Audiophile CD Player? Which One? - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 92Likes

post #841 of 943 Old 10-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnrEh56f_g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 943 Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Esoteric, Sony ES SCD-1 and Unison Research are faves among the famous
post #843 of 943 Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Popped for an Oppo 105 today. Balanced XLR to a Halo P5 preamp, output to an OTL amp driving Klipsch Forte's or Zu Druids in the mail. Looking to doing a proper set-up and then enjoying some good 'ole 2 channel soundstage.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 943 Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
That sounds tasty!
post #845 of 943 Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap View Post
Popped for an Oppo 105 today. Balanced XLR to a Halo P5 preamp, output to an OTL amp driving Klipsch Forte's or Zu Druids in the mail. Looking to doing a proper set-up and then enjoying some good 'ole 2 channel soundstage.......
I don't hear a difference between balanced and single-ended with my 105 and JC-2 BP. Parasound pads the XLR input so the level remains constant with switching, and that makes it easy to compare the two while a disc is being played. I can't tell when switching occurs. Oppo claims there is no difference (except for the 6 dB) and that seems to be true.

db
post #846 of 943 Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should have noted that the lack of difference is important to me, because the JC-2 BP has only two XLR inputs, and an Ayre C-5xeMP and JC-3 phono stage use those-- Ayre does recommend an XLR connection.

db
post #847 of 943 Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I don't hear a difference between balanced and single-ended with my 105 and JC-2 BP. Parasound pads the XLR input so the level remains constant with switching, and that makes it easy to compare the two while a disc is being played. I can't tell when switching occurs. Oppo claims there is no difference (except for the 6 dB) and that seems to be true.

db
That's good that you don't hear a difference. From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be one. The XLR ins/outs should only be needed if/when you have a really long cable run, such as in studio environments. Most cable runs in homes are relatively short.

Semi-retired Technology Insider.
Insist on Quality Posting.
post #848 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
According to the folks who I purchased it from,using XLR takes out the Halo DAC so only the OPPO DAC is used during playback for audio.
post #849 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
You will enjoy your setup. I have something similar. I have the Oppo 105 and a Parasound A-21. But, I am now going to sell the Oppo and replace it with a Arcam CDS-27 (Their newly released CD player). I have decided to go more two channel and using the Oppo for cd play back when it can do so much more ( I am using a fraction of its capabilities) is kinda waste even though it performs and sounds wonderful. Heck, with my hearing everything sound good . :-) Another thing driving my decision is that I have no immediate need or desire to convert my CD collect to music files on my PC so dedicated CD player works for me. I will add a external DAC when I cross that bridge and use the CD player as the transport. Anyway, love Parasound products.
post #850 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
According to the folks who I purchased it from,using XLR takes out the Halo DAC so only the OPPO DAC is used during playback for audio.
That seems incorrect to me, but my experience is entirely with Parasound's analog devices, the JC-2 BP and JC-3. I'd contact Richard Schram at Parasound. He's very helpful. If you're connecting an Oppo 105 to the Halo, it's unlikely to matter whether you use XLR or not.

db
post #851 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
That's good that you don't hear a difference. From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be one. The XLR ins/outs should only be needed if/when you have a really long cable run, such as in studio environments. Most cable runs in homes are relatively short.
That comports with what has been my understanding, but Ayre recommends using a balanced connection so that's what I use with the C-5xeMP. My understanding is that there are different implementations of balanced, so it's not a simple either or decision.

db
post #852 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1711
Quote:
That comports with what has been my understanding, but Ayre recommends using a balanced connection so that's what I use with the C-5xeMP. My understanding is that there are different implementations of balanced, so it's not a simple either or decision.
Unbalanced connections have a positive and a ground wire for carrying the current. Balanced connections have positive, negative and ground. The advantage of a balanced connection is that it rejects interference and ground loops better making it a better choice than unbalanced for reasonably long distances. For the short distances involved in home audio installations, it doesn't normally make any difference whether connections are balanced or unbalanced.

One of the characteristics of balanced connections is that they produce a 6 db higher level at the output so, all other things being equal, the balanced connection will play louder.

One of the "implementations" as you put it, is that many home audio components have balanced connectors but unbalanced circuitry inside. I have no idea how Ayre does it. But that implementation defeats the benefits of balanced audio connections. That may be but probably is not an issue for home audio.
post #853 of 943 Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
One of the "implementations" as you put it, is that many home audio components have balanced connectors but unbalanced circuitry inside. I have no idea how Ayre does it. But that implementation defeats the benefits of balanced audio connections. That may be but probably is not an issue for home audio.
The Ayre and Parasound units are said to be balanced from stem to stern. As with most things, details of implementation probably vary.

db
post #854 of 943 Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
The Ayre and Parasound units are said to be balanced from stem to stern. As with most things, details of implementation probably vary.

db
Said to be? Whassat mean? Hopefully maybe?
post #855 of 943 Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Said to be? Whassat mean? Hopefully maybe?
That means I haven't verified the claim, much as all CD/SACD players are said to sound alike, except I have more confidence in those who say their units are completely balanced.

db
post #856 of 943 Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
That means I haven't verified the claim, much as all CD/SACD players are said to sound alike, except I have more confidence in those who say their units are completely balanced.

db
This information isn't available in the owner's manual or from the brand themselves?
post #857 of 943 Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Said to be? Whassat mean?
It was an example of blather.
post #858 of 943 Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And the bullies show up again. Have you nothing better to do but make yourselves seem like adolescent jerks?

db
David Susilo and jdjaye like this.
post #859 of 943 Old 11-22-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
And the bullies show up again. Have you nothing better to do but make yourselves seem like adolescent jerks?

db
so folks who post up stuff you don't like to hear are bullies? me thinks some openmindedness and thicker skins on your part is in order.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #860 of 943 Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you connect a player to a preamplifier with a digital connection, the premp's DAC will do the conversion. If you connect it with an analog connection the player's DAC will get the job done. It isn't any more complicated than that.

Last edited by FMW; 11-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #861 of 943 Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
so folks who post up stuff you don't like to hear are bullies? me thinks some openmindedness and thicker skins on your part is in order.
You missed the point. I objected to pouncing on a turn of phrase as further evidence of bullying. I might understand the complaining about the use of passive voice if they were grammarians or members of the MLA, but, no, it was just willful misinterpretation.

Contrast this thread with the Oppo 105 owners' or Anthem tweakers' threads where you'll find helpful information rather than snarky comments.

db
jdjaye and audio4life like this.
post #862 of 943 Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
You missed the point. I objected to pouncing on a turn of phrase as further evidence of bullying. I might understand the complaining about the use of passive voice if they were grammarians or members of the MLA, but, no, it was just willful misinterpretation.

Contrast this thread with the Oppo 105 owners' or Anthem tweakers' threads where you'll find helpful information rather than snarky comments.

db
So the comments you don't like are called snarky?
There are other forums that are contrast to this one and I'll bet that you will like them better.

Last edited by spkr; 11-22-2014 at 12:37 PM.
post #863 of 943 Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been reading this tread for a while just to get others point of views on CD players. So I wanted to ask if anybody here had any experience with the Vincent CD-S 1.2. It has a tube stage after the solid stage DAC’s. Just looking for info since I could not find any reviews of any sort on line.

Last edited by riv359; 12-25-2014 at 09:25 PM.
post #864 of 943 Old 01-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKrayma View Post
My source right now sucks. I'm using a half-working PS1 "audiophile" system whose motherboard won't read discs made past 1997. Well aware of the "garbage in; garbage out" principle, I'm looking to get my hands on a killer CD/DVD player (I need DVD playback for my 5.1 audio DVDs). I've heard good things about the old Denon 2900 but I've wondered if its superior, the 2910 (or 2910B) is better. I've also heard that the Sony DVP-S9000ES is even better. I've seen great princes on all of these on Amazon and eBay but before I take a leap of faith I'd like to ask my fellow AVS audiomonks for advice. My budget is around $200.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K
Speakers: Andrew Jones Pioneer series (except for the surrounds which are coming soon)
Latest gen Samsung or Sony Dvd- whatever brand is the tv hooked up to it. Though more expensive, Oppo or Marantz would be a significant audio improvement.

But if you have and extra $500, get a Marantz 5008 AVR and it will give you awesome sound.
post #865 of 943 Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Before you spend more money on a CD player get better speakers. ...One's that don't distort.
FMW likes this.
post #866 of 943 Old 01-24-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
Latest gen Samsung or Sony Dvd- whatever brand is the tv hooked up to it. Though more expensive, Oppo or Marantz would be a significant audio improvement.

But if you have and extra $500, get a Marantz 5008 AVR and it will give you awesome sound.
Why would you need the same brand player as your tv? Some apparently hear differences with more expensive players by not using digital connections and using the dacs in the outboard unit but personally am not convinced that makes any difference, at least I haven't in all the units I've used over the years (but admittedly haven't had one with the capabilities for multi-ch analog output like the Oppo but since I've got a capable avr can't imagine its worth it personally).

Why would a Marantz 5008 give particularly "awesome" sound over his Pioneer?
post #867 of 943 Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 PM

Get the same DVD brand as the TV so the remotes will work both - just a convenience factor.

I'm partial to the Marantz AVR warm sound- and how their Internal DACs sound- I think they sound better than the pioneers - but it is easy to figure out your own preference by going to best buy magnolia and listening for yourself their.

The AJ pioneer speakers are great sound for the buck - I own a pair. The question is if you are looking to optimize a 2 channel audio payback systems, or a multichannel AudioVideo system. With the object in mind, spend your $ in a way that aligns with the objective.

I'm a 2 channel guy- tv and dvd is nice, but the music is essential to me- so my recommendations are biased towards 2 channel musical optimization.

On my system, I think the Marantz AVR DAC sounds better than the
Sony DVD DAC .

Fyi- my last Sony receiver died after only 2 years, so I can't recommend Sony Audio gear anymore.

nB- These are my own views based on my experiences spending my own money.
post #868 of 943 Old 01-25-2015, 07:47 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
Get the same DVD brand as the TV so the remotes will work both - just a convenience factor.

I'm partial to the Marantz AVR warm sound- and how their Internal DACs sound- I think they sound better than the pioneers - but it is easy to figure out your own preference by going to best buy magnolia and listening for yourself their.

The AJ pioneer speakers are great sound for the buck - I own a pair. The question is if you are looking to optimize a 2 channel audio payback systems, or a multichannel AudioVideo system. With the object in mind, spend your $ in a way that aligns with the objective.

I'm a 2 channel guy- tv and dvd is nice, but the music is essential to me- so my recommendations are biased towards 2 channel musical optimization.

On my system, I think the Marantz AVR DAC sounds better than the
Sony DVD DAC .

Fyi- my last Sony receiver died after only 2 years, so I can't recommend Sony Audio gear anymore.

nB- These are my own views based on my experiences spending my own money.

Just so we are clear for the beginners, the audible differences you are reporting are due to differences in the effects of the room calibration software or are caused by hearing bias. None of it originates from amplifier circuitry or a DAC.
post #869 of 943 Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Just so we are clear for the beginners, the audible differences you are reporting are due to differences in the effects of the room calibration software or are caused by hearing bias. None of it originates from amplifier circuitry or a DAC.
Respectfully, I do not agree. But I won't try to change your opinion.

For the sake of any beginners:
I agree that different rooms have Individuals have individual tastes for different sound qualities, and different rooms sound differently. Which makes it frustrating to recreate the same sound at a different location. However, If near-reproduction of the original source material is the objective, then DAC technology does make a difference. DAC technology, which is a combination of hardware and software, has made significant strides in the last 5-10 years.

I'd expect that multichannel calibration tech has evolved similarly, but I don't really gave any experience in the area, so that would just be and educated guest.

For the beginners- if you can, try things before you buy them.
It's your time and money, so get what works best for you.

For the more experienced- if you disagree substantively with anything I have said, then please start a new thread. The purpose here is to help a beginner who asked a legitimate question, rather that confuse them with audio arcana, of which there is a surfeit.

2 Channel audio only:
ZUs Soul Superflys; Marantz PM15S2. Marantz SA8005; Rega RP3; Sonos Connect
ps - try before you buy, and always make sure you have a return option!
post #870 of 943 Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

db
I did the same thing yesterday (compared balanced and unbalanced, Oppo 105 to my new JC2) and heard no difference, not even in volume. I wasn't aware the JC2 pads the XLR. I had never used balanced cables before, but now (with my new Parasound equipment) have Monoprice balanced cables going 105 to JC2, and JC2 to A21.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd D5100 Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page