Marantz Announces HD-CD1 Premium Compact CD Player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 08-15-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the HD-AMP1 in my home office driving a set of GoldenEar AON 3 bookshelf speakers and a Paradigm Cinema Sub. I currently feed the internal Sabre ESS DAC via USB from a MacBook Air using Audirvana Plus hooked into Tidal for lossless FLAC. Sounds great in my 15'x11' (8 ft ceiling) home office. It is beautifully made (motorized volume knob!) and sounds wonderful. Still, I have just over 3000 CDs in the collection and it would be nice to have a player for easy access to those discs without having to rip everything first. I also feed an Apple TV into one of the optical inputs to provide audio for a small tv in my office. Obviously not a full blown home theater (I have a GoldenEar Triton 3 based system downstairs for that) but great sound for this secondary system which is primarily used for music. Disappointed in the lack of SACD support even though I have no SACD discs in my collection. It would have been nice to have that capability in case I ever started to add them to the collection. Other than that omission it is nice to see a CD Player that is designed and built to a higher mechanical/audio standard than most of the stuff out there that is destined for the landfill when it craps out on you...and yes I'm in my mid-fifties! Though I'm no stranger to streaming (subscriptions to Rhapsody(Napster)/Spotify/Tidal) I still haven't gone down the digitizing the collection/HD tracks rabbit hole just yet. Not enough hours in the day! The Oppo would of course be the right answer for the home theater but in my secondary system this player could have its charms.

Cheers,

Tim
imagic, tenthplanet and fatuglyguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
THO approves, but I don't think he's too keen on its price :stuck_out_tongue:
Nah...he a rack mount guy/ creature. Not that he ever pays for anything...

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #33 of 48 Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3231
For late listening, in Apartments and Condo's this unit with a pair of headphones has possibilities. A good headphone amp on it's own isn't cheap, it sounds like the internal one on this unit may be good. Small enough to fit where it's needed.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ironically, I'm now in the market for a new CD player, as my Denon DCD-1500II (purchased new in February 1988 for $624) just conked out on me last week!

I wouldn't purchase the HD-CD1 due to the lack of SACD support (I have about 20 hybrid SACDs). I've had my eye on the Marantz SA8005 for a while. Maybe one of these months...
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #35 of 48 Old 08-16-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I've seen another company do this but I wish Marantz would take the Oppo 103 or 105 and rebrand it with an upcharge. My Marantz 5 disc Universal DVD/DVD-audio/CD/SACD player is a rebranded Philips unit. I only found out as my Yamaha changer crapped out and I noticed that the menu system was the same on the Marantz. Both units had Philips guts.
post #36 of 48 Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
For late listening, in Apartments and Condo's this unit with a pair of headphones has possibilities. A good headphone amp on it's own isn't cheap, it sounds like the internal one on this unit may be good. Small enough to fit where it's needed.

I forgot to mention that I have a set of Oppo PM-3 headphones (and the HA-2 headphone amp also with the Sabre ESS DAC for portable use) and as you suggest, I find little lacking in the HD-AMP1 headphone amplifier by comparison. If they've used the same circuitry in this CD player, it will be a winner.
post #37 of 48 Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
Not only that, who still buys CDs anyway?
I do. And so do most others, CD's still have the largest market share...barely:

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...s-market-just/

Unless you are talking about stealing your music, I can buy a CD for less $ than I can download it. Then rip my own, usually in better quality than any download. It's also another backup file of my music.
post #38 of 48 Old 08-17-2016, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I'm surprised on avsforum to see comments like "why doesn't it have BT steaming" and "who still buys CDs"?

Really? So where do you buy music that isn't compressed then? Outside of Tidal, I don't know of any places. It's a shame that Apple has essentially destroyed sound quality buy pushing their crap bitrate music files on the masses. And for what reason exactly? A full CD is only about 700MB, less then a Netflix stream is bet. Flac / Apple Lossless should be an option. I don't get why consumers accept that sound quality is being lowered, while video quality is being increased.

Bluetooth? Bluetooth!!! yeah that's what I want to do, listen to MP3s over a Bluetooth connection. Why not just use an AM/FM transmitter while we're at it! Thankfully both my vehicles have built in HDD CD changers. Yeah, CDs do suck, but I just use them to rip to flac or copy to my vehicles HDD and then I'm done with them.

Like above poster said, for same price or less than buying MP3, I can get the real deal. If MP3 was 1/2 the price then maybe.. But it's actually more!
David Susilo and fatuglyguy like this.
post #39 of 48 Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post
I do. And so do most others, CD's still have the largest market share...barely:

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...s-market-just/

Unless you are talking about stealing your music, I can buy a CD for less $ than I can download it. Then rip my own, usually in better quality than any download. It's also another backup file of my music.
My comment was not to offend or criticize. It was an observation of where CDs have come and are currently going. Most people are not audiophiles. Most people don't want to buy a CD, rip on a comp and then upload on their device. They want their music uploaded in a digital device pronto without having the physical source. Personally, I have older CDs, FLAC and mp3 music and with a good DAC, I really don't hear a difference. Now, if you want to buy CDs, that's your prerogative.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
post #40 of 48 Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post

Really? So where do you buy music that isn't compressed then?
Here's one option - http://www.hdtracks.com/
post #41 of 48 Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
Amazing that they still make CD players - and for that matter, CDs. The CD holds some kind of record (no pun intended) for most long lived high-tech product.
The LP is still with us and I am quite certain it was viewed as "high tech" when it was first introduced.

Btw, Happy 34th Birthday to the Compact Disc!! August 17, 1982 was the date when ABBA's "The Visitors" became the first commercial CD pressed at the West Germany Polydor pressing plant.

Personally, I celebrate October 1, 1982 as the true birthday of the CD, when Japan's CBS/Sony unleashes the format onto the public.

Avatar - My guard dog, Bogi - RIP

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection

Last edited by ematcion; 08-17-2016 at 12:23 PM.
post #42 of 48 Old 08-17-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The Marantz isn't overly expensive if it's high quality and reliable CD player. As someone who has over 2,000 CDs and over 1,000 SACDs, I rather have separate machines for each format.

Avatar - My guard dog, Bogi - RIP

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #43 of 48 Old 08-18-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Here's one option - http://www.hdtracks.com/
Only $25 or more to download CD's I can get for $5 on Amazon. No thanks.
post #44 of 48 Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I also have a decent CD collection (not in the thousands yet though). I still buy them as well as SACDs on a regular basis. I am not in the market for the Marantz gear, but could easily see where I would buy the system for my bedroom. I do not have enough space for a full size stereo in my bedroom and this would actually be a perfect fit.

I do agree with the poster who said it would nice to see these offered in the silver color... and absolutely with SACD support.

ARC Ref 3, Parasound A21, Parasound T3, Marantz SA-15S2, SAE E102 eq, Joseph Audio Pulsar, Rythmik F12
post #45 of 48 Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
They do and each they less and less.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #46 of 48 Old 08-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm interested in this Marantz CD player, and as a guy in his late 60s I fit some sort of CD buyer demographic, I guess. I've a couple thousand CDs, 3/4 of which I've acquired this year after I discovered how cheaply major label classical mega-boxes were being offered. Coincidentally, this week I purchased my first pair of high-end headphones, a Sennheiser HD 700. While much of my listening is with my home theater system utilizing a Denon receiver, a Panasonic Blu-Ray player and Atlantic Technology speakers, I've realized when my wife is sleeping headphones would be a better alternative. Also, there are times when having an orchestra or quartet in my head is what I want when I play a CD. My older Koss and Sony phones are not comfortable after prolonged wear. The Sennheiser is reputed to be good for hours of listening.

While my Denon receiver may work well with the Sennheisers, a dedicated headphone amp may improve their sound. I've been considering a new CD player, DAC and amp to power the headphones. (I posed a question about the issue in the headphone thread earlier today.) The Marantz player obviates the need for the other separate components. It looks good (I like the black better, btw) and would fit on a side table next to my recliner with no cables except the power cord. All in all, it may be a solution for a problem I barely knew I had.

I never got around to purchasing SACDs, so while I'm surprised by the lack of SACD support in the player, I'm not affected by it. I think Marantz would have had a bigger market for the machine if that support had been included.
post #47 of 48 Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Still rocking my old Pioneer Elite CD player from the '90s. No desire to "upgrade" and yes I'm still buying CD's among other medias as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_174956_HDR (1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1637089  

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #48 of 48 Old 06-03-2018, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Funny but almost 2 years later I'm seriously considering this player. My Technics cd player from long ago is now unreliable. Would pair it to active speakers using the digital coax. Only interested in playing cds so all i need. Like the looks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
cd player , hd-cd1 , Marantz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page