Need advice: Yamaha CDS-2100 Black or Silver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mepstein10
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mepstein10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Need advice: Yamaha CDS-2100 Black or Silver

Hello, thanks for looking. I'm trying to decide on which Yamaha CDS-2100 to get, specifically the color. The unit comes in black and silver, and wanted to get some feedback on how the colors deal with oils/fingerprints, etc.

I tend to prefer to get black audio gear, but I've seen a few units with oil/fingerprint transfer, and it looks pretty unappealing. The amp I will be using with it (rogue Cronus Magum II) is black.

If any owners here can give me some advice and their impressions after owning the unit for a while, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am set on getting the Yamaha, I managed to snag a brand new unit through a friend who is an authorized dealer for a crazy good deal.

I have attached images of the two colors including the one with oil transfer/finger prints.

Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I do not know how old the unit with the oil transfer is, so it could be a unit that was not well taken care of or cleaned, hoping owners who own the Yamaha can shed some light on how easily oil/smudges/fingerprints transfer onto the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha-CD-S2100-Big.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1025873   Click image for larger version

Name:	8920b54b_IMG_3831.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1025881   Click image for larger version

Name:	de08aedc_IMG_3830.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1025889   Click image for larger version

Name:	a140701cds2100_4.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	1025897   Click image for larger version

Name:	as2100cds2100spicuagbtkl_f.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1025905  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CDS2100S01.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1025913   Click image for larger version

Name:	15316466439_5839960dfe_o.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1025921   Click image for larger version

Name:	15480229906_d05d9cc3a8_o.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1025929  

Bose: "Buy Other Stereo Equiptment"

Last edited by mepstein10; 10-28-2015 at 11:33 PM.
mepstein10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayDunzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 View Post

...I tend to prefer to get black audio gear

...but I've seen a few units with oil/fingerprint transfer, and it looks pretty unappealing.
Get black.

Wipe your finger first.
Use your knuckle instead of your fingertip.
Wear cotton gloves at all times.
Use the remote.
Put plastic wrap over the faceplate.
Don't look at it.
Don't worry about it.

I'll be back later...


System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
RayDunzl is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mepstein10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Get black.

Wipe your finger first.
Use your knuckle instead of your fingertip.
Wear cotton gloves at all times.
Use the remote.
Put plastic wrap over the faceplate.
Don't look at it.
Don't worry about it.
Oils are naturally occurring in your skin, not something that can be wiped off.
.....No.
Only if I wear a tux and play piano.
Possible, but not always convenient.
It is not a sandwich.
Too enamored, can't break the gaze.
Just trying to make an informed decision.
Got Hi-Fi? likes this.

Bose: "Buy Other Stereo Equiptment"
mepstein10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 10-31-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,481
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Since your amp is black I'd match it. Get black.
crn3371 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Get the Yamaha in silver. Then sell the Rogue and buy a new one in silver so the two components match. Problem easily solved.

PS: Sorry, I just could not resist...

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
Alex F. is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
mgoldsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Get the Yamaha in silver. Then sell the Rogue and buy a new one in silver so the two components match. Problem easily solved.

PS: Sorry, I just could not resist...
If it helps, I've had experience with all 4 variants of the yammy AS/CDS series and find that as sexy as the black gloss sides look .. they are like every other gloss black product out there... FINGER PRINTS & DUST!

While it's worse on a full sized speaker, and on these yammy products it's only the side panels, they'll still stand out.

If you are happy to keep a lint free cloth nearby, then go for it..

As for the fascia, both silver and black look terrific. i'd even say that silver looks more elegant (especially with the matching amplifer).. but black never dates and it's easier to mix and match brands with that sort of neutrality.

Suffice to say I've bought a few AS series amps over the years, and stick with the black and dark brown sides.. and i'll be doing the same when i get my CDS2100 in a few weeks time.

OH, and one last thing. On my AS2000 i accidentally scratched one of the side panels, leaving a 1" gouge (imagine if it was done with a ball point pen). thankfully with the grain of the timber it's only slightly noticable, but i have seen a gloss black panel scratched similarly and it would have been a constant annoyance to see it each time i used it.

Ah, the joys of hi-fi

Matt.G

Matt Goldsmith
mgoldsmith is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 View Post
Hello, thanks for looking. I'm trying to decide on which Yamaha CDS-2100 to get, specifically the color. The unit comes in black and silver, and wanted to get some feedback on how the colors deal with oils/fingerprints, etc.

I tend to prefer to get black audio gear, but I've seen a few units with oil/fingerprint transfer, and it looks pretty unappealing. The amp I will be using with it (rogue Cronus Magum II) is black.

If any owners here can give me some advice and their impressions after owning the unit for a while, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am set on getting the Yamaha, I managed to snag a brand new unit through a friend who is an authorized dealer for a crazy good deal.

I have attached images of the two colors including the one with oil transfer/finger prints.

Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I do not know how old the unit with the oil transfer is, so it could be a unit that was not well taken care of or cleaned, hoping owners who own the Yamaha can shed some light on how easily oil/smudges/fingerprints transfer onto the unit.
Personally, I would get black. I always get darker coloured gear, I just think it looks better. Really it just comes down to personal preference, just because you cannot see dirt on another colour, does not mean it is not there. There are many ways to keep your hi-fi clean and in tip top shape.
Got Hi-Fi? is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mepstein10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ended up getting black. Sounds incredible. Compared to my buddies oppo 105D and it destroyed it.

Definitely worth it.
mepstein10 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,480
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 View Post
I ended up getting black. Sounds incredible. Compared to my buddies oppo 105D and it destroyed it.

Definitely worth it.
Darn, I didn't get a chance to tell you that the silver finish lifts veils better.
FMW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
audiophile , cds 2100 , cds-2100 , sacd player , Yamaha

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off