AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-cd-players-dedicated-music-transports/)
-   -   Hard Drive upgrade for Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/153-cd-players-dedicated-music-transports/1124857-hard-drive-upgrade-yamaha-cdr-hd1500.html)

Lean Mfg. 02-27-2009 08:38 AM

I'm thinking about getting a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 for ripping all of my CD's in an uncompressed format. I understand it comes with only a 200GB drive. With well over 800 CD's in my collection that won't even come close. Is it possible to put a 1TB or larger drive in it? I've read that you can upgrade the HD, but I'm not sure what the limit is.

Thanks,

Kevin

Ysay 02-27-2009 08:57 AM

Nice unit thet will blend well with the rest of the audio gears. High price tag though.

As far as your 1TB question, your best bet is to call Yamaha and ask them if the firmware support that size hard disk.

I use a macmini to rip and play all my CDs to my system. Not as nice looking as the Yamaha but more functional. I added an external iomega hard drive to get more disk space.

WilliamZX11 02-27-2009 07:41 PM

A 500GB drive will easily hold 800 cd's. Mine came with a 300GB drive, has about 400 CD's on it, and still has 192 hours of space left. I only mention this because we have had a much higher failure rate with 1TB drives at work, and I wonder if the higher density drives are really perfected yet.

Anyways, according to Yamaha, it can handle a 2TB drive. Bottom of the page:

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/product_sup...q/?sectionid=5

KrisM 03-02-2009 09:19 PM

I have the HD1300. I don't know how your unit would compare, but with mine there is a limit as to the number of "albums" you can put into it. The limit is 100 albums of 100 minutes each. I had to replace my drive due to a fan problem, I think I have either 80 or 100 GB in it right now. I'd love to increase the capacity but I don't know if there is way around the "album" limit.

WilliamZX11 03-03-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

I have the HD1300. I don't know how your unit would compare, but with mine there is a limit as to the number of "albums" you can put into it. The limit is 100 albums of 100 minutes each. I had to replace my drive due to a fan problem, I think I have either 80 or 100 GB in it right now. I'd love to increase the capacity but I don't know if there is way around the "album" limit.

The 1500 has a limit of 999 albums, I suspect only the firmware is different. As far as upgrading the drive, the 1300 is limited to 132GB. And don't confuse "albums" with "discs", you can store more than 100 discs on the 1300.

KrisM 03-03-2009 06:56 PM

Yeah, I was talking about the "albums" limit that went up to 100, not the number of cds. You could fit 2 cds per "album" in most cases. I wish there was a way update the firmware/program to get the unit up to the 999 limit with a big ass hard drive.
While we are talking about these units, has anybody been able to figure out a timer set-up for recording. I often record a radio show on Saturday nights, but if I'm not at home I can't, unless I just start the unit recording and leave it.

KrisM 03-03-2009 07:02 PM

Damn, I just re-read what you wrote and figured you were talking about discs and cds in the same breath. So I checked my unit and it will go above 100 "discs". I thought the limit of 100 applied to albums and discs. Thanks for pointing that out.

KrisM

WilliamZX11 03-03-2009 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
While we are talking about these units, has anybody been able to figure out a timer set-up for recording. I often record a radio show on Saturday nights, but if I'm not at home I can't, unless I just start the unit recording and leave it.
This is from the 1500's manual, you need an external timer to do what you want.

 

timer.pdf 68.35546875k . file

Harrypt 03-04-2009 07:40 AM

Storage and playback is not the purpose of this unit. It is meant to record to the HD, then transfer to CD for permanent storage. You will likely find the menu system for archiving unsatisfactory compared to other solutions.

KrisM 03-04-2009 09:20 AM

I think this unit was a little late to the game with regards to storing and playing music. It competed with those 100+ mega changers , but better solutions came on the market at about the same time as far as hard drive solutions are concerned. And not that I paid this much, due to an insurance claim, but I think mine reatailed for $1200-1300CDN at the time.
Back to the timer question, does anybody know where to get a timer that will work? I have no clue what the manual is saying when it talks abount an external timer.

KrisM

WilliamZX11 03-05-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

Storage and playback is not the purpose of this unit. It is meant to record to the HD, then transfer to CD for permanent storage. You will likely find the menu system for archiving unsatisfactory compared to other solutions.

Odd that it will handle a 2TB drive then, I've never seen any CD's that large. I've never made a CD on mine, and storing CD's alphabetically makes it quite easy to use.

I'm sure there are better menu systems now, the 1500 is 4 years old, the 1300 even older.

cpc 04-03-2009 06:47 PM

I guess they don't read HDCD and record the full 20 bits? I am surprised I haven't seen a replacement for this unit yet. I'm looking around for one. I was going to pick up a Sony 200-400 disc carousel, but I thought that was not a good idea these days. I like the idea of having a CDR-HD1500 and a 5 disc carousel or two.

Eddie1349 05-29-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

I think this unit was a little late to the game with regards to storing and playing music. It competed with those 100+ mega changers , but better solutions came on the market at about the same time as far as hard drive solutions are concerned. And not that I paid this much, due to an insurance claim, but I think mine reatailed for $1200-1300CDN at the time.
Back to the timer question, does anybody know where to get a timer that will work? I have no clue what the manual is saying when it talks abount an external timer.

KrisM

I'm dealing with a customer who has a CDR-HD 1300 that needs a new CDR Drive. Based on the initial investment they made, it is not cost effective to repair. They primarily use the machine to provide continuous background music in a hair salon. I'm wondering what might be the best alternative to the 1300? For instance, they currently are using an iPod running through a standard receiver. The only complaint is that the relative volume level seems to fluctuate from song to song off the iPod. Would that have more to do with how the music was recorded on the iPod in the first place?

I'm assuming that in a more critical listening environment the 1300 would produce a better result (less compression etc.). However, for background music the iPod seems to be satisfactory. Are there any other alternatives that come to mind?

Any/all feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks...

WilliamZX11 05-29-2009 09:12 PM

The CDR drive is a Plextor PX-W5232TA. You can find them online refurbished for $50 or so. All you need to do is swap the faceplate of the two drives.

Or get a new one, I think the 1300 is worth $178:
http://www.partstore.com/Part/Yamaha...85100/New.aspx

Any CDR should work, I had an Asus drive hooked to mine, and it could still rip CD's. I didn't try burning. You would need the Plextor to be able to mount the Yamaha's CDR faceplate, but if he's not concerned about how it looks, no big deal.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.