The Revolutionary New Marantz SA-10 Player - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 118Likes

post #151 of 179 Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
I must have missed how the levels are matched and to what level of matching. 1 db is not close enough.
I also missed how the X comes into the test protocol. 10 trials should have been the minimum.
Oh? 8 of 8 isn't good enough for you???

.01 db

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123310.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Oh? 8 of 8 isn't good enough for you???

.01 db

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123310.0
Thanks for the link for further explanation. So it auto matches to 0.1 dB.
As to the X, well, it is not there. You cannot compare the unknown X to A or B.

If you want to make a quickie and easy blind test of two power amplifiers, for example. Attach them both to the ABX box, use the ABX box level adjustments to match signal levels from each, then simply hit the botton that turns off all the indicator lamps on the ABX box. Switch back and forth rapidly between the two amps under test a few times on the same program material and you will soon loose track of which amp is which. Then do more careful listening and when you are certain of which amp you are listening to, turn the indicator lamps back on and see if you are right. Repeat process several times. Can you really pick out what you are hearing? Once you loose the ability to hear with your eyes, all bets are off.

And yes, 8 of 8 is not good enough. 9 of 10, 12 of 15, 16 of 20 and so on. That has been debated in AES Journals as well.

Oh, the answer needs to stay hidden to the end.
And you need an X to be compared to A or B before selecting, selection placed in memory and revealed at the end.
post #153 of 179 Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Can we get back to the Marantz SA-10 player itself please?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
All there is to talk about in audio aspects have been talked about already.
It is time to get back to the purpose of e thread, which is the discussion of the Marantz SA-10 Player. Everything else needs to be taken to the appropriate thread or PM. If everything has been said about the player, then there is no need to post in this thread. For those seeking info on this player shouldn't have to wade through the other discussions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 179 Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Has anyone seen and listened to this player ?
Which dealer/retailer?
I heard one at the NY Audio Show this past November in the Value Electronics/Marantz/Def Tech room. Hotel rooms are not ideal environments, and in a different room with different equipment the sound would be different. But with what I heard, I'd have bought one if it weren't for the deal I got on a NOS McIntosh MCD500 from Audio Classics, plus the fact I could trade in my existing player (also McIntosh, an MCD301) for credit toward the purchase. I'd have gotten a very good price on the SA10, and it's still my player of choice if I ever move on from the 500 and assuming I have the funds. I like the sound of Marantz gear; in fact, for six years Marantz's DV8400 was my CD player.
JA Fant and New24K like this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #155 of 179 Old 03-06-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I heard one at the NY Audio Show this past November in the Value Electronics/Marantz/Def Tech room. Hotel rooms are not ideal environments, and in a different room with different equipment the sound would be different. But with what I heard, I'd have bought one if it weren't for the deal I got on a NOS McIntosh MCD500 from Audio Classics, plus the fact I could trade in my existing player (also McIntosh, an MCD301) for credit toward the purchase. I'd have gotten a very good price on the SA10, and it's still my player of choice if I ever move on from the 500 and assuming I have the funds. I like the sound of Marantz gear; in fact, for six years Marantz's DV8400 was my CD player.
Thank You- prepress

the DV series was very good for Marantz. No doubt that those players laid the foundation for the SA series, Reference Series, of players.
I just wish I could find one for audition?
post #156 of 179 Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
It is time to get back to the purpose of e thread, which is the discussion of the Marantz SA-10 Player. Everything else needs to be taken to the appropriate thread or PM. If everything has been said about the player, then there is no need to post in this thread. For those seeking info on this player shouldn't have to wade through the other discussions.
This player is still considered as new, therefore, everything has not been said. Carry on with the discussion.
post #157 of 179 Old 03-08-2018, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I really enjoy my SA-10. I find myself using it as a DAC more than a disc spinner.

MacBook Pro USB into SA-10
Sonos Connect optical into SA-10
Marantz NA-11S1 digital coax into SA-10 (previously XLR to amps)
SA-10 XLR to a pair of Marantz PM-10 amps set to Bi-Amp mode

Also going into my PM10s is the TT-15S1 turntable and a Classe CT-10 tuner with XLR.

These days I’m mostly listening to Tidal on the MacBook through the SA-10. The PM-10s are powering a pair of stand mounted B&W 805 D3s in my office.

While I don’t spend as much time as I’d like in that room, when I do I’m more than happy to have the SA-10 as my “hub” for nearly everything.
JA Fant likes this.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s
post #158 of 179 Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I really enjoy my SA-10. I find myself using it as a DAC more than a disc spinner.

MacBook Pro USB into SA-10
Sonos Connect optical into SA-10
Marantz NA-11S1 digital coax into SA-10 (previously XLR to amps)
SA-10 XLR to a pair of Marantz PM-10 amps set to Bi-Amp mode

Also going into my PM10s is the TT-15S1 turntable and a Classe CT-10 tuner with XLR.

These days I’m mostly listening to Tidal on the MacBook through the SA-10. The PM-10s are powering a pair of stand mounted B&W 805 D3s in my office.

While I don’t spend as much time as I’d like in that room, when I do I’m more than happy to have the SA-10 as my “hub” for nearly everything.
You are one of the few whom own the SA-10 - RaceCarDriver

where did you purchase ? Dealer/retailer?
post #159 of 179 Old 05-03-2018, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Please don't confuse technical critique with pooh-pooh-ing someone's report/review. Do you notice the critiques posted weren't directed at OP's enjoyment at his listening room?

Subjectivity on AVS forum where S stands for science..., how well do you think that will be received?
To LFER and others replying to commsyman- I have never heard such a jumped bunch of totally tec opinionated dolts.
Unless you are trying to do something as silly as instant switch over- level matching is NOT THE OVERRIDING REQUIREMENT
that renders all other criteria redundant (the word Fixation comes to mind- Yep level matching thats wot dun it no doubt at all)
People have been testing equipment at home since forever, according to you every opinion ever noted in the entire world is
irrelevant if it does not fit your criteria. If you can not set your own system in your own home on your own test music to a familiar
level you should not be fiddling with HI-FI at all.
JA Fant likes this.
post #160 of 179 Old 05-03-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post
Just because some of what someone says is right, it does not make everything they say right. And sometimes people who believe drivel know a thing or two. For example, I have encountered someone who not only believes he can always hear differences between wires (both interconnects between electronics and speaker wire), but can hear differences when the ONLY difference is in the insulation on the wire and not the wire itself; and not only that, but claimed to hear a difference when the ONLY difference in the insulation was not the basic material, but the pigment that caused the color of the insulation to be different. He appeared quite sincere and insisted that he could do this. (Of course, he never submitted to properly conducted testing, as believers in foolish drivel virtually never do. If they were interested in proper testing, they would not believe such nonsense for long.) Now, that is all quite insane. But, if someone were to ask a question that would be potentially dangerous and damaging to equipment, he could be counted on to give the right answer to that. So he was not wrong about everything, and actually knew some useful information (while still holding crazy beliefs, as he did not understand the need for testing or have a good grasp on the essential aspects of scientific reasoning).

So, to summarize, to be correct about one thing does not guarantee being correct about other things, and being wrong about some things does not guarantee being wrong about other things.

As for the people at that other website, they provide a lot of good and useful information. But that does not make them infallible and never wrong.

All of this should be perfectly obvious to everyone, but given how people like to appeal to authority, rather than look at actual evidence, it would appear that some people do not know this.
If you didnt realise he was responding to the fact metallic dyes cause different colours of insulation to sound different, this was noted as a cause in the 1980s but not widely discussed. The effects noted are an edgy grain in the treble or a softness of bloom in the bass, i think the colours Grey, Black and White were the least effected, make of it what you will but the dielectric seems to concern a lot of people nowdays.
JA Fant likes this.
post #161 of 179 Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tremain View Post
To LFER and others replying to commsyman- I have never heard such a jumped bunch of totally tec opinionated dolts.
Unless you are trying to do something as silly as instant switch over- level matching is NOT THE OVERRIDING REQUIREMENT
that renders all other criteria redundant (the word Fixation comes to mind- Yep level matching thats wot dun it no doubt at all)
People have been testing equipment at home since forever, according to you every opinion ever noted in the entire world is
irrelevant if it does not fit your criteria. If you can not set your own system in your own home on your own test music to a familiar
level you should not be fiddling with HI-FI at all.
Quote:
If you didnt realise he was responding to the fact metallic dyes cause different colours of insulation to sound different, this was noted as a cause in the 1980s but not widely discussed. The effects noted are an edgy grain in the treble or a softness of bloom in the bass, i think the colours Grey, Black and White were the least effected, make of it what you will but the dielectric seems to concern a lot of people nowdays.
Welcome to the forum, but I suspect you'll be in for a (deservedly) rough ride should you decide to post more along these lines.
JA Fant likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #162 of 179 Old 05-04-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
I too have experienced this color related harshness. I found pink causes too much hardness and mechanical scintillation in the blooming of the bass. Purple and blue were much better and the bass bloomed just right. Although I couldn't decide if it was better then the gray bloom. Gray sounded like a slightly longer and wider bloom, but it was lacking in the kinetic timing and didn't have the right blooming soundstage.

I ended up fixing all of these issues by spray painting my CDs, records, speakers and equipment a metallic gray. Took a lot of paint, but was totally worth it in the end!
WilliamZX11, Ovation and JA Fant like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4

Last edited by duckymomo; 05-10-2018 at 11:45 AM.
post #163 of 179 Old 05-04-2018, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
And, of course this can be demonstrated under controlled protocols? Evidence can be found where? Oh, yes, don'y bother with anecdotes.
JA Fant and Jack D Ripper like this.
post #164 of 179 Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Welcome to the forum, but I suspect you'll be in for a (deservedly) rough ride should you decide to post more along these lines.
Thanks, However can not tell if rough ride comment is Subjective or Technical?
JA Fant likes this.
post #165 of 179 Old 05-09-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, However can not tell if rough ride comment is Subjective or Technical?
Both Richard. Welcome!
post #166 of 179 Old 05-09-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else audition the SA-10?
post #167 of 179 Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Anyone else audition the SA-10?
I have one , and I have a sa14 . The sa10 is definently smoother sounding vs the the sa14 . But I may just sell the sa10 and keep the sa14 due to me not having a ton of music to really enjoy the sa10
JA Fant likes this.
post #168 of 179 Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
I have one , and I have a sa14 . The sa10 is definently smoother sounding vs the the sa14 . But I may just sell the sa10 and keep the sa14 due to me not having a ton of music to really enjoy the sa10
Much Thanks! Ernesto
post #169 of 179 Old 06-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I love Marantz SA-10!

Quote:
Much Thanks! Ernesto
Now I am the happy owner of Ernesto's SA-10 player, and I've done some extensive listening. The quality of a sound and esthetics of the player are from the higher shelf. Is it reference CD/SACD player? I don’t know; it depends from who will set the requirements for its superiority.
Marantz designed SA-10 so it needs to be used with Marantz integrated amplifier or some other preamp/ amp that has volume control. On the remote there is no volume control associated with the player but with the amp. It might be some kind of limitation for people who do not like preamps.
I’ve tried SA-10 with my Doge-8 tube preamp and my DIY tube preamp that is better from Doge-8 connected to Bryston 4SST2 amp, and Tannoy Revolution XT6 speakers. The sound is first class but I would like to try setup without preamp and some better speakers that SA-10 deserves.
I also connected SA-10 to my Onkyo TX-RZ800 receiver (that is awesome) and the sound was different, more digital, with very good transparency and resolution, but a little harsh like this from OPPO 205.
Compering Marantz SA-10 to OPPO’s 95,105, 203,205 in my opinion Marantz is a big winner. Compering cost of Oppos to Marantz it is a different story. I have few Oppos in my system before and I never liked its sound.
I also compered Marantz to my beloved Sony XA777ES SACD player and the quality of sound of both players is very close. I am afraid of my setup. Perhaps there is some unit that can’t handle Marantz to its full potential.
I would like to hear more of your opinions.
JA Fant likes this.
post #170 of 179 Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadekj View Post
Now I am the happy owner of Ernesto's SA-10 player, and I've done some extensive listening. The quality of a sound and esthetics of the player are from the higher shelf. Is it reference CD/SACD player? I don’t know; it depends from who will set the requirements for its superiority.
Marantz designed SA-10 so it needs to be used with Marantz integrated amplifier or some other preamp/ amp that has volume control. On the remote there is no volume control associated with the player but with the amp. It might be some kind of limitation for people who do not like preamps.
I’ve tried SA-10 with my Doge-8 tube preamp and my DIY tube preamp that is better from Doge-8 connected to Bryston 4SST2 amp, and Tannoy Revolution XT6 speakers. The sound is first class but I would like to try setup without preamp and some better speakers that SA-10 deserves.
I also connected SA-10 to my Onkyo TX-RZ800 receiver (that is awesome) and the sound was different, more digital, with very good transparency and resolution, but a little harsh like this from OPPO 205.
Compering Marantz SA-10 to OPPO’s 95,105, 203,205 in my opinion Marantz is a big winner. Compering cost of Oppos to Marantz it is a different story. I have few Oppos in my system before and I never liked its sound.
I also compered Marantz to my beloved Sony XA777ES SACD player and the quality of sound of both players is very close. I am afraid of my setup. Perhaps there is some unit that can’t handle Marantz to its full potential.
I would like to hear more of your opinions.
Welcome! tadekj

Thank You for posting your review of the SA-10. This player was designed and built from the ground up, so yes, it is a Reference spinner. Another important fact is that Marantz finally built their own drive/laser assembly for this particular model. I hope to get my audition by year's end.
post #171 of 179 Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM

I would be happier if there would be additional 5.1 channel analog outputs as well as HDMI high resolution/DDS out. There is option of playing 5.1 channels in stereo mode; who needs something like this?

I do not understand why most audiophiles do not like multichannel SACD that from my experience has a very good sound with large and deep sound stage.
JA Fant likes this.
post #172 of 179 Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I would be happier if there would be additional 5.1 channel analog outputs as well as HDMI high resolution/DDS out. There is option of playing 5.1 channels in stereo mode; who needs something like this?

I do not understand why most audiophiles do not like multichannel SACD that from my experience has a very good sound with large and deep sound stage.
Several reasons.

One—belief that $$$ spent on five (or more) speakers will get you way better speakers if you only buy two. Can’t really argue against this point in isolation.

Two—we have two ears, so only need two speakers. A weak argument but one repeated fairly often.

Three—fear of “in the band” mixes. Even among those who do like MCH audio, there are many who prefer the extra channels be ambience rather than actually surround like. I prefer “in the band” mixes myself, at least with studio recordings.

Four—distrust of DSP. Unless one has 5 identical full-range speakers in an ideal placement within an acoustically “perfect” room, a subwoofer and some sort of bass management/time alignment is needed, thus introducing dreaded A/D and D/A conversions. I am unconvinced that any properly set up bass management/time alignment is audibly worse than a “pure analogue” signal path outside a theoretical “perfect room”. Opinions vary greatly.

There are, of course, other reasons.
JA Fant likes this.
post #173 of 179 Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 AM

When I read reviews about high end audio components usually reviewer uses words like; wide sound stage, high stage, deep stage, instruments placement, vocal placement, air around instruments etc.
Is it possible to get there without multichannel recording? Aren't all 2 channel effects from manipulation of multitrack recordings not multichannel recording?
MCH SACD with classical music or jazz if is correctly recorded can give holographic stage effects without very expensive speakers. I know this from my experience.

Most of the time I am listening to classical music and Jazz and it is why I prefer MCH SACD recording because in my opinion it is superior to Stereo SACD, RB CD’s or low resolution files.
Recently I developed needs for holographic sound stage and this is my goal to build system that can deliver my desire. I will keep Marantz SA 10 if it can deliver holographic stage using Stereo SACD format. So far I got some good experience with very few disks regardless of recording format. I like some SACD's from Challenge Classics. Most of recordings still gives flat stage without depth.
JA Fant likes this.
post #174 of 179 Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 PM

I am learning how to insert some pictures. So far it is the best I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz-SA-10-Inside[1].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	2421744   Click image for larger version

Name:	SA-10-internal[1].png
Views:	30
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	2421746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz_SA10_Laufwerk[1].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	2421748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz_SA10_6[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2421750  
JA Fant likes this.
post #175 of 179 Old 07-02-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am learning how to insert some pictures. So far it is the best I can do.

tadekj

what other gear, cabling, is in your system?
post #176 of 179 Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
tadekj

what other gear, cabling, is in your system?
Recently, except my SACD players, I have Bryston 4SST2 stereo amplifier, Doge 8 tube preamp, and Tannoy Revolution XT6 speakers for my small 10 x 12' room. Cables are rather basic $30-$100. I also have 3 small B&W satellites when I am listening in 5 channels.
JA Fant likes this.
post #177 of 179 Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Recently, except my SACD players, I have Bryston 4SST2 stereo amplifier, Doge 8 tube preamp, and Tannoy Revolution XT6 speakers for my small 10 x 12' room. Cables are rather basic $30-$100. I also have 3 small B&W satellites when I am listening in 5 channels.

Much Thanks! The Bryston 4B-SST or newer Cubed series is on my list as well. Good to read that the SA-10 matches well.
post #178 of 179 Old 07-03-2018, 05:43 PM

The Bryston 4BSST2 is a good very musical amp, and works well with SA-10 and my speakers. I've tried many different setups and at the moment I have the best result using balanced inputs of the amp. Unfortunately my Doge 8 preamp has no balanced inputs but BAL outputs only.

I have also very nice results when I played cd on my Pavilion laptop connected by USB cable with SA-10 internal DAC, and I used balanced out of the player to balanced in of Bryston. This way I could use volume control of Windows Media Player, and the music was very dynamic and crisp with nice resolution. (Many especially younger guys probably like this kind of pure digital music). For some reason ripped CD in my opinion didn't sound as well as CD played from the DVD drive of my laptop.
When I play CD with my tube preamp the music is more relaxed which works better for my ears. All together SA-10 has a big potential and it is pleasure to play music with it.
JA Fant likes this.
post #179 of 179 Old 07-04-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Bryston 4BSST2 is a good very musical amp, and works well with SA-10 and my speakers. I've tried many different setups and at the moment I have the best result using balanced inputs of the amp. Unfortunately my Doge 8 preamp has no balanced inputs but BAL outputs only.

I have also very nice results when I played cd on my Pavilion laptop connected by USB cable with SA-10 internal DAC, and I used balanced out of the player to balanced in of Bryston. This way I could use volume control of Windows Media Player, and the music was very dynamic and crisp with nice resolution. (Many especially younger guys probably like this kind of pure digital music). For some reason ripped CD in my opinion didn't sound as well as CD played from the DVD drive of my laptop.
When I play CD with my tube preamp the music is more relaxed which works better for my ears. All together SA-10 has a big potential and it is pleasure to play music with it.

Right On! tadekj

the hidden value within the SA-10 is a state-of-the-art DAC. This player directly competes w/ Aesthetix Romulus and Audio Research (ARC) CD9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page