Gadget for car to play FLAC and DSD files - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2018, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Gadget for car to play FLAC and DSD files

Hi there

I've been trying to find a solution to listen to my FLAC and DSD collection in my car through AUX without the need of using a mobile phone.

Currently I've a Galaxy S8+ paired to Oppo HA2-SE DAC through micro-usb to Type C OTG and then DAC connected through AUX to car.

I've a paid Onkyo HF player app to play my FLAC and DSD collection stored on the memory card of my phone. (128GB)

Questions
1) is there a gadget that can combine all above mentioned that I can FIT IT and FORGET IT to my AUX or USB of car.
2) what alternative solutions do I have for not connecting and disconnecting every time.

Appreciate your feedback.

Paul

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Denon AVR-3313
Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Sony 32" (80cm), 16:9 EX650

Dell Alienware X51 i5 Nvidia GTX660
BenQ XL2420t Gaming Monitor
Altec Lancing ATP3 2.1 Speakers

Canon EOS 700D DSLR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I've never found the environment of a car good enough to worry about my hi-rez flac files being played in my car (2014 BMW-328 which is fairly quiet). I use XLD to convert all my files to a format that can be played by the car on a USB drive. I needed a consistent format for my car and my wife's 2016 forrester. I chose 320 kb AAC. XLD does all the necessary file conversions. (My BMW will play flac, but my wife's subaru won't) I can also play off our phones, but like the USB drive permanently plugged in as the best solution. I have two 64 GB usb drives I bought on sale for like 12 bucks for both of them. I can store almost everything I'd ever want to listen to out of our vast CD and high rez flac collection in that format, so I basically have all my music in the car. One caveat is I have to rip the CD layer of SACD to have those files available in the car.

For the most part, I listen to XM radio, and use the USB drive rarely.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was looking for solution too, but flac is only offer aftermarket deck which I dont want. For now i like the idea of walkman, i can also bring it and listen if i am going to for a walk. I also have sony hAP-Z1ES which I love.

Sony - Walkman NW-A35 Hi-Res 16GB expand 128gb

ZHILAI-T5 ,ebay sell this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I've never found the environment of a car good enough to worry about my hi-rez flac files being played in my car (2014 BMW-328 which is fairly quiet). I use XLD to convert all my files to a format that can be played by the car on a USB drive. I needed a consistent format for my car and my wife's 2016 forrester. I chose 320 kb AAC. XLD does all the necessary file conversions. (My BMW will play flac, but my wife's subaru won't) I can also play off our phones, but like the USB drive permanently plugged in as the best solution. I have two 64 GB usb drives I bought on sale for like 12 bucks for both of them. I can store almost everything I'd ever want to listen to out of our vast CD and high rez flac collection in that format, so I basically have all my music in the car. One caveat is I have to rip the CD layer of SACD to have those files available in the car.

For the most part, I listen to XM radio, and use the USB drive rarely.
I'm looking into to buy a same model/year BMW, so it can play 16/44.1 flacs as you say via the USb port, how big of a drive will it recognize though as my current drive in my current car is 128gb. Also what format the drive has to be, or if that matters. Thanks.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #5 of 6 Old 01-20-2018, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I'm looking into to buy a same model/year BMW, so it can play 16/44.1 flacs as you say via the USb port, how big of a drive will it recognize though as my current drive in my current car is 128gb. Also what format the drive has to be, or if that matters. Thanks.
I don't really know. I use a 64 gb drive which is about 120 cds at full resolution. I use slightly compressed via usb, 320 kb, so I could have a few hundred cds via usb drive at 64 gb. I've found that to be enough of a collection for the car. Plus the BMW has a built in hard drive at your disposal as well. 12 GB is allocated to music. You can load it up straight from the usb drive. You can also rip a cd to the cars hard drive while playing it, however its sounds rough at a very highly compressed level so I wouldn't recommend ripping in the car.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I use an AGPtek Rocker with a 120g SB card. Supports FLAC. It is made cheap but easy to leave in car and play through AUX. Sold on Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page