and then all of sudden, I got the balance centered by the way putting the volume at maximum enables to have a volume similar to my other sources which is handy

post #173 of 3883 Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
gfd

Quote:

That worked for me too, Fred. Nice job! I don't use the Opus remote very often but I must have at some point. I'll stay away from its volume control buttons from now on.
post #174 of 3883 Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

I did a backup and first tried WinRAR. It would only extract the contents of the first file. 7Zip extracted them all. Problem is, the folder structure is flat (all of the FLAC files are in the same folder, regardless of album, artist, etc). While this is great news for someone who wants to extract a few tracks when a backup fails, I wouldn't want to manually recreate the entire folder and file structure from this backup.

Have you tried the trick that Olive suggested for avoiding getting a flat backup structure with the older Opus models? The trick was simply to create on the empty backup drive a blank folder with any name BEFORE attempting a backup. That resulted in a properly structured backup.

MG
post #175 of 3883 Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Zbrett, here is a screenshot of what I got, do you get something different?

Fred.
LL
post #176 of 3883 Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The majority on mine is different since I imported most of my music. All of the data in imported data folder is in one folder, as opposed to an individual folder for each CD ripped directly on the Opus.

Quote:

Zbrett, here is a screenshot of what I got, do you get something different?

Fred.

post #177 of 3883 Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Ok thanks, I get it now

Fred.
post #178 of 3883 Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

That worked for me too, Fred. Nice job! I don't use the Opus remote very often but I must have at some point. I'll stay away from its volume control buttons from now on.

Also, be careful of other remotes you are using near the Opus. I had to cover the remote sensor of my Olive because the remote for my Naim Preamp would change various things on the Olive when I tried to use it on the preamp. It was very weird until I figured out what was going on. :-0

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #179 of 3883 Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not sure what kind of remote you are using, but I had a similar problem with my Logitech Harmony 550 remote. Learning all the commands in custom/raw mode took care of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

Also, be careful of other remotes you are using near the Opus. I had to cover the remote sensor of my Olive because the remote for my Naim Preamp would change various things on the Olive when I tried to use it on the preamp. It was very weird until I figured out what was going on. :-0

post #180 of 3883 Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM

zbrett (or anyone else using an external dac),

Have you tried any other music downloads with different sampling rates? I noticed in an earlier post, you mentioned that you successfully sent both 96kHz/24bit and 44.1kHz/24-bit FLAC files to your DacMagic (mentioned here). May I ask that you try some of the following?

http://www.gimell.com/musicstore-dow...est-files.aspx

I am particularly interested in the 88.2 and 48 sampling rate items. The DacMagic supports all these rates.

I was set to purchase a Slim Devices Transporter as it supports all these rates. If the Melody / Opus can handle these then the cost will be less than the Transporter with what seems to be an easier to use and prettier interface.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page