In a surprise Friday evening announcement, Marantz has unveiled the HD-CD1 CD player. It's compact chassis is filled with "premium-class" technology borrowed from the company’s full-sized CD players. The new player is an accompaniment to the company's HD-DAC1 headphone amp and its HD-AMP1 integrated amp.
You gotta admit, the HD-CD1 and HD-AMP1 make a cute couple.
The HD-CD1 shares the compact form factor and aesthetics of the HD-AMP1 amp. As you'd expect at this price point, it can serve as a transport (with optical and coaxial output) or it can provide live-level high-quality analog audio. The CD player can handle MP3, WMA and AAC files, in addition to standard CDs. The HD-CD1 chassis is solid, with audiophile-preferred features like a solid-aluminium front panel, a double-layer chassis, and wood-grain side panels.
If you use the HD-CD1's analog outputs, the purported advantage this player possesses is its Marantz-designed HDAM Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules. The company explains "in place of the all-in-one ‘chip amplifiers’ used elsewhere, these miniature amplifiers are built from separate, optimized components for the very best sound quality, and are found in Marantz products all the way up to the Reference series players and amplifiers... HDAM technology is also used in the headphone section, which has its own dedicated amplification."
Marantz says the CD transport mechanism is designed for ultra-accurate disc-reading. The built-in DAC is the premium Cirrus Logic CS4398 which is supported by low-noise circuitry. This DAC can feed the dedicated headphone amplification section, which has a volume control and featuring a HDAM-SA2 amplifier with adjustable gain setting(low, medium and high) that allows it to power demanding "audiophile" headphones.
The new player should become available to purchase for $600 in September.
Here's the highlights/benefits list from the Marantz press release:
- Award-winning Marantz CD drive technology
- High-quality playback from CD, CD R/RW
- Support of MP3, AAC, WMA file playback
- Plays most popular digital media files
- Intensively sound tuned with carefully selected components
- Unique Marantz audio experience
- High quality 192kHz/24bit D/A conversion (CS4398) and accurate system clock
- Best sound quality from CD and digital media files
- Marantz proprietary HDAM-SA2 circuits
- Wider dynamic range with lower distortion for the output stage
- Full discrete headphone amplifier with HDAM-SA2 and gain control
- High-quality sound even from demanding headphones
- Double layered bottom plate and rigid feet
- Gold Plated L/R/Coax Outputs
- System remote to control CD-player and matching HD-AMP1 amplifier
- Available in black