AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-cd-players-dedicated-music-transports/)
-   -   "Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-cd-players-dedicated-music-transports/1091695-official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd.html)

zbrett 12-03-2008 12:06 PM

This thread is for the discussion, questions and sharing of information regarding the new Olive products produced since mid-2007 to present (Opus 4. Olive 4, Olive 4 HD, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, etc).

If you are looking for information or to discuss the original Olive models based on the Hifidelio units (Symphony, Musica, Opus 3, Opus 5), please visit this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405 There is some previous discussion of the newer models in this older thread as well.

Here is (one) of my current systems:
Olive 4 HD (connected to network via the Ethernet port)
Cambridge Audio 840AV2 Amplifier,
Cambridge Audio 340T Tuner
Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC attached to Olive 4 HD and DMP-BD35
B&W 683 Loudspeakers
HSU VFT2-MK3 Subwoofer
Panasonic DMP-BD35
Toshiba 26AV500U
Logitech Harmony 550 remote

I also have a Melody 2 which is attached to a small system in the garage. The Melody 2 is also hardwired.

I acquired an Opus 4 in August 2007, and the Melody 2 shortly thereafter. I upgraded to the Olive 4 HD in 2/2010.

So let the discussion begin (or continue).

shamus 12-03-2008 12:44 PM

Good idea Z!
You might want to put the model numers in the title to make it easy for non avs members in a google search find this.

Anyways, finally got around to the new firmware today... Is it just me or is it now a lot quicker and responsive? Even the touch screen seems better. Love the new Play screen too!

Is there a setting for gapless or is it automatic?

zbrett 12-03-2008 12:51 PM

Done...

The unit is much more responsive with the new firmware. You'll also find that putting playlists together isn't nearly as painful since it move along much quicker now.

Gapless is automatic. For instance, if you play an gapless album like Dark Side of the Moon, the unit goes seamlessly from one track to the next. If there are gaps between the songs, the Opus keeps the gaps in place.

There may be another small update in the next week or so to fix the album artwork update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Good idea Z!
You might want to put the model numers in the title to make it easy for non avs members in a google search find this.

Anyways, finally got around to the new firmware today... Is it just me or is it now a lot quicker and responsive? Even the touch screen seems better. Love the new Play screen too!

Is there a setting for gapless or is it automatic?

shamus 12-04-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Done...

The unit is much more responsive with the new firmware. You'll also find that putting playlists together isn't nearly as painful since it move along much quicker now.

Gapless is automatic. For instance, if you play an gapless album like Dark Side of the Moon, the unit goes seamlessly from one track to the next. If there are gaps between the songs, the Opus keeps the gaps in place.

There may be another small update in the next week or so to fix the album artwork update.

Im verrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy happy with this update...

zbrett 12-05-2008 06:23 AM

There is a minor update available for the Opus 4 and Melody 2. I believe it fixes the album art updating issue. The version number remains at 3.2.2.

shamus 12-05-2008 09:37 AM

Thanks!

Whats left on the to-do list????

zbrett 12-06-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Whats left on the to-do list????

Well, this is vastly improved over what we started with, but here are a few I can think of, both on the to-do and on the wish list:

1. Denon bug

2. Volume leveling

3. Getting the "Rondo" interface beyond beta

4. Improving the navigation on the touch screen so the lists "loop" rather than making you go straight from top to bottom

5. Improving the navigation in Maestro and the touchscreen so anytime you go back, it takes you back to where you were, rather than back to the beginning.

6. Random/Shuffle play by Genre

7. A search feature

8. The ability to export a list of tracks (you library) on the Opus in a .csv format.

9. Ability to edit artwork in other screens besides the artwork category

10. Ability to rename/delete top genre folders (i.e. spoken word)

11. Ability to pick drag and drop multiple albums/artists in Maestro while building a playlist

12. The ability to reboot the unit remotely through Maestro or Rondo

13. Rondo interface for Melody

14. Backup time indicator / incremental backup / automated backups

15. NTFS support on the backup drive

16. A random play feature when streaming music from the Opus to another device

Any more?

zbrett 12-06-2008 06:19 AM

I also finally got my Cambridge Audio Dacmagic today (i've been waiting two months).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

It handles the 96-khz/24-bit HD tracks I downloaded without any issues, and upsamples everything thrown at it to 192-khz. While the DAC in the Opus sounds very good, the Dacmagic really opened up the image, smoothed out the sound, and tightened up the bottom end. It is quite a value at only $400, seeing how my relatively unsophisticated ears detect a big overall improvement, almost as if I got a new set of speakers. It is a nice compliment to the Opus 4 if you are inclined to spend the money.

BTW... It has the same effect on my Cambridge Audio 540D DVD/CD player. All I can say is WOW.

shamus 12-06-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Well, this is vastly improved over what we started with, but here are a few I can think of, both on the to-do and on the wish list:

1. Denon bug

2. Volume leveling

4. Improving the navigation on the touch screen so the lists "loop" rather than making you go straight from top to bottom

5. Improving the navigation in Maestro and the touchscreen so anytime you go back, it takes you back to where you were, rather than back to the beginning.

7. A search feature

8. The ability to export a list of tracks (you library) on the Opus in a .csv format.

11. Ability to pick drag and drop multiple albums/artists in Maestro while building a playlist

Any more?

That sounds pretty good for now!

dogface1 12-06-2008 09:47 AM

Regarding NTSF.
The reason the Olives use FAT32 for externals is because it is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It's the only simple solution to have it both ways. Most Mac users would be required to add programs and make changes to their system to conform NTSF, this can be a real hassle for most.

zbrett 12-06-2008 10:15 AM

Understood, but the additional compatibility for the NTFS file system is on the list. They were trying to get it done before the release, but it was pushed back. I suspect because getting Linux to read the NTFS file system isn't an easy task (at least from my personal experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface1 View Post

Regarding NTSF.
The reason the Olives use FAT32 for externals is because it is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It's the only simple solution to have it both ways. Most Mac users would be required to add programs and make changes to their system to conform NTSF, this can be a real hassle for most.

shamus 12-09-2008 11:45 AM

I added some songs to my playlist.... very nice.

Can you pass along the same bug Ive posted before? Its when your searching on the display. Say your scrolling the artist on the right side. When youve scrolled through several pages and then make a selection, it will start the list all over again on the left hand side and you have to start again.

zbrett 12-09-2008 11:48 AM

That is #5 on my list.

Quote:

I added some songs to my playlist.... very nice.

Can you pass along the same bug Ive posted before? Its when your searching on the display. Say your scrolling the artist on the right side. When youve scrolled through several pages and then make a selection, it will start the list all over again on the left hand side and you have to start again.

shamus 12-09-2008 12:31 PM

doh!

gfd 12-10-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

1. Denon bug

2. Volume leveling

7. A search feature

Any more?

This is a good list.

An additional problem that is frustrating me occurs when using Maestro to fix metadata within albums and songs. I know everyone recommends using a different tool for this on your PC and then import it onto the Opus, but sometimes you just want to fix a few minor details.

For example, I had two different albums from two separate artists that were both called Greatest Hits. When looking at the albums via the Artists interface in Maestro they looked like two separate albums (as they should). When looking at them in the Albums interface they were grouped together under the same album. I tried changing the name of the album to separate them manually, e.g., rename one of the albums "Greatest Hits - The Doors". Unfortunately, if you changed it for one it changed it for both. Eventually, I had to delete one of the albums and will need to fix the problem before importing.

Problems like this with Maestro are rampant. It's also very slow.

Overall, the unit is getting better with each update, which is encouraging, but it's still not there yet.

zbrett 12-10-2008 12:52 PM

Have you tried the latest update? It really speeds things up and I think it should have taken care of the Greatest Hits issue.

http://www.olive.us/contact/softwarehistory_O4_M2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

This is a good list.

An additional problem that is frustrating me occurs when using Maestro to fix metadata within albums and songs. I know everyone recommends using a different tool for this on your PC and then import it onto the Opus, but sometimes you just want to fix a few minor details.

For example, I had two different albums from two separate artists that were both called Greatest Hits. When looking at the albums via the Artists interface in Maestro they looked like two separate albums (as they should). When looking at them in the Albums interface they were grouped together under the same album. I tried changing the name of the album to separate them manually, e.g., rename one of the albums "Greatest Hits - The Doors". Unfortunately, if you changed it for one it changed it for both. Eventually, I had to delete one of the albums and will need to fix the problem before importing.

Problems like this with Maestro are rampant. It's also very slow.

Overall, the unit is getting better with each update, which is encouraging, but it's still not there yet.

gfd 12-11-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Have you tried the latest update? It really speeds things up and I think it should have taken care of the Greatest Hits issue.

http://www.olive.us/contact/softwarehistory_O4_M2.html

Yes, I do have the latest update. The release notes suggest that the fix will solve the problem at source, i.e., when importing (and maybe ripping), but I wasn't able to fix albums that had already been imported or ripped even with the update. I can always delete them and re-import them. I'll let you know if they are imported properly.

Thanks!

shamus 12-11-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do have the latest update. The release notes suggest that the fix will solve the problem at source, i.e., when importing (and maybe ripping), but I wasn't able to fix albums that had already been imported or ripped even with the update. I can always delete them and re-import them. I'll let you know if they are imported properly.

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, if you goto artist section than the greatest hits album and change the name there, it should switch it correctly. Dont try to change it in the album section. (i could be wrong though).

Audi0phile 12-11-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

I also finally got my Cambridge Audio Dacmagic today (i've been waiting two months).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

It handles the 96-khz/24-bit HD tracks I downloaded without any issues, and upsamples everything thrown at it to 192-khz. While the DAC in the Opus sounds very good, the Dacmagic really opened up the image, smoothed out the sound, and tightened up the bottom end. It is quite a value at only $400, seeing how my relatively unsophisticated ears detect a big overall improvement, almost as if I got a new set of speakers. It is a nice compliment to the Opus 4 if you are inclined to spend the money.

BTW... It has the same effect on my Cambridge Audio 540D DVD/CD player. All I can say is WOW.

It's nice to hear you're enjoying your DACMagic. Have you compared its performance with other DAC?

fxbill 12-12-2008 01:22 AM

I have at least for the time being worked out my problem with the low volume playback issue on the Opus 4. I recently puchased an Audio Research Ls-25 Mk2 that I use with with my AR D-115 power amp or my McShane Harmon Kardon Citation2. The Ls-25 has a memory built in with three separate input volume settings that you can adjust for whatever your inputs are and it will store what you set them at. I set my CD and Polk Sirius Tuner at medium inputs and my aux ( for the Olive) at low input. It balances them out almost perfectly and whenever I switch from one to the other it remembers what I have them set at so the operation is almost seamless. It's certainly not what I would have wanted and do expect Olive to correct the volume issue..even with some comonent changes, but at least for the time being it's working for me. I still have some problems with the wireless connection. I have 2 DNS server numbers for it...one digit apart. I can go through all the steps to set it up...( and I'm always picking the wrong one the first time) and finally get it working, but the next time I go to use it, it won't work and I discover that now it wants the other DNS server number.
Is there a way around this? I'm tired of going through all the button pushing to set it up only to find out I have it wrong and when I get it right it only lasts for a day....then wants the other. I'm now just running a cable out to it everytime I need to access the internet or communicate with my computer. What a pain. Aside from that and an occasional skip in the music...( might have been my uploading) I really like the unit and am happy with the Dac it has in it. It sounds just fine through my system. I don't think I'll be getting a separate Dac for it.

zbrett 12-13-2008 02:36 PM

This is my first external DAC so I don't have others to compare it to besides the internal DACs on the Opus 4 and 540D. While I'm not a super critical listener, to my ears, the Dacmagic provides a definite improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi0phile View Post

It's nice to hear you're enjoying your DACMagic. Have you compared its performance with other DAC?

zbrett 12-13-2008 02:42 PM

The Dacmagic fixed my volume level issues too.

Your DNS problem is strange. If your ISP has given you two DNS server addresses, they should both work all of the time. Have you tried using a different DNS server all together? You could try Verizon's DNS servers, which are pretty reliable. They start at 4.2.2.1 and go up to 4.2.2.6.

Or, you could sign up for Open DNS. I use it and have never had a problem with it. htp://www.opendns.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbill View Post

I have at least for the time being worked out my problem with the low volume playback issue on the Opus 4. I recently puchased an Audio Research Ls-25 Mk2 that I use with with my AR D-11 memory built in with three separate input volume settings that you can adjust for whatever your inputs are and it will store what you set them at. I set my CD and Polk Sirius Tuner at medium inputs and my aux ( for the Olive) at low input. It balances them out almost perfectly and whenever I switch from one to the other it remembers what I have them set at so the operation is almost seamless. It's certainly not what I would have wanted and do expect Olive to correct the volume issue..even with some comonent changes, but at least for the time being it's working for me. I still have some problems with the wireless connection. I have 2 DNS server numbers for it...one digit apart. I can go through all the steps to set it up...( and I'm always picking the wrong one the first time) and finally get it working, but the next time I go to use it, it won't work and I discover that now it wants the other DNS server number.
Is there a way around this? I'm tired of going through all the button pushing to set it up only to find out I have it wrong and when I get it right it only lasts for a day....then wants the other. I'm now just running a cable out to it everytime I need to access the internet or communicate with my computer. What a pain. Aside from that and an occasional skip in the music...( might have been my uploading) I really like the unit and am happy with the Dac it has in it. It sounds just fine through my system. I don't think I'll be getting a separate Dac for it.

zbrett 12-17-2008 07:51 AM

Just an FYI that Olive has made the latest recovery image available online for download.

http://www.olive.us/downloads/RecoveryCD.zip

David Meek 12-18-2008 07:34 AM

Thanks for the new (separated) thread guys. So far, I'm deleriously happy with my Opus4, and to date I've ripped 513 of my CD's so far. The audio portion of my system is:

Opus4
Musical Fidelity A3.2CR DAC
Yamaha RX-V1
Aerial Acoustics 7B speakers

The Opus is networked wirelessly and running OS 3.2.1. I'll be loading the 3.2.2 image tonight.

Off to work. Everyone stay warm and dry....

David Meek 12-18-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Any more?

Zbrett, since you asked, I'd really like to expand on the Backup item. Could we get a completion message with status on the backups? I'd like to know just what is going on with my backup. Examples:

backup completed successfully
435,756 MBytes
7 hours, 36 minutes

and

backup failed

I mean it's a Linux box - this would be comparatively easy. I s'pose my previous life as a sys admin/dba is showing through.

zbrett 12-19-2008 12:56 PM

I agree. I know that something along those lines in on "the list," but I haven't heard an ETA.

How do you like the new upgrade?

There may be another upgrade yet in December, though Olive hasn't put anything official on the release notes page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

Zbrett, since you asked, I'd really like to expand on the Backup item. Could we get a completion message with status on the backups? I'd like to know just what is going on with my backup. Examples:

backup completed successfully
435,756 MBytes
7 hours, 36 minutes

and

backup failed

I mean it's a Linux box - this would be comparatively easy. I s'pose my previous life as a sys admin/dba is showing through.

David Meek 12-20-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

How do you like the new upgrade?

It's not installed yet as I'm having a bit of trouble creating the ISO image disc. I'm using Roxio Creator 2009 and it's telling me that the image file (approx 565 MB) is larger than what the target CD-R (700 MB) will handle. Hopefully Roxio's support desk is up to the task.

zbrett 12-20-2008 05:28 AM

Why not just let it upgrade via the Ethernet/wireless connection to the Internet?

Quote:

It's not installed yet as I'm having a bit of trouble creating the ISO image disc. I'm using Roxio Creator 2009 and it's telling me that the image file (approx 565 MB) is larger than what the target CD-R (700 MB) will handle. Hopefully Roxio's support desk is up to the task.

David Meek 12-20-2008 11:50 AM

I forgot it could do it directly. D'oh!

Thanks!!!!

shamus 12-20-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

I forgot it could do it directly. D'oh!

Thanks!!!!

Dave, Z posted a recovery disc (correct me if Im wrong Z). If you use that you'll wipe all your music off the Olive!

zbrett 12-20-2008 02:25 PM

Exactly. You don't want to use that CD image unless you want to wipe your Opus clean.

Quote:

Dave, Z posted a recovery disc (correct me if Im wrong Z). If you use that you'll wipe all your music off the Olive!

David Meek 12-20-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Exactly. You don't want to use that CD image unless you want to wipe your Opus clean.

That's what I get for doing things at 1:00 AM. I thought I was familiar with the owner's manual top to bottom.... Guess I'd better go back and see what else I missed.

Oh man, that would have been a truly lovely moment.

David Meek 12-20-2008 05:20 PM

As far as the upgrade goes, once Z got me straight on the process it went smoothly and quickly. I can definitely tell an increase in the speed with regard to Maestro. The CD ripping seems to go faster although that could just be coincidental based on the data encoded on the CDs.

Here's the info off the Olive website regarding the additions, fixes and unresolved issues in the 3.2.2 release:

-------------------------------------------------
Release Notes Opus Nº4 and Melody Nº2
Changes in software version O.3.2.2 and M.3.2.2, released November 26, 2008

New features:

Gapless playback (WAV, FLAC, CD playback)
Speed boost for larger libraries
Volume control and mute status shown on display
CD-in redesign of menu navigation including individual track selection
Menu and playback enhanced with CD number sorting for CD sets (requires user to maintain CD numbers in metadata)
"Greatest Hits" or other identical album titles are separated out in the navigation by album name – if they were the same during import. Such album titles will receive artist name suffix during import from a computer
Release date information is extracted during computer import
Play screen refresh, along with new playlist context menu screen
Spanish and Portuguese language support

Software bug fixes:

Various stability fixes, especially for Maestro
Reduced CD playback drive spin speed
Improved large playlist browse and playback speeds

Remaining known issues:

Melody volume control slow
CD reference database update is not yet enabled
Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes

David Meek 12-21-2008 07:57 PM

I've run across a couple of oddities since loading v3.2.2:

01) When playing music from the Opus and ripping at the same time, when the ripped disc is auto-ejected the sound mutes completely for 2-3 seconds.

02) When updating the artwork, I have to select the new image once and go through the upload process twice to get it to update.

Z, shamus, are either of you seeing these same things? FWIW, I wouldn't classify them as anything more than minor nuisances.

shamus 12-21-2008 08:55 PM

Sorry Dave... I learned long ago to do all my ripping on my PC and wouldnt see those problems.

I did run into a new issue though. While importing a CD with various artist, the the olive seperated every track into a different album using the artists name next to the album. I thought I must of not tagged it right in media monkey so I deleted it and tried again. Same issue. I even attempted to edit it on the olive with no luck! I than discovered the olive is trying to seperate the album as it feels its a "greatest hits" and is using that feature. A simple drag and drop of the albums into one solved the issue in case anyone else runs into it.

zbrett 12-22-2008 12:44 PM

1- I haven't tried to rip and play at the same time. I, like Shamus, rip to the PC using EAC, modify the tags in Media Monkey, and then import into the Olive.

2- I just imported several FLAC tracks that did not contain album artwork, and I didn't run into any problems when I updated the image artwork. Are you trying to update a file that already contains artwork, update a file that has no artwork?

Quote:

I've run across a couple of oddities since loading v3.2.2:

01) When playing music from the Opus and ripping at the same time, when the ripped disc is auto-ejected the sound mutes completely for 2-3 seconds.

02) When updating the artwork, I have to select the new image once and go through the upload process twice to get it to update.

Z, shamus, are either of you seeing these same things? FWIW, I wouldn't classify them as anything more than minor nuisances.

pathworks 12-22-2008 06:06 PM

I took a break from the Opus 4 for a while and today I was working from home and ripping some more CDs via EAC then MM (tag from web to get cover art) then file copy to the import folder. Amazed I remember the routine!

I just updated to the latest software tonight. Thanks for keeping up with the releases.

I want to ask you MM guys a quick question. I have a 16GB Ipod touch and have a collection of MP3 at 320 bitrate. Are you guys maintaining a library of FLAC and MP3 files on your computer and backup drives like me? I would like to know how you deal with the portable players and what format you rip to? Are you converting your FLAC rips to MP3 or another format?

- Gary

David Meek 12-22-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Are you trying to update a file that already contains artwork, update a file that has no artwork?

The original artwork supplied by Olive's DB just isn't up to par. It's not really something to complain about, it's more of a personal preference. I've been replacing their artwork with higher-quality images. Nothing major - around 300x300 pixels. You can easily see the difference even at the size displayed in MAESTRO.

shamus 12-22-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathworks View Post

I took a break from the Opus 4 for a while and today I was working from home and ripping some more CDs via EAC then MM (tag from web to get cover art) then file copy to the import folder. Amazed I remember the routine!

I just updated to the latest software tonight. Thanks for keeping up with the releases.

I want to ask you MM guys a quick question. I have a 16GB Ipod touch and have a collection of MP3 at 320 bitrate. Are you guys maintaining a library of FLAC and MP3 files on your computer and backup drives like me? I would like to know how you deal with the portable players and what format you rip to? Are you converting your FLAC rips to MP3 or another format?

- Gary

I havnt used my ipod in quite sometime but when I do, I will be buying an MP3 player compatible with flac. I will than just have all my music in one format. With the size of these things these days, theres really no reason to use mp3.

zbrett 12-23-2008 10:04 AM

I have an Apple iTouch and it is a bit of a hassle, but I keep all my FLAC files in Media Monkey, and all of my MP3 and M4x (AAC) files in iTunes. I convert my FLAC files to AAC using dbpoweramp (it has a really nice batch file converter). I convert to AAC because I think it has better fidelity at lower bit rates than MP3s. I'm able to fit about 2000 tracks into 10GB using AAC at 128 Kbps, which is fine for iPod listening and the car(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathworks View Post

- Gary

zbrett 12-23-2008 10:06 AM

Yeah, I agree on the quality issue. I'll have to try replacing some art via Maestro when I have a chance to see if I have the same problem.

Quote:

The original artwork supplied by Olive's DB just isn't up to par. It's not really something to complain about, it's more of a personal preference. I've been replacing their artwork with higher-quality images. Nothing major - around 300x300 pixels. You can easily see the difference even at the size displayed in MAESTRO.

egoss 12-23-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

I havnt used my ipod in quite sometime but when I do, I will be buying an MP3 player compatible with flac. I will than just have all my music in one format. With the size of these things these days, theres really no reason to use mp3.

When you reach a buying decision, please let me know. I could use some buying guidance. I have never owned an iPod or any portable music player because MP3s curdle my senses, but I would be interested in hearing a portable player that handles FLAC files.

Thanks,
Ed

zbrett 12-23-2008 04:03 PM

You should check out Rockbox - http://www.rockbox.org/

It is open source software that runs on a lot of portable devices (including iPods) and will handle FLAC.

Apple also has a lossless format called ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which runs on iPods, and I'm pretty sure the Opus will handle ALAC files too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

When you reach a buying decision, please let me know. I could use some buying guidance. I have never owned an iPod or any portable music player because MP3s curdle my senses, but I would be interested in hearing a portable player that handles FLAC files.

Thanks,
Ed

egoss 12-23-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Apple also has a lossless format called ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which runs on iPods, and I'm pretty sure the Opus will handle ALAC files too.

From the Opus 3 Manual: "Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be played (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC). The OPUS does not play music protected by Digital Rights Management."

From The 4 Manual: ""Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be imported (WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC). The OPUS does not play stored music protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM)."

So, no ALAC format support, I guess.

zbrett 12-23-2008 05:55 PM

It isn't documented, but the Opus 4 will play ALAC files. I know because I did it a while back by accident (encoded in ALAC instead of FLAC) and the tracks played just fine. Just to be sure, I just now ripped a couple of tracks to ALAC and imported them to the Opus 4. They played without any issues.

Quote:

From the Opus 3 Manual: "Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be played (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC). The OPUS does not play music protected by Digital Rights Management."

From The 4 Manual: ""Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be imported (WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC). The OPUS does not play stored music protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM)."

So, no ALAC format support, I guess.

egoss 12-24-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

It isn't documented, but the Opus 4 will play ALAC files. I know because I did it a while back by accident (encoded in ALAC instead of FLAC) and the tracks played just fine. Just to be sure, I just now ripped a couple of tracks to ALAC and imported them to the Opus 4. They played without any issues.

Thanks, Z. That's great info! But, since I have an older Symphony (3S), I don't know if it will help me. :-(
I'll try it this weekend & report what happens.

shamus 12-24-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Thats interesting... they must be trying to get apple to support them and went ahead and put it in but cant advertise it. I would be a little nervous to encode all my music just in case olive has second thoughts. I also wouldnt keep my music in a format owned by someone (apple, microsoft etc.)

I did look into that rockbox but it didnt support my ipod version.

Ed, heres a list of some devices:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

zbrett 12-24-2008 08:53 AM

While ALAC was developed by Apple, it is my understanding an open source decoder for ALAC is available. However, encoding remains closed source (proprietary). So there is no reason why Olive would pull support for ALAC playback out of the Opus 4 because they don't need Apple's permission to support the playback of ALAC files.

And while I'm on the subject, AAC is not proprietary to Apple. No licenses or payments are required to be able to stream or distribute content in AAC format. There are lots of other rippers/players (some open source) that will encode and decode AAC files. Apple, for whatever reason, decided to make AAC the default file type for the iPod.

Quote:

Thats interesting... they must be trying to get apple to support them and went ahead and put it in but cant advertise it. I would be a little nervous to encode all my music just in case olive has second thoughts. I also wouldnt keep my music in a format owned by someone (apple, microsoft etc.)

I did look into that rockbox but it didnt support my ipod version.

Ed, heres a list of some devices:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

mumsoft 12-24-2008 09:03 AM

Hi,

I'm rather, no, very new here. What the Olive Opus 4 promises, has drawn my attention. In the past weeks I have read almost every message about the Opus products in this forum. I can't remember that I stumbled upon a peculiar feature that especially made me curious, i.e. the fact that the Opus has special provisions for categorizing Classical music. Is this true? What is among these categories? Composer, soloist(s), orchestra, performers, solo instruments?
What can I expect?

Any clarification about this subject is most welcome.
In the past I have ripped almost 1200 cd's and I have ended up with no information at all about the classical merites of my music. I don't want hat happen again.

Thanks,

Marc

zbrett 12-24-2008 09:45 AM

I suggest you give this a read:

http://www.olive.us/downloads/Classical-Fact_Sheet.pdf

Olive has tweaked the information fields since this was first published, so they are a little different now, but the functions are still the same.

While you will still need to manually add a lot of info that isn't typically available CD databases, the unit does have enough fields to go into classical music information overload if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hi,

I'm rather, no, very new here. What the Olive Opus 4 promises, has drawn my attention. In the past weeks I have read almost every message about the Opus products in this forum. I can't remember that I stumbled upon a peculiar feature that especially made me curious, i.e. the fact that the Opus has special provisions for categorizing Classical music. Is this true? What is among these categories? Composer, soloist(s), orchestra, performers, solo instruments?
What can I expect?

Any clarification about this subject is most welcome.
In the past I have ripped almost 1200 cd's and I have ended up with no information at all about the classical merites of my music. I don't want hat happen again.

Thanks,

Marc

David Meek 12-24-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I agree on the quality issue. I'll have to try replacing some art via Maestro when I have a chance to see if I have the same problem.

Quote:

I finally wound up doing a power down and restart of the Opus. That appears to have resolved the glitch.

jk92147 12-24-2008 10:27 AM

I am also new here. Have had the opus 4 for a few weeks. I have perhaps 2000 classical cd's. So far I have ripped 370 cd's. For classical albums, you have to enter a lot of info to make it work. Frequently when you categorize a cd to classical, it will show up as an unknown work since the opus may not pick up the composer or work title. In addition, most of the time, the correct album artwork needs to be uploaded.
Hopefully with updates from olive, one will be able to search more quickly for a particular cd in album artwork or classical composer--- especially with a very large collection. JK92147

shamus 12-24-2008 10:30 AM

Welcome new members!

mumsoft 12-25-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk92147 View Post

I am also new here. Have had the opus 4 for a few weeks. I have perhaps 2000 classical cd's. So far I have ripped 370 cd's. For classical albums, you have to enter a lot of info to make it work. Frequently when you categorize a cd to classical, it will show up as an unknown work since the opus may not pick up the composer or work title. In addition, most of the time, the correct album artwork needs to be uploaded.
Hopefully with updates from olive, one will be able to search more quickly for a particular cd in album artwork or classical composer--- especially with a very large collection. JK92147

Hi, thank you for this honest reply. I was hoping for some better experience. The Opus is one of only a few offers with support for classical music. The only other one being the Naim hdx, as far as i have understood. But that one is also extremely expensive, and it's capacity is a mere 600 cd's.
Now, with your experience, would you still recommend this Opus 4 for classical music, or should i better wait for better times?

Marc

David Meek 12-25-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Hi, thank you for this honest reply. I was hoping for some better experience. The Opus is one of only a few offers with support for classical music. The only other one being the Naim hdx, as far as i have understood. But that one is also extremely expensive, and it's capacity is a mere 600 cd's.
Now, with your experience, would you still recommend this Opus 4 for classical music, or should i better wait for better times?

Marc

FWIW, I think the Opus is a good, cost-effective solution. You have to look at what's available as source information for classical music. I'm not a guru on classical music by any means, so my following questions may all have a resounding YES answer.

Is there an online database available for your low-or-no-cost use? Is it keyed in some fashion to the CD you are loading, ie. UPC (bar code)? Is it comprehensive? Is it comprehensive enough for you? Is it accurate - which isn't the same thing? What about artwork? Is there a system like an Opus that is set up to retrieve more information than you can through Olive? If you can answer yes to all of these then maybe you should consider waiting, but from what I've read (again, this isn't conclusive) there just isn't anything else out there that meets the criteria. Well, maybe the Sooloos, but we were talking about cost effective, right?

zbrett 12-29-2008 01:38 PM

Haven't tried it yet, but sounds good!

Release Notes Opus Nº4 and Melody Nº2

Changes in software version O.3.2.3 and M.3.2.3, released December 24, 2008

New features:

* Speed scrolling of artist, album and track lists
* Maestro page-scrolling and integrated alphabet-jump

Software bug fixes:

* Various stability fixes, especially for Maestro

Remaining known issues

* Melody volume control slow
* CD reference database update is not yet enabled
* Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes

shamus 12-29-2008 02:18 PM

Hmmmmm....
Just tried it and it appears "speed scrolling" is only available in Maestro (as far as I can tell) and does not seem to be an advantage over mouse scrolling.

We need scrolling on the display, Maestro was fine IMO.

fxbill 12-29-2008 11:17 PM

I've been one of those with volume problems on my Opus 4 and yet was quite happy with the sound from the onboard Dac and could never really see the need to purchase an outboard unit. I'd already modded my Shanling CD-100 with Burr Brown op amps, a jitter amp kit and upgraded audio caps so I felt it was doing as good as it ever would and was always pleased with the sound. I'm running it through an LS-25 Mk2, swap back and forth between an AR D-115, Mac 275 and HK McShane modded Citation 2 into a set of Cornwalls.
Then I happened to see an original DacMagic 1 on an auction from England. It stated that it was a 220 volt unit and that it worked fine except for the CD input....the other 2 inputs worked OK.
I won it for a very reasonable price and it only took a week to get it. The first thing I did was to open it up to see it if could be changed over to 110 volts or if I'd need a step up transformer.... East Squeezy...one wire change to convert to 110. Then I spotted a solder joint on the inputs that apparantly was missed in production. It was coming directly from the CD coax input. 5 minutes later I was done soldering and the unit was functioning properly with all inputs.
Today I hooked it up to my Shanling first, not expecting much of a change at all since the Shandling has already been pretty heavily modded, including the Western Electric output tubes. All I can say is WOW! My living room almost doubled in size and the instrumentation and vocals can now be pinpointed to within inches instead of feet...soundwise. The tonal quality is phenominal and makes even the modded Shanling sound like a KMart blue light special. I was astonished. I realize that the DacMagic 2 and 3 are supposed to be much better than the original model one, but I cannot imagine having that much more improvement in sound.
I then hooked up the Opus to it......same thing exactly.....wide open, but very natural sound and it puts the stock Olive Dac to shame. Admittedly, I still have the volume problem since the Dac doesn't have an adjustable volume, but I do love having the three separate inputs so that I can use my Polk Sirius for one input, the Opus for another and the Shanling for the third. I also love the fact that it has balanced outputs. Every other piece of gear I have has them except the Shanling, The Polk and the Olive. I'm not using the Balanced outs on the DacMagic yet since I don't have the Mac275 in line, but perhaps it might help with the volume issue.
In any case, I'm thrilled and can only imagine what the DacMagic 2 owners are enjoying.... As for me....I'm quite satisfied with this unit for only having paid $150 for it. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can experiment a little more with it.

zbrett 12-30-2008 08:25 AM

Great Story... and you have a great collection of equipment there. What vintage are your Klipsch Cornwalls?

I've noticed that my "new" Dacmagic has further opened up as it has broken in. It seems the Opus 4 is a great platform for those who want to play with the digital out and external DACs.

Quote:

I've been one of those with volume problems on my Opus 4 and yet was quite happy with the sound from the onboard Dac and could never really see the need to purchase an outboard unit. I'd already modded my Shanling CD-100 with Burr Brown op amps, a jitter amp kit and upgraded audio caps so I felt it was doing as good as it ever would and was always pleased with the sound. I'm running it through an LS-25 Mk2, swap back and forth between an AR D-115, Mac 275 and HK McShane modded Citation 2 into a set of Cornwalls.
Then I happened to see an original DacMagic 1 on an auction from England. It stated that it was a 220 volt unit and that it worked fine except for the CD input....the other 2 inputs worked OK.
I won it for a very reasonable price and it only took a week to get it. The first thing I did was to open it up to see it if could be changed over to 110 volts or if I'd need a step up transformer.... East Squeezy...one wire change to convert to 110. Then I spotted a solder joint on the inputs that apparantly was missed in production. It was coming directly from the CD coax input. 5 minutes later I was done soldering and the unit was functioning properly with all inputs.
Today I hooked it up to my Shanling first, not expecting much of a change at all since the Shandling has already been pretty heavily modded, including the Western Electric output tubes. All I can say is WOW! My living room almost doubled in size and the instrumentation and vocals can now be pinpointed to within inches instead of feet...soundwise. The tonal quality is phenominal and makes even the modded Shanling sound like a KMart blue light special. I was astonished. I realize that the DacMagic 2 and 3 are supposed to be much better than the original model one, but I cannot imagine having that much more improvement in sound.
I then hooked up the Opus to it......same thing exactly.....wide open, but very natural sound and it puts the stock Olive Dac to shame. Admittedly, I still have the volume problem since the Dac doesn't have an adjustable volume, but I do love having the three separate inputs so that I can use my Polk Sirius for one input, the Opus for another and the Shanling for the third. I also love the fact that it has balanced outputs. Every other piece of gear I have has them except the Shanling, The Polk and the Olive. I'm not using the Balanced outs on the DacMagic yet since I don't have the Mac275 in line, but perhaps it might help with the volume issue.
In any case, I'm thrilled and can only imagine what the DacMagic 2 owners are enjoying.... As for me....I'm quite satisfied with this unit for only having paid $150 for it. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can experiment a little more with it.

mumsoft 12-30-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I think the Opus is a good, cost-effective solution. You have to look at what's available as source information for classical music. I'm not a guru on classical music by any means, so my following questions may all have a resounding YES answer.

Is there an online database available for your low-or-no-cost use? Is it keyed in some fashion to the CD you are loading, ie. UPC (bar code)? Is it comprehensive? Is it comprehensive enough for you? Is it accurate - which isn't the same thing? What about artwork? Is there a system like an Opus that is set up to retrieve more information than you can through Olive? If you can answer yes to all of these then maybe you should consider waiting, but from what I've read (again, this isn't conclusive) there just isn't anything else out there that meets the criteria. Well, maybe the Sooloos, but we were talking about cost effective, right?

I'm also no guru on classical music, at least not regarding all these questions. Here in Holland I have to wait a bit for the Opus to come my way, as we have only one shop that imports it, and they still don't have it.

But I have taken the plunge, and I really hope it will be my last buy after upgrading my amplifier to a LFD Integrated Zero MK-III LE, and my speakers to Phonar Veritas P5 EdMa's, that you probably have never heard (of) in the USA.
I also bought a Cambridge DacMagic as ice on the cake, and now I wait...

In the mean time I listen to my rips on my Ziova CS 510, that really does a neat job with FLAC files. But I'm very eager to hear the first tones from the Opus 4.

Marc

fxbill 12-31-2008 09:51 PM

Hi,
Thank you.... I do enjoy my system although these 63 year old ears miss a lot of good sound!
My Cornwalls are the early models with the motor run caps for the crossovers. I don't know if the actual drivers are any different than newer models, but after hearing mine right next to newer ones I can attest to the fact that the motor cap crossovers are far superior to the newer ones. Many of my forum friends on the Citation group and Golden Tube forums have Cornwalls and have switched over from the newer crossovers to the oil cap units....or built their own using motor run caps and are quite impressed with the difference in sound. I also have a set of Altec Model 19s that I've modded the crossovers on. I got the same improvement with them doing it.

gfd 01-01-2009 05:01 PM

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Logitech Squeezebox Boom to put in my basement so that my kids could listen to streamed music wirelessly either from my PC or potentially from the Opus 4. It was very easy to set up and configure and it is nicely streaming music from my PC (with surprisingly good sound), but I have had less success streaming from the Opus.

The software on the PC is called SqueezeCenter (a web app) and is required for the device to be able to connect to the networked PC. It can be easily populated with the PC's music library and it is this library that streams to the device.

My Opus 4 is a UPnP client on my PC and is therefore recognized as a media server. Once I enabled the UPnP Client in the SqueezeCenter Advanced Settings and restarted it, SqueezeCenter recognized the Opus as well as all of its music and playlists. Much like Maestro, in SqueezeCenter you can control which songs are playing on the Boom so in this way you can play songs from the Opus on the Boom.

Unfortunately, the Boom itself cannot see the songs and playlists even though the Opus can be selected as a music source. If you select Opus Albums from the Boom, for example, instead of getting a list of albums it just says "URL" so it seems to be unable to get the list from SqueezeCenter. I haven't figured out how to work around this yet and it may just be a bug. I've done some searching in the Boom forums without success, but I'll keep looking.

I failed making this long story short and I realize it may not interest many of you, but I just thought I'd share this in case anyone was thinking of doing something similar. I know that Olive sells a device that streams music from the Opus but it is more expensive and must be connected to another sound system to work. It would be overkill for my purposes.

Thanks for reading,
Gerry

mumsoft 01-02-2009 01:48 AM

To make things work, the sqeeuzecenter server software should run on your Opus. As the Opus is a Linux device, it should be possible to make this happen, but, as I currently have no Opus at hand, I don't know which steps will lead to success.
I have an Asus WL-700gE NAS for which this is possible.

But I doubt that running both Opus native software alongside Squeezecenter is such a good idea...

Marc

gfd 01-02-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

But I doubt that running bothe Opus native software alongside Squeezecenter is such a good idea...

Thanks, Marc. Yeah, I'm not desperate enough with this to attempt to install squeezecenter on the Opus. I don't think anyone has figured out yet how to access the OS on the Opus 4 anyway.

Since squeezecenter has no problem seeing all of the music on the Opus via UPnP I'm not sure this would make a difference. It's the Boom itself that seems to have the problem seeing what SqueezeCenter can already see. I've read about some users complaining about the Boom's limited UPnP support. Maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update at some point.

fxbill 01-02-2009 07:54 PM

Not to disrupt an ongoing thread, but we seem to be bouncing around anyway so I hope no one minds.
I connected my Shanling, my Opus and my Polk Sirius to the DacMagic and although the Shanling and the Opus work fine through the DacMagic the Polk won't kick in and work.
I can see the leds on the front trying to lock in, but it never happens and all I get is dead silence.
Could it be a problem with the sample rate out of the Polk? If so I might actually have to put in a separate, inexpensive DIY dac inside the Polk unit to interface with the DacMagic, but don't want to invest in another piece of equipment as an experiment. The Polk does have optical and coax outs from it's own Dac, but they just seem to be incompatible with the DacMagic and their Dac just doesn't really cut the mustard with a high end system. Am I expecting too much from Sirius radio?
Anyone with any ideas on the subject?

mumsoft 01-03-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Since squeezecenter has no problem seeing all of the music on the Opus via UPnP I'm not sure this would make a difference. It's the Boom itself that seems to have the problem seeing what SqueezeCenter can already see. I've read about some users complaining about the Boom's limited UPnP support. Maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update at some point.

Some thoughts about this... My Asus NAS lets me decide in it's web interface, whether or not wifi clients can see/talk to each other. Normally, an access point will allow clients to talk to itself, but not to other clients. So maybe you can find such an option in your pc.
But maybe I'm just talking nonsense. I'm a Linux lover, and besides, never tried to make my pc wireless.

Marc

egoss 01-03-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Not to disrupt an ongoing thread, but we seem to be bouncing around anyway so I hope no one minds.
I connected my Shanling, my Opus and my Polk Sirius to the DacMagic and although the Shanling and the Opus work fine through the DacMagic the Polk won't kick in and work.
I can see the leds on the front trying to lock in, but it never happens and all I get is dead silence.
Could it be a problem with the sample rate out of the Polk? If so I might actually have to put in a separate, inexpensive DIY dac inside the Polk unit to interface with the DacMagic, but don't want to invest in another piece of equipment as an experiment. The Polk does have optical and coax outs from it's own Dac, but they just seem to be incompatible with the DacMagic and their Dac just doesn't really cut the mustard with a high end system. Am I expecting too much from Sirius radio?
Anyone with any ideas on the subject?

Can you check in the manual for the Polk Sirius to see what sampling rate it outputs? If it's not 44.1k PCM, your DAC won't recognize it. It might be 32k, or 48k, or possibly not even PCM - it might be DSD or some kind of Dolby I'm not familiar with.

I just checked on the Polk info page for the SR-H1000 (assuming that's what you're using) and it says:

"Hooking up is a snap. The SR-H1000 features an Optical digital output and standard RCA analog stereo outputs so you can hook it up to ANY stereo receiver or amp. Of course, you'll need to subscribe to the SIRIUS Satellite Radio service. "

Theoretically, it should work the way you have it hooked up.

And, lo and behold - there's a Polk Sirius forum thread right here on AVS! You might try your question there. :-)

Best of luck,
Ed

mumsoft 01-04-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Can you check in the manual for the Polk Sirius to see what sampling rate it outputs? If it's not 44.1k PCM, your DAC won't recognize it. It might be 32k, or 48k, or possibly not even PCM - it might be DSD or some kind of Dolby I'm not familiar with.
[cut]
Best of luck,
Ed

The Dacmagic can have much more input rates than only 44.1Khz, including all that you mentioned. Just check the manual.

But it has 2 digital inputs and 1 output, looking all the same. Could it be that the Sirius is hooked on the output?
My 2 cents...

Marc

David Meek 01-06-2009 11:27 AM

I have a bug report for Opus4 owners.

I updated my Opus4 to O.3.2.3 last night, encountering no problems initially. However, I just tried to scroll through the album artwork using Maestro and could only see the numeric, A and B titles. The C through Z don't show up, even though the Navigation bar on the left shows a correct artwork count of 689.

I just got off the phone with support at Olive. I was told that this is a known issue with the O.3.2.3 version. It's happening but only with a limited number of the units. A fix should be available this week.

mumsoft 01-08-2009 01:24 PM

Hi,

I just got my Opus, and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed by it. Just to test its capabilities I threw 3 discs at it. One with Yo-Yo Ma and the Cleveland Quartet (Schubert), and two Opera's I randomly choose from my collection: Macbeth from Verdi on EMI with Riccardo Muti as conductor, and Gluck's Orphée et Euridice by the Opera of Lyon conducted by John Elliot Gardiner, with Anne Sofie van Otter and Barbera Hendricks to name a few.
--- NONE of these were recognized by the internal database which promises to recognize discs in 'almost all cases' ---
I regard this as false information.
I will test some more cases, but my expectations are meager now.

Naturally, I don't sit and wait until this is fixed, it problably never will. These discs ar not new at all nor obscure.

To make life lighter, I decided to append the cd's of these opera's to one per opera. I was glad that I found this possibility, because it makes it easier to repare the false information that came from freedb.
But to my dismall I found that this operation just merged the numbers and did not append the disks as the manual states.
So I deleted both opera's and started anew. I also downloaded the newer manual, to find this extra sentence:
"Before you do, edit the CD number fields for both CDs to ensure playback is in
order of the CDs."
Ok, thanks a lot for this clarification. And no thanks for this underperforming appending of cd's, which should just work.

But now, I just can't find the place in the maesto interface to do this.
Somebody here?

Marc

David Meek 01-08-2009 07:24 PM

Marc, if I understand what you are asking, I think you need to edit the album name then go to the Recording tab and change the Disc Number (for the first performance) to 1 and the Total Discs to the number of performances you are saving. For the second performance change the Disc Number to 2, and the Total Discs for that performance to the same number as the first, and so on. ie:

Disc Number 1, Total Discs 3 (first performance)
Disc Number 2, Total Discs 3 (second performance)
Disc Number 3, Total Discs 3 (third performance)

When editing each performance, make sure that the Album Title is identical for all. I think that should do it.

fxbill 01-08-2009 08:17 PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. My DacMagic 1 has three inputs ( cable), RCA outs and Balanced Outs. The three inputs are for CD, DAT and Aux. The Sample rates are 32, 44.1 and 48. The Polk has optical out as well as coax out in addition to the standard RCA outs. It's not that it sounds bad....It actually sounds pretty good, but of course cannot compete with the CDs or Olive. I just don't know if it's because it's radio broadcast or simply inexpensive Dacs in it.
Thanks for the tip on the Sirius site....I'll check there as well.
Happy new year to all here.
Regards,
Bill

mumsoft 01-09-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Marc, if I understand what you are asking, I think you need to edit the album name then go to the Recording tab and change the Disc Number (for the first performance) to 1 and the Total Discs to the number of performances you are saving. For the second performance change the Disc Number to 2, and the Total Discs for that performance to the same number as the first, and so on. ie:

Disc Number 1, Total Discs 3 (first performance)
Disc Number 2, Total Discs 3 (second performance)
Disc Number 3, Total Discs 3 (third performance)

When editing each performance, make sure that the Album Title is identical for all. I think that should do it.

David, Thanks! With a little help from you I can now understand how it works. So, now I actually have one well sorted opera 'Pelléas et Mélisande' under Album Name, but unfortunately i already had moved 2 discs of these to the Classical genre, where they sit now in a wrong order merged together. Can I delete the wrong contamination and copy the good Opera again to Classical, or will this actually delete the music files?

Thanks in advance.
Marc

David Meek 01-09-2009 11:30 PM

Marc, I'm glad that helped you out. Now on the new question, I'm not sure about that. Based on what I know, I'd just delete the old merged files and re-import them. Maybe someone else can jump in here with more info...?

zbrett 01-10-2009 06:10 AM

I'm not sure either. I would do the same thing. Delete the merged files and start over.

Quote:

Marc, I'm glad that helped you out. Now on the new question, I'm not sure about that. Based on what I know, I'd just delete the old merged files and re-import them. Maybe someone else can jump in here with more info...?

mumsoft 01-10-2009 08:08 AM

Ok, I deleted it, and started over... But again I feel stuck..
Under Albums I have 3 discs of this one Opera. As told by David I can edit the album name, change the disc number and total, and thus merge the three into one album, neatly sorted. Nice...
But it still has no Composer and Work info. So, I drag this neatly sorted album to Classical (opera, french), only to find that the Olive has it now listed as Unknown Composer under Unknown work and reshufled the tracks again in wrong order!

Again I had to delete this, beacuse I could not repair it. Not nice.

Now, the opposite approach:
Under Albums I have 3 discs of this one Opera. Now I first drag them to the Classical genre, and I can edit the Composer and Work. Fine. But I don't see a way to change the album name in this view, let alone the total number of discs. That seems to be a feature of the album view alone.

So, I'm stuck? Is this just a bug?
Marc

Roseval 01-12-2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I just got my Opus, and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed by it. Just to test its capabilities I threw 3 discs at it. One with Yo-Yo Ma and the Cleveland Quartet (Schubert), and two Opera's I randomly choose from my collection: Macbeth from Verdi on EMI with Riccardo Muti as conductor, and Gluck's Orphée et Euridice by the Opera of Lyon conducted by John Elliot Gardiner, with Anne Sofie van Otter and Barbera Hendricks to name a few.
--- NONE of these were recognized by the internal database which promises to recognize discs in 'almost all cases' ---

This is typical for FreeDB, support for classical music is poor.
Don't know if the local database is the entire one (in the past on the Hifidelio, is was a subset), going online might help.
In case of classical music, ripping and tagging on your PC using WMP might yield better results: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.c...o/Edit/AMG.htm

jk92147 01-12-2009 07:48 AM

I have the same problem after update to 3.2.3. Also there is a problem with the listing of classical composers that there was not with the previous update 3.2.2. Hopefully the bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

mumsoft 01-13-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

I have the same problem after update to 3.2.3. Also there is a problem with the listing of classical composers that there was not with the previous update 3.2.2. Hopefully the bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

Jk92147, could you tell something more about the bug with the listing of classical composers?
My Opus came preloaded with rel. O.3.2.3, so I can't see differences.

Meanwhile I have told my experience with the wrong playing order to the Opus helpdesk. They replied [...] I have passed your issue onto our development team to see if this is an issue they are aware of [...]

Let's hope for the best.

Marc

jk92147 01-13-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Jk92147, could you tell something more about the bug with the listing of classical composers?
My Opus came preloaded with rel. O.3.2.3, so I can't see differences.

Meanwhile I have told my experience with the wrong playing order to the Opus helpdesk. They replied [...] I have passed your issue onto our development team to see if this is an issue they are aware of [...]

Let's hope for the best.

Marc

Marc, 2 major maestro bugs with 3.2.3. In Maestro viewing album art, only the first 40 or so album art can be viewed with Maestro despite the correct number being listed on the left side of the screen. Also under classical composers, the first 40 or so are listed in alphabetical order, then begins again with the A's a second time and goes to 'Z'. Hopefully the 2 bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

zbrett 01-13-2009 04:36 PM

Another bug is the "play" button no longer works in the playlists.

I have it on good authority that these bugs should be fixed in the next release.

Quote:

Marc, 2 major maestro bugs with 3.2.3. In Maestro viewing album art, only the first 40 or so album art can be viewed with Maestro despite the correct number being listed on the left side of the screen. Also under classical composers, the first 40 or so are listed in alphabetical order, then begins again with the A's a second time and goes to 'Z'. Hopefully the 2 bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

mumsoft 01-22-2009 01:55 PM

Hi, I have the Opus now for some weeks. I'm getting used to it, and it does a good job with importing cd's and recognizing them. Still I have to edit some fields, especially with classical music. But that does not bother me (so much) (anymore).
I noticed that playing a cd directly gives a much inferior sound than with my Marantz SA 7001 KI sacd player, how would you guys rate the Opus 4 as cd-player?
It's just amazing how much better it sounds after importing, I mean, that's no surprise, but the difference with my cd player is rather striking.

Marc

David Meek 01-23-2009 08:46 PM

I'm feeding the Opus4's digital output into the same standalone DAC (Musical Fidelity A3.24) that I ran my transport (Yamaha CDR-1000) into and I can safely say that I haven't noticed an audible difference when just playing a CD.

I'm willing to bet that your Marantz has better internal DACs than the Opus does - assuming you have been using the analog outputs on both.

David Meek 01-23-2009 08:52 PM

Z, Shamus,

Have either of you heard anything out of Olive regarding the OS patch for O.3.2.3? That "later this week" date has slipped a bit.

nottlv 01-26-2009 03:12 PM

I have a modified Musica that I'm thinking about replacing with an Opus No. 4 now that it seems most of the bugs have been addressed, primarily to gain more storage space and ongoing updates. I was hoping an owner could answer a few questions.

Will the Opus No. 4 play the new Reference Recordings HRx discs? I'm guessing the answer is no, as they are 176/24 WAV files.

I know the web/Rondo interface is in beta--how does it compare to the (relatively crude) interface of the older models? Could someone upload a few screenshots of it? My listening area is a large loft, and I sometimes listen to music while on my laptop across the room, so I do use the web interface quite frequently.

Has anyone used a third party CD ripping/tagging service? I was looking at the ReadyToPlay service (http://www.readytoplaysecure.com), since they focus on high quality rips using dBpoweramp as well as accurate metadata. Is there anything unusual with importing FLAC files into the Opus No. 4 with regards to metadata or cover art that I should watch out for when using a third party service? My collection is roughly 35% classical.

Aside from copying / importing to the "import" share, is accessing files from a NAS on the upcoming feature list? I believe that was on the list for the previous generation of models, but new development on those is pretty much dead at this point it seems.

Thanks.

mumsoft 01-28-2009 02:27 AM

Hi,

I can't answer all your questions.
As for the screen shots, I would suggest that you download the manual from the opus site, as it contains much screen shots, and can answer some more questions you have.
The Rondo interface is not yet accessible in a browser, so making screenshots myself is a bit awkward.

Accessing files from a NAS is feasible, as long as it runs some music server like Twonky. It will not get the files by itself with smb or so. I have a Ziova that does that.

The Opus 4 can import HD music, but I have no experience with that, nor do I know the exact format. I hope someone else will tell.

Marc

zbrett 01-28-2009 08:19 AM

The Opus 4 will not play any High Resolution Audio files without an external DAC. I haven't tried the HRx discs, but I have tried both 96-khz/24-bit and 44-khz/24-bit FLAC files, and the internal DAC will not process them correctly.

I suspect the Opus 6 will have the capability to natively handle High Resolution FLAC files, but it is anyone's guess as to when the 6 will be available.

Meanwhile I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (the new version) with my Opus 4, and the combination works great.

If you read back through the posts, you'll see a number of us use Exact Audio Copy to rip CDs to FLAC on our PCs, then use Media Monkey to edit the metadata, and then import those files into the Opus 4.

I can't comment on third party tagging services since I haven't used any.

As David M. stated, the Opus 4 will see NAS devices on you network as long as they are DNLA capable. The Opus 4 sees and plays files off of my HP MV2020 just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottlv View Post

I have a modified Musica that I'm thinking about replacing with an Opus No. 4 now that it seems most of the bugs have been addressed, primarily to gain more storage space and ongoing updates. I was hoping an owner could answer a few questions.

Will the Opus No. 4 play the new Reference Recordings HRx discs? I'm guessing the answer is no, as they are 176/24 WAV files.

I know the web/Rondo interface is in beta--how does it compare to the (relatively crude) interface of the older models? Could someone upload a few screenshots of it? My listening area is a large loft, and I sometimes listen to music while on my laptop across the room, so I do use the web interface quite frequently.

Has anyone used a third party CD ripping/tagging service? I was looking at the ReadyToPlay service (http://www.readytoplaysecure.com), since they focus on high quality rips using dBpoweramp as well as accurate metadata. Is there anything unusual with importing FLAC files into the Opus No. 4 with regards to metadata or cover art that I should watch out for when using a third party service? My collection is roughly 35% classical.

Aside from copying / importing to the "import" share, is accessing files from a NAS on the upcoming feature list? I believe that was on the list for the previous generation of models, but new development on those is pretty much dead at this point it seems.

Thanks.

shamus 01-28-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

The Opus 4 will not play any High Resolution Audio files without an external DAC.

What about with a digital connection?

zbrett 01-28-2009 11:38 AM

Only if the Pre-amp/Amp/Receiver/Etc you are feeding the digital connection into from the Opus 4 has a DAC that can handle the high resolution files.

The DAC in your Denon (as well as mine) can handle the high resolution files, but I don't use my Opus with my Denon that I use for my home theater set up, but rather a Cambridge Audio 840R, which has no internal DAC and only analog inputs.

Quote:

What about with a digital connection?

shamus 01-28-2009 11:40 AM

Thanks Z....

mumsoft 01-28-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

I'm feeding the Opus4's digital output into the same standalone DAC (Musical Fidelity A3.24) that I ran my transport (Yamaha CDR-1000) into and I can safely say that I haven't noticed an audible difference when just playing a CD.

I'm willing to bet that your Marantz has better internal DACs than the Opus does - assuming you have been using the analog outputs on both.

David,

When I listened to the cd-player in both the Marantz and the Opus, they both were connected to my Cambridge DacMagic.
The difference was quite obvious. A friend who listened thought that Johnny Cash had caught a cold on the Opus.
Also twidling with the phase made a difference, but it did not come close to what the Marantz cd player produced.

Marc

nottlv 01-28-2009 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I did check the manual before posting and there was simply a mention that the web interface would be activated in a future release. I thought I remember reading in the other (lengthy) Olive thread that the web/Rondo interface URL was posted and was already active in a beta form, so I was hoping someone could post a few shots of that. I was curious if it looked more like the "old" web interface or more like the new interface on the internal screen. No big deal though.

My Thecus 5200Pro NAS has a UPnP / DLNA server built-in (licensed from a company name Mediabolic), so hopefully that would work though Mediabolic isn't specifically mentioned in the Olive manual.

I'd be using the Opus in the same manner as my Musica, which is strictly through the digital S/PDIF output into a TacT 2150XDM digital amp. The TacT's digital inputs can handle up to 24/192 2 channel PCM, so I was curious if the Opus can output the Reference Recordings HRx (176/24 WAV) and the Linn StudioMaster (up to 192/24 FLAC) files. At $45 and $32 a pop, respectively, it's probably not a chance I'd take without knowing since I'd have no other way to play them otherwise (plus it's more of an audiophile curiosity given none of the available titles really float my boat). I'll shoot an email to Olive sales to see if they can answer that question.

JimInLoganSquare 01-29-2009 06:24 PM

I'm sorry if this has been answered before (and someone perhaps can direct me there), but could someone please tell me how, step by step, to move music from my PC onto my Opus No. 4? I would love to start importing CDs (and downloading files from HDTracks) on my PC and pushing them onto the Opus, but the directions in the User Manual (Section 5.2) are not helpful. This will be especially useful for the many CDs I have that aren't recognized by the Opus CD database (I have a lot of those). Thanks, folks!

zbrett 01-30-2009 05:29 AM

The Rondo interface looks just like the screen on the Opus. However, it is difficult to navigate because it lacks the buttons, or the ability to do the alphabet jump. Coordination between the Rondo interface and the screen is also iffy. I usually end up using a combination of my laptop (Maestro and Rondo) and remote to control the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottlv View Post

Thanks for the info guys.

I did check the manual before posting and there was simply a mention that the web interface would be activated in a future release. I thought I remember reading in the other (lengthy) Olive thread that the web/Rondo interface URL was posted and was already active in a beta form, so I was hoping someone could post a few shots of that. I was curious if it looked more like the "old" web interface or more like the new interface on the internal screen. No big deal though.

My Thecus 5200Pro NAS has a UPnP / DLNA server built-in (licensed from a company name Mediabolic), so hopefully that would work though Mediabolic isn't specifically mentioned in the Olive manual.

I'd be using the Opus in the same manner as my Musica, which is strictly through the digital S/PDIF output into a TacT 2150XDM digital amp. The TacT's digital inputs can handle up to 24/192 2 channel PCM, so I was curious if the Opus can output the Reference Recordings HRx (176/24 WAV) and the Linn StudioMaster (up to 192/24 FLAC) files. At $45 and $32 a pop, respectively, it's probably not a chance I'd take without knowing since I'd have no other way to play them otherwise (plus it's more of an audiophile curiosity given none of the available titles really float my boat). I'll shoot an email to Olive sales to see if they can answer that question.

zbrett 01-30-2009 05:35 AM

Assuming you are using Windows, all you need to do is go to Start -> Run and type in \\\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represents the IP address of the Opus). A window containing a folder named "import" should pop up. Open the import folder, and drag and drop the files into the folder.

If you don't know the IP address of the Opus, you can find it by selecting Settings -> Network Settings -> Network Information on the Opus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInLoganSquare View Post

I'm sorry if this has been answered before (and someone perhaps can direct me there), but could someone please tell me how, step by step, to move music from my PC onto my Opus No. 4? I would love to start importing CDs (and downloading files from HDTracks) on my PC and pushing them onto the Opus, but the directions in the User Manual (Section 5.2) are not helpful. This will be especially useful for the many CDs I have that aren't recognized by the Opus CD database (I have a lot of those). Thanks, folks!

mumsoft 01-30-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInLoganSquare View Post

I'm sorry if this has been answered before (and someone perhaps can direct me there), but could someone please tell me how, step by step, to move music from my PC onto my Opus No. 4?

If you are using Linux, it's easier than with windows
At least, on my pc I open Local Network, next SMB services, choose smb://opus/, and after a while the Import folder pops up. Now I copy what I like to this folder.
I have given the hostname opus to the ip-address the Opus No 4 has.

The Opus manual says: currently access is limited to Windows pc's

Greetz
Marc

zbrett 01-30-2009 04:31 PM

Oh yeah, you Linux guys.... I outta... What version on Linux are you using?

An easier way to do it in Windows is to type the \\\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in your Internet Explorer browser.

Quote:

If you are using Linux, it's easier than with windows
At least, on my pc I open Local Network, next SMB services, choose smb://opus/, and after a while the Import folder pops up. Now I copy what I like to this folder.
I have given the hostname opus to the ip-address the Opus No 4 has.

The Opus manual says: currently access is limited to Windows pc's

Greetz
Marc

mumsoft 01-31-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah, you Linux guys.... I outta... What version on Linux are you using?

An easier way to do it in Windows is to type the \\\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in your Internet Explorer browser.

Well, eh guys? I'm probably the only one.
For about 6 years I have been using Suse Linux, it started with version 8 and now I use version 11.1

For reasons obvious to me, I don't want any pc or gadget in our house to use Windows. Until now that's pretty easy.

But that's not ontopic.

Marc

JimInLoganSquare 01-31-2009 02:43 PM

Thanks for the tips; I was able to open the Import folder and start loading HDTracks albums onto the Opus. Chesky 96/24 recordings (in FLAC) sound wonderful through my new Cambridge/Azur DACMagic.

edmiston 02-01-2009 11:29 AM

I am a former owner of an Olive Musica. It was my first foray into hard drive storage of music. I loved the concept but sold the unit because the drive was so noisy and there were many hardware glitches. I now want to start over but am unsure which road to take. I will take the digital out, run it through a Monarchy DIP and into an Integra 9.9 surround processor. My thought is that for $1300 I can get an iMac with a 500gig hard drive and optical digital output. The display is easily seen across the room and I could use my iPod touch for a remote.

Are there any advantages to the Opus 4 over the Mac system (other than it is smaller)?

Thanks,

Mark