List of devices that bypass iPod's internal DAC - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 92 Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,939
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The Wadia has no analog outputs, since it has no built in DACs, so no it is not a good choice for you. Unless you buy a separate DAC and insert it between the Wadia and your receiver.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transp...ifications.php

yep as was tried to be explained if want analog outputs. there are really only a few ways to go.

go the like of a cambridge ID50 or arcam rdock. does a great job in my opinion to hook up via their analogs to any other amp wiht analog inputs. or go a digital dock ie cambridge ID100, onkyo ND-s1, or wadia or little apple tv and use their digital output to a dac of some description

have posted pics of both approaches for example

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 92 Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The Wadia has no analog outputs, since it has no built in DACs, so no it is not a good choice for you. Unless you buy a separate DAC and insert it between the Wadia and your receiver.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transp...ifications.php

That may be true for the 171i, but the 170i does have left/right RCA line level outputs, which to me seems like kind of an expensive way to achieve an analog connection. Cheaper Ipod docks, as mentioned will do the job.
runnin' is offline  
post #33 of 92 Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

That may be true for the 171i, but the 170i does have left/right RCA line level outputs, which to me seems like kind of an expensive way to achieve an analog connection. Cheaper Ipod docks, as mentioned will do the job.

Now I feel like an idiot. This entire time I've been looking at the 170i staring right at the left/right RCA outputs thinking to myself, "What do they mean there's no analog out? I'm staring right at them!?!?!" Okay, clearly I'm smoking something without knowing it. My apologies for the confusion.

So if I'm sticking with analog, there's no point in bypassing the iPod's internal DAC? If I got the i50, what makes that better than any other iPod dock that also doesn't bypass the DAC??

Thanks!
theshiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 92 Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Newbie
 
Bwilson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had an iD100 for a month or so and I am very pleased. I use it mainly to stream Pandora and Slacker from my iPhone to my stereo and it sounds surprisingly good given the low bit rates.

I use the AES/EBU balanced connection into my Musical Fidelity M1 Dac.

Very good for the price and nice compact design.
Bwilson1 is offline  
post #35 of 92 Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,939
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post

~

So if I'm sticking with analog, there's no point in bypassing the iPod's internal DAC? If I got the i50, what makes that better than any other iPod dock that also doesn't bypass the DAC??

Thanks!

because both the cambridge ID50 and arcam rdock actually take the analog output of the ipod and condition it for decent output level and impedance, essentially sorting out the analog output of the ipod. as mentioned earlier the dac itself in the ipods arent bad in the wolfsons they use, the issue is the poor analog output. if you use any other ipod dock eg apples very own or all manner of other OEM units around, all you will get is the very crook analog output.

ps also check compatibility of the id50 with whatever ipod you have as it came out pre the current iphone etc. we just use it with my wifes nano and it does a great job for that. the rest we just stream through the apple tv these days

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #36 of 92 Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,939
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilson1 View Post

I have had an iD100 for a month or so and I am very pleased. I use it mainly to stream Pandora and Slacker from my iPhone to my stereo and it sounds surprisingly good given the low bit rates.

I use the AES/EBU balanced connection into my Musical Fidelity M1 Dac.

Very good for the price and nice compact design.

great to hear its working a treat thats some good feedback on both the id100 and the mf m1 dac as well.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #37 of 92 Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

because both the cambridge ID50 and arcam rdock actually take the analog output of the ipod and condition it for decent output level and impedance, essentially sorting out the analog output of the ipod. as mentioned earlier the dac itself in the ipods arent bad in the wolfsons they use, the issue is the poor analog output. if you use any other ipod dock eg apples very own or all manner of other OEM units around, all you will get is the very crook analog output.

ps also check compatibility of the id50 with whatever ipod you have as it came out pre the current iphone etc. we just use it with my wifes nano and it does a great job for that. the rest we just stream through the apple tv these days

Okay, this is really helpful! Thank you!

I was originally thinking about getting the Pro-Ject Dock Box Fi (http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod...source&lang=en), so now it seems like it is a choice between that or the id50.

Choices, Choices, Choices...
theshiv is offline  
post #38 of 92 Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 9,888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
That ProjecDock looks promising, but got a bad review on Amazon, I normally take those with a grain of salt, but that's the only review posted so far.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #39 of 92 Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

That ProjecDock looks promising, but got a bad review on Amazon, I normally take those with a grain of salt, but that's the only review posted so far.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think the one on Amazon was an earlier version. The Dock Box "Fi" definitely seems to be a noted difference.

There's a review here: http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.p...d-dock-review/

I emailed them about US compatibility, but I never got a response. If they're built/compatible for 120v, then I would grab the "Fi" and the CD player.
theshiv is offline  
post #40 of 92 Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a response!

"Dear Michael
I am sorry that you got no answer from our distributor in Us
Both units come in an US version with 110 v and are perfect for home use

Our distributor for orders in US is SUMIKO

Best regards
Heinz Lichtenegger Audiotuning Project Audio General Manager +436642401661"
theshiv is offline  
post #41 of 92 Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
 
nismo604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I bought one of these for $45, it bypasses my iPhone4's DAC, allows a connection to my AVR via HDMI. The one thing I don't like is it not compatible with my apple universal dock which means no remote control, but the increase in sound quality makes up for this short coming.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A
nismo604 is offline  
post #42 of 92 Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Member
 
wcmlutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about the Pure I-20 for $99? It has digital and analog outputs.

http://www.pure.com/us/products/prod...1429&Category=
wcmlutz is offline  
post #43 of 92 Old 04-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Cambridge Audio digital dock and i have no complaints. Its built like a tank and has allowed my ipod, iphone to become a server.
riverst is offline  
post #44 of 92 Old 05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Cambridge Audio id100. It is solid. Couple of things:

1) Connected to my Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro and connected it to the aux 1 port using coax. I also connected the video output using the component cables. For some reason I do not see anything on my TV. My Onkyo monitor out is HDMI. Do you think that is the reason not getting on my TV? Do I have to connect directly to the TV?

2) Remote doesn't seem to work. Is there something I have to do?

Has anyone had these problems?

Thanks,
matnick2127 is offline  
post #45 of 92 Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the id100 connected to the component input on my Denon receiver. You might have to go in the menu of your receiver and align your input settings to match the input you selected. The video Option is great for YouTube. Don't expect HD quality from the component connection. The dock strengths are the audio capabilities to draw the raw digital files from the iPod and send it to an external DAC/AVR.
Oh one last thing...the id100 does not work with the iPad 2.
riverst is offline  
post #46 of 92 Old 05-10-2011, 06:06 AM
 
focal whore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cambridge, peachtree, and a few others... Not as many as you'd think...
And yes, there are differences in dacs...
focal whore is offline  
post #47 of 92 Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 AM
 
focal whore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I've got the Emotiva XDA-1 DAC and an Ipod. I want to send digital to the XDA. Is the Cambridge Audio or Wadia product my only option? The XDA has optical, Coax and USB inputs.

Appletv is the only way... I have never seen a Dac w/ dig out...
focal whore is offline  
post #48 of 92 Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Member
 
arsene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post

Hmmm...maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I'm looking for something that bypasses the iPod DAC, such as the Cambridge or the Wadia. The Wadia has analog outputs, and the Cambridge does not.

Since I need something with analog output, the Wadia makes sense. However, most people in this thread seem to be recommending the Cambridge, which was why I asked about a digital --> analog convertor.

When all is said and done, I guess the Wadia is the way to go for my needs.

If you want something to bypass iPod DAC, then the device you are looking for can only have digital out for connection to an external DAC. If there is analogue out, you are using iPod DAC and not bypass it.
arsene is offline  
post #49 of 92 Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I am not playing a video on the ipod, should I expect not to see anthing? How about the playlist of songs?
Any comment about the remote?
matnick2127 is offline  
post #50 of 92 Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Ster3ohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

What about the Pure I-20 for $99? It has digital and analog outputs.

http://www.pure.com/us/products/prod...1429&Category=

I have this and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm using the built-in dac of the Pure I-20 at the moment and it sounds a lot better than my ipod touch 4g by itself. In direct comparison, the ipod touch sounds quieter and flatter (not in the good way) without the dock. The remote is great. Super convenient.

Looking forward to using it with an external dac in the future.
Ster3ohead is offline  
post #51 of 92 Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Member
 
netudki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post


I have this and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm using the built-in dac of the Pure I-20 at the moment and it sounds a lot better than my ipod touch 4g by itself. In direct comparison, the ipod touch sounds quieter and flatter (not in the good way) without the dock. The remote is great. Super convenient.

Looking forward to using it with an external dac in the future.

Which Ipod models are supported?
netudki is offline  
post #52 of 92 Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Member
 
shendley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, after having read the thread, I'm going back and forth between the Cambridge which Amazon currently has for $299 and the Pure I-20 for $99. Someone posted that the I-20 cannot bypass the Ipod's DAC because it has an analogue ouput. But the description on the website appears to suggest otherwise. So I'm not sure what to think about this. And I'm also curious as to whether either or both of these let you view the Ipod's screen on the TV in addition to video so as to easily navigate menus with the remote. Any thoughts from those who have been using these?
shendley is offline  
post #53 of 92 Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Member
 
Ster3ohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
shendley,
The analogue output is used if you want to take advantage of the DAC (Cirrus 4353) built into the pure i-20 . There is a digital optical and coaxial connection in the back to connect to an external DAC. There are video out connections as well but I've never used them.

As for the remote, it's really convenient. My only complaint is it's not easy scrolling through a large library because it only goes up and down one by one.

netudki,
Reading online it seems to be an apple approved product now... so it should support quite a bit. I'm able to use my Ipod touch 4g, Iphone 3gs, nano 3g, and Ipad2 without issues.


Honestly, this product is crazy good for the money. For $99 it bypasses the ipod's internal DAC, has a decent built-in dac, and a remote control. I wasn't sure about the design but I ended up really enjoying the way it looks and its functionality. I like how it lifts my ipods from the surface, making it easier to control, and allows me to keep their skins on and still get a connection. I do wish it didn't say "PURE" in bold letters in the front, but considering all it does, I can live with that .
Ster3ohead is offline  
post #54 of 92 Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Member
 
shendley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a bit more fishing around for info on the i-20 and I heard a lot of good things about it, both in terms of their analogue and digital outputs. Would you say playing a lossless file is as good as a cd with it? If so, I can't see much of a reason to pay $200 more for the Cambridge, unless it came with some ultra cool ways to navigate ipod menus or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post
shendley,
The analogue output is used if you want to take advantage of the DAC (Cirrus 4353) built into the pure i-20 . There is a digital optical and coaxial connection in the back to connect to an external DAC. There are video out connections as well but I've never used them.

As for the remote, it's really convenient. My only complaint is it's not easy scrolling through a large library because it only goes up and down one by one.

netudki,
Reading online it seems to be an apple approved product now... so it should support quite a bit. I'm able to use my Ipod touch 4g, Iphone 3gs, nano 3g, and Ipad2 without issues.


Honestly, this product is crazy good for the money. For $99 it bypasses the ipod's internal DAC, has a decent built-in dac, and a remote control. I wasn't sure about the design but I ended up really enjoying the way it looks and its functionality. I like how it lifts my ipods from the surface, making it easier to control, and allows me to keep their skins on and still get a connection. I do wish it didn't say "PURE" in bold letters in the front, but considering all it does, I can live with that .
shendley is offline  
post #55 of 92 Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Member
 
Ster3ohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If the cd player and the i-20 are connected to the same DAC, both playing lossless files, they *should* sound the same. Audio has a funny way of defying logic sometimes so your results may vary. I don't have any personal experience with this kind of setup since I don't own an external DAC yet so I can't comment much further.

I can tell you that IMO i-20's dac sounds better than the ipod's dac, but my cambridge audio d500se cd player sounds better than my i-20.
Ster3ohead is offline  
post #56 of 92 Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Member
 
shendley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is curious. Are you using the analogue output from the i-20? Because I would think that you're right that if you're not using the i-20's dac, but simply passing the digital signal straight through to the receiver, there shouldn't be any difference in the sound.

But, I guess the real question is: does the i-20 perform as well as other ipod docks which bypass the ipod's dac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

If the cd player and the i-20 are connected to the same DAC, both playing lossless files, they *should* sound the same. Audio has a funny way of defying logic sometimes so your results may vary. I don't have any personal experience with this kind of setup since I don't own an external DAC yet so I can't comment much further.

I can tell you that IMO i-20's dac sounds better than the ipod's dac, but my cambridge audio d500se cd player sounds better than my i-20.

shendley is offline  
post #57 of 92 Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay TEAM,
I have a question that has been driving me nuts.....

I have the iD100 dock connected to my Denon 3310 AVR with optical Toslink cables. Can i add a DAC between the Dock and the AVR to get a better sound. Ive been reading up on DAC's and how they improve the sound, etc...
Or do the DAC in the AVR will have the final say and the external DAC would become obsolete.

So here is my layout: Ipod classic(apple lossless files)->id100 dock->DAC->Denon AVR-> Speakers.
Can this work?
If so, which DAC and what cables, etc...

Oh how do i hook up Apple TV 2 to the DAC.

Thanks

RiVerSt
riverst is offline  
post #58 of 92 Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 22,626
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 14536
Sure, you can connect a DAC between the dock and the AVR. The analog output of the DAC connects to analog inputs on the AVR. Whether or not it will make a difference is hard to say. Some of it depends on whether or not the AVR will convert the analog input to digital for some sort of processing.

larry

Cover my entire bodice with Avon Cologna!
PooperScooper is offline  
post #59 of 92 Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's exactly what I was afraid of. The AVR Having the final say on the signal and using the built in receiver DAC, then the external DAC would be a waste. I'm guessing the only way to find out is to try it out and compare the difference. If there is no change, then I might have to build a stand alone 2 channel system or sell the DAC. I just hate to be the ginny pig and shell out money on wishful thinking.

Ohh....what if I put the receiver on Pure Mode. Would that bypass the AVR internal processing?

rIvErSt
riverst is offline  
post #60 of 92 Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 22,626
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 14536
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post


Ohh....what if I put the receiver on Pure Mode. Would that bypass the AVR internal processing?

rIvErSt

Hard to say. Depends on what Pure Mode really means/does on your receiver. Check the manual and/or check in the receivers forum here. You just want the receiver to act like a line level preamp when using an external DAC.

larry

Cover my entire bodice with Avon Cologna!
PooperScooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off